Coronavirus in Italy

fdl2020

9 hours ago, susiesan said:

Baltic cruise on Marina June 26. Flight to CPH and home from ARN with UA FF miles on AC and SAS airlines. The only way I am not going is if O cancels the cruise. I would be refunded by O and I can redeposit the miles for a fee which would likely be waived if all airlines stop flying to Europe. After this cruise, 10 day safari in Namibia in September. Still planning on that vacation. I just booked a 1 week Tahiti cruise with Windstar for next January and I am not having second thoughts. I will carry on traveling as I have been for 50+ years until I am forced to stop by government edict. If that happens, we are all doomed.

So even if WHO/CDC/whomever recommend against certain types of travel you'll just go forward with what YOU think is the right thing to do. Wow.

1 hour ago, clo said:

So even if WHO/CDC/whomever recommend against certain types of travel you'll just go forward with what YOU think is the right thing to do. Wow.

As long as airlines are flying and cruise ships are sailing and I can get to where I want to go, yes, I will take my chances and travel.  I'm not going to hole up in my house quivering in fear. I will take whatever precautions I can to stay healthy. You only live once, and I won't live in fear from an overhyped virus scare. I travelled in Vietnam in 2004 during the SARS outbreak with no problems. If I don't fly or take a cruise then that leaves car travel only, eliminating international travel. CDC recommendations are just that, everyone has to decide for themselves what they can tolerate.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, susiesan said:

I won't live in fear from an overhyped virus scare.

Gosh, please tell me the source for that.

Considering that I worked at CDC a lifetime ago and they were and are very conservative in their warnings, *I* would heed their warnings. I'm pretty science based so I try to separate my emotions from the facts. I guess you're not. Bless your heart.

• Like 2

It never ceases to amaze me how some people think warnings don't apply to them!  Won't wash their hands correctly/or at all, heed hurricane or fire evacuations (list goes on).  Then they expect others to risk their lives to save them and at taxpayer expense.

On a non emotional note, does anyone know if the virus is still clustered in the northern areas or has it spread to Rome?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Zesty Italian said:

It never ceases to amaze me how some people think warnings don't apply to them!  Won't wash their hands correctly/or at all, heed hurricane or fire evacuations (list goes on).  Then they expect others to risk their lives to save them and at taxpayer expense.

On a non emotional note, does anyone know if the virus is still clustered in the northern areas or has it spread to Rome?

I'm not familiar with this site but it does have some info and a map

https://www.thelocal.it/20200228/map-which-parts-of-italy-are-affected-by-coronavirus-outbreak

1 hour ago, Zesty Italian said:

Even ignoring the obvious health concerns and potential changes in itinerary etc, if you go to an area that is currently being impacted will any of the areas/things you want to experience like tourist sites, museums etc actually be open?The first thing that seems to be happening where outbreaks are prevalent is closing of places where the public can gather.  Whats the point of being a tourist if you can't experience the places you are traveling to.  

• Like 1

13% of Americans have already changed travel plans due to coronavirus, survey says

From CNN Business' Chris Isidore

About one American in eight surveyed says they have already canceled or changed travel plans due to concerns about the novel coronavirus.

The survey was conducted by the Kaiser Family Foundation and polled about 1,200 adults.

13 hours ago, Zesty Italian said:

Thanks Clo.  It was helpful.  

I agree with the comment about visiting and tourist sites being closed.  Noticed last night that some things in Rome were cancelled.  Wouldn't be much point in our trip if that's the case.  Now we wait to see if Oceania cancels it.

I agree. Waiting for Oceania's response to this. 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-italy

1 hour ago, bbtondo said:

I agree. Waiting for Oceania's response to this. 

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/warning/coronavirus-italy

Not just O. All of the cruise lines are gearing up for the spring/summer Med season. I did a quick scan of Med cruises in March-May on one of the consolidator sites. Wow, are there some great last minute deals to be had. Example: 12 night May 2 Rome to London on Norwegian Escape $389 for an inside, $694 for balcony.

38 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Not just O. All of the cruise lines are gearing up for the spring/summer Med season. I did a quick scan of Med cruises in March-May on one of the consolidator sites. Wow, are there some great last minute deals to be had. Example: 12 night May 2 Rome to London on Norwegian Escape $389 for an inside, $694 for balcony.

I do realize that this doesn't just affect O.  My cruise is on O which is why I posted here.  I love a great deal, that's for sure!  This is my first trip to the Med.   With the CDC Level 3 for Italy, the current possibility of: getting sick, closed ports, closed museums, closed tourist attractions, airlines denying boarding, etc.  My choice would be to cruise another time when there is not a situation that is changing day by day that may affect my plans. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Example: 12 night May 2 Rome to London on Norwegian Escape $389 for an inside, $694 for balcony.

This presumably gives you an idea of their normal profit margin (assuming that they would not sell a cabin at a loss - why would they), If you were to sell a cabin at a loss you might as well leave it empty IMO.

• Like 3

I wonder what  Countries will be "open for business" in the next few months

In Toronto  2 new cases in 2 days   one travelled from Iran  & one from Egypt

The list of infected Countries is growing

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I am not  "the sky is falling"  type person but  I would be more aware of  people around me now

It may be prudent  no matter where you travel  out of the Country that you self isolate for  2 weeks on your return

JMO

We are on Riviera  March 31st transatlantic ending in Rome so I did a search of other cruise lines going to Italy in the near future.

