Refund Status for canceled cruises: Retitled after merges

lahore

After 30 days of waiting I am beyond frustrated with Princess and I am concerned that they will not give out the promised refunds because I think they may be in too much trouble.  I can’t prove that is the case....it’s my fear based on the extremely small numbers saying they have had refunds.  It Princess was working on refunds over the past 30 days wouldn’t more people have them by now?  Something seems wrong as the volume of refunds does not seem to be a plausible explanation.

I feel I should go the route of disputing the cost of cruise and excursions with my credit card company.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this and has gotten their money back.  How long did it take?

On 4/8/2020 at 8:54 PM, Steelers36 said:

This thread certainly seems to be living up to the literal name of this website (Cruise Critic).  Call me naive or flame me, but I think many posters here seem to be a bit unreasonable (I only looked this page and the previous one).  

So far, Princess has stepped up and done more than I would have imagined for passengers stuck on ships, for cancelled cruises, etc.  (I realize that in some cases, they were forced into a process, so don't go there).  They are acting concerned and appear to also be acting diligently.  I think Jan Swarz has struck the right tone.  No doubt a lot of the same resources that might review and confirm complex refund situations may also have been involved in getting people home.  

Princess set a refund standard - sure it was a long one, but under circumstances maybe not that terrible.  IDK if most people ready to - or already done it - call banks and create a charge dispute are afraid of insolvency, or just want money back they wouldn't otherwise have had if travel proceeded.  Do you all realize you are simply creating MORE work and expense for Princess because every dispute with a vendor charge creates a case that the bank has to file to the vendor?  Then the vendor has to check into it to see if legit and respond to the bank again.  It wouldn't surprise me if there are not extra service charges and expense involved to the vendor.  Someone wrote the credit card companies, or banks, are bending over to help people.  Sure - they can reap in more fees as I am thinking a disputed charge-back might come with something like we would get as a NSF charge.  You are creating more work for Princess team and slowing down refunds at the same time.

And those who write that this slow service is making them dump CCL brands next time, well I'd be curious to know if RCL brands, for example, are getting people refunds any quicker or treating guests any better.  IDK as I am not using other brands.  But who are you going to sail with next time that you think can do better? 

So, call me a Princess cheerleader if you like.  I don't work for them.  I am both a customer and a shareholder and I want them to get over this contagion and come back new - both as a cruiser and an investor.  I have an upcoming cruise later this year that could very well be in danger and we will have decisions to make in terms of making FP or not.  But I see no reason at this time to pile anymore hurt on this company. 

I think all of the cruise lines are struggling with refunds right now.  Just look at the other forums on Cruise Critic, all of the lines are having problems.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Carnevale said:

After 30 days of waiting I am beyond frustrated with Princess and I am concerned that they will not give out the promised refunds because I think they may be in too much trouble.  I can’t prove that is the case....it’s my fear based on the extremely small numbers saying they have had refunds.  It Princess was working on refunds over the past 30 days wouldn’t more people have them by now?  Something seems wrong as the volume of refunds does not seem to be a plausible explanation.

I feel I should go the route of disputing the cost of cruise and excursions with my credit card company.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this and has gotten their money back.  How long did it take?

I have a dispute pending.  Under the terms of the Cruise Contract I am due a full refund less 200 dollars. The case shows in progress - to be resolved by Jun 28th.  Although the credit is in the account, it is best to ignore it until the dispute is finalized. 

Edited by susantx3

We were denied boarding the Sun Princess on 10th March 2020 because we’d been through Singapore 19 days earlier.  Following this our cruise on the Golden Princess from Melbourne was also cancelled when operations closed down completely.  I have been waiting patiently for my refund/FCC.  A couple of days ago my £75 FCC and a credit for the Crown Grill cover charge appeared in my Captains Circle and I was hopeful that my refund was being processed but it seems not.  I’m now more concerned because why wouldn’t you deal with everything at the same time?  To be honest we could do with the money as we stayed in Australia and did many of the things we would have done on the cruise but had to pay for them again.  I also paid the £35 pppd drinks/gratuity package for both cruises and for a number of excursions.  I haven’t even got this back.  I know some people are saying be patient but perhaps they are richer than me.

• Like 2

The refund will be issued on the card that was used to make a purchase. The refund will not be issued anywhere else thats for sure. There was a thread a few day ago where some guy wanted the refund to be put on his debit card while the purchase was made by a credit card. And as I said in that thread, the thing is that banks dont want you to cash out your credit cards by such operation. Banks wont authrize it 

On 4/8/2020 at 6:46 PM, Daniel A said:

Just curious, are you out of work or just using the misfortune of others who are to enhance your bargaining position?  

