Arcadia world cruise - more possible itinerary changes.

Ukulele girl

1 minute ago, trinity126 said:

They have just been told tonight that they will be social distancing as from tomorrow, seems very strange when they have been at sea for so long. 

That doesn’t sound good. What is your source for that information?

12 minutes ago, trinity126 said:

They have just been told tonight that they will be social distancing as from tomorrow, seems very strange when they have been at sea for so long. 

Everyone on tables for two in the MDR?  Wow, I wouldn't like to calculate how many sittings that would take 🙄

Seriously though, I hope someone hasn't got the virus, and that it doesn't turn into cabin confinement for everyone.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Les_ldh said:

That doesn’t sound good. What is your source for that information?

mother in law is on the ship and just told us, I wonder if someone is ill with symptoms but maybe they don’t have test facilities.  It is 8 days since they left I think 🤔 

On 3/11/2020 at 11:06 PM, Tommart said:

827 Covid-19 deaths in Italy alone since 21 February, and a lot more to come.  I wonder how sentiment's going to change when we reach that point, perhaps over the next 6 weeks.  This is not overreaction - it's a serious problem for the country.

Its clearly been announced though that ALL the deaths in Itsly also had 3 other illnesses already 

11 minutes ago, phillipahain said:

Its clearly been announced though that ALL the deaths in Itsly also had 3 other illnesses already 

That has very little significance - that's not at all an unusual situation for the elderly, many or most of whom will have other conditions.  It's exactly the same in the US and the UK. 

The point is that these patients would and could have been given intensive care for the lung and other problems (though perhaps not in the UK because of the lack of ICU beds) in 'normal' times.  Coronavirus is creating so many cases that it's swamping health systems.  Italy hasn't coped, and neither has Spain.  Neither will the UK and neither will the US.  The US has come to this very late in the day, because a certain person denied that it was a problem - so it may well be worse there than anywhere else.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wowzz said:

Supposedly,  once the pax are off the ship, Arcadia is off to Dover. And P&O still won't admit the cruise starting on April 12th is cancelled!

No one is getting off in South Africa - this is copied from the P&O website (further down the page that says cruises are cancelled until 11th April).  It was there when I wrote my last post) :-

"Arcadia itinerary update

The South African authorities have announced and are enforcing additional entry and travel restrictions because of the Coronavirus COVID-19 pandemic. Guests or crew are no longer permitted to disembark in South Africa.

As a result of this development, Arcadia will no longer visit Cape Town. The ship will make a short technical stop in Durban on Sunday 22 March for fuel, stores and medication before returning to Southampton. All guests are remaining on board until Southampton, where Arcadia is due to arrive on Sunday 12 April as per the original itinerary."

Passengers have eventually returned from Braemar as Cuba kindly let them disembark there after negotiations.  They had 5 confirmed coronavirus cases and some more who were ill by that time (I think it was about 55 all told, with approx equal numbers of crew and passengers).  The ill people and direct contacts were flown back to an MOD base, and the rest on three BA flights to Heathrow.  Some people who were not considered well enough to fly remained in Cuba with medical care (no idea how many that was).  Fred was working with the government/public health England and the FOC who sent a couple of staff out to assist with procedures.  The ill people were confine to cabins, but others allowed to remain in the public areas if they wished, but with some restrictions.  For instance they were operating open dining so people could sit further apart.  Entertainment shown on TV, but bars remained open.  The people who were not ill were not even asked to self isolate when they returned - but that conforms with current advice here as only contacts to isolate are people in the same household.

Presumably if there are suspect cases on Arcadia, they will likely also be under advice of Public Health England  with UK Government/FOC involved in any negotiation with S Africa or any other countries they can to arrange disembarkation from the ship.  Fred was able to get some samples taken and tested when docked in Curacao, though no one could disembark.  I wonder if South Africa would at least allow testing.

Fred was very good at giving regular updates about what was happening via links on his website that anyone could access as well as keeping the passengers informed.  P&O would be silly not to give information as lack of information could cause a lot more concern/rumours spreading around.  Fred's news reports have gone now they are back though.   