Costa Luminosa is leaving Fort Lauderdale on March 5th and going to Venice.  Here is a Costa update from yesterday.

Statement from costa cruises Feb 28...

RE: Update on your upcoming Grand Transatlantic & the Alps Cruise Tour on 3/5/2020

A health alert was issued on February 26, 2020 for regions of Lombardy, Piedmont, Veneto, and Friuli Venezia Giulia in Italy, due to the coronavirus. The U.S. Embassy in Rome recommends individuals “follow Italian health official guidance and avoid the government designated affected areas”. Full consular services continue to be available in Rome, Milan, Florence, and Naples. Preventative measures to limit the spread of the virus are in effect through March 1 in Milan, Genoa, Venice and Turin. These measures include the closure of museums, schools, and some shared tours or activities. Note at this time the port and airport in Venice are operating per normal.

Our operations team and our travel partners in Europe and Costa Cruises are monitoring the situation and travel advisories published by the U.S State Department, World Health Organization (WHO) and the impact they may have on your trip.

At this time, Costa Cruises has indicated that the itinerary is scheduled to operate as planned. We are in discussions with our partners regarding your disembarkation and planned overnight in Venice, Italy. We will communicate updates or itinerary changes if necessary to ensure your health and safety in this port. Currently standard Terms & Conditions regarding cancellation apply.

Please CLICK HERE for the precautions Costa Cruises is taking in relation to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and a full description of the embarkation guidelines that will be taken for your upcoming cruise.

Edited by cruisingxpert
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I wonder what  Countries will be "open for business" in the next few months

In Toronto  2 new cases in 2 days   one travelled from Iran  & one from Egypt

The list of infected Countries is growing

https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

I am not  "the sky is falling"  type person but  I would be more aware of  people around me now

It may be prudent  no matter where you travel  out of the Country that you self isolate for  2 weeks on your return

JMO

Yes, but WHEN will you get home. Yesterday (?) I saw some surrounding countries trains not allowing pax that have been through Lombardy or was it Veneto region. Will the airline one has booked for the flight home take them unless they self quarantine in an "acceptable" place for a couple of weeks? Many moving parts to this puzzle

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, cruisingxpert said:

At this time, Costa Cruises has indicated that the itinerary is scheduled to operate as planned. We are in discussions with our partners regarding your disembarkation and planned overnight in Venice, Italy.

Intesting information, Catherine

Based on the name of the cruise I assume that they will overnight in Venice and then be "safely" whisked away for the rest of the trip on a land tour of the Alps . Hard to tell but maybe that overnight was to be on land. I suspect bus them Mestre and have to stay in isolation at the hotel for the night? Talk about forging ahead.

On 2/28/2020 at 12:07 AM, clo said:

Considering that I worked at CDC a lifetime ago and they were and are very conservative in their warnings, *I* would heed their warnings. I'm pretty science based so I try to separate my emotions from the facts. 

I hear you--I also used to work for HHS and while I am not a scientist, I know how science works.  Disease does not care whether you vote red or blue, or believe in germ theory.  Disease just IS, and it will infect as it evolved to do.  The risk is large, and spreading.

And even if you do manage to take a lovely driving tour of France or wherever, what fun will you have if all the restaurants and churches and museums are closed?  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

Yes, but WHEN will you get home. Yesterday (?) I saw some surrounding countries trains not allowing pax that have been through Lombardy or was it Veneto region. Will the airline one has booked for the flight home take them unless they self quarantine in an "acceptable" place for a couple of weeks? Many moving parts to this puzzle

Agree

Where  do the cruise lines/airlines etc.. draw the line & still stay in business

Some ports  are not even allowing ships to dock  even if no one is sick

Yes  a very troubling situation world wide

Off topic sort of

The latest case in Toronto they were able to fly  to Canada...  even a woman arrived from China last week ..how did  that happen ?

Anyway  we all have to decide  what is  best for us

I wish everyone travelling   will be safe

Now a state department level 4 warning about travel to certain regions of Italy and South Korea:https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/29/us-expands-iran-travel-restrictions-over-coronavirus-raises-advisory-for-regions-in-south-korea-and-italy.html

Also, anyone foreign nationals who have been in Iran will not be allowed entry to thee US, same as Chinese nationals.

2 hours ago, Debbers said:

I hear you--I also used to work for HHS and while I am not a scientist, I know how science works.  Disease does not care whether you vote red or blue, or believe in germ theory.  Disease just IS, and it will infect as it evolved to do.  The risk is large, and spreading.

And even if you do manage to take a lovely driving tour of France or wherever, what fun will you have if all the restaurants and churches and museums are closed?  

Quite eloquent. Thanks.

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Yes  a very troubling situation world wide

Indeed. We have a trip in a month that starts in Norway, then to Paris, then to Seattle. It does give me pause. We're going and will see what's going on as we go on.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/29/2020 at 2:57 PM, clo said:

Indeed. We have a trip in a month that starts in Norway, then to Paris, then to Seattle. It does give me pause. We're going and will see what's going on as we go on.

Clo, did you fall off Cruise Critic? After posting all the time it's odd to see you not here for the past couple of weeks.