Do you have concerns about cruising at this time? Onboard now?

gottagocit

11 hours ago, rabin1 said:

I THINK there is a number to push when you call Princess if you are working with a TA. Just again be patient I have a feeling there are very long wait times. This is why I persoanlly never ever use TA. For the little amount you get in OBC from them not worth it. Plus I don;t think they watch pricing etc. Just my opinion. Mine was cancelled instantly and refunded within 5 days. I emailed my Princess Vacation Planner.

Good Luck

Kathy

To each his/her own!  Just as far as our experiences go, we don't only get a little OBC using a TA, we get a significant discount over what Princess charges.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, npcl said:

you are now starting to see local transmission talking place in Spain, France, Germany and Switzerland. Not nearly as bad as Italy but could also be problem areas in a couple of weeks.

I think Italy just “looks” bad because they’re actually testing people, unlike the US?

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/covid-19-testing/

• Like 2

We are reserved on a cruise Sydney to Fiji leaving March 21. Got an email from Princess today that our first port stop in Lifou, Fiji, has been cancelled and we will have an extra sea day plus reordering of two of the other ports. We fly out to Australia in 2 weeks--3 flights totaling almost 27 hours. I'm more concerned about being on the flights than on the ship, but can't get to Australia any other way. We are going over a week ahead of the cruise so if by any chance Princess decides on a last-minute cancellation we will have to figure out what to do with an additional two+ weeks in Australia.. After the Fiji cruise and 4 days in Sydney we are taking the Golden Princess back to LA (would rather cruise than fly any day!). Since it is scheduled to do the Alaska run this summer I think Princess will want that cruise to go, but don't know how the port stops we are supposed to have will be affected. Just hoping everyone on the ships will stay healthy so we won't be quarantined somewhere. We really haven't considered cancelling ourselves since we are so close to leaving. We planned this trip over a year ago never dreaming anything like this would happen. Isn't there a saying "Life is What Happens To You While You’re Busy Making Other Plans". How true!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Hi Villauk,

I'm still on the same Crown Princess cruise that you were on from Ft.  Lauderdale to Rome, and have not cancelled yet.  I was thinking about taking the cruise, but flying back from Barcelona and skipping Rome, but each day the situation just keeps getting worse.  I keep wishing that Princess would announce a change in itinerary, but they have not said anything yet.  What to do?  This was from a long time ago, but during the first Gulf War, the cruise lines brought all of their ships to sail the Caribbean during that time, so maybe something like that will happen now.  I just wish Princess would address these terrible issues now.  Instead, they are not saying anything, which leaves such a feeling that maybe the best thing to do is just to bail on the cruise.  What to do?  I'm sure many others are asking the same question. 

I’m not on any TAs, but I was replying to Rabin1 as they had commented a couple of weeks ago about how they couldn’t wait for the cruise ships to leave FL and go to Europe. At that time, I said to wait and see if those ships actually left after what had started to transpire in Europe. If no ports are open to the ships, what’s the point of bringing them over? More so, which country wants to be left with another Diamond Princess on their hands. Many, many things to be considered in this present situation.

• Like 1

I’m likely not going on any cruises in the immediate future, more so because my travel buddy, with whom I take almost all of my cruises, is a pessimistic germphobe (her nickname at work was “Bubble Girl”) who is totally freaked out by covid-19. 

I’ve been following the stats, issues and legitimate medical experts, primarily to help counter what I saw as her “irrational” fear, but I’ll admit I’m starting to feel a bit uneasy, especially with the information coming out over the last few days. A couple of studies that used the Diamond Princess situation as a simulation microcosm calculated an R0 of about 2.28, which is not awful, but still significant. We’ve been seeing an estimated fatality rate of 2% which I think is likely high because there are quite a few extremely mild cases that aren’t being captured in the total cases, but, on the other hand, the rates for those over 70 and/or with significant medical issues is looking a lot higher.

i think we’ll know more in a month or so, but if I was within my free cancel window right now, I’d probably consider pulling the plug for now. And frankly, if things improve over the next 75 days, I might try to rebook during the inevitable flash sale 30 days out from sailing.

7 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

I think Italy just “looks” bad because they’re actually testing people, unlike the US?

This is exactly right. My friends son lives in northern Italy and he said it is not like we are hearing in the press They are testing everyone. They are actually one country that is being honest although I heard now that may change as figures may be released differently.  I have a month vaca planned end of May ( land bases) to Italy As of right now I’m still going. 
We cruise in 2 weeks to Caribbean. 

Edited by b_cruise
Spelling
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, b_cruise said:

This is exactly right. My friends son lives in northern Italy and he said it is not like we are hearing in the press They are testing everyone. They are actually one country that is being honest although I heard now that may change as figures may be released differently.  I have a month vaca planned end of May ( land bases) to Italy As of right now I’m still going. 
We cruise in 2 weeks to Caribbean. 

I'm not sure about that. Singapore was never on the do not travel list Or even the warning list yet had a high rate because of their attention to the issue. Italy has now jumped there. 

