Shopping and Dressing and Wifi

Sandra1616

Hi everyone,

I am excited about going on a cruise.  What do most women dress like on a cruise to the Caribbean?  How casual or formal?  Also, I am perked up about shopping on a cruise.  What women's clothing stores and jewelry shops do they have on Celebrity?  How easy and costly is using WiFi on celebrity, if I need to use it?

If you use the search (magnifying glass upper right) you will get more answers than you can shake a stick at.  Search 1) Dress Code, 2) Stores onboard, and 3) WIFI cost.  Then come back with more specific ?'s.  All three have topics within the last week, so the information will be current.

• Haha 1

The Celebrity site has a good description of the dress code.  If you have booked and set up an account you can log in, look at the Cruise Planner for you cruise and set the cost for wi-fi.  If you don't need wi-fi access 24/7 you might be better to just use free wi-fi in port.

The women's clothing store carries a few brands but shopping is not like going to the mall with a variety of women's clothing stores.  Sizes and selection are limited. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

As others have said you can easily get these answers either by looking at posts over the past week and or just go to Celebrity.com    Shops on the ship are limited and will vary by the ship you are sailing.   Edge mostly have high end shops.

For internet -  log on select your cruise and choose Manage Reservation.    You will be taken to a page that will show you the options and price of Internet (it is different depending on length of cruise)    They may also be offering a sale right now.

• Haha 1

There really isn't a lot of shopping to get excited about. The majority of clothing is Chicos, Rebecca Minkoff, and Celebrity Logo. There is a $10 boutique one or more days. I don't buy jewelry so I'm not sure what brands they have, but I think they have Effy. There is a handbag store which carries popular department store brands. 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, royalcruz said:

There is a handbag store which carries popular department store brands. 

They have Michael Kors on board but most styles are from a few seasons ago and prices the same as what you would pay at outlet stores and sometimes more as outlets have additional % off. You really need to know your on land pricing for everything you purchase. 

• Haha 1

I ditto the response above.  Check the website for specifics regarding dress code- people will only give you their opinions-not the actual dress code information.  Regarding purchases, have gotten some items for a fair price- but honestly if you are looking for real bargains- jewelry, watches etc., you probably can do better at home or in a port.   If you consider these items memories of the ship-buy them.  The wiifi rates vary- specials typically available, so watch the celebrity site for your cruise.

No real high end designers except on the Edge- and for example Tiffany, cartier and Bulgari items are price fixed- as are other designers.  

Enjoy your cruise.

• Haha 1

You can usually pre-purchase discounted wifi starting at about $20/day and 2 devices for about $30/day. This is online on your cruise planner. 

People tend to dress nicely on Celebrity, but the dress-up nights have become less formal. Women will be wearing sundresses,  cocktail dresses,  clubwear, little black dresses,  and nice tops with black pants or dark jeans. So wear what you like. I like to wear black with sparkly statement jewelry. If we sail from our home port in Florida I wear gowns and my husband wears Tux or dark suit. If we go overseas he doesn't take a jacket and I leave the gowns at home. 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sandra1616 said:

Hi everyone,

I am excited about going on a cruise.  What do most women dress like on a cruise to the Caribbean?  How casual or formal?  Also, I am perked up about shopping on a cruise.  What women's clothing stores and jewelry shops do they have on Celebrity?  How easy and costly is using WiFi on celebrity, if I need to use it?

ive not been on board yet but id think its best to wear what you feel comfy in regardless of others. i do realize men have it made in this area though. we can have clothing, wallets, even socks, that came out years ago and still know we look good and dont need the latest and greatest that the fashion mags insist you have. 

i think researching the shopping at your ports would be a good idea though. it's fun going in all the local shops and i particularly love going into supermarkets

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, luckyinpa said:

i think researching the shopping at your ports would be a good idea though. it's fun going in all the local shops and i particularly love going into supermarkets

You'll get better deals in the ports of call shops than on the ship. I had my eye on a John Hardy necklace on board went a couple of times to try on but she would not budge on price.  Ended up getting in St. Thomas couple hundred bucks cheaper, identical piece which I wore to dinner and still wear. So do not buy from the first place you see do some comparison shopping. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Sandra1616 said:

Hi everyone,

Dress:  During the day, you will either be in port or just lounging around the ship on a sea day...dress extremely comfortably.  On the ship, if you're the type who likes to lounge around the pool, it's swimwear...but, if you eat lunch in the main dining room, they don't like swimwear, so change into anything casual and comfortable--same for just hanging out around the ship... In port, it depends on what you're doing--going to a beach or on a snorkel tour, it's swimwear and some sort of cover-up...otherwise, just easy, comfortable clothes.  In the evening, most evenings, you'll likely change into something a little nicer but still casual....something you'd wear to a casual restaurant at home.  On a 7 night cruise, for example, there will be two "Evening Chic" nights...so bring clothes fitting for a little nicer evening out--though still not formal--like what you'd wear to a a nicer restaurant or to a night club.  And many people will ignore this entirely and just wear a little nicer casual outfit.  (As a man, I just go with black slacks and a long sleeve black/white shirt, sometimes a sports coat, sometimes not).

Shopping:  They have a few shops including lots of jewelry and watches--much of it fairly expensive, no great bargains...More fun shopping in port.

