Arcadia world cruise - more possible itinerary changes.

Ukulele girl

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

There are too many limitations that would require too many alterations.. 

Possibly convalescing, but not mainline hospitals. 

Carpeted rooms for a start are a no no as well as access etc. 

That's why these big open places like the NEC are ideal, wards are created quickly with new flooring and partitions flying in. 

Andy 

Yes, every time I have read someone suggest a cruise ship as a hospital I have smiled to myself, as they are so far removed from what would constitute a practical hospital environment. I am often critical as to how painfully slow we are to do major projects in the UK and the ludicrous time scales that are given for major projects, not least roadworks, compared to places like Japan. A year or so ago in Japan they completely demolished an entire (and long) flyover through a city centre and reinstated roads underneath it - all over one weekend. In the UK we would give ourselves 2 years of disruption! All that being said, these Nightingale Hospitals show what can be done. I appreciate that the physical buildings are already there, but they are still enormous projects and those who have planned and delivered them should not go unrecognised when all of this is over. Truly outstanding.  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Pennbank said:

The Arcadia was due to lay up in Dover  with Aurora after Southampton arrival on April 12th so its perfectly reasonable that she could be doing the Dover/Liverpool drop off due to lack of public transport available.

I think it would be somewhat cheaper to hire extra coaches to get people home.

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Can't I use my FCC?

I am waiting for some money from a Prince in Nigeria, when I get that I can pay for this one... 

Andy 

Andy

CAn you not just get the Prince to pop round to P&O's new office in Nigeria and pay it for you directly. Seems to make sense to me and cuts out all those money transfers!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes, every time I have read someone suggest a cruise ship as a hospital I have smiled to myself, as they are so far removed from what would constitute a practical hospital environment. I am often critical as to how painfully slow we are to do major projects in the UK and the ludicrous time scales that are given for major projects, not least roadworks, compared to places like Japan. A year or so ago in Japan they completely demolished an entire (and long) flyover through a city centre and reinstated roads underneath it - all over one weekend. In the UK we would give ourselves 2 years of disruption! All that being said, these Nightingale Hospitals show what can be done. I appreciate that the physical buildings are already there, but they are still enormous projects and those who have planned and delivered them should not go unrecognised when all of this is over. Truly outstanding.  

Smile? Carnival in US offered use of ships. For those old enough to remember the Falklands war, P&O Canberra was used as a troop carrying ship out to Falklands and the ship was used as a Hospital Ship once there. I promise you the theatre on board was used as an operating theatre, many lives were saved and a some sadly lost. Cunard also had a ship requisitioned and was compensated well for its use.  In normal times a little of what you say may be correct but saw the sad news yesterday and we are not in normal times. 

20 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Can't I use my FCC?

I am waiting for some money from a Prince in Nigeria, when I get that I can pay for this one... 

Andy 

Yeah,I've had that,I'm before  you.They keep asking for these bits of coin,confusing,what bits do they want.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Friends of mine have just completed the Flooring in the NEC. 

50,000 m2 of vinyl flooring over 5 nights.. Believe me, that is amazing. 

Hats off to them... 

Andy 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Trevor33 said:

Smile? Carnival in US offered use of ships. For those old enough to remember the Falklands war, P&O Canberra was used as a troop carrying ship out to Falklands and the ship was used as a Hospital Ship once there. I promise you the theatre on board was used as an operating theatre, many lives were saved and a some sadly lost. Cunard also had a ship requisitioned and was compensated well for its use.  In normal times a little of what you say may be correct but saw the sad news yesterday and we are not in normal times. 

Yes I do recall that and as you say in extremis it’s an option, but we weren’t in control of the land there at the time and even if we had been there wasn’t the infrastructure in place, so everything had to be ship based. Very different scenario now and when you have land based options a cruise ship wouldn’t feature as a sensible alternative IMO. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Clodia said:

She arrived about 6.30am

No I think it was before that. I got up about 6am and she was already tied up then. A lady who posts pictures of the ships seems to have posted her coming in about 4am!!!