9 hours ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Hi Villauk,

I'm still on the same Crown Princess cruise that you were on from Ft.  Lauderdale to Rome, and have not cancelled yet.  I was thinking about taking the cruise, but flying back from Barcelona and skipping Rome, but each day the situation just keeps getting worse.  I keep wishing that Princess would announce a change in itinerary, but they have not said anything yet.  What to do?  This was from a long time ago, but during the first Gulf War, the cruise lines brought all of their ships to sail the Caribbean during that time, so maybe something like that will happen now.  I just wish Princess would address these terrible issues now.  Instead, they are not saying anything, which leaves such a feeling that maybe the best thing to do is just to bail on the cruise.  What to do?  I'm sure many others are asking the same question. 

Yes, I am on the same cruise and asking the same questions.  How can they send a cruise ship to a country that has already said, "non-essential visits not welcome?"  For now, even though I have the Platinum Insurance, I will sit tight and wait a little longer in hopes Princess will show some signs of informing us.

Judy in SW Florida

4 hours ago, villauk said:

I’m not on any TAs, but I was replying to Rabin1 as they had commented a couple of weeks ago about how they couldn’t wait for the cruise ships to leave FL and go to Europe. At that time, I said to wait and see if those ships actually left after what had started to transpire in Europe. If no ports are open to the ships, what’s the point of bringing them over? More so, which country wants to be left with another Diamond Princess on their hands. Many, many things to be considered in this present situation.

Yes, thank you for your thoughts. With the CDC now advising against nonessential travel to Italy, I'm sure Princess is aware that something needs to be done.  

• Thanks 1

Hi Everyone...we are still planning on sailing on the Sky on March 14......but I must admit I am a little

anxious about all this talk of corona virus...anyone else feeling this way?  I am sure Princess

would not allow boarding if there was any hint of a problem...but all this talk on TV and radio

has me nervous...wish the media would cut it down a bit.....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mackenzie1 said:

Yes, thank you for your thoughts. With the CDC now advising against nonessential travel to Italy, I'm sure Princess is aware that something needs to be done.  

I’m sure they are. It likely won’t be very long before many route changes or perhaps cancellations will be announced. So many itineraries include stops in Italy but luckily they don’t begin for Princess for a few more weeks so they/we have time to work on plan changes. 

42 minutes ago, Jemnibabe said:

Yes, I am on the same cruise and asking the same questions.  How can they send a cruise ship to a country that has already said, "non-essential visits not welcome?"  For now, even though I have the Platinum Insurance, I will sit tight and wait a little longer in hopes Princess will show some signs of informing us.

Judy in SW Florida

Yes, I'm doing the same thing--waiting with Platinum insurance before deciding what to do.  One other kink in the mix is if Princess goes ahead with the cruise, but disembarks in a non-Italy port, we all will still have to re-book our air since we are currently flying back from Rome.

the thing now is,  ports in the Caribbean are turning away ships even for non-Corona related issues ...

semi Cruises to Nowhere may be happening more than people want, so if a certain port is a make or break issue, you might want to re-think that ...

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RoePost said:

but all this talk on TV and radio has me nervous...wish the media would cut it down a bit.....

You should remember that TV and radio wants you to stay continuously tuned in so you won't miss any of their commercials.  It's like tornado and snow in the south.  At the slightest hint of either, the local news goes 24/7.  Right now the big thing is the virus.  So, they will go wall to wall.  So relax a bit and be a bit skeptical about the news.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, RoePost said:

Hi Everyone...we are still planning on sailing on the Sky on March 14......but I must admit I am a little

anxious about all this talk of corona virus...anyone else feeling this way?  I am sure Princess

would not allow boarding if there was any hint of a problem...but all this talk on TV and radio

has me nervous...wish the media would cut it down a bit.....

I wouldn't say we're overly nervous about sailing in March but as far as booking more cruises we'll be waiting for things to quiet down during the summer.

With all the precautions on the ship we usually catch a cold when sailing at this time of the year.

I'm not sure Princess can actually check for infected people unless they have a fever but just rely on a questionnaire and you know how truthful people actually are. 

This is an article from a couple that was on the Diamond Princess. It definitely makes you want to put travel plans on hold and wait until this virus is no longer a threat. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/28/scenes-coronavirus-quarantine/?fbclid=IwAR1lSsjBY1XK4L6uvdb5acjEow6NFKeZQ0A4RDXxuJngyVSIPt-j2AausUI

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, travellovers2 said:

This is an article from a couple that was on the Diamond Princess. It definitely makes you want to put travel plans on hold and wait until this virus is no longer a threat. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/02/28/scenes-coronavirus-quarantine/?fbclid=IwAR1lSsjBY1XK4L6uvdb5acjEow6NFKeZQ0A4RDXxuJngyVSIPt-j2AausUI

Whoa!!  That DOES make us rethink going....especially going to Italy right now.  We're going to S. America....

But when is the virus no longer a threat?

Edited by suzyed

9 hours ago, AlyssaJames said:

You are right. The CDC in the USA have only tested a small number of people. When they do ramp up testing IMO we will see thousands already infected.

We still plan on going in 5 weeks unless Princess cancels. 

Edited by tk2fast
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, tk2fast said:

You are right. The CDC in the USA have only tested a small number of people. When they do ramp up testing IMO we will see thousands already infected.

We still plan on going in 5 weeks unless Princess cancels. 

I agree. In parts of China now they are swabbing mouths of people in their car coming into towns 

• Like 1