WOW, cost of Princess Plus for a single traveler

mistyPA

So, have been looking at booking a cruise in November and when I put in the request for a single vs double passenger the cost for Princess Plus is $200 more for inside, $250 for balcony and $25 for Mini suite. This seems ridulous to me. Does anyone know if this is typical of this package?

Singles get hosed for all inclusive trips as well.  I have been looking a cruise and land vacation and both gouge.   Really makes me mad some days trying to understand the pricing.  In some cases I think they could do better for some single pricing versus double.

• Thanks 1

I was lucky to find some deals to sail solo last year--much less than double the single rate. I'm hoping that there will be some this year--or else that the prices will fall enough for a last-minute deal to where I don't mind paying double a great rate.

• 5 weeks later...

NCL has those tiny cabins for singles if you can handle such small space.  I've not sailed with NCL recently so don't know if they have better rates for solos (other than those cabins).

I like Princess (would sail Royal Caribbean if an itinerary was interesting) and at this stage of my life, I bite the bullet and pay.  I'm in my 70's, might not cruise much longer so if I want a certain cruise, I pay.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, victory2020 said:

HAL also offers single some fair(er) rates.

In a regular stateroom or a single stateroom? Like :

29 minutes ago, susancruzs said:

I'm in my 70's (60s), might not cruise much longer so if I want a certain cruise, I pay.

13 minutes ago, Ombud said:

In a regular stateroom or a single stateroom? Like :

I sailed HAL several years ago to Antarctica and South America.  The single supplement in a "regular" stateroom was something like 50%, so it was relatively reasonable.  I am not sure there is a consistency though.

Edited by frugaltravel

The question is: are these regular size staterooms?

I see that FrugalTraveler update to say it was a regular room so I went to check and found this:

Screenshot_20200413-110719_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2249943bfd3262e17ac67f2964c6ef1b.jpg

Not for me 😒

Edited by Ombud
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Ombud said:

The question is: are these regular size staterooms?

I see that FrugalTraveler update to say it was a regular room so I went to check and found this:

Screenshot_20200413-110719_Chrome.thumb.jpg.2249943bfd3262e17ac67f2964c6ef1b.jpg

Not for me 😒

HAL does not have these. I had a regular room, I did inside GTY & got OV. For 10 day Europe I paid about 15% more for single supplement. I booked in May for a late July cruise.

• Like 1

Royal Caribbean was 15% in the 1990's, sailed with them quite a few times, Alaska, Panama Canal, longer cruises couldn't beat the price.  Princess couldn't even come close to their rates, which is why I  made diamond level with RCI, as well as Elite with Princess.

It sounds as if cruise lines may be cutting their passenger count in the future. Whether this means a better deal for singles or simply more expensive all around remains to be seen.

A few years ago, the Carnival Imagination charged only single fare for singles. Married couples were booking 2 cabins so they would have 2 bathrooms. This is one of the reasons why you are paying double. Because of selfish people.

19 minutes ago, Sillyjilly said:

A few years ago, the Carnival Imagination charged only single fare for singles. Married couples were booking 2 cabins so they would have 2 bathrooms. This is one of the reasons why you are paying double. Because of selfish people.

Wow. People boggle the mind. If there's a good deal you can be sure people will abuse it until it goes away.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thrak said:

Wow. People boggle the mind. If there's a good deal you can be sure people will abuse it until it goes away.

I know people who did this on Regent Cruise lines after 9-11. They would "entertain in one cabin and use the other for living".

3 hours ago, frugaltravel said:

I think you are showing your age 😀

Thanks for pointing that out! 😞 

I started cruising young. Not as young as all of those kids who turn Elite before they are 18. Let's just say I was in my 20's 🙂 .

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Coral said:

Thanks for pointing that out! 😞 

I started cruising young. Not as young as all of those kids who turn Elite before they are 18. Let's just say I was in my 20's 🙂 .

Lol. You are probably still younger than me 😀😀

7 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Lol. You are probably still younger than me 😀😀

I was supposed to be on a ship for a big birthday this month. I had no idea it would be cancelled due to a pandemic. Not in my wildest dreams.

11 hours ago, oskidunker said:

Normally the rate is the same for one or two. 200% surcharge for one. Dont understand original post. 

IMHO the OP was pointing out that the BEST VALUE PRICE may not be worth it for solos. Once you get 2× the wifi, drinks, and tips you might (probably) be better off to pay those separately. After all I can get wifi & gratuities for $158 a week, drinks are another matter. It's all about doing the math