Explorer drydock postponed

1 minute ago, Jack McGowan said:

I think the original was planned for Brest, France. 

Anywhere on that side of the pond would be great!  We are booked on the November TA and have our fingers crossed!

Just now, Jack McGowan said:

It was definetly  somewhere in Europe (and probably still will be)

I think it might have been Cadiz.  Our odds for the TA are better if the ship is already in Europe! 

• Like 1

I wonder exactly where they draw the line between "technical" and "everything else""?

Good news for sure, but will they be giving attention to things like carpets/bedding/dining room tables & chairs........ or will it only be propulsion systems/windows/HVAC systems etc.......

2 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

I wonder exactly where they draw the line between "technical" and "everything else""?

Good news for sure, but will they be giving attention to things like carpets/bedding/dining room tables & chairs........ or will it only be propulsion systems/windows/HVAC systems etc.......

The way I understood it was that they are doing things that are absolutely essential, I wouldn’t have thought there will be many (if any) changes to passenger spaces

29 minutes ago, NateUpNorth said:

Technical things are what are required by outside agencies for them to judge the ship to sail in a safe manner.  Replacing carpets etc are not required.  Not saying it won't happen, but I am sure Royal is counting every penny nowadays.

49 minutes ago, gatour said:

Technical things are what are required by outside agencies for them to judge the ship to sail in a safe manner.  Replacing carpets etc are not required.  Not saying it won't happen, but I am sure Royal is counting every penny nowadays.

I could see them putting in a new bar or restaurant if it will be a money maker 

20 hours ago, Airbalancer said:

I could see them putting in a new bar or restaurant if it will be a money maker 

This is kind of what I was getting at..... where is the fine line between "we need to do this so people will still sail the ship and spend money with us instead of going home thinking it was a tired and run down motel" and "don't spend the $$$ on upgrades/fixing because we're not making $$$"

we sailed on the explorer in jan of 2020 and the trip was fine...did the abc's which is never a bad thing. Food was good, entertainment was good, service was good, cabin was more holiday inn from the 80;s than motel 6, but was clean and the chardonnay tasted great on that balcony.. We liked it well enough that we are sailing on her again in  march 21'. We have 3 cruises booked for 2021, this one, the brilliance and the celeb "connie"... I guess that shows that we dont need slides and the rest of the "mall" ship stuff, just good honest cruise ships that continue to be great value and quality....simple ships for simple folks...we wish everyone well  and hope that  everyone waits until the vaccine comes out to cruise again in 2021. My friends in the pharmaceutical field all tell me the same thing......next year for the vaccine and in the meantime keep doing the social distancing, and wear a mask when around other human beings....take care and good sailing to all!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NateUpNorth said:

I would guess that it will depend on how much has already been spent in preparation for non-essential changes, and how much must still be spent.  Example...say it costs a total of $1 to change carpeting in an cabin.  If Royal has already spent 80 cents to purchase and stage the carpeting, would they go ahead and spend the extra 20 cents to install it, or would they choose to save the 20 cents?  If they don't change the carpeting now, how much would it cost to store this carpeting somewhere for a couple of years?  Would they need to throw away some of the carpeting and spend the 80 cents again at a later date?  They need every penny they can get so these are probably not simple decisions.  Obviously, these are completely made up numbers.

48 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

they posted on rcl website yesterday that due to closure of shipyards and the supply chain during the pandemic they will be doing only routine maintenance during dry dock of the Explorer (shortened version of what they posted).

While that's a nice excuse, the real reason is that they want to spend the money on the full AMP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Biker19 said:

While that's a nice excuse, the real reason is that they want to spend the money on the full AMP.

I think you meant to say they dont want to spend money to amp up.  

If I was them I wouldn't want to either.  They are piling up alot of short term debt right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From some of the reports earlier on this Forum Explorer looked quite worn in many public areas and now that the Amplification is not happening doesn't sound to keen to be cruising on her until a Amplification will happen.

As it seems Explorer is heading to Europe now and should be reaching it's Dry Dock location within 14 days or less. Hence for a standard marine maintenance job the works would take less than 30 days, which would mean the ship should be ready by begining of August. Since all cruises were cancelled until end of August, it's maybe a sign that the new target date to resume cruising at least in Europe might be begining of September, hence US at least 1 - 2 months later.

On 6/11/2020 at 9:16 AM, retired dude said:

we sailed on the explorer in jan of 2020 and the trip was fine...did the abc's which is never a bad thing. Food was good, entertainment was good, service was good, cabin was more holiday inn from the 80;s than motel 6, but was clean and the chardonnay tasted great on that balcony.. We liked it well enough that we are sailing on her again in  march 21'. We have 3 cruises booked for 2021, this one, the brilliance and the celeb "connie"... I guess that shows that we dont need slides and the rest of the "mall" ship stuff, just good honest cruise ships that continue to be great value and quality....simple ships for simple folks...we wish everyone well  and hope that  everyone waits until the vaccine comes out to cruise again in 2021. My friends in the pharmaceutical field all tell me the same thing......next year for the vaccine and in the meantime keep doing the social distancing, and wear a mask when around other human beings....take care and good sailing to all!

Well, to hear you describe the cabins on the EOS as "holiday inn from the 80's" is somewhat disappointing to say the least.  You compare the current EOS cabins to 40 year old Holiday Inn rooms when the ship has not even been sailing for 20 years albeit with undergoing scheduled dry docks and refurbishments.  I find it hard to believe and that RCCL  would allow the EOS  to sail in such condition.  I have sailed on various other RCCL ships and although not perfect, would not describe any as having cabins that appear akin to a 40 year old Holiday Inn.  I, for one, would certainly expect better before I would consider rebooking the same accommodations  just a few months later.  Anyway, wishing you happy sailings.