Do you have concerns about cruising at this time? Onboard now?

gottagocit

I have a Barcelona to Rome cruise booked for this summer.  I can only keep an eye on the situation until final payment and then make a decision. I also did purchase Princess's cancel for any reason insurance and will weigh that option.   While the WHO has stated that 80% of the cases appear to be mild, not sure I want to take a risk about a quarantine or the possibility of being hospitalized in a foreign country. And frankly, I don't think we know enough about Covid-19 yet.  So I am in a wait and see mode. I find it concerning that there is an outbreak in Italy. 

But, I have not canceled my April California Coastal.  I think the risk is very low.  Not worried at all.  Have the PBP; alcohol kills everything.  LOL😁

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, richsea said:

It appears that Princess is taking the temperature of their cruisers regarding their travel plans for 2020. I received an email asking me to take a survey regarding my 2020 travel plans in light of the COVID-19 virus. They asked about my thoughts of international & domestic travel, cruise travel to various parts of the world, airline travel, & if travel to various US cities would change due to health concerns. Sounds like perhaps they want to consider future redeployment options. Scary times.

On a cruise I have booked, several people on the roll call have reported surprise free upgrades from oceanview to balcony. This is 5 months before embarkation.

Speculation is that Princess is doing this to encourage them to not cancel the booking.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, lolane1 said:

I have a Barcelona to Rome cruise booked for this summer.  I can only keep an eye on the situation until final payment and then make a decision. I also did purchase Princess's cancel for any reason insurance and will weigh that option.   While the WHO has stated that 80% of the cases appear to be mild, not sure I want to take a risk about a quarantine or the possibility of being hospitalized in a foreign country. And frankly, I don't think we know enough about Covid-19 yet.  So I am in a wait and see mode. I find it concerning that there is an outbreak in Italy. 

But, I have not canceled my April California Coastal.  I think the risk is very low.  Not worried at all.  Have the PBP; alcohol kills everything.  LOL😁

We are booked on a Rome to Athens cruise this summer.  We are suppose to board after spending 10 days in Italy and return home after 3 days in Athens.   Our first stop on land would be Venice.  Like you, we will make a decision when our final payment is due.  However, we are leaning towards canceling.  We have people with compromised immune systems in our group. Prior to the Italy outbreak, it was a matter of consulting with doctors about whether we should go.

I agree that at this point in time there is little risk for your April cruise, and yet I am leery about booking an overnight ferry to  Newfoundland  this summer as part of an alternative trip.🙄 Time will tell.

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 12:19 AM, JF - retired RRT said:

Just wondering...were you ever afraid to cruise during flu season? Flu kills more people every year than this new one.

Ever decided not to cruise because you might get Noro? Noro is everywhere...restaurants, planes, nursing homes, schools, cruise ships. More people get Noro every year than this new one.

Of course. However you don’t miss ports because of the flu, you don’t get held in quarantine for 14 days because of the flu and nor would your embarkation port change from Singapore to Dubai (Celebrity) because of the flu. 

Im not worried about catching it. I’m worried about the consequences if others around me do. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 8

15 hours ago, cajinyank said:

Question for the people who are worried about cruising since coronavirus hit.   has any ship been hit with cases of the virus since Princess started to take precautions? It seems to me that the ships are as safe as they were before the virus hit. Please let me know if I am wrong.

Don't speak so fast. Let's see if the WHO upgrades it to a pandemic. 

• Like 2

On 2/23/2020 at 7:11 AM, gottagocit said:

I would also like to see improvements in air filtration onboard planes. Maybe that will also come out of this. Time will tell. 

I believe I recently read an article quoting a professor from Purdue stating that air filtration on cruise ships is much worse than on planes with regard to viruses.  He was talking about why the Diamond Princess quarantine failed.  So maybe better cruise ship air filtration will also result from this.  We can hope.

