Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

1 minute ago, Blackduck59 said:

Ever the ray of sunshine🤔

Maybe... but none of my CV-19 predictions have been wrong so far. ☹️

Like you, I really want my predictions to be wrong - but CV-19 is still on the rise.  Cruising isn't going to re-start until we have a vaccine (which may or may not ever exist), or the disease burns itself out.  Neither looks like happening in time for the 20/21 cruising season, and even the 21/22 season would require a world speed record in vaccine testing & approval.

Personally I think hanging the entire world's economy on the off chance that there may be a vaccine is a fools errand. We need to figure out how to effectively treat the disease because an effective vaccine may never happen. We need to move forward, mitigate the risk as much as possible and find a way to live a "normal" life going forward.

Full stop until there is a vaccine is just a route to full stop and the breaker's yard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chiliburn said:

So what are your thoughts about the coming season mic,will it happen?

I’m a optimist but I’m not so sure it will happen now . If there’s a few more outbreaks and I think we can give up.

I am sure the aged care homes will remain in their lockdown until after the 2nd wave.

43 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Personally I think hanging the entire world's economy on the off chance that there may be a vaccine is a fools errand. We need to figure out how to effectively treat the disease because an effective vaccine may never happen. We need to move forward, mitigate the risk as much as possible and find a way to live a "normal" life going forward.

Full stop until there is a vaccine is just a route to full stop and the breaker's yard.

Speaking of diseases,your old mate rod popped up there Lyle  .

Would you like him to come and visit you ? I don’t think there’s a vaccine though.LOL

Edited by Chiliburn

4 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Speaking of diseases,your old mate rod popped up there Lyle  .

Would you like him to come and visit you ? I don’t think there’s a vaccine though.LOL

Weren't we wondering about him a few days ago? I thought he maybe fell out of his tinny and was now living the movie Castaway, oh well.

5 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Personally I think hanging the entire world's economy on the off chance that there may be a vaccine is a fools errand.

I don’t think Moderna, AstraZeneca & OVG (Oxford Uni) or our own Qld Uni among just a few would agree with you there - personally I think there will be a vaccine by the new year 🤫

If I ran a TAB I could run a book on dates and see how we all went and who came closest to guessing the correct date and wins the “virtual” pot ...... what do you think?

25 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

I don’t think Moderna

I would count Moderna out of the tab. RNA vaccines have never succeeded in humans before I would be surprised a virus we know so little about will be the one to make this technology work🙄. I would bet on the adjuvants vaccines😉

You should check out SBS Insight, they were interviewing a scientist who is part of the team looking for a SARS-CoV-2 vaccine. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

Just now, By The Bay said:

I have a cruise booked for October 21, so I hope you are right.😁

Hopefully, it start earlier. But I just can't see it. This latest set back in Victoria. Plus Australian citizens so slow to come home. They should have been ordered home weeks ago. Otherwise stay where you are.

Panic hoarding buying started again in Melbourne suburbs. Hasn't hit Ballarat yet. But I haven't been out of my house for a couple of days. I work from home and I go once out for shopping on Wednesday morning 7 am and sometimes Saturday we go for a drive out in the country  away from people so I can get out of the house and get some fresh air and stretch my legs. 

• Like 2

Also Alan Joyce made some comments regarding international flights

• Qantas CEO Alan Joyce said most overseas flights are cancelled until mid-2021
  • A travel bubble between Australia and New Zealand was set to start next month
  • Scheduled flights 'crossing the ditch' to NZ until September will still go ahead 
  • After this, Qantas will run a skeleton international service until July next year
  • It comes after the airline announced it was slashing 20 per cent of its workforce

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8458027/Qantas-warns-trans-Tasman-bubble-wont-happen-2021-international-destinations-cards.html

Edited by icat2000

11 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

Hopefully, it start earlier. But I just can't see it. This latest set back in Victoria. Plus Australian citizens so slow to come home. They should have been ordered home weeks ago. Otherwise stay where you are.

From what I've read a lot of the people coming back now aren't people who were stranded by the pandemic, they are Australian citizens/residents who have been living and working overseas for some years but who have decided that it will be safer to come back here than to stay where they were.

Although I can understand their feelings I don't think it's fair that they are getting their quarantine free and also potentially putting locals at risk if the quarantine is breached in any way - which appears to have happened at two Melbourne quarantine hotels. 

• Like 2

Hopefully once travel starts there will be a greater understanding about infection identification at borders and plans to deal with it.

A lot of learning as we go at present and decisions and plans implemented that have led to other issues.

Also clarification about time frames around incubation and transmission.  

Meanwhile would be happy to cruise and stay on board if necessary.  

4 hours ago, Porky55 said:

I don’t think Moderna, AstraZeneca & OVG (Oxford Uni) or our own Qld Uni among just a few would agree with you there - personally I think there will be a vaccine by the new year 🤫

If I ran a TAB I could run a book on dates and see how we all went and who came closest to guessing the correct date and wins the “virtual” pot ...... what do you think?

I think you took my meaning a little out of context, what I meant is, many people are saying everything should stay in limbo until there is a vaccine. My point was we need to find a way of living around this thing should an effective vaccine not materialize.

• Like 1

Well, I'm being hopeful that cruising will start next year. We're booked on Pacific Princess up to Yokohama next April. I just booked flights back through Princess EzAir. No payment required up front. China Airlines had an amazing business class deal, incredibly cheap. So, fingers crossed, I might get to fly with them after all - we were booked to go to Europe with them this year but, of course, that was cancelled. Princess EzAir does make it very easy to book flights without worrying whether you'll get a refund from the airline if travel is still banned. By the time final payment date comes around we should have a clearer picture of what is happening with cruising etc. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

I think you took my meaning a little out of context, what I meant is, many people are saying everything should stay in limbo until there is a vaccine. My point was we need to find a way of living around this thing should an effective vaccine not materialize.

I totally agree with this too, and I’m sure that it is possible the same way we have learnt to live with so many other epidemics over the years.
But, if you were to guess on a date for a vaccine, hypothetically ? ...........

Porky 55, I'm afraid I wouldn't want to guess, if WHO is suggesting a vaccine "within the year" as Mic has pointed out then that may be reason for optimism. I just hope that the world doesn't sit on there hands waiting for it, because it may not happen

I don’t think that is what the WHO boss actually said. There is still considerable doubt over the actual development of an effective vaccine.

It is not certain that scientists will be able to create an effective vaccine against the coronavirus, the head of the World Health Organisation has said.

Speaking by video-conference to deputies from the European Parliament's health committee, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that if such a vaccine became a reality it could take a year. (From The Age)

Edited by Docker123