Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

What are PandO going to if they do deny anyone boarding due to suspected Coronavirus?

Will those denied boarding simply return home by the mode of transport by which they arrived? 

Fine if the poor souls arrived in their own car; but as has been mentioned, what happens if they've arrived by coach?  They are now having to return home probably by train, therefore spreading the Coronavirus onto the public transport system.

Then of course there's those who travel to the terminals by train anyway.  Their journey home if going to by guess what - train as well.

And then there's those who fly to Southampton. Cab back to the airport, spread germs at airport, or train (already mentioned) then airport.

Are PandO under any obligation (legal or moral) to inform the authorities of details of those who have been denied boarding due to suspected Coronavirus?  

What about the Caribbean and Mediterranean fly cruises?  Will be screened at the airports in the UK or at destination or both?

Not so bad if denied boarding the outbound flight, pretty disastrous if denied boarding in Barbados or Valetta.

All this thinking is giving me a headache......I should have gone to Wetherspoons...……..

• Like 2

And another thing......

Our next cruise is a back to back.

Scenario: Embark ok on the first cruise.  Two weeks later, get off on turnaround day to pop into Southampton, go back to terminal - get denied boarding!

So now will have to stay onboard in Southampton on turnaround day.

I still have a bottle of Mount Gay somewhere...….

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just got through to P&O. 

After balance has been paid, you cannot transfer to a later date. 

Couldn't get much else out of them, they kept saying normal T&C's apply and to keep checking the website for updates. 

They would not confirm or deny if they would reimburse if they refused us boarding... 

Andy 

well, they weren’t very helpful were they?!

• Like 2

So p&o have this on their page. I looked and the insurance is through holiday extra. So I did a quote. £250 for our family. 

Wanted to check the wording of the policy. Had no mentions of cancel for any reason. Only abandonment of plans was if airline had failed to deliver within 24 hours. 

Id really love to know where they think we will find this insurance that allows to cancel for any reason as I cannot find it. 

Purchase travel insurance – It's always a good idea and strongly recommended that you purchase travel insurance through P&O Cruises, or some other form of travel insurance, not only to protect from any losses stemming from unforeseeable circumstances during your vacation, but to also have confidence to make new plans with "cancel for any reason" coverage.

42 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

well, they weren’t very helpful were they?!

Doesnt sound like it. They are also choosing to ignore messages I have sent them. Conveniently

looks like we risk it for a biscuit 

if if we get turned away then we will have to try and fight it. 

Would love to stop panicking about this but it’s a hell of a chunk of money to lose should the worst happen. 

Really hope someone comes back on here to enlighten us and hopefully stop my mind on overdrive 

1 hour ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Does anybody know what is happening on other cruise lines, regarding refunds and /or  cancellations?

Every cruise line is different more choices in the states so more competitive hence better compensation, more chance of being sued 

6 hours ago, ohnonotmeagain said:

Does anybody know what is happening on other cruise lines, regarding refunds and /or  cancellations?

Saga are taking a much more customer friendly approach - refunds 'of course' and travel home:

What additional checks are in place when embarking our ships?

As returning guests will know, we have always asked medical questions when checking in for our cruises, however, in light of the outbreak of Coronavirus, we have increased the number of questions asked.

The questions asked are not intrusive but will allow us to understand whether, as a precaution, we arrange for our shoreside medical team to ask to assess any guests prior to embarkation. It is vital that you answer all questions honestly.

Our shoreside medical team may request that your temperature is taken. This is done by using a hand held thermometer pointed at your body, so it is completely noninvasive.

If, following a consultation with our medical team it is advised that you are unable to embark, we will of course arrange for your travel home and provide you with a full refund.

• Like 2

I have booked. And paid in full for a cruise going to the Med. in May.  Hopeless trying to get in touch with P and O.  Obviously they are inundated with telephone calls.  I am wondering with the worsening situation if they will be forced to cancel the cruise, in which case I wonder if I will get a refund.

I’m seriously considering cancelling my cruises in May. Although I’ve paid the complete balance I should get 50% back with 79 days to go. The sounds coming out of the cruise companies do not fill us with confidence. If you do go on a cruise and become infected imho the impact on you would be catastrophic. Would you be welcomed back into your community? Would you keep your job? Would you infect your loved ones? The risks are endless, all for a 2 week cruise. I believe these are exceptional circumstances and cruise companies should give us the option to cancel at no loss.

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST

1 hour ago, Tablelamp said:

I have booked. And paid in full for a cruise going to the Med. in May.  Hopeless trying to get in touch with P and O.  Obviously they are inundated with telephone calls.  I am wondering with the worsening situation if they will be forced to cancel the cruise, in which case I wonder if I will get a refund.

