Grand Princess Coronavirus Discussion (retitled after merger of several topics)

4cats4me

Oh dear. 😔 Two cruises worth of pax affected, the crew, and people in the Mexican ports. My in-laws were supposed to be on the Royal this week and canceled due to Coronavirus. I know that’s a different ship, but they would have been to the same ports. I’m so grateful they didn’t go! May this not result in a huge spread! 

Also, I feel so badly for Princess, who has just been annihilated the past month with the Diamond, Caribbean, and now Grand. I can’t imagine how stressful this time is for their employees onboard and ashore. Stand strong, Princess; you’re the best! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, idahospud said:

Shame on Princess...I just spoke with a friend who works onboard. He hasn’t heard a word about it and he works all over the ship in passenger areas. Out and about on deck as we speak. Crew need to know.

what difference would it make?

5 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Oh dear. 😔 Two cruises worth of pax affected, the crew, and people in the Mexican ports. My in-laws were supposed to be on the Royal this week and canceled due to Coronavirus. I know that’s a different ship, but they would have been to the same ports. I’m so grateful they didn’t go! May this not result in a huge spread! 

Also, I feel so badly for Princess, who has just been annihilated the past month with the Diamond, Caribbean, and now Grand. I can’t imagine how stressful this time is for their employees onboard and ashore. Stand strong, Princess; you’re the best! 

I agree this is certainly no easy feat for Princess and am thinking of the crew and passengers presently onboard.  What baffles me presently is given the sheer number of cruise ships in the world and cruise lines, why is it that the two being impacted (or one impacted and a second potentially impacted) with Princess?  Not meaning to stir up trouble as we are loyal Princess cruisers but it seems unusual.  Does it have anything to do with certain practices and procedures?  

We're anxiously awaiting any news from Princess on the 3/7 sailing but there's been nothing thus far to inform us that our sailing will not go ahead on the Grand this weekend.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, strobellayjam said:

I agree this is certainly no easy feat for Princess and am thinking of the crew and passengers presently onboard.  What baffles me presently is given the sheer number of cruise ships in the world and cruise lines, why is it that the two being impacted (or one impacted and a second potentially impacted) with Princess?  Not meaning to stir up trouble as we are loyal Princess cruisers but it seems unusual.  Does it have anything to do with certain practices and procedures?  

We're anxiously awaiting any news from Princess on the 3/7 sailing but there's been nothing thus far to inform us that our sailing will not go ahead on the Grand this weekend.

What a stressful predicament you’re in; good luck!

Will follow this thread too. Cruise coming up at the end of the month leaving LA. Was a bit concerned before. Now a little more. Already planned to bring meds for 14 days. Have premium Princess insurance. I wonder what happens if I used a next cruise certificate and deposit isn’t refundable and I were to cancel. (Which I don’t plan to do ....as if now)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My bucket list B2B goes from 3/22-4/5/20 on the Grand

We have a dedicated line in the phone tree (think it was option 8 for future Grand Princess sailings). So I called my PVP & spoke with support.  I must cancel by 3/7 to receive full cash refund. Or wait. If they cancel up to embarkation point I get full cash refund but my promo (3rd person for $1) is gone

Waiting ..... I was told we would know at least 3 days before sailing 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Colo Cruiser said:

But Princess is not in Europe right now.   🤔

I was answering strobellayjam’s post who wondered why it was only Princess ships with the issues and I confirmed by stating it wasn’t (if you read my reply, you will see strobellayjam’s OP quoted).

It is concerning that a cruise that began on Feb 11th, likely started with one infected passenger, now has the current passengers and crew in a pickle on March 4th.  I don't think this will be the last cruise ship, one small mistake today, could lead to a quarantined ship in late March.

3 minutes ago, villauk said:

I was answering strobellayjam’s post who wondered why it was only Princess ships with the issues and I confirmed by stating it wasn’t (if you read my reply, you will see strobellayjam’s OP quoted).

Certainly not my intent to cause issues with my statement.... it was simply a thought. I should have deleted it. I would hope that CCers would understand the anxiety and concerns we have with our cruise potentially up in the air and many questions circling. 

• Like 4

Just now, Stateroom_Sailor said:

It is concerning that a cruise that began on Feb 11th, likely started with one infected passenger, now has the current passengers and crew in a pickle on March 4th.  I don't think this will be the last cruise ship, one small mistake today, could lead to a quarantined ship in late March.

It has been reported that he was hospitalized on Feb. 27, and symptomatic on the cruise.

Wishing everyone a safe journey home. I actually love to eat at the Mercado Negro in Ensenada, so I would be bummed to miss it. I hope that this is just a precautionary measure and that everyone is able to get home safely and on time. My thoughts and prayers are with those on the ship. 

10 minutes ago, Justalone said:

Do you know how many passengers and crew on the Grand are infected with the Corona virus? Rumor is that one passenger on Grand died.  Any word on the ship passengers who test positive being quarantined?  When the ship arrives in San Francisco, I hope Princess do not let passengers debark out into the San Francisco community to possibly infect the public, until all are tested  and are free of the virus.

Now it is reported Corona virus has a deadlier death rate than the flu. Out of 154 identified as infected in USA, 18 have died so far.   I am terrible at math, but do not know the % of infection to death.   
Hope and pray there are not a lot of passengers in the high risk group with pre existing conditions.

No one on the Grand has Corona virus or I should say no one that is known.  They two people who are reported to have it were on a previous sailing.   They are just being concerned over those on the previous cruise and this one as they might have had contact with the reported two cases.   My thinking is they could have been exposed anywhere even after they came home. I would think there would be a few questionable illnesses among the crew if it was from the ship as they have more passenger exposure.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, cruisingram1 said:

Will follow this thread too. Cruise coming up at the end of the month leaving LA. Was a bit concerned before. Now a little more. Already planned to bring meds for 14 days. Have premium Princess insurance. I wonder what happens if I used a next cruise certificate and deposit isn’t refundable and I were to cancel. (Which I don’t plan to do ....as if now)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK ... so I asked this same question as a 'just in case' scenario.  I've heard you will get your costs back in future cruise credits (if you canceled for a non-covered reason), minus the future cruise deposit, which would be forfeited.  But, that is a small price to pay for some for peace of mind.  

If you canceled for a covered reason, you would get your non-refundable costs back in cash from the actual underwriter of the insurance product.  

So we have a dedicated line in the phone tree (#8 for future Grand Princess sailings). If they cancel up to 3 days before embarkation of A008 cruise, I get full cash refund but my promo (3rd person for $1) is gone. Hoping PVP can work some magic for me. I'll immediately switch to early May LA-LA Royal Princess Cruise or later (July?) Star SF-SF Alaska cruise 

6 minutes ago, pedirn said:

No one on the Grand has Corona virus or I should say no one that is known.  They two people who are reported to have it were on a previous sailing.   They are just being concerned over those on the previous cruise and this one as they might have had contact with the reported two cases.   My thinking is they could have been exposed anywhere even after they came home. I would think there would be a few questionable illnesses among the crew if it was from the ship as they have more passenger exposure.

Yes, it is hard to tell when and where it was contracted.  It is reported that the gentleman that passed away today was hospitalized on Feb. 27 and symptomatic while on the cruise.  I would post the link but I have read so much that I do not recall where I exactly I read it.  Best wishes to all on current sailing!