Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

Just now, Vampiress88 said:

Yes we guessed that. 

What at do you think they will do about Tenerife? 

Dont want to just float around on a boat for two weeks

I'm sure they will still sort something out, different ports if the once on the itinerary are not possible.  Sure you will all still have a great time.  

21 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

No he has said he hopes they will just refund us. I think he’s crazy. 

He says the virus will get worse before it gets better. His immune system is great. The kids are so so and mine is shocking. 

Hes more worried about the itinerary changing as we booked it specifically for Tenerife and there are a lot of ports that we have been to that we wouldn’t want to repeat. 

Hed rather have the £2.5k back. I think that it would drive me crazy to cancel a holiday and we’d not get a deal like that again. 

He may be right, but P&O are very unlikely to refund.

Take a look at my posts 44 and 46 above though. In your particular situation you might be able to claim on your insurance,  but do nothing until you've spoken to them. 

2 minutes ago, davemorton said:

I'm sure they will still sort something out, different ports if the once on the itinerary are not possible.  Sure you will all still have a great time.  

Any idea what different ports?

i hope it wouldn’t come to it as I really want my holiday but I would be cross at changes. Even though it’s not really p&o fault but I booked for canaries. If it doesn’t go there then I will get a bit cross. 

2 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

He may be right, but P&O are very unlikely to refund.

Take a look at my posts 44 and 46 above though. In your particular situation you might be able to claim on your insurance,  but do nothing until you've spoken to them. 

Spoke to insurance. We are covered if the say we not allowed to travel. 

Do do I need to ask something cruise specific. I can email them to get answers but I don’t know what questions to ask

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Spoke to insurance. We are covered if the say we not allowed to travel. 

Do do I need to ask something cruise specific. I can email them to get answers but I don’t know what questions to ask

May or may not work (check the links I gave for details) but you need to be able to persuade the insurer that they're likely to be better off paying you to cancel than risking a substantially larger cost if you go.

That depends on how they view the risks of the particular cruise, and how that might impact on your own particular health issues.  It's a difficult balancing act and they'd probably need to talk to one of their underwriters. 

11 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Any idea what different ports?

i hope it wouldn’t come to it as I really want my holiday but I would be cross at changes. Even though it’s not really p&o fault but I booked for canaries. If it doesn’t go there then I will get a bit cross. 

If there's a significant change to the itinerary there are circumstances in which you could claim compensation.  What's significant though is arguable.

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

No he has said he hopes they will just refund us. I think he’s crazy. 

He says the virus will get worse before it gets better. His immune system is great. The kids are so so and mine is shocking. 

Hes more worried about the itinerary changing as we booked it specifically for Tenerife and there are a lot of ports that we have been to that we wouldn’t want to repeat. 

Hed rather have the £2.5k back. I think that it would drive me crazy to cancel a holiday and we’d not get a deal like that again. 

I doubt you would get your insurer or P&O to give you your money back, unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I doubt you would get your insurer or P&O to give you your money back, unfortunately.

I think so too. Always good to know the options though. As much as I like cruise 3 sea days in enough and I really want ports I want to visit. 

Stupid virus ruining all my fun. Hoping it won’t affect my Florida holiday too. 

9 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

I think so too. Always good to know the options though. As much as I like cruise 3 sea days in enough and I really want ports I want to visit. 

Stupid virus ruining all my fun. Hoping it won’t affect my Florida holiday too. 

I do not claim to be an expert on this, but I have seen a few interviews on TV with people who are. According to them, if you cancel due to your concerns about what MIGHT happen, whether that be catching the virus, potential for quarantine or alteration to itinerary, then you are NOT covered by your insurance and the travel operator is not obliged to refund beyond their stated cancellation structures. The key thing is if and when the government issues advice not to travel to or from a specific country. Then you are covered. In the case of a cruise, P&O has made it clear that they will alter itineraries to avoid problematic areas. I guess this would be seen as a sensible and reasonable adjustment given the circumstances, so a claim MIGHT be possible, but I very much doubt is guaranteed. It’s also important to realise that P&O is still sailing in and out of countries with known cases of Coronavirus. The UK is one of them!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I do not claim to be an expert on this, but I have seen a few interviews on TV with people who are. According to them, if you cancel due to your concerns about what MIGHT happen, whether that be catching the virus, potential for quarantine or alteration to itinerary, then you are NOT covered by your insurance and the travel operator is not obliged to refund beyond their stated cancellation structures. The key thing is if and when the government issues advice not to travel to or from a specific country. Then you are covered. In the case of a cruise, P&O has made it clear that they will alter itineraries to avoid problematic areas. I guess this would be seen as a sensible and reasonable adjustment given the circumstances, so a claim MIGHT be possible, but I very much doubt is guaranteed. It’s also important to realise that P&O is still sailing in and out of countries with known cases of Coronavirus. The UK is one of them!

Well put Selborne, thank you. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Its really sad to hear. Hope you wil go on another tour even if its within the country. But once again let me tell you this - nowhere is really safe. Just keep in mind to wash your hands after toilet and avoid crowded places (concerts, festival and etc) If you decided to go on a tour or cruise, make sure you avoid visiting the "infected" countries

21 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Yes I understand that and I understand it from p&o point too. I don’t want to cancel my cruise. Hubby does but I’d rather go on holiday. 

He is worried about itinerary change in not so much. 

What worrys me is this medical screening. Like Andy says what if he’s ok but Michelle’s not so they say we’ll only Andy can go. Same with us. What if I am told no but my family is ok. I’m not sure they would want to go without me and I can see how you could claim if you are turned away at the port?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

Yes I understand that and I understand it from p&o point too. I don’t want to cancel my cruise. Hubby does but I’d rather go on holiday. 

