Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

13 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

This is a quote from the P&O website, I wonder what their response will be?

We understand if this situation has led you to think about cancelling your upcoming cruise. Simply call us on 03453 555 111 (local call charges apply) and we can discuss your options. If you booked with a travel agent, they will be able to help.

I spoke to them yesterday. If you have not paid your balance, they are really helpful, but once balance is paid, all you get from them is 'refer to terms & conditions' and refer to 'usual cancellation policy'. If anything changes, you will be notified... 

Andy 

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I spoke to them yesterday. If you have not paid your balance, they are really helpful, but once balance is paid, all you get from them is 'refer to terms & conditions' and refer to 'usual cancellation policy'. If anything changes, you will be notified... 

Andy 

Mmmmm….all down to timing as when best to cancel. Do we cancel now and lose 60% or leave it a few weeks and then risk 75% if they don't allow us to change or have a refund. 😕

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

It will be interesting to see what the government does in the next week or so. When the going gets tough, the tough get going. If P&O cut it’s loyal customers adrift on this, I think they will pay the price in the long run. Anyone who wishes to cancel irrespective of whether it’s final balance or not, should be allowed to do so. This is potentially a life threatening situation and P&O do not appear to be responding to this.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....yes I too am having a problem accessing CC with Chrome on my computer...as you say there is an overlay on the screen. No problem when I use Edge although it is rather slower to load  when using Edge 

The technology is against us as well as the viruses!

I’ve got the overlay using Safari on my iPad.  Unusable.  Chrome is fine.  Weird, Eh?

I do feel for anyone with difficult decisions to make, especially as it seems that the situation will become clear within a few weeks.  The balance is due on our 7 night Iona cruise in the middle of next month.  If it was due today I would forfeit the deposit of £85 without a second thought, just to lose weeks of worry.

Looks like we should all book on board in future - losing £50pp deposit for every forfeited cruise is nowhere near as painful as 15 or 20%.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eddie11 said:

The technology is against us as well as the viruses!

I’ve got the overlay using Safari on my iPad.  Unusable.  Chrome is fine.  Weird, Eh?

I had this problem yesterday - we managed to solve it by clearing history and cookies and now CC is working normally via Safari on my iPad.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Mmmmm….all down to timing as when best to cancel. Do we cancel now and lose 60% or leave it a few weeks and then risk 75% if they don't allow us to change or have a refund. 😕

For us, what we would get back is not a great deal, so will just see how it all unfolds. 

My opinion changes daily, I haven't got a clue what is best to do, but I would be gutted if I cancelled and lost 60%, only for the cruise to get cancelled and everybody else got full refunds... 

I just feel something has to give if things continue to deteriorate... 

Andy 

• Like 3

Agree with you andy.  it's becoming a bit worrying.  My friend who traves with us has just had severe bronchitis and is still not right.  She, perhaps, has a slight advantage in that if she feels unable to go, she can cancel with a doctors letter to say she is not well enough.  We can't do that.  Something's gotta give.

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Not sure what is meant by losing 75%, don't you lose the whole lot if you are fully paid up and then cancel?

No, you get an amount refunded on a sliding scale.

Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises Cancellation Charges (% of price)
56 to 42 days 60%
41 to 16 days 75%
15 to 6 days 90%

Less than 6 days before departure or failure to embark. For fly cruises, departure day is the date of the flight departure.

Edit:  Wonder what you get between 57-89  days?

100%
Edited by davemorton

35 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Looking at the T&Cs are you not to late for a transfer Janny ??  Unless you are booked end of May onwards ?

