RCL Stock

heidikay

Currently holding 180 shares @ avg price of $79.89 after I sold off 20 shares at $133. I don't really need the cash right now, but I'm thinking of selling 20 shares a day every day it stays above $135. 

Doing the math, if I sold 100 shares at $135, I would pocket $5500 in profit. I would have to take 55 cruises to make that back in Shareholder Benefit...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Currently holding 180 shares @ avg price of $79.89 after I sold off 20 shares at $133. I don't really need the cash right now, but I'm thinking of selling 20 shares a day every day it stays above $135. 

Doing the math, if I sold 100 shares at $135, I would pocket $5500 in profit. I would have to take 55 cruises to make that back in Shareholder Benefit...

Or sell 80 shares ns hold 100. New 1 year target set of $160. You can tell here pricing is holding and stock doing well. Check the last minute sales ..if it gets soft sell the rest until you need it for obc.

Selling it all now to me is  gamble you can buy it back lower later. 

On 2/22/2024 at 8:59 PM, grandgeezer said:

Where is the dividend coming from? RCL hasn’t paid one in several years.

I’ve been in the stock market for over 35 years and reached financial gain way beyond my wildest dreams. I have a 401k, and by law, I have to take a minimal withdrawal every year, for 2024 it’s $58,000+ and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

For those that bought the stock below $20 and held on to it, good for you. But like an economic professor said after someone brought up a similar situation many many years ago “Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile”. 
Long term, cruise line stocks have not been a good investment. Five years ago, if you stuck equal amounts in RCL stock and a S&P 500 mutual fund, as of close of business today, the RCL stock would be up a total of 1.35%. The mutual fund would be up 82.16%.

Finally, to get the shareholder obc you have to book a cruise each time to get it. The mutual fund pays capital gains and dividends without another penny out your pocket.

You can take it in cash, or reinvest it.

Congrats on your 2 million in 401K…. Buying a million worth of RCL is a bad investment, buying 100 shares and cruising a lot… is a no-brainer.  

95% of the people ( I am guessing but bet I am right) own more than 100 and less than 200 shares.  If you cruise 4 to 5 times a year you could make gains of more than about any regular investment I know of.  That said, buying a stock like RCL is not a real investment it is a fun activity that you enjoy.  The Shareholder benefit while it is combinable is wonderful luxury.  

JC<——— spent a lot of time in gradual school in economics (no misspelling).  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

Congrats on your 2 million in 401K…. Buying a million worth of RCL is a bad investment, buying 100 shares and cruising a lot… is a no-brainer.  

95% of the people ( I am guessing but bet I am right) own more than 100 and less than 200 shares.  If you cruise 4 to 5 times a year you could make gains of more than about any regular investment I know of.  That said, buying a stock like RCL is not a real investment it is a fun activity that you enjoy.  The Shareholder benefit while it is combinable is wonderful luxury.  

I’m guessing with that required withdraw, less than $1.5m

I just did a math guess of 3% required withdrawal, and rounded it up to the next million.  We don’t know when the poster started withdrawing so 3%, 4%, 5% all are options.  Maybe even 2%.  I am not an expert on this, but yeah, you are probably correct.  I, personally, can’t think why I would feel the need to share this information, but hey, it is all good.  🤣. Nothing scary out here on the internet.

jc

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

What makes you think I have $2,000,000 in my 401k? Not even close. The RMD is based on your age and account balance at the close of business on 12/31 of the previous year. Last year it was only $47,000.

I have never owned RCL stock and never will, even when it dropped below $20.  I’ve been doing stocks for over 35 and have been successful far better than I ever imagined. For me to buy a stock, it has to be a product I believe in and the management team has past experience in fairly treating their employees and customers, RCL is O for 2.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, xpcdoojk said:

I just did a math guess of 3% required withdrawal, and rounded it up to the next million.  We don’t know when the poster started withdrawing so 3%, 4%, 5% all are options.  Maybe even 2%.  I am not an expert on this, but yeah, you are probably correct.  I, personally, can’t think why I would feel the need to share this information, but hey, it is all good.  🤣. Nothing scary out here on the internet.

jc

The number is the minimum amount you have to withdraw without paying a penalty of 30% of the shortcoming.

