Anthem Late Dinner and Shows Conflict

Please excuse me for asking what might be a stupid question, but this is my first cruise on a big ship where I had to book the shows ahead of time.  We sail on Sunday.  I booked We Will Rock You and Spectra's Cabaret on the Anthem at times that will go past our late dinner start time (8:00).  Does that mean we must miss out on having dinner in the main dining room on those nights, or can we still go to dinner before or after the shows? I rather enjoy the long dinners and really do not want to miss out on 2 out of 7 nights.  Thank you.

On our Christmas cruise Spectra's was on late at 10:30pm and there was an afternoon showing of We Will Rock You so if you can get those two (if they still do those times) your dinner will not be interrupted.  If I recall correctly the afternoon WWRY was not listed in the cruise planner but I saw it in the compass.  Because I had booked a 6:30pm showing of it ahead of the cruise.  Good luck!

Yeah, I was hoping to keep our show reservations since everything is booked up in the cruise planner (don't really want to have to deal with switching things around on the ship).  

I lie; I checked again and there is a Spectra's Cabaret open at 10:30 PM on one night, but I don't think my parents would appreciate going that late! lol.  And the one afternoon show for We Will Rock You conflicts with our Rip Cord reservations.  Too much to do, so little time!! I guess we will just see about getting into dinner after the shows or go to the buffet those nights.

1 hour ago, maysill88 said:

I booked We Will Rock You and Spectra's Cabaret on the Anthem at times that will go past our late dinner start time (8:00).  

How much later?  You can usually show up for dinner up to 30 minutes late.  And since you have late seating, it should not be a problem.  As a courtesy, alert your server that you plan to be late those days.

1 minute ago, Another_Critic said:

How much later?  You can usually show up for dinner up to 30 minutes late.  And since you have late seating, it should not be a problem.  As a courtesy, alert your server that you plan to be late those days.

Cruise planner is showing the cabaret ending at 8:25 PM and WWRY ending at 8:20 PM.  That would be great if we could go to dinner afterward.  Thank you, I will definitely give our server a heads-up for those nights!

28 minutes ago, maysill88 said:

I lie; I checked again and there is a Spectra's Cabaret open at 10:30 PM on one night, but I don't think my parents would appreciate going that late! lol.  

I didn't appreciate seeing Spectra's Cabaret at any time.  It was just weird.  YMMV.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, maysill88 said:

Cruise planner is showing the cabaret ending at 8:25 PM and WWRY ending at 8:20 PM.  That would be great if we could go to dinner afterward.  Thank you, I will definitely give our server a heads-up for those nights!

Just don't leave WWRY early as the best song is the encore.  Many people leave as they are doing their curtain call, wait for the song you have been waiting the whole show to hear!

1 hour ago, Another_Critic said:

Seems pretty rude if you are at a large table to make others wait 30 minutes. 

1 hour ago, taglovestocruise said:

Seems pretty rude if you are at a large table to make others wait 30 minutes. 

I didn't even think of that situation since I haven't been at a table with people other than family for a very long time.

However, the others do not have to wait for everyone to arrive.  And I don't think it would be rude, especially if you give them a courtesy heads up.

14 minutes ago, Another_Critic said:

I didn't even think of that situation since I haven't been at a table with people other than family for a very long time.

However, the others do not have to wait for everyone to arrive.  And I don't think it would be rude, especially if you give them a courtesy heads up.

Not waiting for everyone to arrive is equally as rude.  Waiters will usually hold off about 15 minutes, allowing you to eat lots of bread.  Casting aside rudeness I would not want to be eating my main course as the person next to me is ordering appetizers. I may be too old fashioned for todays eat and go crowd.  Last cruise we opted for MTD, which we both hate, as we had 8 specialty dinners and I felt it would be rude to miss that many MDR dinners at a large table. 

16 hours ago, mets123 said:

You can try MTD for those nights.

nope.  no switching between MTD and  Traditional.   

your options are to  eat elsewhere such as  the buffet or a specialty, or to  choose different show times.  being more than 10 minutes past your  set dining time is bad form and throws everything off.  it will not only affect your dining, but the dining of your table mates and those around you.  

We were on Anthem if February and had the same issue with We Will Rock You.  We had the 8pm seating for dinner and the show let out around 8:20pm.   All we did was let our waiter know the night before that we were going to be approximately 25-30 minutes late the next night,  due to a show.  It was no problem at all.

On 3/5/2020 at 9:30 PM, Merion_Mom said:

@maysill88

The Solarium Bistro is very nice for dinner.  You can make reservations in your Cruise Planner, but there is no charge.  You can linger as long as you like.

I agree, we loved Solarium Bistro for dinner. Nice, change of pace, quiter than MDR and best of all free! I would definately book it one or two nights if I was on a ship that had this option 

On 3/5/2020 at 1:33 PM, little britain said:

No you cannot. 

they always had a late show around 22:30 when I was on?   Has the OP checked all show timings? 

Agree... Some ships have this later show. The older Royal ships I go on every yr the show for Second Seat MD is before Dinner

Edited by ONECRUISER

We Will Rock You was absolutely fabulous but the timing always conflicts with set dinner time.  We usually sit at a table with others and will not ask them to wait for us as we feel it’s disrespectful.  The only time that works is during the day on the last day; either 2:30 or 3:30 (I forget the specific time).    Sure wish they’d change the times.