RCL Stock

heidikay

On 7/12/2023 at 3:10 PM, BND said:

We bought our shares solely for the OBC.  We only follow what it's doing out of curiosity.  We're meeting with our CFP in about 30 min and he sees the stock the same way we do.  We have other stocks in our IRA's that have been much more profitable.  

How many shares do I have to buy in order to get OBC?

When this stock was considerably cheaper, I imagine many here bought for the OBC benefit  and just held onto as a curiosity as I have done myself. It is getting to the point at my age I am not sure I will take enough future cruises with Royal to justify holding onto this and probably should just cash out and pay for a few cruises with the proceeds.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, fredmdcruisers said:

Can someone recommend a sure fire way to get stock obc approved? We have 7 cruises booked and I would like to submit them all at once. The last cruise that I tried I emailed it and never got a reply or obc. Thanks in advance. 

https://rcg.questionpro.com/shareholderbenefit

Not sure fire, but the easiest method.  People have different experiences with both email and the online "survey".  So, YMMV.

Edited by Another_Critic

41 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

https://rcg.questionpro.com/shareholderbenefit

Not sure fire, but the easiest method.  People have different experiences with both email and the online "survey".  So, YMMV.

I have no problem applying online.  You can enter as many sails /reservations #s and only one proof of ownership.

• Like 1

Just now, nelblu said:

I have no problem applying online.  You can enter as many sails /reservations #s and only one proof of ownership.

As I said, it's YMMV.

I've applied online with no response, then emailed.

I've emailed with no response, then applied online.

Both times I gave it about a week before using the alternate method.  I have no clue which method actually triggered the OBC in those cases.

47 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

As I said, it's YMMV.

Both times I gave it about a week before using the alternate method.  I have no clue which method actually triggered the OBC in those cases.

Sorry for your frustration.  On one occasion, I wasn't getting any responses to my request and decided to fax instead.  Got a response within a week.

Fax:  RCG

#:  305.373.6699

• Like 1

On 7/13/2023 at 5:05 AM, BND said:

Well, the market has improved a bit in the last couple of months so all our stocks are doing well.  Outside of the funds we're invested in, we have individual stocks in several companies-Alphabet (Google), Amazon,Pfizer, John Deere, GE, GE Healthcare, RCL, and a few others.  We are in the current position (I'm retired and DH is retiring this Dec) that we are pulling profits and moving them into more stable cash and CD's. Anyway, point is, RCL was never a stock we would have normally bought.  It can and has been pretty volatile.  I can't think of another stock that we own that took such a big hit, although we knew it would recover.

Hope you bought Amazon when they had the IPO in 1995. If you had bought $1,000 worth, including all the splits, it would be worth almost $1.9 billion

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

I meant $1.9 million.

$1,000 in 1995 wasn't something we just had laying around.  We had just bought our first single family home (third home purchase overall) and stocks weren't on our radar.  We were busy funding our 401K's.  But, that's okay, overall we have more than that in our retirement funds.

Edited by BND

On 8/5/2023 at 1:22 PM, BND said:

$1,000 in 1995 wasn't something we just had laying around.  We had just bought our first single family home (third home purchase overall) and stocks weren't on our radar.  We were busy funding our 401K's.  But, that's okay, overall we have more than that in our retirement funds.

You must be a lot younger. We haven’t paid interest on anything since 1985. Worked hard put the maximum allowed in my 401k fund for the twenty four years I could. Saved well, did really well in the stock market, and was able to retire in 2001 and move to Arizona. Since then we’ve basically did anything we wanted to and travelled anytime and any place we wanted.

2023…. We too have almost that amount left in the 401 k. Cash and cash equivalents, and property, a little over 1/2 more. Son, daughter in law, and our one grandson will enjoy the life they deserve and nothing could make us happier.

On 8/1/2023 at 11:24 PM, Another_Critic said:

As I said, it's YMMV.

I have also used both methods, one got approved and the other one got rejected, for the same cruise.

