Just Announced - No travel to the US from Europe (except UK)

ziggyuk

Remember you cant have been in or transited thru any schwengen countries within the last two weeks....

and while we are at it, are we a bunch of children trying to get away with something or is there just maybe a good reason for this travel ban?  Perhaps we could all support the efforts to prevent another Italy here in the US?  There’s a REASON for the travel ban that we should all respect!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Comi.uy said:

The happening is real, oh boy!

I'm traveling to the us in a month from south America, hope I can get a cancel on the air and on the cruise sigh...

The problem when you canceling get fcc.  The cruise lines are raising their prices by almost double for cruises next year.   
my cruise in May is close to double the price next year.   So I’m waiting it out till the cruise line cancels so I’ll get a refund instead.   Hopefully.    

23 minutes ago, deanimal said:

My son piped up and said, "then why don't people just fly to Canada and drive to the United States?" 

Five seconds. Thats all the time it took a ten year old to figure out a huge gap in this plan.

Yes!!!!   LOL

23 minutes ago, deanimal said:

Edited by CherWolf

2 minutes ago, erdoran said:

And I hope they do suspend all cruises.  There’s evidence that only a few asymptomatic pax infected a whole boat.  I love cruising, I have two booked that I doubt I’ll be able to take, but getting this pandemic under control is more important than missing a cruise or two.

On the plus side, the more stringent the restrictions and the faster people comply, the sooner we’ll get through this and life will be back to normal.

I think part of the problem was ppl being sick went anyway or lose all the money they put up for a cruise. Now that they can cancel without penalty we will see the many sick not board .

19 minutes ago, erdoran said:

Personally I think this should include UK as their numbers are going to take a big jump in the next few days.  

I hate to say it but once US testing gets going properly I think they'll be a HUGE jump in the number of infected, so far minimal testing = minimal infections 

• Like 7

They can cancel every flight to, from and within the US for that matter and it won't stop the spread of the virus. It's in the US and is spreading. If they were testing even close to the levels of other countries, I shudder to think just how many confirmed cases and deaths there would be.  A confirmed actor, basketball player, congressional aide, nursing home seniors, teachers, students, doctors, nurses, medical conference attendees, synagogue attendees spreading throughout their community, people travelling via bus, subway, plane, boat.   

If you're healthy and catch it, chances are you won't even know or suffer only mild symptoms, will recover and build some immunity.  The problem not knowing if you have it, is the inability self quarantine to stop the spread to those that aren't as healthy and can't fight it off.

Edited by aztekpm
  • Like 11

2 hours ago, dockman said:

so what happens if you are an american currently on a ship in europe that doesn't end for a week or more...will u be allowed to return to usa from europe when the cruise ends?  what about flights?  TONS of questions and different situations to be sorted out in 48 hours...

It applies to foreign nationals only. IF you can find a airline operating without foreign nationals.... 

https://www.dhs.gov/news/2020/03/11/homeland-security-acting-secretary-chad-f-wolf-s-statement-presidential-proclamation

2 hours ago, TheSpaver said:

Brexit favoritism? But the UK only has 460 confirmed cases and both Spain and France approaching 2300

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably didn't hurt, but early on UK and rest of Europe said they would screen people traveling to US. UK are the only one that really did. 2 - 3 weeks ago there were a bunch of stories of people just hopping on a plane in Italy with no screening at all and flying to the US. 

5 hours ago, HalfHand said:

Probably didn't hurt, but early on UK and rest of Europe said they would screen people traveling to US. UK are the only one that really did. 2 - 3 weeks ago there were a bunch of stories of people just hopping on a plane in Italy with no screening at all and flying to the US. 

I think this is true along with keeping a major European airport hub (Heathrow) in an island nation that is remote from mainland Europe and has a  low(ish) virus count (for now!).

Brixit, relationship and common language probably do also play a small roll.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Wow, just watching the announcement by Donald Trump.

What a cluster **** last night, an hour after the speech they had to come out and correct two statements Trump made. Their is Not a ban on cargo..... who the heck is writing this stuff or did Donald have another Hunch? No word about testing..... because they don't have the kits they say they do. The horse left the barn two months ago, Trump thought it was made up or fake news

• Like 1

So, are the people flying in from Europe today and tomorrow going to go through the same testing as the cruisers? I’m just curious because I have a coworker who’s teenage son is returning from Spain tomorrow. Just thought I would try to give her any other information that I could.  Has anyone heard if these people will be quarantined?

So everything is a mess but we can still start doing as asked - social distancing, don’t travel, don’t play silly games to avoid the “entry from Europe” ban, don’t cruise, wash your hands, etc, etc.  What’s the alternative?

51 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

What a cluster **** last night, an hour after the speech they had to come out and correct two statements Trump made. Their is Not a ban on cargo..... who the heck is writing this stuff or did Donald have another Hunch? No word about testing..... because they don't have the kits they say they do. The horse left the barn two months ago, Trump thought it was made up or fake news

A person could die from a hunch that turns out to be 100% wrong.  

If I get sick, I want to know if it's the virus so I can help protect my family and others.  The state I live in will probably be one of the last to get testing off the ground.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Laszlo said:

I thought he said no cargo when I watched it live but nothing since.

Thanks for the update.

1 minute ago, ziggyuk said:

I thought he said no cargo when I watched it live but nothing since.

Thanks for the update.

You are correct, he original said no people or no cargo, the WH corrected that an hour later. Biggest speech of his life and can't get it right. Lol

• Like 1

10 hours ago, deanimal said:

My husband and I were just discussing this. My son piped up and said, "then why don't people just fly to Canada and drive to the United States?" 

Five seconds. Thats all the time it took a ten year old to figure out a huge gap in this plan. A plan that's going to cause massive hardships and maybe tank the travel industry for a long time to come. 

This seems a bit crazy to me

I love children.  So smart.  They should solve all world problems 🙂 

I can fly today from Washington state (the largest source of infection so far) to Washington DC without a problem.  As of right now there are no travel restrictions within the US for US customers. Distribution of the virus is mainly the result of community spread.

This entry ban for the EU is largely symbolic. 

• Like 3

12 hours ago, deanimal said:

My husband and I were just discussing this. My son piped up and said, "then why don't people just fly to Canada and drive to the United States?" 

Five seconds. Thats all the time it took a ten year old to figure out a huge gap in this plan. A plan that's going to cause massive hardships and maybe tank the travel industry for a long time to come. 

This seems a bit crazy to me

1 hour ago, maryivo said:

I love children.  So smart.  They should solve all world problems 🙂 

Sorry to spoil the fun, but when the passport of a traveler who does that is presented at the US border it will show that the person had entered Canada from a country that the US will not permit to enter and they will not be admitted to the US. Even though passports aren't always stamped these days there's an electronic record of the person's travel history and it will show they entered Canada from a restricted country.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Isabella Benjamin said:

This entry ban for the EU is largely symbolic. 

No...something that's symbolic should have few consequences, whether positive or negative. The travel ban has a real negative impact on the world's economies, which were already reeling from the effects of the pandemic. You can see by what happened in the financial markets today that this is viewed very negatively by the financial community.

So, it may be symbolic with respect to its real impact on the pandemic, but it carries other negative consequences.

• Like 3

How about the person that flew from JFK to Florida on jet blue 

And when gets off the plane he finds out he has or he had the C19        

how many more people are actually infected.   

• Like 1