Terrible Havana Experience Aboard Vista

SailorMarg

7 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The problem, at least from my experience, is you get far more than one or two on Carnival ships these days. It seems every cruise on Carnival we see more rude and obnoxious people than the cruise before. As much as I like Carnival, it has gotten to the point where we are booking most of our cruises on Royal Carribean. Maybe we have just been lucky, but my wife and I have never seen anything like the behavior we see on a Carnival ship on a Royal Carribean ship. 

I have had two experiences along this line in 45 cruises, one was late the last night on Oasis and the other was on our Sunrise cruise with a player on the balcony (teens) which I addressed and it went away.  

• Like 1

While never on a ship with a Havana area, I can say I have been "bombarded" with people playing music pretty loudly on speakers - especially last cruise on Magic.  When I sit in Serenity, I want to be serene - not listening to other people's music.  If I wanted loud music I would sit on Lido deck.  Sorry op had issues on their cruise, and that GS did not really help them.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SailorMarg said:

Absolutely nothing.  They have chosen their demographic and I will move on. But, I was hoping that their response would have been more specific to my concerns and less generic.  I've stopped hoping.

What have you asked Carnival to do to rectify the situation?

And I would say that going with a different cruise line probably would be good for you to find an experience more to your liking. Nothing wrong with that. For example, I don’t like Holland America because the place was dead at night. 

10 hours ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

The problem, at least from my experience, is you get far more than one or two on Carnival ships these days. It seems every cruise on Carnival we see more rude and obnoxious people than the cruise before. As much as I like Carnival, it has gotten to the point where we are booking most of our cruises on Royal Carribean. Maybe we have just been lucky, but my wife and I have never seen anything like the behavior we see on a Carnival ship on a Royal Carribean ship. 

This has been our experience also.  Each Carnival cruise over the past couple years has been worse than the previous as far as rude, obnoxious, and extremely drunk passengers.  And Carnival does nothing to curtail this, and just keeps serving them more and more alcohol.  We too have not seen this same downward trend on Royal Caribbean.  We prefer to sail out of Galveston as it's a three hour drive so we've moved our next four (4) cruises to Royal.  When it's really important that our fellow passengers “play nice”, like on our upcoming 15 day full transit Panama cruise, we use Holland America, where we thoroughly enjoy their subdued environment and entertainment with Lincoln Center Stage, BB King Blues Club, and Piano Bar.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, SailorMarg said:

This has been our experience also.  Each Carnival cruise over the past couple years has been worse than the previous as far as rude, obnoxious, and extremely drunk passengers.  And Carnival does nothing to curtail this, and just keeps serving them more and more alcohol.  We too have not seen this same downward trend on Royal Caribbean.  We prefer to sail out of Galveston as it's a three hour drive so we've moved our next four (4) cruises to Royal.  When it's really important that our fellow passengers “play nice”, like on our upcoming 15 day full transit Panama cruise, we use Holland America, where we thoroughly enjoy their subdued environment and entertainment with Lincoln Center Stage, BB King Blues Club, and Piano Bar.  

Care to answer my questions?

I'm no fan of those things either. The speaker thing is annoying. Imagine letting this ruin your cruise though. Making it sound like at every turn, there was the guy with a boombox on his shoulder, blasting music. In the dining room, CANNONBALL!

It sounds like Carnival isn't the right product for you. There may be some people around you trying to have a good time. You can go be a stick in the mud on a different, non-mass market, line

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

I'm no fan of those things either. The speaker thing is annoying. Imagine letting this ruin your cruise though. Making it sound like at every turn, there was the guy with a boombox on his shoulder, blasting music. In the dining room, CANNONBALL!

It sounds like Carnival isn't the right product for you. There may be some people around you trying to have a good time. You can go be a stick in the mud on a different, non-mass market, line

🙄 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SailorMarg said:

This has been our experience also.  Each Carnival cruise over the past couple years has been worse than the previous as far as rude, obnoxious, and extremely drunk passengers.  

Yet, you spent $4k to go on the Vista, knowing that each cruise the last couple of years is worse than the previous one?

It stinks you had a bad time on that cruise. But it sounds like you are more upset at Carnival’s response even though you haven’t said what you are looking for. 