Reason for the rejection was that my surname on file with Royal didn't match the name on my paper from my bank. Same name, but a a letter in the Swedish alphabet that is in my surname (å), doesn't match with the English alphabet. The Swedish letter "å" Royal translates it to an "a", (å=a) and therefore they said thait my surname didn't match the one on my bank statement. However a day later I got an emai saying that my OBC was approved, still don't know if the email or the subimitt form was the one that was rejected/approved

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

You must be a lot younger. We haven’t paid interest on anything since 1985. Worked hard put the maximum allowed in my 401k fund for the twenty four years I could. Saved well, did really well in the stock market, and was able to retire in 2001 and move to Arizona. Since then we’ve basically did anything we wanted to and travelled anytime and any place we wanted.

2023…. We too have almost that amount left in the 401 k. Cash and cash equivalents, and property, a little over 1/2 more. Son, daughter in law, and our one grandson will enjoy the life they deserve and nothing could make us happier.

I'm 63 and DH is 65.  DH is retiring in Dec.  I retired 3 years ago.  We have three pensions plus several other sources of income. We have no mortgage and no debt. We can do anything we want.  Just met with our CFP today and discussed how much we want to supplement our pensions and SS when DH retires from our other investments.  I'm not sure what exactly your point is.  28 years ago, we didn't have a lot.  We do now.  That was all my point was.    I'm not going to say exactly how much we have in our investments but it is more than 2.

Edited by BND

14 hours ago, BND said:

I'm 63 and DH is 65.  DH is retiring in Dec.  I retired 3 years ago.  We have three pensions plus several other sources of income. We have no mortgage and no debt. We can do anything we want.  Just met with our CFP today and discussed how much we want to supplement our pensions and SS when DH retires from our other investments.  I'm not sure what exactly your point is.  28 years ago, we didn't have a lot.  We do now.  That was all my point was.    I'm not going to say exactly how much we have in our investments but it is more than 2.

My original comment was how much Amazon stock would be worth if you would have bought $1,000 worth on its IPO in 1995. The second was a response to your reply on my first one.

My brother is a CFP and he was on me for years about me having too much money in the stock market for my age. He was eating big time crow until the pandemic. Since then he’s had the upper hand, but I’m still way ahead of the game compared to where I’d be if I would have taken his advice. I have capital gains and dividends reinvested in my account, no fresh money since I retired.

I wouldn’t worry about money. When you reach a certain age, mine was 72, you are required by law to take a yearly minimum yearly distribution from you’re IRA, or 401k.

It is based on your balance on December 31, and your age. In my case it was a total of about $150k after federal taxes, in the previous three years. Vanguard won’t withhold state taxes for Arizona.

I get a nice pension, we both get social security, and we have a nice income from money markets, CD’s, and some other mutual funds.

Enjoy your retirement and money will not be a problem.

14 hours ago, BND said:

I'm not sure but seems like you keep posting you dont know much about stocks, but you are rich enough to afford a good advisor? You have so little of rcl doesnt matter anyway. You dont know short or long term where rcl is going and dont care. You are just going to hold your rcl anyway, and your stock guy concurs, no brainer. .. about sum it up.

I'm perplexed when someone says they dont know about stocks and keeps posting ... but they have a guy. But you have nothing to contribute and arent interested enough to learn about stocks. Dependent on your guy.  We have a good guy too .. but I watch stocks trade and keep up and learn. Why not decide to learn. Great you have someone to meet with. I still want to know myself. Great you did well in the past. How about rcl now? Any thoughts? Other than how rich you are so you dont care about this tiny position. If you were buying now where would you enter, where is support? Short or long. Ignorance is not bliss in my book. I'm a what have you done lately, and how about NOW. 

The other 2 cruiselines had awful earnings, which imo people will discount rcl earnings. Only those who cruise and book realize fares are still going up, planner stuff up. Next earnings imo should be even better. Any pertinent thought about rcl NOW? Maybe I missed it and your point is be rich enough to hire a good stock advisor.

10 minutes ago, yogimax said:

Thank you for your honesty!  If you believed the majority of posters, they never lose money investing.

If a real investor, someone who does it regularly over a period of time, said he never lost money, they’re lying. I’ve lost money on a few investments but none of them were real big (over $2k). When I was really into it, I monitored the positions and put in stop loss sell’s at a price I could live with.

• Like 1