MSC: Corona Virus and Cruising

Host Carolyn

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

As sad as this is, it is probably the right thing to do in all MSC ships who are cruising in other areas including those Grand Voyages who are going to Italy. Chinese, Italians and Iranis pose an increased  risk to other passengers and small islands now on cruise ships.

Cruise lines maybe should stand down? Invariably non essential travel is spreading COVID 19.

I have a cruise out of Venice on MSC on June 20th.  Been on the fence as to whether I should cancel while still outside of 90 days.  Other parts of my trip are non-refundable, or insurance doesn't cover pandemics.

I had read where MSC said that cruises through June would be able to cancel with no penalty up to 21 days (not 90).  But as someone else already posted, that apparently is not the case.

I had my travel agent call this morning and MSC told my TA they have rescinded that offer (and someone, I think here on CC posted they were told that directly by MSC).    At first I said I would wait a week or 2 to cancel in case they changed this again, but the more I stewed on it at work today, and read all these posts popping up in my email about peoples negative experiences, I decided to cancel as soon as I got home, and I am hold doing that now.  

My husband has said IF we can go he would rather rent a car and drive around Europe (not me though!) so IF we can still go in June and can't rebook we have that as a backup plan.  

BUT THEN, my TA just came on and said MSC wants to know why I am cancelling.  I said because I didn't know if I would be able to fly into Europe given the current travel restrictions (she said, you mean due to the Coronavirus) and I said yes.  TA was told by MSC  they would have to transfer her to a different department then.  So still on hold but my question is why? I'm before my cancel without penalty date, so I don't need a reason.

THEN, TA came back on and said, okay, they said you can cancel, but it will be one to two billing cycles (months) for your refund.   Okay, whatever.

10 MINUTES LATER still on hold.  TA says she has been transferred somewhere else.

I told my TA, if they would just shorten the penalty period to even 45 days, they could keep my money and I would wait to see what happens to cancel, but for now, with basically a travel ban in place, I can't see not cancelling before the deadline.

STILL ON HOLD BTW.  45 minutes, and about 30 since my TA got someone on the phone at MSC....

13 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

I have a cruise out of Venice on MSC on June 20th.  Been on the fence as to whether I should cancel while still outside of 90 days.  Other parts of my trip are non-refundable, or insurance doesn't cover pandemics.

I had read where MSC said that cruises through June would be able to cancel with no penalty up to 21 days (not 90).  But as someone else already posted, that apparently is not the case.

I had my travel agent call this morning and MSC told my TA they have rescinded that offer (and someone, I think here on CC posted they were told that directly by MSC).    At first I said I would wait a week or 2 to cancel in case they changed this again, but the more I stewed on it at work today, and read all these posts popping up in my email about peoples negative experiences, I decided to cancel as soon as I got home, and I am hold doing that now.  

My husband has said IF we can go he would rather rent a car and drive around Europe (not me though!) so IF we can still go in June and can't rebook we have that as a backup plan.  

BUT THEN, my TA just came on and said MSC wants to know why I am cancelling.  I said because I didn't know if I would be able to fly into Europe given the current travel restrictions (she said, you mean due to the Coronavirus) and I said yes.  TA was told by MSC  they would have to transfer her to a different department then.  So still on hold but my question is why? I'm before my cancel without penalty date, so I don't need a reason.

THEN, TA came back on and said, okay, they said you can cancel, but it will be one to two billing cycles (months) for your refund.   Okay, whatever.

10 MINUTES LATER still on hold.  TA says she has been transferred somewhere else.

I told my TA, if they would just shorten the penalty period to even 45 days, they could keep my money and I would wait to see what happens to cancel, but for now, with basically a travel ban in place, I can't see not cancelling before the deadline.

STILL ON HOLD BTW.  45 minutes, and about 30 since my TA got someone on the phone at MSC....

Cancelled.  Sad as I have been looking forward to this for so long.  Relieved that at least I will not lose that money even if I lose the flights.  Hope I can still do this trip, even if not with a cruise as I planned and just a land vacation. 

12 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Does the Splendida have many Italians on board as some countries in Caribbean have been stopping them disembarking whist allowing other nationalities off!

I think there are some, it's a very international passenger demographic. 

Maybe because we've been to Singapore a few days ago too. 

Hi CF , I do think the passengers should be pushing for compensation for these missed ports. the Meraviglia passengers got a full refund for some missports in Caribbean this week over a corona virus scare, which was flu. However they did have lots of irate Americans on Board demanding action which nearly turned into a fight!

31 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Hi CF , I do think the passengers should be pushing for compensation for these missed ports. the Meraviglia passengers got a full refund for some missports in Caribbean this week over a corona virus scare, which was flu. However they did have lots of irate Americans on Board demanding action which nearly turned into a fight!

I'm certainly hoping so. The Meraviglia passengers who missed the first Ocean Cay stops received 20% refund of the cruise cost. We've had far more disruptions. 