I am on a Princess ship now, 28 day cruise, and for the first time I have no plans to purchase future cruises credits.  An article in the Atlantic, I believe,  implied that a vaccine is 12-18 months away at best.  I won’t cruise until the vaccine exists,  We will probably rent a beach cottage in a few months  like we used to decades ago, before we began cruising regularly.  If we enjoy it more than cruising, then we may just stop cruising.  What happened to the people on the Diamond is terrible.  I would like to understand why so many became infected while they were quarantined onboard. Was it the air filtration?  Would fewer have been infected if they had been quarantined ashore?

• Like 2

We were onboard the NCL Bliss because we had cruise next certificates expiring for 14 nights 2/2/20. Kind of oblivious to the whole thing. But we talked to our daughter and as she works in organ transplant she is very aware of the situation worldwide. So we began to take note. On cnn the 14 nights quarantine really got me. We were in an inside cabin. I just couldn’t do 2 weeks inside cabin. Anyway now home safe and monitoring the situation and not booking any cruises. We’re supposed to do Europe again in the fall. Supposed to do Bermuda in May. Wait until things settle down.
4 have passed away on that Princess ship 70 plus remained critical. 640 infected. Italy epedemic. Events canceled. South Korea same.

World o meter has all the information and experts opinion. Don’t read if you just want to be free from worrying.
My wife is stage 3 cancer survivor and compromised immune system from everything so I’m very concerned. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Loreni said:

I believe I recently read an article quoting a professor from Purdue stating that air filtration on cruise ships is much worse than on planes with regard to viruses.  He was talking about why the Diamond Princess quarantine failed. So maybe better cruise ship air filtration will also result from this.  We can hope.

I located the Purdue University study about filtration on cruise ships and here is a link to it:

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2020/Q1/cruise-ship-ac-systems-could-promote-rapid-coronavirus-spread,-prof-says.html

Edited by bluesea321

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

I located the Purdue University study about filtration on cruise ships and here is a link to it:

https://www.purdue.edu/newsroom/releases/2020/Q1/cruise-ship-ac-systems-could-promote-rapid-coronavirus-spread,-prof-says.html

Definitely correct; The air distribution systems on board a ship will spread a virus throughout. Best thing to do if stuck on board and have a balcony is to seal the incoming air and leave the outside door open. This corona virus is very effective in infecting others in a variety of ways because it was designed to do that (man-made).

We are on board in 5 weeks. Hoping we still have time before the USA becomes a China. 

We just came off of the Crown today, and we were always able to serve ourselves in the buffet.

Both entrances to the buffet were manned, and most passengers seemed to have no problem using the hand sanitizer, even if they had just washed their hands seconds ago elsewhere.

We both became more aware of coughing if it was nearby, and yes, some people still cough into their hands.

As we walked into the Captains Circle party, I don't recall seeing anyone in front of me shaking any of the staff's hands, and no hands were extended to us, which makes total sense.

• Like 1

We have 2 cruises  booked as B2B  starting April 18th to the Mexican Riviera  followed by a 7 night cruise to coastal California . both cruises are on the royal Princess . 

We are 80& 81  with under lining medical conditions  which weaken our immune system .Should we bethinking of cancelling  .We are in penalty now ? 

We watch what is going on with this virus  on our daily news . From this point of view it doesn't look promising ;except if warmer spring weather stops the virus from spreading  

What do you think we should do ?

Edited by mcrcruiser

On 2/24/2020 at 3:21 PM, Host CJSKIDS said:

I'm just going to post what Laura posted this morning on another thread to hope and keep this thread on topic.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Couple of quick things going forward:

• Please keep this discussion cruise related
  • Pleasure ensure that you do not copy and paste entire articles from other sites...instead select a key paragraph (usually the first) and LINK TO the article
  • Keep things polite

The community team will be following this discussion closely, and will remove any posts without notice to the author.

Thank you for your cooperation

LauraS

Thanks.............

25 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

We have 2 cruises  booked as B2B  starting April 18th to the Mexican Riviera  followed by a 7 night cruise to coastal California . both cruises are on the royal Princess . 

We are 80& 81  with under lining medical conditions  which weaken our immune system .Should we bethinking of cancelling  .We are in penalty now ? 

We watch what is going on with this virus  on our daily news . From this point of view it doesn't look promising ;except if warmer spring weather stops the virus from spreading  

What do you think we should do ?

