Cancelling Cruises because of the C word

davemorton

2 hours ago, jeanlyon said:

They appear to have removed the Travel Advisory from the front page of their website.  They would only turn you away if you had a temperature surely and even then they have to do other checks.  you might just have a cold.

Cunard still have a travel Advisory link on their front page.  It now includes the following three paragraphs:

"Pack 14 days of extra medication – In the event of unexpected travel delays and emergencies, please remember to bring additional prescription medication for at least two weeks beyond the length of the cruise. Also bring a list of the names, strengths and dosages of all medications in case refills are required.

Mobile phone instructions – Guests should enable an international travel plan inclusive of voice and data. Mobile phones will not work the same in all countries without an international plan and Wi-Fi is not as available in many countries. An international plan will enable you to stay connected at a reasonable rate and ensure you can be contacted.

Purchase travel insurance – It's always a good idea and strongly recommended that you purchase travel insurance through Cunard, or some other form of travel insurance, not only to protect from any losses stemming from unforeseeable circumstances during your vacation, but to also have confidence to make new plans with "cancel for any reason" coverage."

I'll leave it up to others to make their own interpretation regarding the extra medication paragraph.

Must admit though, we were on Ventura on the infamous 5 day visit to Tenerife.  At the Captain's interview with the Cruise Director the Capt mentioned that he was very surprised at the large amount of pax who had not brought sufficient meds to last them the extra four days to Soton.

• Like 1

In an email from P&O today, I noticed this paragraph at the end -

We understand if this situation has led you to think about cancelling your upcoming cruise. Simply call us on 03453 555 111 (local call charges apply) and we can discuss your options. If you booked with a travel agent, they will be able to help

Perhaps they are a little more open to changing things?

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

We understand if this situation has led you to think about cancelling your upcoming cruise. Simply call us on 03453 555 111 (local call charges apply) and we can discuss your options. If you booked with a travel agent, they will be able to help

I would like to know what options might be available.  And will those same options be available to people who gave booked through a travel agent. Please let us know if anyone finds out.

Just got through to P&O. 

After balance has been paid, you cannot transfer to a later date. 

Couldn't get much else out of them, they kept saying normal T&C's apply and to keep checking the website for updates. 

They would not confirm or deny if they would reimburse if they refused us boarding... 

Andy 

On 2/27/2020 at 8:44 AM, BestGuessed said:

Just looked at this thread .....  We are due to board Oceana on Saturday 8th March. Obviously we are all paid up and getting ready to think about packing in preparation but at the same time not even sure if we will be going. It all seems ominously quiet as far as communication or current advice goes from P&O.
So we are feeling very uncertain and confused at present. It’s such a shame as we should be feeling really excited. 🙆‍♀️🥴

We are on the same cruise we cannot get excited either, it is Sunday not Saturday departing,  it is a waiting game to see what P and O do

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

Just got through to P&O. 

After balance has been paid, you cannot transfer to a later date. 

Couldn't get much else out of them, they kept saying normal T&C's apply and to keep checking the website for updates. 

They would not confirm or deny if they would reimburse if they refused us boarding... 

Andy 

Surely if you turn up for your cruise & P&O cancels it for whatever reason, then you should be entitled to your money back. If not they could cancel cruises all the time & make a stinking fortune from it. If they can’t take you to these infected areas they could at least let you onboard & we could all sail around the Isle of Wight for a fortnight!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Bennybluehat said:

Surely if you turn up for your cruise & P&O cancels it for whatever reason, then you should be entitled to your money back. If not they could cancel cruises all the time & make a stinking fortune from it. If they can’t take you to these infected areas they could at least let you onboard & we could all sail around the Isle of Wight for a fortnight!!

Morally, yes, but as things stand they're completely covered by their Terms and Conditions which allow them to refuse any refund (subject to any challenge under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 as an unfair term or condition):

22.              P&O Cruises and/or the relevant port authorities shall be entitled to administer a Public Health Questionnaire at any time. All Guests agree to complete the pre-boarding questionnaire and to supply accurate information regarding any symptoms of illness including but not limited to gastro-intestinal illness. In the interests of health and safety P&O Cruises may deny boarding to any Guest who has symptoms of any viral or bacterial illness including but not limited to Norovirus. Refusal by a Guest to complete the relevant pre-boarding questionnaire may in itself result in denied boarding. All cases of denied boarding will be treated as a cancellation attracting 100% cancellation charges in accordance with clause 38. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bennybluehat said:

I think that is the point, they are not cancelling the cruise, just refusing boarding. 

