Cruise in 2 weeks - Family pressuring me to cancel due to COVID-19

Kulaid05

With all the news about the COVID-19 virus, my ex- and his family family is pressuring me to cancel our Princess Cruise in 2 weeks.  I am going with my Mother and my 15yr old daughter.  I have been on 5 cruises and my mother has been on 10 - MOST 10-14 day cruises.  I have never been sick and my mom has only been sick when she returned - Never on the cruise.  I do not want to cancel.  My family - including my EX-mother in law is calling to see if we are going to cancel.  My ex-husband doesn't think its a good idea.  I just don't know what to do.  We are going to the Caribbean and I have been planning this for over a year.   - Thanks BAK

Only you can decide what to do. At least with the new cancellation policy, you won't lose everything if you cancel, but you obviously won't get the extra OBC either.

Personally, we're due to sail to Alaska in May and we have no intentions of canceling. My opinion is there's a lot of panic out there and, providing you take basic precautions (wash hands regularly, stop touching your face, etc.), the odds are in your favor and the ships will have a lot of free space on them!

Only you can decide what is right for your family but as for me and mine, we are also going in two weeks. We do not have underlying health issues or I may reconsider, but frankly I'm more worried about norovirus. I've had it twice, never on a ship, and that is wicked.

We also traveled to China during H1N1 and flew during the ebola scare, so maybe we're crazy. Take extra clorox wipes, wash your hands frequently, and have fun. That's what we're going to do. My only regret will being in an inside room if we get quarantined!

Bonus...did you see you'll be getting an OBC if you keep your reservation?

Edited by travelhound
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, trajan said:

I wonder how your ex’s family would view this if it was their vacation. People have a way of completely reversing their thinking when it is convenient.

pretty sure it's out of concern for the 15 yo daughter

and as someone posted above, for us, it would be all about the possible 14 day confinement

• Like 2

This just in, I know it is not the Caribbean but looks like a trend:

A high-alert mode has been introduced in Moscow, per decree all incoming MOSCOW-BASED RUSSIAN travellers are requested to spend 14 days in home quarantine.

https://www.internationalsos.com/pandemic-sites/pandemic/home/2019-ncov/ncov-travel-restrictions-flight-operations-and-screening

We recently went through a difficult experience cruising with our recently divorced daughter and two of her minor children. Her ex made things very difficult as they shared custody and while he had previously agreed (in front of a judge) they could go on the cruise, he wouldn't give permission for them to obtain passports (until the judge ordered him to do so) and then wouldn't provide a permission letter for the children to leave the country (until the judge again ordered him to do so).

Now, all that said, I don't know what the legal circumstances are between you and your ex, nor do I want to know. Please consider what he may or may not be able to do if he gets more serious about your daughter not cruising.

• Like 4

I'm sure the concern is for the daughter.  We're bringing our 9 year old and I'm not worried about her. Actually, kids seem to fair better than adults with the virus. Missing school would be an issue if quarantined, but we'll take that chance.

My daughter's school had one of the worst flu seasons this year. One day 8 kids out of 24 were missing. That was much more of a risk for her.

Edited by travelhound

We are boarding a ship in Australia in 4 weeks and at this point are not canceling.  We have waited a long time having booked almost 2 years ago to give up now.  Take along alcohol laced wipes, hand sanitizer, wash your hands frequently (20 seconds of good hand scrubbing) and keep your hands away from your face.  There is a lot of panic now but most of it is not warranted.  Just remember that 25 people died in Nashville while still in their beds or just had awaken.  We are not safe anywhere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

What's more important to you??? The time you took to plan the vacation, or the possible health risks?

We sailed the Crown on 2/15 for 10 days,  and were only slightly paranoid about folks we heard coughing. (some folks, out of sheer habit, coughinto their hands)

Not a single officer at the Captain's Circle reception extended their hand, and I can't blame them.

We also avoided hand rails, as much as possible, and sanitized our hands often, especially after playing the slot machines.

30 minutes ago, Kulaid05 said:

With all the news about the COVID-19 virus, my ex- and his family family is pressuring me to cancel our Princess Cruise in 2 weeks.  I am going with my Mother and my 15yr old daughter.  I have been on 5 cruises and my mother has been on 10 - MOST 10-14 day cruises.  I have never been sick and my mom has only been sick when she returned - Never on the cruise.  I do not want to cancel.  My family - including my EX-mother in law is calling to see if we are going to cancel.  My ex-husband doesn't think its a good idea.  I just don't know what to do.  We are going to the Caribbean and I have been planning this for over a year.   - Thanks BAK

As many have said the biggest fear is being quarantined. Even with this, the Q period could be anywhere from 14 days to a month before heading home. How the situation is handled for those on the current Grand princess might sway decisions going forward. Hopefully lessons have been learned from the Diamond situation.  

Depends on a lot of things.  What you mothers age is.  Over 60 I would say high risk. Does your mother have any negative health issues already?  Can you afford to be away for a month?  14 days quarantined on the ship and 14 days off the ship plus the possible week of cruise added on.  Currently these are the current procedures that have happened to people on the previous cruise. 

• Like 1

You have to decide.  The real question becomes how far do we go.  Will they not take your daughter to a sporting event or other venues that have a large number of people. I have a cruise booked for this year and plan on taking it. 

• Thanks 1

This is what the "experts" are saying in regards to Grand Princess and other cruise ships:

"Cruise ships are posing probably one of the biggest challenges that we are seeing in this outbreak," said Dr. Jeanne Marrazzo, infectious diseases director at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.
"We know these cruise ships are essentially ... we've been calling them incubators, they are incredibly very healthy environments for the pathogens that we're talking about."

Thanks for everyone's input.  For now we are keeping status quo.  My mother is healthy and she is looking forward to the cruise.  My daughter would be devastated, but understand.  I think that the check in procedure will be strict and if they do not let us in a port of call, I will be ok - I have skipped a port of call or two in my cruising experience.  If I can't come home right away, I have a case of known associates who are currently traveling and will not be allowed back to work for 14 days.  (traveling to Vietnam)  If this happens to me and my employer "fires" me for not being able to come into work, I have precedence of someone not being fired for traveling and not being able to come back to work right away.

If cruises were NOT safe, then people would not go on them.  Just take precautions - as I always did before - and have fun

• Like 6

5 hours ago, travelhound said:

I'm sure the concern is for the daughter.  We're bringing our 9 year old and I'm not worried about her. Actually, kids seem to fair better than adults with the virus. Missing school would be an issue if quarantined, but we'll take that chance.

My daughter's school had one of the worst flu seasons this year. One day 8 kids out of 24 were missing. That was much more of a risk for her.

I was listening to a doctor on tv today and he said the ages affected are 60 and over.  No children have been found to be at risk.  But the older you are, the chances of acquiring the virus goes up.  And, of course, ANYONE with a pre-existing condition.   Who knows what to believe about this virus.

I heard that too. Not that kids couldn't get it, but that certainly hasn't been the demo so far. As I said earlier, my daughter's classroom was a literal petrie dish this winter. Only my daughter and one other kid out of 24 didn't get sick. So, we could stay home from spring break and still get sick.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

The Cruise line may soon make the  decision for you if The Grand is found to be infected. Cruising may come to a halt soon. Personally, I would not go but you have to make that decision. 

I could definitely see an order to shut down the entire cruise industry for an indefinite period as this virus expands.

• Like 5

V.P. Pence just announced so far, 2 passengers and 19 crew members tested positive for Civid 19.  Does not look like the Grand will be allowed to dock in San Francisco anytime soon.

Edited by Justalone