Ports missed insurance question

10 minutes ago, chmusar said:

On our last cruise 2 ports where missed due to Coronavirus concerns, my travel insurance covers missed ports but I am not sure what or how much I can claim any information would be helpful 

Contact your insurance company.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, sparks1093 said:

This. What was your financial loss? That is typically what insurance covers.

Some insurance policies do have a flat coverage amount for missed ports, no proof of financial loss needed -- this coverage often even covers itinerary changes prior to leaving for the cruise!  They just need to provide an official statement from the cruiseline concerning the missed port or itinerary change to file the claim.  Check out Nationwide's travel insurance for an example as that's the one where I've seen this type of coverage offered.

Otherwise you are correct in that insurance may only cover the financial loss from pre-purchased non-refundable excursions when a port is missed.

Documentation is EVERYTHING when filing a claim.  Hopefully the OP kept the letter informing them of the missed ports of call so they can substantiate their claim.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Some insurance policies do have a flat coverage amount for missed ports, no proof of financial loss needed -- this coverage often even covers itinerary changes prior to leaving for the cruise!  They just need to provide an official statement from the cruiseline concerning the missed port or itinerary change to file the claim.  Check out Nationwide's travel insurance for an example as that's the one where I've seen this type of coverage offered.

Otherwise you are correct in that insurance may only cover the financial loss from pre-purchased non-refundable excursions when a port is missed.

Documentation is EVERYTHING when filing a claim.  Hopefully the OP kept the letter informing them of the missed ports of call so they can substantiate their claim.

Good to know. I've purchased Nationwide policies before and don't recall having this coverage so I'll have to look closer I guess.

1 hour ago, AshleyDillo said:

We always buy Nationwide travel insurance.  We have received payments for missed ports on two occasions.  We even received compensation for all ports when our itinerary was changed from Eastern to Western Caribbean pre-cruise.  You WILL need a lot of documentation - proof of original itinerary, copy of the notice from the cruise line re: itinerary change, proof that you went on the cruise (sign and sail statement), etc.  Nationwide was very easy to work with.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, handbellplayer said:

We always buy Nationwide travel insurance.  We have received payments for missed ports on two occasions.  We even received compensation for all ports when our itinerary was changed from Eastern to Western Caribbean pre-cruise.  You WILL need a lot of documentation - proof of original itinerary, copy of the notice from the cruise line re: itinerary change, proof that you went on the cruise (sign and sail statement), etc.  Nationwide was very easy to work with.

Did they pay for simply missing the ports or only paid for non-refundable expenses in the missed ports?

3 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

Did they pay for simply missing the ports or only paid for non-refundable expenses in the missed ports?

Flat rate per port - something like $200 per person per port, I think.  Our excursions (both RCCL and private) were refunded separately.  How much per port is based on which level of their insurance you purchase.

Edited by handbellplayer

From Nationwide's website

Itinerary Changes
  • Ports of call changed prior to departure (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Fire, mechanical, other covered issue impacting cruise experience (not available to residents of FL, MN, MO, NH, NY, OR, PA, VA, WA)
  • Itinerary change after departure causing you to miss a pre-paid excursion

• $100

• $100

• $250

So if you miss a port due to an itinerary change after departure you need to have a non-refundable excursion to make a claim?   Otherwise, you just get what the cruise line offers?  Plus contact with any non-cruise line vendor to get refund?

Some will automatically provide.  But I believe cruise sponsored excursions auto refund your price via ship credit, thus not eligible for insurance?

23 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

So if you miss a port due to an itinerary change after departure you need to have a non-refundable excursion to make a claim?   Otherwise, you just get what the cruise line offers?  Plus contact with any non-cruise line vendor to get refund?

Some will automatically provide.  But I believe cruise sponsored excursions auto refund your price via ship credit, thus not eligible for insurance?

Nope - if you have the right coverage you can claim just based on the missed port - neither of our claims involved excursions.

Thanks for the replies, all my excursions where independent ones which i have already received refunds for. and after looking at my terms and conditions of insurance it states :-

"Royal Mail Annual Insurance Elite"

"What is covered 1. A missed port benefit for each scheduled port at which Your cruise ship failed to stop."

"What is not covered 1. Any claim if Your cruise ship stopped at an alternative unscheduled port or if You were offered financial compensation, including on-board credit."

My insurance also says £100 per port missed but as i had credit of $76 from royal Caribbean do you think i could still claim the difference ? 

Hope the above makes sense

1 hour ago, crewsweeper said:

Make sure you note that it's not available to residents of certain states (including Florida) if you are looking at the screen clip in post #11. I think that applies to some other insurance carriers as well. I live in WA state, so it also applies to me and I have read through very carefully each time I buy trip insurance.  

• Like 1