Explorer drydock postponed

On 3/13/2020 at 4:57 AM, NanciRDH said:

My daughter is crew on EX, got this text from her this am...

Our dry dock was canceled as of last night. We will port in miami on the 15th - the 18th (in and out not over night) and for the remaining time we were supposed to be in france we will be floating around Freeport. Docking when it's free. Ship is hoping everything changes by may and we will sail to europe for cruises without enhancements

Has your daughter given any updates?? I called Royal and nothing official yet. I have a group booking in January and if the ship is not going to be amp we need to switch to another ship.

56 minutes ago, dramaqueenjan said:

Has your daughter given any updates?? I called Royal and nothing official yet. I have a group booking in January and if the ship is not going to be amp we need to switch to another ship.

She said drydock was cancelled, and doesn't know if that will change.  She had to turn in her hardhat and ugly steel toed shoes lol.  They're just sailing around, possibly stopping in Freeport, and there was talk of crew days in Coco Cay.  #EvacuationVacation She's cruise staff, usually in charge of trivia, bingo and such, so I'm not sure what she will be doing besides working on her tan lol.

I rang RC and couldn’t get any more information about the status of the amplification or even a general update of the fixtures and fittings. 
When Oasis had the accident last year the most current information was from crew members social media accounts. Anyone know crew we can follow (read stalk 😊)?

On 3/15/2020 at 8:25 AM, LXA350 said:

Th mandatory dry dock for mechanical work will need to be done anyhow. The expensive work will be the changes to the structure of th ship for adding additional cabins etc. But given all the negative feedback on how bad the ship is in place, they at least need to get such work done. Hence I hope they will at least invest USD 20 Million to get the ship back in shape and like this they will also not ending up more negative feedback of the ship which would result in further cancelations.

I could see them skip the non money making improvements, like the slides 

Being familiar with the construction industry it will be interesting to see what they do here. Being so close to the dry dock date I would guess that most supplies/contracts would have been ordered and committed to so cancelling them would come at a huge penalty.

Things like the water slides, and extra cabins will already have been manufactured. New custom carpeting, millwork, furnishings, etc. would also be ready to go and they will have to pay for them regardless. Sometimes in these situations it would be cheaper or cost neutral to continue than to cancel. I'm sure Royal would now be deciding a path forward based on what is financially sensible and with such huge renovations planned this will not be an easy task.

I am scheduled to sail on the Explorer TA this November and Allure in August 2021 so I will be following this with a vested interest.

• Like 1

There’s an update on the Allure thread quoting an update from RC. The amplification of Explorer is on hold for now. Doesn’t sound like it’s been abandoned yet. With the Coronavirus outbreak they have no ports to perform the work and no workers for now. 

On 3/16/2020 at 6:43 PM, The Sunset Glow said:

I am scheduled to sail on the Explorer TA this November and Allure in August 2021 so I will be following this with a vested interest.

Me too, but in late September.

Moreover, I convinced 2 other couples to join us, "selling" them an "amped" ship....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Explorer's statutory drydock window would be June to December 2020, so there will be at least a shipyard period in that time.  Whether RCI wants to spend capital on major renovations to the hotel side or not is a business decision way over my pay grade.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still hoping we get some sort of refurb, we booked Explorer April 2021 long before the virus hit, one of the reasons was because the ship refurb, just checking to see if there is any possible update? or is it still to early to know anything?

15 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Maybe once she sets out for her TA, then we might hear something. 

Eventually she might head to Europe even if it will only be for Marine Maintenance unless a spot could be found in Freeport. If the Drydock / Amplification would still happen in Europe we might see Anthem, Allure and Explorer to offer a few cruises toward autumn before heading back to North America given all ports are open and cruising is possible. For X this might be simmilar for Apex and Constellation but this might be the most realistic. I guess all ships that are not aimed at having a dry dock in Europe / are comming out as a new built (Apex) will not even be moved to Europe this year.

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

Not sure it means anything, but she's been tied up at terminal G at POM for the past 3 days - most ships just resupply and go back out in a day.

Hmmm 🤔 

I wonder if she’s preparing to head across the pond? Spain is starting to open the construction industry now. 

5 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Her dry dock was scheduled in Holland - not sure they ever shut down.

Netherlands is in 'intelligent' lock down  all businesses apart from hospitality and contact services (e.g. hairdressers) have remained open. 

Sail on their older ships like Empress and Majesty and  then all their other ships will feel like they were all AMPED.....what's the big deal get over it, other more important things to worry about in this world at the moment.

9 minutes ago, NanciRDH said:

Explorer was originally going to France for drydock.  I know crew who was on board, and looking forward to it.  

Yea, in the RC press release, about the dry dock going on hold, they mentioned Brest as the location. 

We won't know until we know ... but capital spending at all three major cruise corporations is going to plunge like a Toyota off a cliff. 

My bet is that drydocks will take care of operating/mechanical systems and safety equipment. Some folks here are still counting on lavish new-builds and big-$$ drydock refurbs ... but every cruise company is hemorrhaging cash, and the outlook stays horrible for the forseeable future.