Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

I haven't booked yet. We have had two holidays cancelled for May. The first we booked in early 2019 to China, full refund sent in early March. The second booked straight after was cancelled to Italy, lost deposit but should get money back via insurance. We were waiting for the new policy before deciding on boking a cruise in May as we really need to have a break. I understand why P&O are not giving the new cancellation policy for new bookings, but equally I can't take a chance on booking and losing all my money. As we are retired I think I will need to wait until a week before the cruise and book very last minute - I expect there will be spaces then. Only small issue is booking  the cat in  to the catery last minute!!

It should have been classed a pandemic earlier than this. The chappie that's head of WHO doesn't inspire me with much confidence. He spent the first month of the epidemic praising the Chinese for how well they were handling it. When in fact it was hushed up until they couldn't hide it any longer.

Avril 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, madmacs said:

I haven't booked yet. We have had two holidays cancelled for May. The first we booked in early 2019 to China, full refund sent in early March. The second booked straight after was cancelled to Italy, lost deposit but should get money back via insurance. We were waiting for the new policy before deciding on boking a cruise in May as we really need to have a break. I understand why P&O are not giving the new cancellation policy for new bookings, but equally I can't take a chance on booking and losing all my money. As we are retired I think I will need to wait until a week before the cruise and book very last minute - I expect there will be spaces then. Only small issue is booking  the cat in  to the catery last minute!!

I am under the impression that the new cancellation policy does also cover new bookings.

5 hours ago, Heatherlea10 said:

I'm hoping that's the case as we only have the occasional drink onboard and usually book shore excursions beforehand as the popular ones sell out before boarding.

I suspect there will be vacancies on previously sold out excursions.  I cancelled two last week pending cancelling the whole cruise. The bigger danger may be some excursions being cancelled altogether.

My apologies if this has been answered previously, but what is the current position regarding Oceana cruises out of Malta?  No cruise ships allowed to dock there, Italian ports shut down. Where are P&O going to send her?

Just thinking that there may be a chance to use my FCC on a last minute cruise.

I've had a similar email relating to our January 2021 cruise, stating that I can use my deposit to transfer to any other cruuse, at no cost, as long as it is done by the end of August. What is unclear is if the cruise fare can be of a lower value than the one we have booked,  which previously was not possible. 

Anyone have any ideas - I don't want to burden my TA on what must be a horrendous day for them! 

8 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

I have received that email about 30 minutes ago.

2 minutes ago, wowzz said:

My apologies if this has been answered previously, but what is the current position regarding Oceana cruises out of Malta?  No cruise ships allowed to dock there, Italian ports shut down. Where are P&O going to send her?

Just thinking that there may be a chance to use my FCC on a last minute cruise.

Malta are currently banning anyone from Italy, France, Germany, Spain and Switzerland if the article below is to be believed, published 2 hours ago. So a cruise from Southampton would have to go there avoiding all of the above places.

Add to that the fact that Greece have closed schools, university’s and many major historical sites and where to go an what to see?

“VALLETTA (Reuters) - Malta on Wednesday banned travel with Germany, France, Spain and Switzerland to try to prevent the spread of the coronavirus, Prime Minister Robert Abela said.”

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I haven't had either email yet, but our friend who cruises with us has had 2.  We are cancelling our cruise next month and taking the FCC.  Feel quite relieved.

Good luck getting through on the phone. We have tried countless times today and get a message that they are busy then it just cuts you off.

9 hours ago, staygulf said:

It means exactly what it says. You get a mix of refund and FCC depending on how far out you are from sail date. 

Thanks, was in a rush this morning and half way out of the door so did not have the time to read it properly.

Good news for family who have already paid their balance.

Have to say that I think the new changes by P&O are fair. I do think that a lot of thought has gone in to it !

Must admit, every time I start to chunter I look at what is happening in Italy. My heart goes out to them and any family they have in the UK

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I haven't had either email yet, but our friend who cruises with us has had 2.  We are cancelling our cruise next month and taking the FCC.  Feel quite relieved.

We got both emails in the promotion's section of Gmail.

We are going to take our extra £400obc to go with our £360select obc.

We have non refundable flights,hotels and train seats so unless anything unexpected happens we are going cruising.

• Like 1