I would definitely say that if the Showtime noise from the MDR bugs you, Holland America is the place for you. And that’s a good thing. Everyone can find what they like.  

2 hours ago, Joebucks said:

Except they paid to be in Havana area so I imagine it was at most turns as there were apparently a group of self absorbed people in a contained area.

People having a good time does not give anyone the right to infringe on someone else’s right to have a good time. And if your idea of having a good time is to be drunk, loud and obnoxious maybe Carnival shouldn’t be the product for you as they have rules against it and should enforce them.

Most people can have a great time without being drunk and obtrusive while not being a stick in the mud. There are plenty of non offensive alternatives.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Hoosierpop said:

Yet, you spent $4k to go on the Vista, knowing that each cruise the last couple of years is worse than the previous one?

It stinks you had a bad time on that cruise. But it sounds like you are more upset at Carnival’s response even though you haven’t said what you are looking for. 

I would definitely say that if the Showtime noise from the MDR bugs you, Holland America is the place for you. And that’s a good thing. Everyone can find what they like.  

I spent $4000 to go on the Vista, in the Havana area, this year because my experience last year was positive, *in that area*.  The remainder of the ship continued it's race to the bottom that I've experienced over the past years.  But, this year, that descent creeped into the Havana area and I've chosen to no longer throw good money after bad once realizing that Carnival has no intention of controlling outrageous (not simply fun) behavior.  Once others' freedom to have their version of a “good time” infringes on my freedom to do the same, I'll go where the risk of such outrageous behavior is minimized.  Until this year that included the Havana area.  After this year there's no escaping it with Carnival.

I’ve clearly stated what I was looking for as to Carnival's response.  First, and foremost, better control of out of control  passengers while onboard.  And any response to my concerns, after returning, that was specific to my concerns and not generic platitudes.  To answer your unasked yet implied question, no, I did not ask for any monetary compensation.  It was my decision to spend the money, so it is my loss.  I am accountable for my choices.  But I will not make the same mistake twice.

The Showtime noise from the main dining room did not “bug” me, but made clear that the cost of insulating the cabin from both dining room and Havana bar, as inexpensive as that solution may be, was more than Carnival wants to spend on giving their passengers a better experience.  Holland America is one of my cruising choices because of many factors, but mostly it's their lack of rude, obnoxious, drunk passengers.  Are we among the youngest in the crowd there?  Yup.  And that's a good thing when I'm deciding where to spend our cruising dollars.  Politeness still has high value to this cruiser. And the majority of Carnival's passengers are of a caliber and age that has not been taught politeness nor common courtesy.  And the entertainment on Holland America is far superior to whatever low end musicians Carnival pays to “entertain” the masses.  There is simply no comparison between the musicians in HAL's BB King Blues Club and those that were “playing” in Ocean Plaza recently aboard the Vista.  Not to mention HAL's Lincoln Center musicians and their excellent piano players in their piano bar.  

As for the ships, it's hard not to feel like Vista is designed after a low rise professional medical building.  I'll choose a warm nautical feeling any day.  

If you’ve not cruised Holland America then there’s no way you'd understand the difference enough to judge for yourself.

So yes, “everyone can find what they like” as you put it.  I like civility and consideration of one's fellow passengers.  You do you.

Edited by SailorMarg
Typo
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, SailorMarg said:

I spent $4000 to go on the Vista, in the Havana area, this year because my experience last year was positive, *in that area*.  The remainder of the ship continued it's race to the bottom that I've experienced over the past years.  But, this year, that descent creeped into the Havana area and I've chosen to no longer throw good money after bad once realizing that Carnival has no intention of controlling outrageous (not simply fun) behavior.  Once others' freedom to have their version of a “good time” infringes on my freedom to do the same, I'll go where the risk of such outrageous behavior is minimized.  Until this year that included the Havana area.  After this year there's no escaping it with Carnival.

I’ve clearly stated what I was looking for as to Carnival's response.  First, and foremost, better control of out of control  passengers while onboard.  And any response to my concerns, after returning, that was specific to my concerns and not generic platitudes.  To answer your unasked yet implied question, no, I did not ask for any monetary compensation.  It was my decision to spend the money, so it is my loss.  I am accountable for my choices.  But I will not make the same mistake twice.