If P&O are forced to cancel the cruise, you will get a refund. 

The biggest issues are you not being able to transfer/cancel if your balance is paid and currently no refund if they refuse you boarding. 

I'm hoping they will follow Saga's lead and at least clarify the 'what ifs'. 

Andy 

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Saga are taking a much more customer friendly approach - refunds 'of course' and travel home:

What additional checks are in place when embarking our ships?

As returning guests will know, we have always asked medical questions when checking in for our cruises, however, in light of the outbreak of Coronavirus, we have increased the number of questions asked.

The questions asked are not intrusive but will allow us to understand whether, as a precaution, we arrange for our shoreside medical team to ask to assess any guests prior to embarkation. It is vital that you answer all questions honestly.

Our shoreside medical team may request that your temperature is taken. This is done by using a hand held thermometer pointed at your body, so it is completely noninvasive.

If, following a consultation with our medical team it is advised that you are unable to embark, we will of course arrange for your travel home and provide you with a full refund.

What a difference in attitude... 

Thanks Harry for posting, this is the sort of company that deserves my hard earned... 

Just ordering my Saga brochure for next year....

Andy 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

I’m seriously considering cancelling my cruises in May. Although I’ve paid the complete balance I should get 50% back with 79 days to go. The sounds coming out of the cruise companies do not fill us with confidence. If you do go on a cruise and become infected imho the impact on you would be catastrophic. Would you be welcomed back into your community? Would you keep your job? Would you infect your loved ones? The risks are endless, all for a 2 week cruise. I believe these are exceptional circumstances and cruise companies should give us the option to cancel at no loss.

Hi....after much deliberation we too have decided to cancel our cruise in April....if we act in the next few days we will lose 60%. My husband is older and has pre existing medical conditions and no cruise is worth any sort of risk. Previously we have flown to many destinations but because of how stressful flying and airports have now become we turned to cruising to continue our " adventures". Now cruising is becoming more stressful with more and more hoops to jump through and it is something that we don't want to do and for us certainly not worth it.

We have a couple of favourite places in this country where we spend a few weeks at a time and I know that we can be struck down with this virus anywhere but we can get home any time we want...easily.... which as you become older becomes more important....for us more important than any cruise.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi....after much deliberation we too have decided to cancel our cruise in April....if we act in the next few days we will lose 60%. My husband is older and has pre existing medical conditions and no cruise is worth any sort of risk. Previously we have flown to many destinations but because of how stressful flying and airports have now become we turned to cruising to continue our " adventures". Now cruising is becoming more stressful with more and more hoops to jump through and it is something that we don't want to do and for us certainly not worth it.

We have a couple of favourite places in this country where we spend a few weeks at a time and I know that we can be struck down with this virus anywhere but we can get home any time we want...easily.... which as you become older becomes more important....for us more important than any cruise.

Oh that's a shame you won't be joining us, but I fully understand your reasoning, we are having the same discussions... 

Your health IS the most important thing. 

Take care, 

Andy 

For sale, CSI 'jelly baby' outfit, complete with snorkel.. 😊

1 minute ago, AndyMichelle said:

Oh that's a shame you won't be joining us, but I fully understand your reasoning, we are having the same discussions... 

Your health IS the most important thing. 

Take care, 

Andy 

For sale, CSI 'jelly baby' outfit, complete with snorkel.. 😊

Hi Andy....yes ….it hasn't been an easy decision but the right one for us. Fortunately we got the cruise at a very good price so even though we will lose money not as much as some will but even so ...health comes first and peace of mind....I know if I went ahead with the cruise I would become anxious about what I was touching....anyone coughing or sneezing....probably innocently....the coach tours we have planned who and what nationality have used them before us....a relaxing cruise ….no way.

I wish you both well Andy & Michelle and even though our paths won't cross on this cruise we come down to the Southampton area every year....stay at Brockenhurst....our paths may cross in the future...or even on future cruise.

Janice

PS   If you can do a deal for 2 jelly baby outfits let me know!!

2 minutes ago, janny444 said:

Hi Andy....yes ….it hasn't been an easy decision but the right one for us. Fortunately we got the cruise at a very good price so even though we will lose money not as much as some will but even so ...health comes first and peace of mind....I know if I went ahead with the cruise I would become anxious about what I was touching....anyone coughing or sneezing....probably innocently....the coach tours we have planned who and what nationality have used them before us....a relaxing cruise ….no way.

I wish you both well Andy & Michelle and even though our paths won't cross on this cruise we come down to the Southampton area every year....stay at Brockenhurst....our paths may cross in the future...or even on future cruise.

Janice

PS   If you can do a deal for 2 jelly baby outfits let me know!!