Internet:  It's a bit pricey...and very slow.  Try to find wifi on port stops.  You can usually find it as you are getting back on board at the port terminals.  Catch up with your emails and such there before you get back on the ship.

• Thanks 1

The replies are awesome.  I have been living in sweats and t-shirt for too long. I will have to upgrade my clothes before I go including new swim wear.  How do overweight middle age women wearing solid colour shorts and short sleeve t shirts fit in on a cruise?  Is this dressing too casual?  I would like to bring enough clothes for a 9 to14 day cruise. I am slightly obsessed with buying a statement everyday necklace perhaps with a pendent, but not mass marketed.  Bulgari selling on a ship? Wow. What is this $10.00 boutique?  I like the idea of visiting a supermarket. What do you buy there?  I would like to try local vendors for a beautiful dress. I have big -size 10 canadian- feet so if I see attractive shoes, I will grab them.  I do like handbags, but will probably get a leather shopper before hand.  I won't buy a new one unless it is perfect.  Your thoughts?

Edited by Sandra1616

1 hour ago, Sandra1616 said:

The replies are awesome.  I have been living in sweats and t-shirt for too long. I will have to upgrade my clothes before I go including new swim wear.  How do overweight middle age women wearing solid colour shorts and short sleeve t shirts fit in on a cruise?  Is this dressing too casual?  I would like to bring enough clothes for a 9 to14 day cruise. I am slightly obsessed with buying a statement everyday necklace perhaps with a pendent, but not mass marketed.  Bulgari selling on a ship? Wow. What is this $10.00 boutique?  I like the idea of visiting a supermarket. What do you buy there?  I would like to try local vendors for a beautiful dress. I have big -size 10 canadian- feet so if I see attractive shoes, I will grab them.  I do like handbags, but will probably get a leather shopper before hand.  I won't buy a new one unless it is perfect.  Your thoughts?

You will find all of the above at any Winners store in your area. I have bought some beautiful statement necklaces there, all my swimwear, cover ups, tops etc.  All the spring merchandise is coming in now so great selections.  Shorts and tees ok for beach days but try and find something flowy for dinner to pair with various tops.  I stay away from the $10 items as a lot of junk.

• Haha 1

$10 items include beach bags, cheap sunglasses, cover ups and wraps ( including those for larger ladies ) and costume jewellery - they had different sales on different days.

It was my first ever cruise  last month. On an 11 night cruise  During the day I wore shorts and tops or sundresses over swimwear and in the evenings just some pretty summer dresses, I took a couple of more sparkly dresses to wear on the evening chic nights. I took a pair of closed toe sandals for excursions, 1 pair flip flops, 2 pairs of sandals 1 black, 1 white for daywear and 2 pairs of sandals 1 silver, 1 gold to wear in the evenings, plus a couple of wraps to wear over the dresses if it got chilly. I took 2 handbags, one was asmall across  body bag for daytime/excursions   and the other an evening bag. I took various bits of jewellery including a statement necklace and a couple of pairs of dangly sparkly earrings.  Hope this helps as some suggestions. I am middle aged and overweight and didnt feel overdressed/ underdressed or out of place, everyone had their own style so just relax and enjoy. 

• Like 1

Are casual walking shoes too casual?  I do visit Winners often where I live, but I never  have luck but handbags are great.  I prefer  Addition-Elle, and Penningtons for my clothing needs. They always have great merchandise and sales.  I am looking forward to shopping for bathing suits and sundresses.  How many bathing suits should I bring for 9 days?  Is laundry expensive?  Thanks, Sandra

27 minutes ago, Sandra1616 said:

Are casual walking shoes too casual?  I do visit Winners often where I live, but I never  have luck but handbags are great.  I prefer  Addition-Elle, and Penningtons for my clothing needs. They always have great merchandise and sales.  I am looking forward to shopping for bathing suits and sundresses.  How many bathing suits should I bring for 9 days?  Is laundry expensive?  Thanks, Sandra

I always wear sturdy shoes for walking around the ports as many uneven surfaces and potholes especially in the Caribbean.  Try Winners for purses and sunglasses lots of designer brands at deep discounts. I bring 3 swimsuits and wear all one is always drying on balcony overnight which I clip on chair. 2 cover ups should do it. Laundry onboard around 50 bucks unless you are Elite but DO NOT give them your suit to wash. I wear mine into the shower to get rid of chlorine. 

• Haha 1

Hi everyone,

There is quite diversity. During the day is casual - capris with a nice blouse and sandals. A bit dressier at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, drakes2 said:

I always wear sturdy shoes for walking around the ports as many uneven surfaces and potholes especially in the Caribbean.  Try Winners for purses and sunglasses lots of designer brands at deep discounts. I bring 3 swimsuits and wear all one is always drying on balcony overnight which I clip on chair. 2 cover ups should do it. Laundry onboard around 50 bucks unless you are Elite but DO NOT give them your suit to wash. I wear mine into the shower to get rid of chlorine. 

We wear sneakers around the ports-  I typically bring 2-4 swim suites and tops-  We are elite plus and get some free laundry- they run specials.  However, I wouldn't give them swim suits and wash them out by hand- typically only underwear, pjs, socks and tee shirts- good stuff either waits until we get home or the ship has dry cleaning available- not cheap.

That is why I travel heavy as we like choice.  Sometimes the ship is cold- so remember sweaters, sweatshirts and more formal pashmina or dressy jacket-

• Like 2