Cruise Lines Should Reimburse You 100%, Not To Cruise

gerryuk

On 2/24/2020 at 9:51 AM, gerryuk said:

Totally agree, however for many people travel insurance is a cost to much. I keep reading on these boards that if you can afford to cruise, you can afford this, that and the other. But in the real world it doesn't work like that. For many young families buying a cruise ticket is a hardship, but they will save and go without for months just to get their dream holiday. Travel insurance, medical insurance and the like wont come into it for many of them, whether we like it or not. As they get older, wiser and have more disposable income, then insurance will become part of their plans.

Why not?, I can turn up and buy a ticket for immediate travel at any train station, I am sure I can turn up at JFK or Heathrow and buy a immediate airline ticket to Las Palmas, Gran Canaria, or New Delhi, if there are seats available. Why should it be any different with the cruise industry? 

And then they end up like the lady begging for money after her kid got sick.  

Anyone who can't afford travel insurance can't afford to travel.  It's not rocket science, it's common sense.   No one has the "right" to a vacation.

On 2/24/2020 at 7:37 AM, Joebucks said:

For every "great idea" some customer has, a business has 10 proven reasons why it's not a good idea. What you're advocating basically nullifies travel insurance, early saver rates, current pricing model, etc.

For as noble as this sounds, there are many other people who will still go on their cruise with a virus, because they don't want to miss out.

Not to mention booking many cruises and wait which goes down at the last minute .

On 2/25/2020 at 7:03 AM, gerryuk said:

Totally agree, however it does not work like that, in this age of me, me, me. What about the consequences of everybody else on the ship if people board the ship with viruses?, and that's my whole point. We need to get them, not to board in the first place. If that means giving them back their money so they have an incentive not to board, or even give them a voucher to cruise at a later date, then so be it. I really do get the insurance thing, but in the real world until travel insurance is mandatory, not everyone is going to play ball.

Your own argument is why this doesn't work. Yup, everyone will not play ball and many would just use the illness excuse to get their money back whether they are sick or not. Why even bother with insurance when you can just say, "I'm too sick". And before it comes up, no, a doctors note would not be workable as there are plenty of docs out there that would gladly write such a note for regular patients just to keep them as patients or perhaps for a little grease of the palm. 

13 hours ago, dolittle said:

Not to mention booking many cruises and wait which goes down at the last minute .

Do people really do that?  Who has the time to mess around like that?  We discuss where we'd like to go, book the cruise, and unless we happen to be on the web site looking for information about a port or for a future sailing and notice a price drop, we don't give it a second thought.  I can't imagine playing games like that.  I'd be too nervous that I'd forget to cancel, or get hit by a truck and not be able to and losing a ton of money as a result.

We are like you, we find the cruise and price we want and book it and normally don't look back.

There are plenty of people though who actually do book multiple cruises and then cancel some of them before final payment.  Crazy to me, but it does happen.  That's one reason cabins often open up right after final payment.

3 minutes ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

We are like you, we find the cruise and price we want and book it and normally don't look back.

There are plenty of people though who actually do book multiple cruises and then cancel some of them before final payment.  Crazy to me, but it does happen.  That's one reason cabins often open up right after final payment.

Wow again.  I always figured the availability of cabins before final payment was caused by people who booked a cruise that they realized they couldn't afford to take as final payment loomed, and large institutional travel agencies with blocks of rooms held to offer to their customers.  I guess I learned something new today.  It's almost rather disturbing, isn't it?

2 hours ago, ducklite said:

It's almost rather disturbing, isn't it?

it is not something I do.  But the cruise lines write the T&C very much in favor of themselves, counting on the idea most passengers won't read or understand the cruise contract giving the CLs a large advantage.  That a few cruisers not only read and understand the cruise contract but use the contract to their own advantage is not at all disturbing.

On 2/24/2020 at 6:25 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Glad it's only "a thought."

The possibility for abuse and  greed by persons who failed to buy isurance is too great.  Cannot count on  honesty from all potential cruisers.

Why would anyone buy cancellation insuance in your plan?  Cruises lines make LOTS of money from insurance sales.

Perhaps  if you rethink your plan it might 'fly'  better.

This is Costa Cruises latest info.....

If you are denied boarding by them, you will get your money back plus travel expenses. Looks fair to me.

Last update 27 February 2020

Important information for the protection of our guests’ and crew’s health.

Now that the World Health Organization has raised its global alert level, Costa Cruiseshas decided to further strengthen the precautionary measures applied to its fleet inorder to guarantee maximum safety for guests and crew.

