Arcadia world cruise - more possible itinerary changes.

Ukulele girl

35 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

She must be going uphill... Or it could be bad traffic... 😊

Andy 

now doing 16>5 knots by my reckoning with just over 700 nm to go she is up with her eta

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, sogne said:

now doing 16>5 knots by my reckoning with just over 700 nm to go she is up with her eta

Latest news from another site is that all is OK, but the wifi is taking a battering as everyone is trying to sort out travel arrangements for when they get back to the UK.

I had an email exchange with my sister on Arcadia at the weekend. All is well on board and they are still enjoying themselves. I had asked her about social distancing on the coach ride home and she said they may not all disembark on the 12th but may take a few days to be allowed off. Not sure what arrangements have been made so far about this but I am sure she will let me know once they have an idea. She said she would be happy to stay on board till all the virus problems have passed! I think it has been a safe haven for them.

They cannot understand what they are returning to as we have all worked up to this point gradually. My sister said they are all being given 100 minutes internet access during the final week (it will certainly take a battering then). She said she would use some of hers to do an on-line, home delivery shop. I tried to suggest that she may not get a slot as so many people who are on the government list and who are shielding or self isolating may have them all - she didn't seem to be convinced there would be a problem. It is all going to be quite a shock as well as the shock of having to feed and look after themselves again after being waited on hand and foot for 3 months.

I will be very pleased to have my sister home after all the stories of Covid 19 on other cruises. I am only 40 minutes from Southampton and would love to be a welcoming committee for her but she is likely to get off early morning as she has a 7 hour journey north by coach - and of course social distancing, unnecessary travel etc !!!! Still, it will be great to be able to talk with her again.

So, tomorrow they should be in Tenerife  presumably for fuel and food. I have been using CruiseMapper and plotting the position on my world map. After that only 5 days to get home. I have been grateful for the comments on this thread as it has been an emotional roller coaster during the last 4 weeks of the cruise and checking in to these comments has been supportive. Thank you all.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Ukulele girl said:

I had an email exchange with my sister on Arcadia at the weekend. All is well on board and they are still enjoying themselves. I had asked her about social distancing on the coach ride home and she said they may not all disembark on the 12th but may take a few days to be allowed off. Not sure what arrangements have been made so far about this but I am sure she will let me know once they have an idea. She said she would be happy to stay on board till all the virus problems have passed!

Given that the passengers on Arcadia are not showing symptoms, they have essentially been isolating as a big group. Social distancing between passengers wont be necessary at the point they get off the ship. It will only be necessary once they go to mix with individuals who have been on land and may be carrying the virus.

If P&O arrange for the terminal staff to all have PPE, the passengers should be able to get to their coaches, cars and taxi's etc without issue. The restriction here is that terminal staff may be in short supply.

I've had a chat with my brother and sister in law this morning.  They are sitting 'looking' at Tenerife and enjoying the sunshine from their balcony.

They have a slightly different story to the one Ukulele girl gave and expect everyone to get off on Sunday with the exception of the Australians/Kiwis who have flights on Monday and they can spend an extra night on board.  It has been said that disembarkation will take longer than normal.

Other than that they are still enjoying themselves, they are definitely ready for their feet to touch dry land!  I echo what has been said previously that they are in a bubble and things will be worse than they think - if you think about it we all got used to everything changing over few days and they are going to walk straight into it. 

Thanks to everyone who gave updates - I loved hearing news from Arcadia on this World Cruise that wasn't!

• Like 1

Wow is she still not home! I’d like to read the reviews of these cruisers. 

I agree with others, they could be in for a bit of a shock. As I said in another post I missing popping in and our quickly of shops getting one or two bits in each one! I also feel I have to justify in my head ‘is this essential’?!

I had a lovely long chat with my sister this morning. She says the Captain is wonderful and has kept them cheerful during various difficulties including waiting for 5 days at Durban. They do have the BBC world news and Sky News so they are up to date with what is going on here but of course they are essentially on 'holiday' and as it would be with most of us we wouldn't choose to sit and watch the news very often on a cruise.

My sister and her husband will disembark at 8.00 on Sunday morning and will go through immigration before collecting their luggage, then onto the coach and away. The only worry will be the coach driver and the coach but as the whole ship is clear then they shouldn't need to do too much about distancing themselves from each other.

She is dreading the return to life here as she knows it is going to be difficult and they have had a great time. They were talking to friends on board about the wonderful places they have been to, some of which they didn't expect to get to. Some passengers have already booked for the Sydney onward part of the world cruise next year to complete the itinerary they missed this time.

Staff on board have been excellent and FCC has been very generous for them all. Despite this of course some passengers have been moaning - there's always some.

As said, their cruise reviews will make interesting reading and I hope they aren't too critical considering the circumstances.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Ukulele girl said:

I had a lovely long chat with my sister this morning. She says the Captain is wonderful and has kept them cheerful during various difficulties including waiting for 5 days at Durban. They do have the BBC world news and Sky News so they are up to date with what is going on here but of course they are essentially on 'holiday' and as it would be with most of us we wouldn't choose to sit and watch the news very often on a cruise.

My sister and her husband will disembark at 8.00 on Sunday morning and will go through immigration before collecting their luggage, then onto the coach and away. The only worry will be the coach driver and the coach but as the whole ship is clear then they shouldn't need to do too much about distancing themselves from each other.

She is dreading the return to life here as she knows it is going to be difficult and they have had a great time. They were talking to friends on board about the wonderful places they have been to, some of which they didn't expect to get to. Some passengers have already booked for the Sydney onward part of the world cruise next year to complete the itinerary they missed this time.