From what I've read disembarkation will be going on until about 3pm. Everbody has been given a set time to get off, to allow for social distancing. People comeing to collect them have been told to stick to the time given. I assume so that people will collect luggage, go through customs, straight to the car that is collecting them..Not lots of people hanging around. A very very different world to arrive back to. They will wonder where the population has gone to on their return journey.

13 minutes ago, the english lady said:

No I think it was before that. I got up about 6am and she was already tied up then. A lady who posts pictures of the ships seems to have posted her coming in about 4am!!!

From what I've read disembarkation will be going on until about 3pm. Everbody has been given a set time to get off, to allow for social distancing. People comeing to collect them have been told to stick to the time given. I assume so that people will collect luggage, go through customs, straight to the car that is collecting them..Not lots of people hanging around. A very very different world to arrive back to. They will wonder where the population has gone to on their return journey.

Welcome home Arcadia and all who have sailed on her.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I’m very glad she’s home and all on board safe and hopefully well and thinking of all the crew at this time , hope everyone has a safe journey home , I’m sad I will not be sailing on her today but our lives are more important and we all will be sailing again sometime in the future , keep hoping, keep safe, keep smiling, and say a little prayer for all the lost ones .

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

When I got up just before 6 she still appeared to be on the move near the berth; it may be that the ships tracker site I was using hadn't updated for a few minutes. Normally I would have woken as she sailed in and gone to the window of my room at the Holiday Inn to watch her, because I was due to sail on her this afternoon. Been very very sad all day but glad she's made it home with everybody safe and well. They will wonder what's hit them!

52 minutes ago, simonpjd said:

I am meant to be on her in 8 weeks. I don’t think so.

I am meant to be on Azura at the end of May; don't think so. The combined FCC from these 2 ought to get me a good cabin for a future cruise next year or at the start of 2022.

Edited by Clodia

2 minutes ago, Clodia said:

I am meant to be on Azura at the end of May; don't think so. The combined FCC from these 2 ought to get me a good cabin for a future cruise next year or at the start of 2022.

Are you able to combine FCCs on to a single booking? 

Good news Arcadia home safely. Sadly hearing QM2 off  Tenerife in the early hours of this morning. Captain woke everyone at 1.45am this morning to advise a medivac off the ship with a very sick passenger. Let us hope we are over all this soon as possible. 

Very sad to hear at this time of uncertainty , what ever the illness is my thoughts are with them and family, and hope everyone else on board remains well and healthy and gets home safely and all crew to get home and spend some family time together which is the most important thing in all our lives , keep smiling, keep hoping, keep praying for all that are going through hard times at this moment, my thoughts are with you all.

• Like 2

On 4/11/2020 at 11:42 AM, Selbourne said:

Yes I do recall that and as you say in extremis it’s an option, but we weren’t in control of the land there at the time and even if we had been there wasn’t the infrastructure in place, so everything had to be ship based. Very different scenario now and when you have land based options a cruise ship wouldn’t feature as a sensible alternative IMO. 

We just had the Red and Green life machine there, which did an amazing job

Edited by Elaine0138
typo

7 hours ago, Clodia said:

When I got up just before 6 she still appeared to be on the move near the berth; it may be that the ships tracker site I was using hadn't updated for a few minutes. Normally I would have woken as she sailed in and gone to the window of my room at the Holiday Inn to watch her, because I was due to sail on her this afternoon. Been very very sad all day but glad she's made it home with everybody safe and well. They will wonder what's hit them!

I got off Arcadia today. When I looked out this morning at 3:30am she was manoeuvring onto the berth. Disembarkation is over 3 days. Most of us got off the ship today with disembarkation times up to 4pm (as no one was waiting to board). We had full use of our cabins right up to disembarkation. The most civil and organized, debark I have ever experienced. No crowds, and no real queues to speak of. Social distancing was being adhered to by just about everyone. We were allowed to leave the ship and enter the terminal in small groups.

There were approx. 1400 passengers on board, so we were about 700 short of being a full ship. Also the Australians on board will disembark tomorrow, and will be coached up to Heathrow. Many of the  crew will be leaving the ship on Tuesday.

Today was the first time I set foot on dry land since leaving Australia. 33 sea days, including 2 technical stops for fuel and supplies.

Overall an interesting cruise that won't be forgotten in a hurry. 

Brian

• Like 6