I posted this the other day about my conversation with a Princess rep: "I told him that a lot of people on cruise critic are upset about this because some people are out of work and they need that money. His response " I don't care what people on cruise critic think"

Notice I never said to the rep that I needed the money. But this person, Daniel, turned it into a personal attack towards me. So yesterday I showed it to my husband and he said that I should answer his question. So I am.

No, I am not out of work because I work in private healthcare. We have not stopped working so patients can come to our office instead of going to the ER overwhelming the hospitals. Not all patients can be seen using telemedicine. Everyone working in healthcare is under a lot of stress because we are putting our lives on the line every single day.

So please take a break and don't insult anyone. You never know what someone else is going through. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. At least for the time being. Thank you. Everyone, if you can, Stay Safe at Home! 

Edited by travellovers2
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, travellovers2 said:

I posted this the other day about my conversation with a Princess rep: "I told him that a lot of people on cruise critic are upset about this because some people are out of work and they need that money. His response " I don't care what people on cruise critic think"

Notice I never said to the rep that I needed the money. But this person, Daniel, turned it into a personal attack towards me. So yesterday I showed it to my husband and he said that I should answer his question. So I am.

No, I am not out of work because I work in private healthcare. We have not stopped working so patients can come to our office instead of going to the ER overwhelming the hospitals. Not all patients can be seen using telemedicine. Everyone working in healthcare is under a lot of stress because we are putting our lives on the line every single day.

So please take a break and don't insult anyone. You never know what someone else is going through. If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all. At least for the time being. Thank you. Everyone, if you can, Stay Safe at Home! 

Thank you for all you do for others. Stay safe. 

March 15th cruise was canceled on March 12th by Princess. We chose option 2--100% refund, 100% FCC. We've received 50% FCC and no refund. I don't know if more FCC is coming or if there's a mistake. I guess I'll have to break down and call. 

7 minutes ago, cvoorheis said:

March 15th cruise was canceled on March 12th by Princess. We chose option 2--100% refund, 100% FCC. We've received 50% FCC and no refund. I don't know if more FCC is coming or if there's a mistake. I guess I'll have to break down and call. 

My guess is they will tell you to wait it out. I think they are in the very beginning of the process.

Welcome to CC.

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, cvoorheis said:

Not sure of the specifics of your booking, but, just in case ...

Your FCC will be in the amount of the cruise fare alone, excluding taxes and fees.

Also, if you see an FCC under your own log on, be sure to check the other passenger’s log on as well.  The FCCs are distributed to each passenger, so it may just be that they are under your cabin mate’s log in.  Not sure exactly how they are handling things but, I’ve heard it has been done this way in the past.  It might save you a phone call.  

10 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Not sure of the specifics of your booking, but, just in case ...

Your FCC will be in the amount of the cruise fare alone, excluding taxes and fees.

Also, if you see an FCC under your own log on, be sure to check the other passenger’s log on as well.  The FCCs are distributed to each passenger, so it may just be that they are under your cabin mate’s log in.  Not sure exactly how they are handling things but, I’ve heard it has been done this way in the past.  It might save you a phone call.  

Thanks...the FCC is 50% of the cruise fare. I thought there might be another 50% assigned to my husband somewhere but he doesn't have a separate login as far as I know. I guess I can try and create an account for him. I'll look in to it. Thanks for the help! 

1 hour ago, cvoorheis said:

Thanks...the FCC is 50% of the cruise fare. I thought there might be another 50% assigned to my husband somewhere but he doesn't have a separate login as far as I know. I guess I can try and create an account for him. I'll look in to it. Thanks for the help! 

You already knew that ... I just wasn't sure as it was your first post here.  

And yes, create an account under your husband's captain's circle number.  I know that for certain things, mine and my husbands have different credits posted.  Hopefully, it is there.  

7 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

You already knew that ... I just wasn't sure as it was your first post here.  

And yes, create an account under your husband's captain's circle number.  I know that for certain things, mine and my husbands have different credits posted.  Hopefully, it is there.  

Found it by creating an account for him! Probably would have found it without creating an account when I rebooked and put in his guest information. Now I just wait for the refund. Thanks again! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cvoorheis said:

Found it by creating an account for him! Probably would have found it without creating an account when I rebooked and put in his guest information. Now I just wait for the refund. Thanks again! 

I'm so glad that worked out for you.  And yes, we are all in the same boat awaiting the refunds.  I have a cruise booked for a month from now that I know they will have to cancel ... but they are dragging their feet.  They can't even get started on that refund as they have to cancel it.  

10 hours ago, travelhound said:

I think all of the cruise lines are struggling with refunds right now.  Just look at the other forums on Cruise Critic, all of the lines are having problems.