Totally understand that Janice, Michelle is having the same anxieties. 

She was standing next to the hand sanitizer in the doctors reception yesterday barking at everybody who entered 'WASH YOUR HANDS'... 

I just have a feeling/hope that something will happen and P&O will either have to cancel cruises or change their attitude towards cancelling... 

Perhaps just wishful thinking, but no harm in trying to be positive... 

I'm sure our paths will cross in the future. 

You will spot us easily, the 2 jelly babies who got their suits cheap off of you... 😊

Andy & Michelle 

It appears to me that companies are now drawing their ‘battle lines’ to protect themselves and their profits. I have just been Looking at travel insurance and this is a statement from one of them:

Travel insurance protects against unexpected events. If you buy a policy for a destination where an outbreak has been reported or regulatory advice is already in place, then coronavirus claims will not be considered.

bearing in mind that Dianond Princess fits that criteria, does that mean that future passengers will not be insured? Will insurance companies use this amended policy for all cruises? So many unknowns and no help or guidance being provided.

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST

6 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

It appears to me that companies are now drawing their ‘battle lines’ to protect themselves and their profits. I have just been Looking at travel insurance and this is a statement from one of them:

Travel insurance protects against unexpected events. If you buy a policy for a destination where an outbreak has been reported or regulatory advice is already in place, then coronavirus claims will not be considered.

bearing in mind that Dianond Princess fits that criteria, does that mean that future passengers will not be insured? Will insurance companies use this amended policy for all cruises? So many unknowns and no help or guidance being provided.

I’m no defender of insurance companies, but as always it’s the actual policy wording that counts, subject to any additional conditions they may apply at the point of purchase.

Companies vary a lot. Get a good policy from a company with a good reputation to defend. There are a few, and they’re worth that bit extra.

• Like 2

I think like Andy, we will still plan to go on our April cruise, but decide nearer departure if this is still wise, whatever P&O decide on refund policy.

Fortunately our next cruise is not till late Sep. so a few months yet before we have to decide on paying the balance. However unless there has been more positive clarity from P&O, I think we will be forfeiting our deposit on that one.

Incidentally is anyone still having problems accessing CC with Chrome on their smart phone, I am on Firefox with this because Chrome is not working correctly, there is an overlay showing on the screen and it's not allowing me to log in, strange though Chrome is working fine on my laptop.

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 1

As I understand it, having already paid my balance I cannot now amend my cruise to a later date. At the rate this virus is spreading, P & O may be forced to take a different approach.  If I cancel I stand to lose all my money, if P and O cancel I may not lose it so I have decided to do a ‘wait and see’ and not ‘jump the gun’.  Things are happening quite quickly.   If the foreign office say do not travel unnecessarily, we may be in a better position.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I’m no defender of insurance companies, but as always it’s the actual policy wording that counts, subject to any additional conditions they may apply at the point of purchase.

Companies vary a lot. Get a good policy from a company with a good reputation to defend. There are a few, and they’re worth that bit extra.

Believe you me, this quote is from one of the best insurance companies in the UK. What I’m saying is that their cover is changing on a daily basis.

2 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

As I understand it, having already paid my balance I cannot now amend my cruise to a later date. At the rate this virus is spreading, P & O may be forced to take a different approach.  If I cancel I stand to lose all my money, if P and O cancel I may not lose it so I have decided to do a ‘wait and see’ and not ‘jump the gun’.  Things are happening quite quickly.   If the foreign office say do not travel unnecessarily, we may be in a better position.

This is a quote from the P&O website, I wonder what their response will be?

We understand if this situation has led you to think about cancelling your upcoming cruise. Simply call us on 03453 555 111 (local call charges apply) and we can discuss your options. If you booked with a travel agent, they will be able to help.

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

I think like Andy, we will still plan to go on our April cruise, but decide nearer departure if this is still wise, whatever P&O decide on refund policy.

Fortunately our next cruise is not till late Sep. so a few months yet before we have to decide on paying the balance. However unless there has been more positive clarity from P&O, I think we will be forfeiting our deposit on that one.

Incidentally is anyone still having problems accessing CC with Chrome on their smart phone, I am on Firefox with this because Chrome is not working correctly, there is an overlay showing on the screen and it's not allowing me to log in, strange though Chrome is working fine on my laptop.

Hi....yes I too am having a problem accessing CC with Chrome on my computer...as you say there is an overlay on the screen. No problem when I use Edge although it is rather slower to load  when using Edge 

8 minutes ago, Tablelamp said:

We have paid our balance but depending how near to sail date you will still receive a percentage refund....worked out on a sliding scale. At the moment we will lose 60% but in about 8 days we will lose 75%....rock and a hard place springs to mind!

• Like 1