I can't check properly if other ships actually made Sri Lanka but the letter stated no cruise ships with international passengers. 

28 minutes ago, CruisingFox27 said:

I'm certainly hoping so. The Meraviglia passengers who missed the first Ocean Cay stops received 20% refund of the cruise cost. We've had far more disruptions. 

I can't check properly if other ships actually made Sri Lanka but the letter stated no cruise ships with international passengers. 

The government has stopped all cruise ships disembarking in Sri Lanka

Literally just announced this morning.

http://www.colombopage.com/archive_20A/Mar03_1583219817CH.php

http://www.dailynews.lk/2020/03/03/local/213243/cruise-ship-passengers-will-not-be-allowed-enter-island

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

On 3/2/2020 at 10:03 AM, ziggyuk said:

I assume if you are not travelling until July you would only be down a deposit if you cancelled?

The flights would also be a loss but if they get cancelled you will be offered alternatives flights or a refund, even if north Italy does not become a no-fly, all the airlines are saying there will be severe cancellations due to lack of demand, there is a high chance one of your flights will be affected and you will be offered a refund.

I would hang in there until final payment (assuming you are not paid in full) and make a decision then, so much can change in the meantime.

Paid in full already - flights also - perhaps venice stays safeish but then my concern is that we would not be able to fly there given the lack of deman to the region - plus not being allowed off the ship at the destinations

Also can only reschedule to a time during school vacations so don't mind deferring but it can't be october only july-August ...

Edited by GazZebo

56 minutes ago, GazZebo said:

Paid in full already - flights also - perhaps venice stays safeish but then my concern is that we would not be able to fly there given the lack of deman to the region - plus not being allowed off the ship at the destinations

Also can only reschedule to a time during school vacations so don't mind deferring but it can't be october only july-August ...

You are in a similar situation to me for my land based in June, I am fully paid for flights and hotels.

The UK government still says it's safe and I intend to travel as long as that advice remains in place, if it changes to a "do not travel", I will make an insurance claim and recoup the costs of the hotel and flights which currently stands at about £4000.

As far as flights go, if they are cancelled we will be offered alternatives or a refund, if it becomes impossible to travel to the region, I will again be looking at an insurance claim.

3 of the 5 of us are currently on a "no travel advice" from their home country so unless things change they won't be able to come and they will have to make an insurance claim while we travel alone.

It's frustrating but just a waiting game for now, I need to book a car at some point but for now everything is just on hold.

You are in a similar situation, you give your location as Europe, a far as I know all of Europe are giving the same advice, that travel is still safe outside the 10 quarantined towns (do check you government's web site though).

The only extra thing for you is to keep checking what MSC can do regards a refund/reschedule. With the US government putting a level 4 (no-travel advisory) on the whole regions of Lombardy and Veneto (which includes Venice) and a level 3 (Reconsider travel) on the rest of italy, MSC may start to change things.

Edited by ziggyuk

Here is an excellent link to the Italian government's website about the areas affected in Italy by CoVid-19. The link is in english.

It might help some of you with cruises with ports in Italy.

https://www.esteri.it/mae/en/sala_stampa/archivionotizie/approfondimenti/farnesina-al-lavoro-per-una-corretta-informazione-all-estero.html

Edited by Homosassa

Lots of great links being shared but remember those from the USA should follow cdc guidelines or risk your insurance  being invalid. In the very least you will want to call your insurance company if you are traveling to any areas that the cdc has recommended we stop all non-essential travel. This includes all of China, Iran, Italy, and South Korea.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/index.html

• Like 2

Saw this on a page that cannot be named re UK customers, meanwhile 300 or so Italian passengers and crew who were refused boarding in Miami, passengers will have their cruise fare refunded along with a 20% future cruise discount !

DON'T CANCEL, JUST MOVE! MSC TWEAK CANCELLATION POLICY FOR MARCH AND APRIL!

MSC Cruises have tweaked their cancellation policy for March and April sailings in the Mediterranean and Northern Europe.

If you have a cruise for one of these regions in March and April and want to cancel it then don't, just move it instead! MSC will now let you move your cruise without administration fees to another cruise within 12 months of the original sailing. Now, if the new sailing costs more you'll have to pay the difference but thats ok.

This is good news for those of you who desperately want to take that beautiful cruise holiday but are wrestling with yourself as to whether to cancel and lose your money or to go. There's no reason not to go...there are ships full of people just like you cruising around the world as we type and having a safe and wonderful time!

Furthermore, if you're cruising in April and are thinking of cancelling, but don't want to move to another sailing in the next 12 months then you can also cancel and just lose the deposit up to 22 days before sailing. That is also a positive shift as typically you would lose the full payment.

If you need to know more then discuss with your agent tomorrow. We want you to cruise, we'll be cruising in March and have no concerns at all in doing so, but everyone is different. MSC at least are giving you some real options now to prevent you losing your precious hard earned money and we think we all can appreciate that!