I agree, you are far from being an expert.

I finally sold.  300% increase!  I'll take a significant tax hit, but it was worth the ride.

I'll repurchase it seven days before my statement, get my OBC, and probably sell.

I do not see another long-term entry point.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, xpcdoojk said:

jc

Bragging rights 😉

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

What makes you think I have $2,000,000 in my 401k? Not even close. The RMD is based on your age and account balance at the close of business on 12/31 of the previous year. Last year it was only $47,000.

I have never owned RCL stock and never will, even when it dropped below $20.  I’ve been doing stocks for over 35 and have been successful far better than I ever imagined. For me to buy a stock, it has to be a product I believe in and the management team has past experience in fairly treating their employees and customers, RCL is O for 2.

Success is so different for so many people.  As I mentioned I have no idea when you start withdrawing, typically it starts off at age 73 currently at about 3 to 4%.  At least that is what my investment guru is telling me.  Since that is a few years off, we are still invested in the market with about 2/3 of our “nest egg” and the rest is currently a CD ladder earning north of 5% as it rolls thru 3,6,9 and 1 year amounts until it rolls over to whatever when they mature.  Keeping it so, I have money without penalty for anything we need or want at the longest wait of 3 months.  I don’t hang out in this one of the silliest threads to live this long in the history of CC, but way back when this started, I mentioned the random walk theory.  I still believe it is a very good explanation of why “experts” don’t really exist when it comes to picking winning and losing individual stocks.  Of course, if you are a politician say living in San Francisco, and you know beyond a doubt that the government is going to say spend a trillion dollars on something that is in the next omnibus bill to keep the government running it is likely that you truly are an expert and can have your husband invest in things that the government is going to spend said trillions on.  Unfortunately, for the vast amount of citizens this is not an option.  

JC<——— is just an ordinary citizen with an ordinary wife (well she is actually extraordinary, just not in the way described about a hypothetical person in SF)😂

16 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Taking a lot of cruises does not seem to be a problem for us.  😉  Of course the ones over 14 days are 250.00 in OBC.  

12 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

What makes you think I have $2,000,000 in my 401k?

Maybe that poster just doubted the accuracy of your screen name😉😀😉.  A $58000+ RMD from a $2,000,000 401K might back calculate to a 73 years old with a 53 year old spouse as solo beneficiary. 

Obviously strangers cannot guess your account balance from your RMD alone.  After all 100 year old (couple or single) with a $375,000 401K also has a $58000+ RMD.  There are many other options with that same RMD.

Edited by Starry Eyes

42 minutes ago, island lady said:

Taking a lot of cruises does not seem to be a problem for us.  😉  Of course the ones over 14 days are 250.00 in OBC.  

We have done a few of those in the last few years and the $250/OBC was great.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, island lady said:

I have two 14 nighters this year SOLO ... the OBC is all MINE, no cabinmate to share with.  😄

With NextCruise OBC, shareholder OBC, Group rate OBC, and Travel Agent OBC, I think it was just a few dollars more to book SOLO vs double occupancy.  🙂  Plus the extra C&A point for SOLO.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I have two 14 nighters this year SOLO ... the OBC is all MINE, no cabinmate to share with.  😄

With NextCruise OBC, shareholder OBC, Group rate OBC, and Travel Agent OBC, I think it was just a few dollars more to book SOLO vs double occupancy.  🙂  Plus the extra C&A point for SOLO.

I got a 13 day next year. I think they cut them off now under 14 days on purpose just for this reason. Even solo I'll be forking money out over and above obc to pay tips. If I was inside it gets a extra $50 obc I gave up to do a balcony. ..the extra pt is the best thing. 