Edited by tring

My sister is on Arcadia and has been since the start of the world cruise. She rang me today and it was good to hear her voice. She said they were all well and enjoying themselves. She did mention social distancing but said it was to get them used to it - not sure I believe that but she didn't sound worried. It was clear that she wasn't aware of the gravity of the situation here and it will certainly be a shock when they return. She said they had been given extra on board credit for the remainder of the cruise. She also said they had booked three more cruises so the problems haven't put them off. I did suggest she didn't book a cruise until at least October/November as  the virus is likely to cause problems for a very long time, I think this surprised her. I must say I will be glad when she is safe back.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the updates Ukuele girl, Tringm Trinity 126 and others.   So no pax off the ship from Fremantle to Southampton 12 April ?   How many sea days is that? - got to be about 4 weeks, some journey with no feet on land.   12 April is the original arrival date when we were continuing on that with B2B Canaries then a few weeks touring England by car.    As has been said the Arcadia pax are in for a shock when they arrive in Southampton and home with supermarket shortages and restrictions generally, a new way of life. Same here.    I doubt many Aussies are on board now.

Hence my interest in this thread.  God bless all on board, pax and crew.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

I’m not sure how they are going to get home from Southampton will trains still be running by then? suggested I book a hotel for her but then she said she is not sure if they will dock Southampton or a different UK port due to other ships being in that where not meant to be.  Shall see what happens in coming weeks but may book something with flexible cancellation terms 

My sister will travel home by coach and I assume this will still be running. I agree with Son of Anarchy, it has been a safe place to be in these difficult times.  It is possible that hotels will be closed so I hope people will be able to get home after such a long trip. 

She has just messaged to let us know this,  also this morning all sun Beds 1 meter apart same at dining etc all sounds a bit strange when they are still saying virus not on board ship.  Wonder if they are waiting testing. 

Not having a great return journey.  Unique, but not good.  Previously I was a bit blasé about Arcadia's situation, mainly because we really like sea days the constant changes had an air of adventure about them.  But when things like this start happening I'm sure life onboard starts to become increasingly frustrating.

I'm sure the crew will rise to the occasion and do their utmost to ensure every safety, comfort and sanity.

Hope all goes well and everyone has a safe and comfortable return to the UK.

• Like 1

Braemar was able to get medical supplies and other needs + extra medical staff on to the ship (when off the coast of the Bahamas) by boat transfer and possibly some by air lift.  They were wanting to re fuel, but I did not see confirmation that happened and no amount of negotiations allowed them to land to fly home from the Bahamas.  Even took a day or so to be cleared to load the stuff, even with the FOC, UK gov involved and I expect they will be involved with P&O at this stage.  As I said earlier Cuba eventually let Braemar dock but discussions were also had with the US and it seems 'no go' at all there (so much for a close relationship).

Things are closing down so much in the world now and all countries wary, so there is not even a need for a ship to have any illness on board at all to be refused access.  If there is anyone with symptoms they want to test, will presumably make it worse.  All a case of looking after yourself now, from government level to people stripping the supermarket shelves.  I wonder how society will change in the future.

I do hope the passengers and crew on Arcadia are OK.

On 3/21/2020 at 11:38 PM, trinity126 said:

I’m not sure how they are going to get home from Southampton will trains still be running by then? suggested I book a hotel for her but then she said she is not sure if they will dock Southampton or a different UK port due to other ships being in that where not meant to be.  Shall see what happens in coming weeks but may book something with flexible cancellation terms 

Re cancelling hotels, Premier Inn has changed their policy for non flex bookings in existence up to 31 May,  offering amendments or refunds. Have a look at their site.  

As a off topic comment, all pubs, clubs, restaurants, cafes, gyms, cinemas, theatres etc now closed in Australia, until further notice.  We are trying to minimize the spread.  Some States have closed schools, my State, New South Wales has not.

Edited by NSWP

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

If and when Arcadia returns to the UK, the pax  are likely to be sent to isolation  units immediately on their return.

I wonder if they know that? 

Could be a miserable trip back to the UK.

A month at sea, they will have good sun tans, hope the G&T supply lasts, or they might have to arrange an air drop from the RAF.