US pauses cruising for 30 days

gphb

"At my request, effective midnight tonight, Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and MSC have all agreed to suspend outbound cruises for thirty days. It is a great and important industry – it will be kept that way!"  POTUS

15 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

I see a certain brand name missing there...……  

I think he is referencing the corporate parent umbrella - for NCLH and RCI itheir announcements covered ALL brands in the portfolio sailing from US ports, cannot see why Carnival Corp would be any different.  As individual brands within Carnival Corp, HAL and Carnival Cruises are both notoriously slow in communicating things to consumers

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Unfortunately attacking the virus that is already in the U.S. should be more important than closing all borders, land, sea and air.  Nice try POTUS, but no cigar.  Captain Jonathan Mercer, captain on the current HAL WC yesterday said that they will continue their course, and go to ports that will welcome them.  I hope that this will be what happens.  Cherie   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Not sure why Carnival and HAL are keeping quiet about it....

They are both notoriously slow at getting communication out.  I get the sense that their corporate offices are not very well organized on a "normal" day let alone in a time of crisis

2 minutes ago, neuronbob said:

Well.  This sucks.  I’ll have to call in to reschedule.  It’s for the greater good, but still disappointing now that it’s here.

Hold off on calling - the phone agents will most likely know nothing.  All bookings will be cancelled full stop, not changed to a new sail date.  Wait for HAL to notify you of the cancellation/compensation policy, which may take a few days knowing them

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

They are both notoriously slow at getting communication out.  I get the sense that their corporate offices are not very well organized on a "normal" day let alone in a time of crisis

I imagine they are working hard to figure out what to do. POTUS announced this 30 day closure, but then what? HAL especially has a heavy load of Alaska and Eastern Canada cruises upcoming impacted by Canada'a announcement today that their ports will be closed until July 1. Do they redeploy ships elsewhere or just park them and for how long? Hopefully we'll get a well thought out comprehensive response soon.