Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

Just now, need2cruisesoon said:

I'm on the 3/29 cruise and have an uneasy feeling that our cruise is in very real jeopardy of being cancelled.

I can't see Princess or city of SF or the CDC letting current passengers disembark.

I agree with you. I'm thinking our 3/29 cruise is gone.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, need2cruisesoon said:

I'm on the 3/29 cruise and have an uneasy feeling that our cruise is in very real jeopardy of being cancelled.

I can't see Princess or city of SF or the CDC letting current passengers disembark.

At least they will have to refund your money if they cancel. Too bad. One of my favorite ships. 

• Like 2

Just now, need2cruisesoon said:

I have no information one way or another but, it seems like the horse has already left the barn with all those passengers from the Feb 11-21 cruise already out in the general population ... going all over the globe!  

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Justalone said:

New briefing.  Governor of California has proclaimed a State of Emergency in California.  Serious indeed.

Possible ship quarantine. 

Yes, I'm watching it now.  Governor is sending out test kits, via the Coast Guard, to the ship.  Ship isn't allowed to dock at this time.  He said there are possible cases on board.  Hopefully the suspect cases will test negative. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

Yes, I'm watching it now.  Governor is sending out test kits, via the Coast Guard, to the ship.  Ship isn't allowed to dock at this time.  He said there are possible cases on board.  Hopefully the suspect cases will test negative. 

How far are you from the person who died? He lived in Shasta (?)County or Butte County?

9 minutes ago, partybarbie said:

Is this streaming online? Asking from Toronto, Canada and would like to hear what the Governor has to say. We aren’t getting too many details on this up here. 

On 3/2/2020 at 3:22 PM, 4cats4me said:

This is a little disturbing.   In the article they don’t name the Grand.  However, she was the only ship in port that day,

and I know a few people who were on that sailing.

You posted this Monday, which in today's environment seems like a lifetime ago. 

Your post was the first mention of this situation that I had seen, and despite some posters having a negative reaction, I appreciate you putting the information out there.  Perhaps those extra two days between your notification, and official information coming from Princess have helped others.  To me, that is the true purpose and value of Cruise Critic.  Thank you for stepping up.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

It is being reported that 11 passengers and 10 crew currently onboard the Grand have flu like symptoms.  

I just heard that on our news too.  I'm hoping it's another virus.  We all know how colds, flu, noro-virus etc., can spread on the ship.  We will all know more after the Grand gets the test kits. 

4 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

Do you have a source? Not challenging you, this is just a good time for sources. 

The Governor of California stated this in his news conference (thanks again to the CCers who provided me the link to find it!). He did make note the situation is fluid and those numbers could be either under reported or over reported. 

• Like 3

I really hope they do not quarantine passengers on the ship, like they did with the Diamond. We all know that did not work out well. 

Has it been stated how long it will take to get the results from the test kits being sent out to the ship, and if they are negative can everyone then disembark? 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AlyssaJames said:

Do you have a source? Not challenging you, this is just a good time for sources. 

https://www.cnn.com/asia/live-news/coronavirus-outbreak-03-04-20-intl-hnk/index.html

CNN:

California governor: 11 passengers and 10 crew members on cruise ship are "symptomatic"

"There are 11 passengers and 10 crew members on the Grand Princess cruise ship that are “symptomatic,” Gov. Gavin Newsom said in a press conference today.

The ship, which is currently off the coast, is holding hundreds of passengers, Newsom said.

The ship, which departed from San Francisco to Mexico from February 10-21, returned to San Francisco and left for Hawaii on February 21. 

Over 50% of the 2,500 passengers from the cruise to Mexico are Californians, Newsom said. Some of these passengers stayed and went on the second cruise to Hawaii on the same ship. 

They are sharing the list of passengers with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and local health care partners to contact all individuals who were on the cruise ship."

---

Edited by RSS from SF
  • Like 5

9 minutes ago, brisalta said:

Health Advisory announcement from Princess Cruise Lines regarding Grand Princess issued today March 4, 2020

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/grand-princess-updates.html

Very sad situation.

According to the advisory letter sent to passengers on the Grand the medical centre is suspending charges. That is a good thing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, debsjc said:

I really hope they do not quarantine passengers on the ship, like they did with the Diamond. We all know that did not work out well. 

Has it been stated how long it will take to get the results from the test kits being sent out to the ship, and if they are negative can everyone then disembark? 

In the Governor’s press conference, he indicated it would be a quick turnaround time to get the results once the tests are administered.  He stated 4 hours as the tests would be sent to a facility in Richmond. I do not recall him

addressing if and when the passengers would be allowed to disembark. That decision would

be made pending the test results. 

At risk of being labelled as passing on hearsay information, here is the link to the press conference that others so kindly shared with me in the event I misheard with all that’s going on related to this issue and our sailing on the Grand this weekend: https://www.pscp.tv/CAgovernor/1MYxNkDvBvRKw

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1