The Showtime noise from the main dining room did not “bug” me, but made clear that the cost of insulating the cabin from both dining room and Havana bar, as inexpensive as that solution may be, was more than Carnival wants to spend on giving their passengers a better experience.  Holland America is one of my cruising choices because of many factors, but mostly it's their lack of rude, obnoxious, drunk passengers.  Are we among the youngest in the crowd there?  Yup.  And that's a good thing when I'm deciding where to spend our cruising dollars.  Politeness still has high value to this cruiser. And the majority of Carnival's passengers are of a caliber and age that has not been taught politeness nor common courtesy.  And the entertainment on Holland America is far superior to whatever low end musicians Carnival pays to “entertain” the masses.  There is simply no comparison between the musicians in HAL's BB King Blues Club and those that were “playing” in Ocean Plaza recently aboard the Vista.  Not to mention HAL's Lincoln Center musicians and their excellent piano players in their piano bar.  

As for the ships, it's hard not to feel like Vista is designed after a low rise professional medical building.  I'll choose a warm nautical feeling any day.  

If you’ve not cruised Holland America then there’s no way you'd understand the difference enough to judge for yourself.

So yes, “everyone can find what they like” as you put it.  I like civility and consideration of one's fellow passengers.  You do you.

Maybe Carnival didn’t think those other passengers crossed a line? And Carnival sells out the Havana cabins so not sure why they need to spend money on noise insulation.

As yes, I’ll do me. And one thing I won’t do is spend what I normally do for 2 cruises on a cruise line that has not met my expectations for a couple of years. But you like Holland America’s ships and entertainment better so that’s good.

Holland America is fine. Just way too expensive and not enough to do for my tastes. But I can see why people like it. And that’s what is great about the industry. Everyone can find something for what they like to do.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

Except they paid to be in Havana area so I imagine it was at most turns as there were apparently a group of self absorbed people in a contained area.

People having a good time does not give anyone the right to infringe on someone else’s right to have a good time. And if your idea of having a good time is to be drunk, loud and obnoxious maybe Carnival shouldn’t be the product for you as they have rules against it and should enforce them.

Most people can have a great time without being drunk and obtrusive while not being a stick in the mud. There are plenty of non offensive alternatives.

What is your point about them paying for Havana? Other people paid to be in Havana too. While I don't condone the behavior of those people, no where does it state that the Havana is some serene relaxation retreat. That can easily be found in Serenity, but we all know how this goes. "I paid for X and had X expectations, and that is what I expect to get". The start of many cruising complaints.

Often, the internet makes Carnival sound like a frat party, with bodies passed out everywhere, people puking, running around, etc. I think many of us have been on enough cruises to know this just isn't the case. You can put two different people on the same cruise and always hear vastly different opinions. Most of us wouldn't need more than one hand to count the number of people who have bothered us on vacation. With that said, it is a more lively atmosphere than many other cruise lines.

If you're bothered enough by stuff like jumping in the pool, then I don't know what to tell you. I've been splashed on many vacations and that's one of the last things I'd care about. Maybe the stick in the mud analogy was a little much, but it honestly sounds that if you're this concerned about these things and it's bothering you on every cruise, you should find a different product.

• Like 5

I agree Joe. (Btw, I like your name. :classic_laugh:) Marg, from the sound of things, and no insult intended, Carnival may be a little to hedonistic for your tastes and demeanor. There are several cruise lines that will offer you what you are seeking. I wish you well.

• Like 1

To the best of my knowledge, Carnival or their approach has not changed. As I previously stated the op can choose to spend their cash and state their opinions as they wish.  Lol. First time I have heard the FUN ships described as hedonistic.  We are racing to the bottom after all.  