I have an Alaskan cruise on Princess for September, and a Disney Bahamas cruise booked for later in the fall. I canceled my Disney cruise on April 4. I received the refund today, only 6 days later. 

2 hours ago, linaka625 said:

I have an Alaskan cruise on Princess for September, and a Disney Bahamas cruise booked for later in the fall. I canceled my Disney cruise on April 4. I received the refund today, only 6 days later. 

Wow.  I, like many others, am 30 days post-cancellation of my cruise and nothing.

2 hours ago, linaka625 said:

Yup, but Disney is not exclusively a cruise line.  They have other sources of revenue.  I also noticed that some people who canceled before the cruise lines canceled, received refunds.  Overall the refund process has been very chaotic and inconsistent.  Hopefully all of the cruise lines will be able to make good on the refunds, as soon as they have a better understanding of when they can resume operating.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Carnevale said:

I am usually on the Celebrity board, but I'm looking at a Princess cruise next year (hopefully).

So this wlll pertain to Celebrity Edge.

This cruise was cancelled by Celebrity and I immediately clicked on the link asking for a refund.  The link said an email would follow, but it did not....not for me or for anyone else.

I then read that some credit cards have a 100 day limit to dispute charges.  I quickly added backwards and found I was at the 94 day mark.  I didn't know if BOA had this rule or not, but decided I would have dh dispute this (he's calmer than I, I find I get too nervous doing this sort of thing.).

So last Saturday ......3 weeks after cancellation he called and disputed it.

They asked for the cruise, date of charge, and amount.  We told them Celebrity had cancelled the cruise and we wanted a refund.

Easy/peasy.

The credit appeared on our account   THE NEXT DAY!😁

It had the notification RESOLVED.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We had 2 B2B cruises booked, totalling 42 days.   We paid using 3 credit cards, due to the amount and some special promotions on 2 of the cards.  I always thought you had 60 days to dispute, but I called all 3 cards today and learned that this is not the case, and that credit card companies have varying policies:

Bank of America: No limit, but after 60 days cannot be done online

Citi Double Cash: 6 months from date of charge

Capital One: 190 days from date of charge

I have decided to wait another 30 days.  That will be the 60 days that Princess "promised".  If nothing by then, I will dispute the charges.

• Like 1

Carnival Corp, the world’s largest cruise operator, said it has raised $6.25 billion by issuing new debt and equity on Wednesday, April 1, borrowing at a high cost to weather the economic storm of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Carnival priced $4 billion in bonds maturing in 2023 - upsized from the $3 billion originally planned - with a yield at par value of 11.5%, it said in a statement. The company also raised $1.75 billion in convertible notes with a 5.75% coupon.

Beyond the bond issues, Carnival also issued new stock to raise $500 million, less than the $1.25 billion it was targeting. The issue was priced at $8 per share. Carnival Shares were listed at $8.80 per share on the day of the new issue.

Carnival Corp's balance sheet said they had $1.35 Billion on hand on February 29, 2020.

Carnival must have a high burn rate to be needing to raise so much cash.

And, NO I have not received my deposit refund which I cancelled over over a month ago for a final payment date of June 5.

18 minutes ago, LDVinNC said:

We had 2 B2B cruises booked, totalling 42 days.   We paid using 3 credit cards, due to the amount and some special promotions on 2 of the cards.  I always thought you had 60 days to dispute, but I called all 3 cards today and learned that this is not the case, and that credit card companies have varying policies:

I have decided to wait another 30 days.  That will be the 60 days that Princess "promised".  If nothing by then, I will dispute the charges.

We paid our final balance last year and are beyond the dispute date.  That said, I am okay with waiting, since we will probably use the refund and FCC for a booking next winter.  Carnival also is in a good position, in terms of liquidity, to survive this crisis. 

Edited by travelhound

1 hour ago, LDVinNC said:

Glad to see Citi Double cash was 6 months as I tried for a couple of hours to get through to them on the phone or to respond in chat at 5:00AM. We could have waited a while longer, but just decided not to. We disputed the charge online I think it was Tuesday or Wednesday, and it was credited back to our card this morning as conditional. Part of that may be due to our sailing was 4/18, and not already past. 

Princess has had our full fare since late December, our cruise would have sailed last week on March 29 and of course was cancelled in early March, we should have had a refund by now unless Princess is having financial problems. 

I'm hoping that the lines have seen the errors of their ways as  they have made built way too many ships with way too many passengers. In all of this the thing that has enraged me more than anything was keeping some ships that were on long cruises still out at sea. As soon as Princess decided to suspend operations every ship should have been called back to their original port of departure.

Edited by MISTER 67
  • Like 1