3 hours ago, sidari said:

Saw this on a page that cannot be named re UK customers, meanwhile 300 or so Italian passengers and crew who were refused boarding in Miami, passengers will have their cruise fare refunded along with a 20% future cruise discount !

Dear sid, Thank you... You really do provide the best info on the CC boards. 

43 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

What's the position with cruises out of USA given the rapidly expanding cases over there and suggestions they aren't testing many people either? Are there calls for cruises out of ports there to be cancelled?

Most of the new cases right now are in Washington State - no cruises there.  But if it starts hitting Florida badly, it could be another issue.

20 hours ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Cancelled.  Sad as I have been looking forward to this for so long.  Relieved that at least I will not lose that money even if I lose the flights.  Hope I can still do this trip, even if not with a cruise as I planned and just a land vacation. 

We have also cancelled. As you, we are sad. But with the increasing number of cases in Europe a cruise there is too risky.

• Like 1

As usual, everyone should be leery of blanket statement about travel insurance being deemed invalid if the travel restrictions imposed  by the US CDC are not followed.

Specifically, for MSC cruises for which the MSC insurance has been purchased (which I have for my upcoming cruise on the Armonia), one of the General Exclusions of coverage is "Travel restrictions imposed for a certain area by government authority."

In other words, follow any restrictions and your claims are excluded.

I will not go into the excellent coverage for illness (includes yourself, travel partner or family members and time periods occurring after the policy was purchased and during the trip) but will note the Trip Delay and Trip Cancellation sections  do include coverage for  "Quarantine."

• Like 1

3 hours ago, travelberlin said:

We have also cancelled. As you, we are sad. But with the increasing number of cases in Europe a cruise there is too risky.

Well, the first case was just diagnosed in my county (Wake County, NC).  Someone who traveled to and visited the facility in Spokane where sadly most of the deaths in the US have happened.  What are the odds?  Very nervous, as I presume they didn't drive there, and my husband flies in and out of our local airport every week, and I myself and my son have been at the airport 3x in the last week.

So maybe "I" would be denied boarding at this point 😞

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GatorMomInNC said:

Well, the first case was just diagnosed in my county (Wake County, NC).  Someone who traveled to and visited the facility in Spokane where sadly most of the deaths in the US have happened.  What are the odds?  Very nervous, as I presume they didn't drive there, and my husband flies in and out of our local airport every week, and I myself and my son have been at the airport 3x in the last week.

So maybe "I" would be denied boarding at this point 😞

Sorry!  I was wondering how close you were.  We are all the way down in Brunswick county but its likely just a matter of time until its down here.  Certainly if its still a thing during tourist season, we will have it as we get a ton of tourist traffic.

You guys are in my thoughts. :hug:

16 minutes ago, aprilF said:

Sorry!  I was wondering how close you were.  We are all the way down in Brunswick county but its likely just a matter of time until its down here.  Certainly if its still a thing during tourist season, we will have it as we get a ton of tourist traffic.

You guys are in my thoughts. :hug:

Thank you.  I just read a more detailed article.  They flew into RDU on 2/22.  That is the day I took my 12 year old for his TSA pre-check appointment 😞 Intellectually I know I am totally over reacting and being way too negative, but I am feeling very down and depressed.  My "happy place" is cruising and planning for a cruise and that is gone, now I am stressed out and using clorox wipes and hand sanitizer and trying to "be cool" and reassure my anxious children. My work has told everyone they can now work from home if that is more comfortable for them.   Is this the new normal?

• Like 1

IMO, the low number of reported cases in some countries is that they don’t have the testing facilities or test kits. My DIL is from South Korea and she said the test they do takes 10 mins with an 85% accuracy.  This is from Worldometers:

Coronavirus Testing: Criteria and Numbers by Country 

As of March 2, 2020

Country
Tests Performed  Tests per Million People 
Population

South Korea 
Italy
Austria
Switzerland
UK
Finland
Vietnam

Turkey
United States 
472*

* as of March 1. On March 2, the "Total tested" figure was removed from CDC's websit10,000+ Club

Copied from another group, probably reason USA numbers low at present 

2 hours ago, cruiser man 60 said:

IMO, the low number of reported cases in some countries is that they don’t have the testing facilities or test kits. My DIL is from South Korea and she said the test they do takes 10 mins with an 85% accuracy.  This is from Worldometers:

Coronavirus Testing: Criteria and Numbers by Country 

As of March 2, 2020

Country
Tests Performed  Tests per Million People 
Population

South Korea 
Italy
Austria
Switzerland
UK
Finland
Vietnam

Turkey
United States 
472*

* as of March 1. On March 2, the "Total tested" figure was removed from CDC's websit10,000+ Club

Copied from another group, probably reason USA numbers low at present 

I was wondering the same...when the testing is available on a widespread basis in the US I wonder what will happen to the numbers?