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

While I don't condone the behavior of those people, no where does it state that the Havana is some serene relaxation retreat

Joe, I never like being a contrarian but at least the age requirement for Havana suggests they want it to be a little quieter.  Obviously some people “relax” while skydiving (lol)

• Children must be 12 years of age or older in order to cruise in a Havana stateroom. The Havana staterooms and experience is designed to be a place where guests can relax and recharge in a more intimate and private setting and the age requirement will enable us to sustain the desired atmosphere.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

Joe, I never like being a contrarian but at least the age requirement for Havana suggests they want it to be a little quieter.  Obviously some people “relax” while skydiving (lol)

• Children must be 12 years of age or older in order to cruise in a Havana stateroom. The Havana staterooms and experience is designed to be a place where guests can relax and recharge in a more intimate and private setting and the age requirement will enable us to sustain the desired atmosphere.

Stating your view is def n9ot being a contrarian. It is what makes CC work so well..

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Stating your view is def n9ot being a contrarian. It is what makes CC work so well..

Maybe contrarian is the wrong word.  I like Joe’s posts and the open discussion. but had to disagree.  I guess I too would be upset if you pay more for something that was intended to be a relaxing & little was done to help ensure it.  This was probably a rare instance and OP is overreacting.  We all need to find our happy place in life.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, soonernstlouis said:

Maybe contrarian is the wrong word.  I like Joe’s posts and the open discussion. but had to disagree.  I guess I too would be upset if you pay more for something that was intended to be a relaxing & little was done to help ensure it.  This was probably a rare instance and OP is overreacting.  We all need to find our happy place in life.

Amen to that

I was on the Vista at Christmas and I definitely think they take a "hands off" approach unless it is a safety issue.  And, in my experience, this even extends to ignoring rule breaking.  Not sure if it is Carnival or just this particular set of staff.  Perhaps it is my personality, but when I encounter a fellow passenger doing something bothersome or inappropriate, I address it directly with them. Usually, if done in a polite manner, it goes over better than involving staff.  

Granted, I once had that no go so well during muster as I had a man (who was definitely old enough to know better) call me a fat ass and get in my face because I said something to him about shoving my 80 year old mother (who uses a walker) out of the way so he could get on the elevator in front of her even though the CD (Schwartz) was quite literally simultaneously announcing the elevators were to be used only for the disabled.

I think part of the problem is the more people you get in a confined space, the more chances there will be someone who is an entitled jerk.  The problem is, this isn't specific to "class" of people or cruise line.  People with this sort of attitude can be found anywhere and it is just luck of the draw whether you end up in their path.  

• Like 4

21 hours ago, marshhawk said:

I am sorry that you had a rough time with a poor pick of cabin, and a rowdy rich bunch in the Havana area.  I have friends in high places and they have cruised with me on Carnival and hunkered on down with the bottom feeders...:classic_rolleyes:, truth is,, that Carnival doesn't reprimand the bad patrons, because they will have a tendency to bad mouth the cruise line even when they are in the wrong, but the listener to their complaint wont hear that, they hear that Carnival is bad.  Which it is not.  Maybe Carnival should get rid of the class status and leave that to Cunard.  A bad cruise experience was that, just a bad cruise experience in a situation that you could not escape from.  Doesn't mean that every Carnival experience will be bad, unless you cant let go of what is bugging you.  My momma always said-"Where ever you go, there you are."  I hope that you enjoy your next cruise, whatever cruise line it is on.

I too hate to listen to others music.  It is in the rules and regulations to use ear buds when listening to your personal devices.

Totally Agree with the "Carnival should get rid of the class status and leave that to Cunard"......The "Havana class section" needs to be rethought" 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, mpdog42 said:

Totally Agree with the "Carnival should get rid of the class status and leave that to Cunard"......The "Havana class section" needs to be rethought" 

They did rethink it, they made the access exclusive, as it should have been.   

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

8 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yeah.. Ok.. sure🙄

• Like 3

On 2/22/2020 at 5:33 PM, Drinal01 said:

Everyone is always at the mercy of our fellow passengers.   Sometimes you get lucky (which you normally quickly forget) and sometimes you don't.

Can happen no matter the cruise line or the place on the ship.  You paid a premium expecting that other guest paying a premium would be of similar mind to you and you were disappointed. That is understandable.

Security has a fine line between being over bearing and allowing people to have fun.  Everyone there is a customer.    

Unfortunately its luck of the draw unless you book a private ship.

Well said.

• Like 1