11 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Many items to put into the calculation basket as you find your happy price point.

I always qualify my cruises (and reviews) according to what I think is a good price point for the experience. You have listed some salient observations.

Paying a premium price for a last minute booking in a suite is completely different from booking 19 months in advance for an interior at rock bottom prices in a room of my choosing.

The food is not the finest, no problem, the service lacking a bit here or there, no problem, I can live with the shortcomings because I did not pay a premium price with premium expectations.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know why RCL stock price went down by 5% yesterday? I know the market was a bit lower yesterday in anticipation of today's CPI announcement but not by that much.

I read some analysts are attributing the sudden dip to a drunk teenager jumping off a ship between the Bahamas and Cuba and a man with dementia wandering off in Cozumel, Mexico.

I don't see how that could be RCL's fault.  They did have to pay to settle a law suit for a Jazz cruise that was cancelled during Covid but enough to lower the stock by that much? **Confused** 

7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Anyone know why RCL stock price went down by 5% yesterday? I know the market was a bit lower yesterday in anticipation of today's CPI announcement but not by that much.

I read some analysts are attributing the sudden dip to a drunk teenager jumping off a ship between the Bahamas and Cuba and a man with dementia wandering off in Cozumel, Mexico.

I don't see how that could be RCL's fault.  They did have to pay to settle a law suit for a Jazz cruise that was cancelled during Covid but enough to lower the stock by that much? **Confused** 

The parents of the kid who jumped off Liberty of the Seas will probably sue if the kid was actually served (he was 20 -- under 21 age for alcohol).  I don't know how it will be viewed by a court if one of his friends, who was over 21, got him drinks.  

8 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

Imo the inflation numbers leaked. This is twice the day before bad  numbers came out the market sold off heavily the day before on no news. The heavy volume imo was institutional dumping..error I mean selling. Not just rcl, it was the whole market for about a hour yesterday morning dropped like a rock. On heavy selling column. Leaked numbers. Estimate was 3.3 and came in at 3.4%. The optimists been discounting the inflation numbers for months.. saying didnt matter. 3 months in a row is a pattern. 

I said last year when some on CNBC said 6 or 7 rate cuts they were wrong. Tryding tomconvince people who didnt know better. Either I'm a genius or they were wrong or liars. Inflation is sticky. Surprise surprise.

Rcl got hit because borrowing costs woukdnt be dropping. And they have a lot of debt. 

• Like 1

Turn on a stock channel. It's not rcl.... it's all the market. Institutions were dumping since yesterday morning. Now its everyone. Market was overbought. 3 rate cuts baked in. Now a rate cut in june which had a 59% probability now has a 17% probability.  This is about rate cuts and inflation is up not down. 

Some think powell will cut in june no matter what. He has bowed to political pressure before. He stupidly said inflation was transitory and played politics to keep his job. Ruined his reputation by telling that lie. Everyone knew it was a lie he repeated when he said it.

There are also some who think Powell will cut to save commercial which is in deep trouble., killing some banks.

Nothing to do with rcl. Anyone who says it's about some 1 pax doesnt know beans about stocks and the market. 830 am eastern time inflation numbers came out this morning. 

Well also it's about oil. Because rcl is a heavy user of oil products and the price is creeping up again. Iran told biden yesterday he needs to get israel in hand or they "could " totally stop traffic in the red sea. I really like last call on CNBC and this threat was discussed on last nights show, though seems it isnt being well covered except in stock news. But iran threatened us yesterday.

The price of oil turned green again which also pressures rcl stock price. Some are calling for $90 oil. It's close. So I'd add oil to the mix. Its inflationary .. but also particularly bad for stocks like rcl with heavy debt. 

On 3/22/2024 at 9:09 PM, grandgeezer said:

Why are you even on this board.😜

• Like 1