P&O Select Fare and Early Saver:
Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises    Cancellation Charges (% of price)
From date of booking until 91 days before departure    Loss of Deposit
90 to 57 days    50%
56 to 42 days    60%
41 to 16 days    75%
15 to 6 days    90%
Less than 6 days before departure or failure to embark. For fly cruises, departure day is the date of the flight departure.    100%

Requirements to transfer your booking:
We will only allow a booking to be transferred once
The new booking must be of a higher value (before fuel surcharges)
Bookings must be outside of balance due period - 90 days prior to departure.
The new booking must sail within - 6 months of the original sailing date for full world cruises including liners and sectors, 12 months of the original departure date for all other cruises.
Any discount or promotion applicable to the original booking may not apply to the new booking, in which case the passenger shall be required to pay any difference in price.
Bookings after the balance due date: Transfers are not permitted and the booking will be cancelled at the appropriate cancellation charges as per section 38 of our booking conditions.
Late Saver and other promotional fares (excluding Nett rates) cannot be transferred 

16 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Agree with you andy.  it's becoming a bit worrying.  My friend who traves with us has just had severe bronchitis and is still not right.  She, perhaps, has a slight advantage in that if she feels unable to go, she can cancel with a doctors letter to say she is not well enough.  We can't do that.  Something's gotta give.

Oh bless. 

I wish your friend well, health is more important Jean. 

Andy 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Looking at the T&Cs are you not to late for a transfer Janny ??  Unless you are booked end of May onwards ?

P&O Select Fare and Early Saver:
Period before departure within which notice of cancellation is received by P&O Cruises    Cancellation Charges (% of price)
From date of booking until 91 days before departure    Loss of Deposit
90 to 57 days    50%
56 to 42 days    60%
41 to 16 days    75%
15 to 6 days    90%
Less than 6 days before departure or failure to embark. For fly cruises, departure day is the date of the flight departure.    100%

Requirements to transfer your booking:
We will only allow a booking to be transferred once
The new booking must be of a higher value (before fuel surcharges)
Bookings must be outside of balance due period - 90 days prior to departure.
The new booking must sail within - 6 months of the original sailing date for full world cruises including liners and sectors, 12 months of the original departure date for all other cruises.
Any discount or promotion applicable to the original booking may not apply to the new booking, in which case the passenger shall be required to pay any difference in price.
Bookings after the balance due date: Transfers are not permitted and the booking will be cancelled at the appropriate cancellation charges as per section 38 of our booking conditions.
Late Saver and other promotional fares (excluding Nett rates) cannot be transferred 

I think we are all hoping P&O will be forced to do something.. 

Wishful thinking I know... 

Andy 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Not sure what is meant by losing 75%, don't you lose the whole lot if you are fully paid up and then cancel?

Jean,

How much you lose if fully paid up is on a sliding scale.   100% if you cancel at the last minute and slight less if you cancel with weeks to go.

Christine

• Like 1

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

I think we are all hoping P&O will be forced to do something.. 

Wishful thinking I know... 

Andy 

Believe me Andy ,my fingers are crossed for each and every one of you on here , worrying times matey .

• Like 1

Just now, jeanlyon said:

Andy, not sure what P&O can do really.  they can't just cancel all their cruises and give refunds

I know Jean, but health officials are talking about banning public gatherings, some countries have already done this, cruises must come under that criteria.

Can't help things are going to get much worse before they get better... 

Andy 

• Like 1

I too am changing my opinion daily.  This morning, I am thinking ‘wait and see what happens’. If the virus continues to spread quickly, you may just as well catch it in this country anyway.  I live in the Channel Islands so at least we have 100 miles of water between us.  

3 minutes ago, kalos said:

Believe me Andy ,my fingers are crossed for each and every one of you on here , worrying times matey .

Thank you Kalos. 

I'm not sure how worried I am personally, (unlike Michelle), if we can't go, we can't go. If we lose money, we lose money, it is just the uncertainty really. 

Andy 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

I too am changing my opinion daily.  This morning, I am thinking ‘wait and see what happens’. If the virus continues to spread quickly, you may just as well catch it in this country anyway.  I live in the Channel Islands so at least we have 100 miles of water between us.  

Don't worry, we will bring it over on a booze cruise... 😊

Andy 

• Haha 1