Staff on board have been excellent and FCC has been very generous for them all. Despite this of course some passengers have been moaning - there's always some.

As said, their cruise reviews will make interesting reading and I hope they aren't too critical considering the circumstances.

You just reminded me - my brother also said he wanted to see some 'proper' news.  Like  you said they have Sky News and BBC World News but its not the same.  We did a long cruise in January /February and we got fed up of the crappy telly - if I ever see Tipping Point again I'll scream!!  Although as you say you're not on holiday to watch TV all the time.

I too hope that P & O don't get slated when people start writing their reviews.  Considering all the circumstances I think they have done a great job. 

• Like 1

Safe journey on the final leg home of my favourite P&O ship - and her passengers and crew.  I can't imagine how strange, and strained at times, it's been for everyone or the uncertainty of what they're actually coming home to, whilst still trying to enjoy the last few days of their holiday.

I will be breathing a sigh of relief when both Arcadia and Queen Mary 2 are home in Southampton.  

• Like 1

Well what do you make of this?  My husband showed me a copy of a P&O booking confirmation today that he had seen on another forum page.  It was for Arcadia - 12th April, embarkation at Southampton - 13th April, arrive Dover early am depart late afternoon (or could of been early evening) - 14th April, arrive Liverpool.  It looked like a genuine booking confirmation that I have seen numerous times before.  I admit to checking the calendar to see if it was April 1st!

If it is genuine I can only think they could be 'dropping people off' nearer to home if coaches aren't available?

Has anyone else seen this?

6 minutes ago, Waju said:

Well what do you make of this?  My husband showed me a copy of a P&O booking confirmation today that he had seen on another forum page.  It was for Arcadia - 12th April, embarkation at Southampton - 13th April, arrive Dover early am depart late afternoon (or could of been early evening) - 14th April, arrive Liverpool.  It looked like a genuine booking confirmation that I have seen numerous times before.  I admit to checking the calendar to see if it was April 1st!

If it is genuine I can only think they could be 'dropping people off' nearer to home if coaches aren't available?

Not seen it, but she could be doing the journey to dock in Liverpool, but I doubt they will be selling tickets... 

Andy 

3 hours ago, Waju said:

Arcadia is due in Southampton until 6pm on Tuesday when she will travel for Dover to lay-up.

Dover - Liverpool overnight wouldn’t be possible by ship!

18 minutes ago, Waju said:

Fingers crossed I've attached the booking confirmation I spoke about earlier

untitled.png

Well, I should be getting on Arcadia on Sunday, to go to the Canaries.  Perhaps I should turn up and see where I get to!

Personally, I think it is just another example of the debacle that is the P&O IT department.  An absolute disgrace. 

Why P&O haven't reorganised their entire IT department is beyond me.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, I should be getting on Arcadia on Sunday, to go to the Canaries.  Perhaps I should turn up and see where I get to!

Personally, I think it is just another example of the debacle that is the P&O IT department.  An absolute disgrace. 

Why P&O haven't reorganised their entire IT department is beyond me.

Please don't be mean to P&O.  I'm sure they're doing their best at this difficult time.  They've never been anything but brilliant with us and we can't wait to take another cruise 🙂

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Waju said:

Please don't be mean to P&O.  I'm sure they're doing their best at this difficult time.  They've never been anything but brilliant with us and we can't wait to take another cruise 🙂

7 minutes ago, Waju said:

Not being mean - their customer interface has always been lacking, and currently they are performing terribly. 

I've just received a refund for a Travelodge booking . No iff's or buts, no forms to fill in,  just a straight repayment to my cc. If P&O did that, I wouldn't be "mean " to them.

(Although personally,  the concept of an individual being mean to a multi billion corporation is beyond me!)

11 hours ago, Trevor33 said:

Do you think she could be being used as a hospital ship somewhere its needed in the UK as probably wont be sailing for next few months?

Thanks to the absolutely incredible efforts to get the ‘Nightingale’ hospitals up and running in unbelievably quick time, the NHS is thankfully keeping ahead of current demand and it looks as though options such as that might not need to be considered. This will be a relief as a cruise ship would really be totally inappropriate as a hospital ship, certainly for those requiring care for Covid-19. I can’t even wheel my wife’s wheelchair into 99% of cruise ship cabins, let alone a hospital bed!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Thanks to the absolutely incredible efforts to get the ‘Nightingale’ hospitals up and running in unbelievably quick time, the NHS is thankfully keeping ahead of current demand and it looks as though options such as that might not need to be considered. This will be a relief as a cruise ship would really be totally inappropriate as a hospital ship, certainly for those requiring care for Covid-19. I can’t even wheel my wife’s wheelchair into 99% of cruise ship cabins, let alone a hospital bed!

There are too many limitations that would require too many alterations.. 

Possibly convalescing, but not mainline hospitals. 

Carpeted rooms for a start are a no no as well as access etc. 

That's why these big open places like the NEC are ideal, wards are created quickly with new flooring and partitions flying in. 

Andy 

The Arcadia was due to lay up in Dover  with Aurora after Southampton arrival on April 12th so its perfectly reasonable that she could be doing the Dover/Liverpool drop off due to lack of public transport available.

Edited by Pennbank
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Waju said:

Fingers crossed I've attached the booking confirmation I spoke about earlier

untitled.png

I assume this is just a clever mock up that someone has done, I don't have the patience or expertise to do this myself, but I have several young relatives who I am sure could do this in a few minutes.

26 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I assume this is just a clever mock up that someone has done, I don't have the patience or expertise to do this myself, but I have several young relatives who I am sure could do this in a few minutes.

It looks real enough to me, how do I book... 😊

Andy