Should you need further information, please contact your travel agent or call 0800.3890622

icona_vettoriale_150_coronavirus_04.jpg
Guests, visitors and crew members of any nationality who have traveled from, to orthrough mainland China, Hong Kong, and Macau in the 14 days prior to boarding arenot allowed to board Costa ships. The same measure applies to those who have beenin contact with confirmed cases of Coronavirus, for which a regular declaration hasbeen made to the competent health authorities.
As of February 22, given the current outbreak of the virus in a number of differentItalian towns, Costa Cruises has also decided to deny boarding to any customersoriginating from one of these towns, (specifically Casalpusterlengo (Lodi), Codogno(Lodi), Castiglione D'Adda (Lodi), Fombio (Lodi), Maleo (Lodi), Somaglia (Lodi),Bertonico (Lodi), Terranova dei Passerini (Lodi), Castelgerundo (Lodi), San Fiorano(Lodi) in Lombardy, and Vò Euganeo (Padua) in the Veneto region) and other cities thatshould be added in the future to the list published by the Italian Ministry of Health.
Costa Cruises is therefore contacting passengers resident in these towns, eitherdirectly or through travel agencies, to let them know about this decision and how to goabout getting a full refund.Given the fast-changing nature of the situation, this restriction will also be extended toall the areas included in the alert issued by the Italian Ministry of Health and relatedHealth Authorities. Moreover, none of the excursions available to our guests will include visits to sites inthe Piedmont, Lombardy and Veneto Regions.As of February 27, restrictions have also been introduced as regards boarding ofguests, visitors or crew members of any nationality who, in the last 14 days, havetraveled from, to or through Japan, Iran, South Korea, Taiwan or Vietnam and who havefever, cough or breathing difficulties.
icona_vettoriale_150_coronavirus_02.jpg
All embarking guests, visitors or crew members are given a specific pre-screeningmedical questionnaire to better assess their suitability for boarding.
icona_vettoriale_150_coronavirus_01.jpg
Anyone boarding our ships will be screened for body temperature: anyone with a bodytemperature above 37.8° C will be denied access to the ship.
icona_vettoriale_150_coronavirus_03.jpg
Costa guarantees guests and crew the highest standards of cleanliness on board itsships thanks to strict sanitization protocols and the use of disinfectants effectiveagainst Coronavirus.

The safety and health of passengers is Costa Cruises' number one priority.Precautionary measures are taken on Costa Cruises ships, including the screening ofguests and crew, if circumstances require it. In addition, all ships in the fleet areequipped with medical facilities with dedicated staff, available 24 hours a day, and cancount on advice and support from professionals and specialized external medical facilities. The cruise industry is one of the best equipped and experienced in the fieldof health protection.

FAQs – Frequently Asked Questions

To ensure safety on board, is it sufficient that Guests who have traveled to and from conti-nental China, Hong Kong or Macao in the last 14 days or less are not accepted? According to the information provided by the CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) and the WHO (World Health Organization), the maximum incubation period of the Coronavirus is 14 days. If there is no manifestation of the disease by the fourteenth day, potential contagion is ruled out.

Is there a temperature screening for all new boarders? Mandatory temperature screening is carried out on all people boarding Costa ships, whether they are guests, visitors or crew members of any nationality. If a higher than normal temperature is detected, the on-board medical team will visit the guest free of charge and collect direct information aimed at establishing suitability for boarding.In addition, all persons presenting signs or symptoms of illness such as fever (≥ 37.8 C°/ 100.4F°) chills, coughing or breathing difficulties will be denied boarding.

What happens if a person with a suspected diagnosis is identified on board? If a suspicious situation is detected on board, the Medical Team will carefully assess the subject at the on-board hospital.If the examination reveals even the slightest suspicion of infectious disease, the medical team on board will immediately isolate the subject. Subsequently, if deemed necessary, the procedure to notify the Health Authorities on land will be activated. They will then provide for hospitalization in dedicated facilities for the case to be investigated and treated.

Which is your embarkation screening procedure? All embarking guests, embarking crew, daily visitors and technicians receive a Health Questionnaire and Health Advisory. If a guest recently traveled from or through Mainland China, Hong Kong or Macao (including transiting through an airport in these locations), in the past 14 days, the embarkation is denied to the passenger and those travelling with him/her. All persons who, within 14 days before embarkation, have had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone diagnosed as having Coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to Novel Coronavirus are denied embarking.As of February 22nd, in consideration of the present outbreak of the virus in a number of different Italian town, Costa Crociere has also decided to deny embarkation to all those customers which will be originating their journey from one of said cities. Given that the outbreak is considered to be in its early stage and that the list of affected cities is being updated on a daily basis, the limitation will also be extended, if needed, to all the areas which will be added by the Italian Ministry of Health and related Health Authorities

What happens if you are not considered fit for boarding? Guests who, following medical screening, will be deemed unfit for boarding by the competent medical team will be reimbursed by Costa Cruises for the price paid for the cruise or the re-booking of the cruise (plus taxes) and the cost of return travel to their original destination will be covered.

Are there medical facilities aboard the ship? All ships in the fleet are equipped with medical facilities with dedicated staff, available 24 hours a day, and can count on advice and support from external and specialized medical professionals and facilities. The cruise sector is, in fact, one of the most advanced and cutting-edge in the field of health protection.

8 hours ago, gerryuk said:

This is Costa Cruises latest info....

Are there medical facilities aboard the ship? All ships in the fleet are equipped with medical facilities with dedicated staff, available 24 hours a day, and can count on advice and support from external and specialized medical professionals and facilities. The cruise sector is, in fact, one of the most advanced and cutting-edge in the field of health protection.

OMG! They’ve got to be kidding or have some very egotistical PR people.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 2wheelin said:

OMG! They’ve got to be kidding or have some very egotistical PR people.

And undercutting the message they should be sending, which is “we aren’t a hospital and are often a day away from the nearest hospital.  Folks with significant medical issues who are at high risk of needing an ER should reconsider travel.”. Which is basically the message the often send.