I successfully canceled my May cruise - here is advice for all

Was able to get through and was very easy. Because it is so close to our cruise (leaving March 15) we will get the whole refund as aFCC. We did not get reimbursed for port fees. Has anyone else had this issue?

Just now, nich3cats said:

Was able to get through and was very easy. Because it is so close to our cruise (leaving March 15) we will get the whole refund as aFCC. We did not get reimbursed for port fees. Has anyone else had this issue?

Port fees will go back to your credit card 

3 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have no intention of cancelling yet as this situation is fluid and we feel our cruise could be cancelled if things get worse.  We will wait it out and see what happens.  

What is your itinerary? That's my delima. Cancel now and get 50% back as a refund or wait and see if the cruise is canceled. Then I will get 100% back as a refund. I would rather have cash than FCC. Mine is a bahamse cruise so I think it is on of the "safer" itineraries.

Just now, Ourusualbeach said:

If there is no cruise fare for a guest then there would be no FCC

If/when I cancel I will be sure to ask how much each person is getting as a FCC. Someone reported the cruise fare being divided equally. I would hate that as we only travel Royal using  using Kids Sail Free. If the kids were issued a FCC we would NEVER be able to use it. 

Just now, MoniMommy said:

If/when I cancel I will be sure to ask how much each person is getting as a FCC. Someone reported the cruise fare being divided equally. I would hate that as we only travel Royal using  using Kids Sail Free. If the kids were issued a FCC we would NEVER be able to use it. 

I would definitely ask but I can’t see them dividing it equally. 

Just now, MoniMommy said:

What is your itinerary? That's my delima. Cancel now and get 50% back as a refund or wait and see if the cruise is canceled. Then I will get 100% back as a refund. I would rather have cash than FCC. Mine is a bahamse cruise so I think it is on of the "safer" itineraries.

We are sailing Freedom from San Juan May 3rd to ABC islands and St Maarten.  We went into 75% penalty on March 4th, so would be 25% refund and 75% FCC now if we cancel.  We will likely make a decision before we get to 100% penalty, so all FCC.  The flight is what I am most concerned about.  We will wait it out for a while.

19 minutes ago, MoniMommy said:

So if Royal cancels the cruise,  its a full 100% refund and NOT a FCC? I have a cruise out of Rome in May, should I wait it out (I'd prefer cash than FCC)??

Just now, bella55555 said:

So if Royal cancels the cruise,  its a full 100% refund and NOT a FCC? I have a cruise out of Rome in May, should I wait it out (I'd prefer cash than FCC)??

You’ve got nothing to lose by waiting it out.  You can wait until 3 days before to cancel and get the FCC

First, we'd like to give credit and special thanks to Oceansaway17.

Second, we are genuinely grateful to many of the experienced members on Cruise Critic that continue to help us and others.  Perhaps we can help and reciprocate some day.

We were able to speak to our travel agent (big box TA) and cancelled our Allure sailings this coming May and June.

All of our sailings were paid in full.  We were told that we would receive part our full payment back.  We would receive the "penalty" amount in FCC.  Bottom line: No money lost.  Our "big box" TA sent an email confirming the cancellation and FCC amounts,  but did not provide a cancellation number.  We were also able to cancel our Air2Sea airfare and will receive full refund.   Note: We really did not want to cancel, but the rest of the family decided to cancel...we'll all simply wait and book other cruises at a later date.  Thanks Oceansaway17.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, soloadventurer said:

Cancelled 1 of my cruises yesterday for April and immediately rebooked it at a better rate and cabin and saved money 

This is exactly what we were wondering!! Thank you so much for posting.

Did they give you any grief trying to better your rate? Did you cancel and rebook on the same call or did you call back? What are you going to do with the overage, can this apply as an onboard credit?

1 minute ago, Kjr5155 said:

This is exactly what we were wondering!! Thank you so much for posting.

Did they give you any grief trying to better your rate? Did you cancel and rebook on the same call or did you call back? What are you going to do with the overage, can this apply as an onboard credit?

The fcc won’t be issued for 4 to 6 weeks.  They would have to pay for the new cruise and then wait for the FCC and apply it later.  Not sure if it could be applied to the same cruise it was issued for but it could be applied to a different cruise at a later date. 