Only you truly know how you feel...and what the cruises and the money mean to you.

I mean, if it was a 1st-ever cruise or a lifetime bucket list cruise...or I had a terminal diagnosis anyway...or I'd never be able to afford the cruise again...no way would I cancel.

If not, in your shoes, I'd be canceling...so much uncertainty on the virus, and all keeping the cruise will do will cause you more and more stress (since you seem to already be starting to worry)...and stress causes its own health issues...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Only you truly know how you feel...and what the cruises and the money mean to you.

I mean, if it was a 1st-ever cruise or a lifetime bucket list cruise...or I had a terminal diagnosis anyway...or I'd never be able to afford the cruise again...no way would I cancel.

If not, in your shoes, I'd be canceling...so much uncertainty on the virus, and all keeping the cruise will do will cause you more and more stress (since you seem to already be starting to worry)...and stress causes its own health issues...

No not under stress as we can drive t the port . Thanks for your response

We are monitoring where the virus spreads , Of course warmer weather could xlow it down or even eliminate it  .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StillPooh said:

Avoiding Asia is simple. How are you going to avoid actual Asians? 🤔

Great question 👍 I think for me I will wait and see what happened in the next few months. 
I will only book a cruise with a refundable deposit. Just in case. 
Tony

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mcrcruiser said:

No not under stress as we can drive t the port . Thanks for your response

We are monitoring where the virus spreads , Of course warmer weather could xlow it down or even eliminate it  .

Hello.....it is always winter somewhere in the world.....is this magical thinking????

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, StillPooh said:

And if you could, what good would that do? By now the virus is active very  in Italy too, so you're going to have to avoid Italians as well as Asians and what about that nice blue eyed blond American who just happened to be vacationing in Wuhan when the virus became active? 

This virus might have started in China but Asians are not the only ones who can be infected or can pass it on. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, StillPooh said:

It is more "avoid people who have COVID-19" which has affected people of many nationalities. The person from Asia next door may not have been in Asia for 10 years.

• Like 4

I have a really long cruise to/in Europe coming up. I have to say I am beginning to get spooked. Not necessarily of getting sick but having someone with a cough on our ship and the port not letting our ship in. I may have a cruise to nowhere for a month.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 4

Booked for a cruise out of Singapore in late June, so we are watching the news keenly. It's very hard to separate out fact from fiction, as most of the news outlets seem to be dead keen on stoking as much hysteria as they can.

Worth noting that we are not elderly nor do we have underlying health conditions, and so we have little fear about catching anything life threatening. What we are concerned with is ending up quarantined for several weeks, because someone sneezes in the wrong direction. If on the other hand I was older, and had health issues I would be seriously concerned, but then those sorts of general health concerns are probably something anyone travelling should take into account.

I am pragmatic about the whole thing, as there is little we can do to change the situation and unless we are told otherwise, we will be departing on our cruise as planned.

If you are looking for straight facts and figures, this is an interesting site to keep an eye on.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-cases/

Edited by tepukecruisers
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is becoming more challenging to cruise these days.  This from Princess Headquarters:

Health and Travel Advisory
Updated February 25, 2020
Guest Travel Guidelines
"In an abundance of caution and based on our recent learnings from Diamond Princess, we are encouraging all guests to follow these best practices for travel:

Pack 14 days of extra medication — In the event of unexpected travel delays and emergencies, please remember to bring additional prescription medication for at least two weeks beyond the length of the cruise."

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/coronavirus-update.html

Edited by bluesea321
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bluesea321 said:

It is becoming more challenging to cruise these days.  This from Princess Headquarters:

"Health and Travel Advisory
Updated February 25, 2020
Guest Travel Guidelines
In an abundance of caution and based on our recent learnings from Diamond Princess, we are encouraging all guests to follow these best practices for travel:

Pack 14 days of extra medication — In the event of unexpected travel delays and emergencies, please remember to bring additional prescription medication for at least two weeks beyond the length of the cruise."

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/coronavirus-update.html

I wonder how they decided on 14 days?

• Haha 1