What worrys me is this medical screening. Like Andy says what if he’s ok but Michelle’s not so they say we’ll only Andy can go. Same with us. What if I am told no but my family is ok. I’m not sure they would want to go without me and I can see how you could claim if you are turned away at the port?

As I just commented on another thread, surely you would be able to claim a full refund from your travel insurer, this is the sort of thing insurance should cover. 

7 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

As I just commented on another thread, surely you would be able to claim a full refund from your travel insurer, this is the sort of thing insurance should cover. 

Yes, but only for the affected person. 

This was one of the things on Rip off Britain where a woman was refused boarding but her husband and child were OK to travel, so no payout for them. 

Andy 

3 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Yes, but only for the affected person. 

This was one of the things on Rip off Britain where a woman was refused boarding but her husband and child were OK to travel, so no payout for them. 

Andy 

Andy, most insurance policies will cover illness of a close relative, even when all parties on the policy are fit to travel, so why should this be any different.

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Andy, most insurance policies will cover illness of a close relative, even when all parties on the policy are fit to travel, so why should this be any different.

Sorry John, of course you are right, I just slipped into panic mode like everybody else...😊

The Rip off Britain case was a pregnant lady, so completely different circumstances. 

Andy 

31 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

What if I am told no but my family is ok. I’m not sure they would want to go without me and I can see how you could claim if you are turned away at the port?

Having recently just gone through cancelling  our cruise,I  can tell you they would not split you up.

I could not travel and the insurance company gave me a form for my doctor to fill in .

They did not say Mrs Kalos should travel as she was fit to do so without me.

Should a child fall ill at home and was medically unfit to travel again they would not expect mum & dad to leave the child at home and go on holiday. 

The only time you would be expected to travel is if a family member decides they do not want to go, no insurance company would pay out for that .

Try to relax and go enjoy your holiday , if hubby does not want to go remember to send him a post card from  you and 

the kids .😉

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Sorry John, of course you are right, I just slipped into panic mode like everybody else...😊

The Rip off Britain case was a pregnant lady, so completely different circumstances. 

Andy 

Chill out Andy your going  😊

Club down road from us have just cancelled an appearance by a local Frank Sinatra tribute act as he has crooner virus.😊😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

This is where I struggle. 

I have tried to read all 44 pages of my insurance but I can’t make head nor tail of it. 

Would this his be under cancellation or catastrophe?

8785DDDB-64EA-4F94-8C33-5637A03A1429.thumb.jpeg.e4b3b00c7aa52a47bdb5c4514b6ee481.jpegDDF54399-6426-4BAF-9140-888D43783CCE.thumb.jpeg.60c0f241abc71d403cbeb0a6e4ccd32e.jpeg

see if if it’s cancellation we have £5k but if it’s catastrophe it’s only £1k 

why cant these things be easy. 

Im probably worrying over nothing but it scares me to think it’s possible to lose all that money if we are refused to board and it turned out it was only a cold!

16 hours ago, Vampiress88 said:

Husband has just said he wants to cancel ours 😒

we we have paid the full amount. He isn’t worried about the virus but that we specifically wanted the canaries and won’t be happy if we change to somewhere else. The email we have just received hasn’t helped. I know it’s the greater good but we don’t particularly want medical tests 

I thought the outbreak in Tenerife was only connected to the H10 hotel. Of course things are changing rapidly and this could change.

On the bright side China are now returning to normal approx. 5-6 weeks. So who knows.

As you're unlikely to get your money back if you cancelled may as well wait and see what happens.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Vampiress88 said:

If you or any of your party are refused boarding by a Doctor (which you would be by the ships Dr if that were to happen) then, as others have said, your insurance would cover you. The problem you have is that your husband would prefer not to go due to ‘what if’ scenarios. No insurer will ever cover you for that I’m afraid. You are reliant on cancellation charges only. If you cannot get any money back and have paid the full fare, I would leave it for now and see what happens. You have nothing to lose and it seems foolish to me to do anything else as you are throwing money away for no reason. Another option (which I presume you have considered) is to transfer your booking to another cruise 12 months later when this has all hopefully died down. There used to be a charge for doing this (which I have always managed to get waived) but I understand that there is no charge to do that now. Has to be a cruise of the same or greater value and within 12 months of the original cruise (unless it’s changed). 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Another option (which I presume you have considered) is to transfer your booking to another cruise 12 months later when this has all hopefully died down. There used to be a charge for doing this (which I have always managed to get waived) but I understand that there is no charge to do that now. Has to be a cruise of the same or greater value and within 12 months of the original cruise (unless it’s changed). 

Can you do that after final balance has been paid? 

Andy 

15 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Can you do that after final balance has been paid? 

Andy 

TBH I don’t know Andy. It’s been some time since I did it and the T’s and C’s appear to have changed since then. What I do know, however, is that there is a degree of discretion, but I book direct with P&O as I have used the same person there for years who looks after me very well. May not be the same with a TA. Worth asking though I would have thought. 

Edited by Selbourne

2 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

TBH I don’t know Andy. It’s been some time since I did it and the T’s and C’s appear to have changed since then. What I do know, however, is that there is a degree of discretion, but I book direct with P&O as I have used the same person there for years who looks after me very well. May not be the same with a TA. Worth asking though I would have thought. 

We are considering this on our later cruise that is not paid for, depending how it all pans out of course. 

I will try P&O later to see if it is possible to transfer after balance is paid but, in truth, I really want to go... 

Andy