As Harry's post says, according to their terms, they can refuse to refund if they stop you boarding... 

Sounds totally unfair and again, as Harry says, it can be challenged, but what a palaver!!! 

Andy 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

BUT, if you don't know you are ill, how can that form part of those conditions?  if you fill in the questionnaire correctly, you cannot be denied boarding.

My understanding is, If you are showing symptoms, they will get the doctor to have a look at you and if he decides you are a risk, you can't board. 

They have to put some restrictions in place I suppose... 

Andy 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

My understanding is, If you are showing symptoms, they will get the doctor to have a look at you and if he decides you are a risk, you can't board. 

They have to put some restrictions in place I suppose... 

Andy 

Reading the P&O website ,thats how I read it as well Andy

Looking after our guests and crew
The following control measures have been implemented for our ships.
Pre-boarding screening will be conducted for all guests, crew and visitors in all embarkation ports with further medical evaluation if necessary.

Which to me reads they will not deny boarding to people with a cold.Further checks will be done .

also ...   Purchase travel insurance – It's always a good idea and strongly recommended that you purchase travel insurance through P&O Cruises, or some other form of travel insurance, not only to protect from any losses stemming from unforeseeable circumstances during your vacation, but to also have confidence to make new plans with "cancel for any reason" coverage

For those with paid up cruises, I would be tempted to phone P&O and enquire about this "cancel for any reason"  insurance they recommend on the web site .

Also screen shot and save/print  the page should you have any future problems would be a good idea .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Hampshire Steve said:

This is something we are now considering ---- hate, hate, hate the thought of not sailing on Oceana, but sometimes what will be, will be. We are great believers in 'everything happens for a reason'.

At the moment we are thinking about a possible change of cruise rather than a cancellation.

Glad that we have the chance to reconsider …….. sorry for those that have paid already as am not sure what they can do

If we have to have 2 weeks in a lovely part of the UK we do. The cruise can wait

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I am certain you won't be able to get "cancel for any reason" if the cruise is fully paid for.  Not in these circumstances.

If I was about to cruise Jean I would want to know why they are trying to sell it .

https://www.pocruises.com/travel-health-advisories

Edited by kalos
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

This is something we are now considering ---- hate, hate, hate the thought of not sailing on Oceana, but sometimes what will be, will be. We are great believers in 'everything happens for a reason'.

At the moment we are thinking about a possible change of cruise rather than a cancellation.

Glad that we have the chance to reconsider …….. sorry for those that have paid already as am not sure what they can do

If we have to have 2 weeks in a lovely part of the UK we do. The cruise can wait

As long it’s Scotland your going to only place in uk without a confirmed case,your better stopping at home.

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think that is the point, they are not cancelling the cruise, just refusing boarding. 

As Harry's post says, according to their terms, they can refuse to refund if they stop you boarding... 

Sounds totally unfair and again, as Harry says, it can be challenged, but what a palaver!!! 

Andy 

From past, painful experience we know that insurance companies will not show any compassion whatsoever and will not pay out if they can help it. Have no time for them or respect whatsoever.

If anyone thinks that an insurance company will be their 'safety blanket' in any of this, then be warned, think again and double check everything with them. AND, get it all in writing via e-mail !

Sorry to sound cynical, but have been there and been 'burned' …….. we trust no more!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Bazrat said:

As long it’s Scotland your going to only place in uk without a confirmed case,your better stopping at home.

This made me smile as we'd seen some great lodges on the side of Loch Ness ………. never been to Scotland

Just to note ------- this holiday would cost us 25% of the price ……. and we can wait for months before we book

If all else fails my back garden is nice.

4 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

This made me smile as we'd seen some great lodges on the side of Loch Ness ………. never been to Scotland

Just to note ------- this holiday would cost us 25% of the price ……. and we can wait for months before we book

If all else fails my back garden is nice.

My wife works in a health centre and I have told her for safety’s sake it’s better if she does not go on our cruise,her reply was don’t bother with cooking dinner tomorrow she will do it, I thought great I have Saturday afternoon off to watch the football 🤪

• Like 1