Oceania suspends operations

Charles4515

7 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Suspended for 30 days. 

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/22600-nclh-suspends-operations-for-norwegian-oceania-and-regent-brands.html

official now,,,,,,,,NCLH Suspends Operations for Norwegian, Oceania and Regent Brands

Edited by eldaradoe

Hmm. Since I have not made my final payment yet, what I may do is cancel my cruise, get a refund, keep the flights and hotel reservations, and if the cruise does go as scheduled rebook it with what I hope would be sweet enticements to book a cruise. 

3 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Hmm. Since I have not made my final payment yet, what I may do is cancel my cruise, get a refund, keep the flights and hotel reservations, and if the cruise does go as scheduled rebook it with what I hope would be sweet enticements to book a cruise. 

That is important information to all of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Not sure what the end rules will be, but prior to this announcement NCL would allow you to cancel the cruise and get future cruise credit and that credit was NOT allowed to be used on the cruise you just canceled.  

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence

Can the future cruise credit (FCC) be used as payment towards the same cancelled cruise if they decide at a later date to sail?

No. The 48-hour prior to sailing cancellation window provides Peace of Mind allowing you to defer decisions to a later date and therefore the cancelled cruise may not be re-booked using the FCC.

Edited by KS&JW

IMHO 30 days when other cruiselines are doing 60 days, is really adding to reasons I really don't think I'll want to cruise with them.  This would have been my first O cruise.  If I get a refund, I'll be booking Viking. Oceania  seems to be doing the bare minimum that they have to.  Very disappointing to me. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

Not sure what the end rules will be, but prior to this announcement NCL would allow you to cancel the cruise and get future cruise credit and that credit was NOT allowed to be used on the cruise you just canceled.  

https://www.ncl.com/why-cruise-norwegian/book-with-confidence

Can the future cruise credit (FCC) be used as payment towards the same cancelled cruise if they decide at a later date to sail?

No. The 48-hour prior to sailing cancellation window provides Peace of Mind allowing you to defer decisions to a later date and therefore the cancelled cruise may not be re-booked using the FCC.

That may be NCL's policy but as of now there is no language on O web site.  I believe that applied to cruises cancelled after final payment within the up to 48 hours window. If I cancel now before April 11 I get a refund. 

13 minutes ago, susiesan said:

That may be NCL's policy but as of now there is no language on O web site.  I believe that applied to cruises cancelled after final payment within the up to 48 hours window. If I cancel now before April 11 I get a refund. 

Good point about being before final payment.  I missed that important detail.  

Did anyone notice that if you opt for a refund vs a FCC that the refund will be posted within 90 days of the request - that is an unreasonably long delay IMO.

Not sure why this is the case as other recent refunds for missed Asia cruises were posted almost immediately.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WaterView2 said:

Good move, maybe should even be longer.

8 minutes ago, RJB said:

Probably should be, but O is known to do as little as possible when there are problems. 

I agree but in fairness to O, yes I can balance my posts,  we dont know their business conditions nor the discussions they have had with Federal authorities, thier suppliers, lenders, insurers etc. MAYBE their insuracne will only cover then for 30 days with a revisit to the situation later. I think many here have the same impress as you do RJB that O is little and late when problem occur and maybe that reputation will bite them, warranted in this case or not.

I hope they survive and that they learn from this. I have little doubt operationally they have learned a lot and will and are doing things ven better but how they handle clients for booking issues / cancellations I will wait and see. Their on board experience has been (mostly) very good for us and familiarity certainly helps. But that goes only so far. I remain positive however and look forward to shopping for a new cruise on O in the future.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, YoHoHo said:

I agree but in fairness to O, yes I can balance my posts,  we dont know their business conditions nor the discussions they have had with Federal authorities, thier suppliers, lenders, insurers etc. MAYBE their insuracne will only cover then for 30 days with a revisit to the situation later. I think many here have the same impress as you do RJB that O is little and late when problem occur and maybe that reputation will bite them, warranted in this case or not.

I hope they survive and that they learn from this. I have little doubt operationally they have learned a lot and will and are doing things ven better but how they handle clients for booking issues / cancellations I will wait and see. Their on board experience has been (mostly) very good for us and familiarity certainly helps. But that goes only so far. I remain positive however and look forward to shopping for a new cruise on O in the future.

I agree....we choose O for many reasons....you go where you want...that's why the world is round!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Did anyone notice that if you opt for a refund vs a FCC that the refund will be posted within 90 days of the request - that is an unreasonably long delay IMO.

Not sure why this is the case as other recent refunds for missed Asia cruises were posted almost immediately.

can you say "Cash Flow"

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

can you say "Cash Flow"

Who remembers Renaissance?  I do. That is why I am leery to make the final payment. If the cruise end sup being canceled by O and I get a refund so be it. But if O goes under I am out thousands of dollars. As posters above said, no one knows what Oceania 's fiscal siuation is. With the publicly traded cruise lines we have some info on financiall health. We have none on Oceania. I don't think the travel insurance that comes with credit cards covers financial default. I can afford to wait 90 days for a refund but I can't afford to just lose the money.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

And not to be the "Debbie Downer" here......but if NCLH was to declare bankruptcy filing within that 90-day period, your full cash refund and your FCC would both disappear down the toilet!  😔

3 hours ago, susiesan said:

My experience has been that it's not necessary that one cancel their cruise and re-book in order to receive an improved fare or current promotion.  Just ask for it and you usually will get it.  All that games-playing is costly and wasteful in the time that it takes for the paperwork to be created and so forth.

1 minute ago, vlthom said:

My experience has been that it's not necessary that one cancel their cruise and re-book in order to receive an improved fare or current promotion.  Just ask for it and you usually will get it.  All that games-playing is costly and wasteful in the time that it takes for the paperwork to be created and so forth.

See posts above. It's not about paperwork and playing games. It is about not losing your money. We are in uncharted times here and I just don't know if O can survive with no cash flow for 30 days or even longer as it is likely the cruise halt could be extended.. If someone can assure me of Oceania fiscal health I will be happy to make the final payment and hope for the best. O is one of my 2 favorite cruise lines, Windstar is the other, and I do not want to se them go unddr.

I dont know the financial position of Oceania but I did go through the Renaissance debacle if you paid with Credit card you should not lose a penny since at that time credit cards covered all the losses..it really was easy peasy..

Jancruz1

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Maybe  they have to borrow  from the loan they just acquired ?

Plus look at how many pax  they will have to refund across the lines   ..it will take time

Here it is:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

·

42m

At my request, effective midnight tonight, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and MSC have all agreed to suspend outbound cruises for thirty days. It is a great and important industry – it will be kept that way!