Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

23 minutes ago, hollyjess said:

We had a cruise booked for June which had to be paid by March 18th. Just phoned P and O to cancel spoke to a very nice lady who was very helpful.. If you wish you can now transfer to any cruise at any price within 12 months. They will also transfer any future cruise deposit to another cruise as long as it is in the 12 month period. Hope this into is helpful to cruisers. Anybody brave enough to book another cruise for the future?

That sounds better. We have just posted on another thread that we are stuck with school holidays so it will be difficult to fit in a 2 week cruise of more value as we have already booked a land holiday for August 2021.

I think there are going to be a lot of half empty ships sailing for a while and I suppose on here we haven't even touched on land holidays abroad !

57 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Not necessarily, a lot of younger people say between 18 and 50yrs would take the risk that the virus would be mild. In that case they would still travel and possibly be carriers and infect others. The main people at risk are the elderly eg over 60s and people with other medical conditions. These are the categories that cruise companies should be concerned about and protecting.

I think even the majority of the younger generation would cancel as well, they all have families etc to come back to and nobody wants to be ill. 

Andy 

• Like 1

Do you know I don't understand this "can't find the patient zero"  So let's say you have been in a store or a supermarket and there was a person there from another area and you caught it from them.  You wouldn't know you had been near that person so you couldn't report it.  Especially in places like big cities where there could be travellers from any region at any time.

On another topic, can you cancel and move your cruise to another one at a later date if you have fully paid?

For us that are in the " unfortunate" position of being past final payment date and are hoping that P&O are going to offer us full refunds...I can't see that happening. If the WHO and the government implement a ban on public gatherings they then may offer us the opportunity of transferring to another cruise. I just don't think that they can " afford" to refund everyone for imminent cruises....so if we are prepared to transfer our cruise to a later date fine but many of us may have booked our present cruise at a very good price so to change to one that sails in a few months we could be paying a lot more for that cruise than what we would normally.

As I said earlier we are between a rock and a hard place at the moment and as to what is going to happen ….we have no idea

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Do you know I don't understand this "can't find the patient zero"  So let's say you have been in a store or a supermarket and there was a person there from another area and you caught it from them.  You wouldn't know you had been near that person so you couldn't report it.  Especially in places like big cities where there could be travellers from any region at any time.

On another topic, can you cancel and move your cruise to another one at a later date if you have fully paid?

Speak to your agent Jean, I know they have been updated today regarding transfers.

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I think the point is, up until now, every case has been brought in from abroad. 

This new case has been contracted here, so the unknown source will undoubtedly be infecting other people. 

It changes everything. 

As for transferring, as of yesterday, P&O said no if your balance has been paid. 

Andy 

Edited by AndyMichelle

4 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Hi Jean....no....we can't transfer to another cruise at a later date...at the moment....but they may have a rethink. Jean...don't you usually book on release date when the price is the most competitive ….changing to one in a few months time you won't be paying the best price....just a thought

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Glad it's not just me, I can get CC satisfactorily on my phone using the Firefox browser however, but still can't get it properly on Chrome.

I can't get in from my shortcut but if I go through google I can get in ok somebody has suggested clearing cookies so will try that. 

Yes just read that I can't transfer and anyway that would a bit of a problem as we have 3 more booked and I couldn't do another one.  Firstly couldn't get the leave from work and secondly wouldn't want more than 2 a year.

I realize the person has caught the virus in this country, but who is to say that they didn't catch it from a person who has travelled and is not showing symptoms.  A person they did not know, in a shop or a store.

Edited by jeanlyon

15 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Yes just read that I can't transfer and anyway that would a bit of a problem as we have 3 more booked and I couldn't do another one.  Firstly couldn't get the leave from work and secondly wouldn't want more than 2 a year.

I realize the person has caught the virus in this country, but who is to say that they didn't catch it from a person who has travelled and is not showing symptoms.  A person they did not know, in a shop or a store.

That is the problem, if they did catch it from a person who travelled and is not showing symptoms that person could still be infecting others even today. The people they infected may not show symptoms for  up to 14 days during which time they may have infected even more people, some of whom will have gone on to infect other people etc etc. It is a sort of chain reaction which they can't stop because they don't know who to test.

Apparently the swab test is not 100% effective anyway as if your 'viral load' (how many viral particles are in your system) is very low the test will come back negative, later your viral load increases and you would test positive. I hope I am wrong with this interpretation.

So far we are in the containment phase where they had a very good chance of tracing all the possible contacts of infected people. The latest patient could be a game changer.

Where was the 'patient zero' in the BBC 2018 epidemic spread exercise? It  was Haslemere in Surrey where the latest patient was identified. What a coincidence!

24 minutes ago, davecttr said:

5206 passengers and 1762 crew 

11 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

France has just banned gatherings of more than 5000 people. IMHO Don’t cancel your cruise just yet, let circumstances take their course

I fear that cruise ships in general will find themselves increasingly unwelcome in or barred from ports. Who will want a visit from what is effectively a floating hotel with several thousand guests which has  been situated in several different cities and even countries during the previous fortnight; Guests who could pick up the infection in any one of those cities and perhaps transmit it to the inhabitants of several more before showing symptoms themselves? In the extreme it could result in cruising in general being suspended until the outbreak is over, at least for the bigger ships.

Edited by Denarius
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

France has just banned all public gatherings with more than 5000 people.   How many on Iona?

We are booked on Britannia....think that won't be far off 5000 people including crew will it?

Just researched  it...total of 5045 passengers & crew

Edited by janny444