6 minutes ago, bonsai3s said:

What would happen to OBC's attached to the cancelled cruise?

NextCruise OBC...guessing it would remain?

Other OBC's...lost?

Correct 

14) What will happen to my Onboard Credit if I cancel?

• Any Next Cruise Onboard Credits will be re-added to your booking if you change ship and sail date. And if you choose to cancel, it will be re-applied to your new booking. All other Onboard Credits will not move with your ship & sail date change and will not be honored on new bookings.
Edited by Ourusualbeach

15 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Correct 

• Any Next Cruise Onboard Credits will be re-added to your booking if you change ship and sail date. And if you choose to cancel, it will be re-applied to your new booking. All other Onboard Credits will not move with your ship & sail date change and will not be honored on new bookings.

Thank you...we could always count on you.😊

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, lake show cruiser said:

We are also on April 25 SOS sailing. We are leaning to canceling and just go to Disney World for a longer period then originally planned.  No decision has been made. 

Disney won't be as sanitized as the cruise ship that I know. I'd bet you'd be more exposed at Disney, hotel & transportation use.

I think airplanes & cruise ships will be cleaner than they've been in years during this period. I'm not worried about the ship itself. I'm more worried about the dirty people that don't wash after wiping and use their hand for sneezing/coughing.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Correct 

Will a Next Cruise discount (you can choose OBC or discount) also be applied to a new booking?

1 hour ago, lake show cruiser said:

We are also on April 25 SOS sailing. We are leaning to canceling and just go to Disney World for a longer period then originally planned.  No decision has been made. 

You think that there are fewer germs, fewer people, fewer crowds, more sanitation at Disney World??????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, flyguyjake said:

I think airplanes & cruise ships will be cleaner than they've been in years during this period. I'm not worried about the ship itself. I'm more worried about the dirty people that don't wash after wiping and use their hand for sneezing/coughing.

Yes, if we could be inoculated against the finger lickers who then go and touch everything. 

5 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

You think that there are fewer germs, fewer people, fewer crowds, more sanitation at Disney World??????

Good point, but it's not so much I think we will get sick on the cruise, I'm more worried about being stuck on the ship if someone does have the virus. Royal's new policy makes it so we lose nothing and can use the FCC for our Oasis cruise in November. Hopefully, things will be different and less crazy by the end of April. 

• Like 2

Thanks for this thread.  Very helpful.  So we will get back deposits as FCC also or do we lose deposits?  

I do not want to cancel but I work in a hospital.  They have basically said I will be not be allowed to return to work for 2 weeks post cruise if I leave the US for any reason.  i have about 10 more days to get back 25%.  I used Royal credit card points also for this which I’m assuming I will lose?  

Taxes, port charges, pre paid excursions I will get back right?  I used on board credit to reserve excursions so am unsure if I lose all that too?  Some of it was from booking on board. I’m okay with FCC as I have 2 cruises booked in 2021 to use it for.  

Our airfare was with Southwest.  We cruise in October again so can move that money to those flights.  Of course $300 in insurance will be gone.  I’m just trying to figure out my losses. 

We are very sad...if I wasn’t still working we’d go.  It’s been planned for 2 years since the booking opened and we have an aft balcony.  We are early 60’s and in good health. My kids cruise next week and at then end of April.  Another one has tickets for Paris in the summer. I’m advising them to go and enjoy themselves.  We got back from Enchantment a week ago and despite missing a port had a great time. 

• Like 1

You are welcome everyone and I am happy I started thread. Rach of you has to decide on your own especially for overseas travel.

As part of my credit I got my deposit back and port fees too.

RCI is treating cancels using penalty schedule and calculation is based on credits and FCC. No need to worry if you did not have insurance. But if you bought it, you do lose it.

Please everyone when you do call, KEEP YOUR COOL and speak nicely. 

The lady I had was very emotional telling  me I was the first calm and pleasant person she had in several hours. She mention the anger is hard on the agents who are trying to help.

They are stressed and so be gentle and DO THE MATH yourself before you call and as a reminder, GET THE CANCEL number.

Me thinks cruises will book up for later in year and next year. So be on the alert and keep a positive outlook.

• Like 5