Do People Overseas Have to Come Back Immediately

donaldsc

I am thinking that if I were overseas in a country with a low Corona count and no requirement to quarantine, I would stay there for a while and come down when the rush that we have seen at the airports has calmed down.  I was talking about this with someone today and they said that we Americans have a 3 day window to get home and then we will not be able to come back.  Is this true?  I realize that with the cancellation of most flights from Europe, how I get home from Europe might be a problem but ignoring this, was the person's comment about the 3 day window correct?

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I am thinking that if I were overseas in a country with a low Corona count and no requirement to quarantine, I would stay there for a while and come down when the rush that we have seen at the airports has calmed down.  I was talking about this with someone today and they said that we Americans have a 3 day window to get home and then we will not be able to come back.  Is this true?  I realize that with the cancellation of most flights from Europe, how I get home from Europe might be a problem but ignoring this, was the person's comment about the 3 day window correct?

DON

If the person was claiming that foreign governments have given US citizens three days to get out,  then no the comment is not correct.  The problem will be no available flights

Definitely no requirement. I know several US citizens living around the world, including in Europe and China, and they're staying put  for the most part because...well, that's their home for now. For example, one of my best friends is currently on a five-year assignment in Europe, and he and his husband are certainly staying put. There's no need for them to come back to the US at this time, and nobody is making them. 

(They do own a house in a US, but it's being rented out during their time in Europe, so they'd really have no place to "come home to" even if they wanted to)

Edited by Zach1213

The Canadian government has issued the same request to its citizens who are outside of the country.  It is a request not a requirement.  They aren't going to come and get you and there are no consequences if you don't drop everything and come home. Depending on the circumstances it might be preferable to secure in place than be in close proximity to thousands of people at airports and risk several hours in the close confines of an aircraft.   

The US is not requiring you to come home. In fact encouraging travel would be stupid.  (not that the government is immune from doing stupid things) There could be the issue of your visa expiring.  I doubt any country is kicking people out over the disease.  Not letting people in — absolutely. Throwing people out - no.  

But make sure you have a very good travel health insurance in case you need it.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 2:50 AM, donaldsc said:

I was talking about this with someone today and they said that we Americans have a 3 day window to get home and then we will not be able to come back.  Is this true? 

It's not true, but you may not find a flight to come back. It really depends on where you are.  

54 minutes ago, CPT Trips said:

I hope that the State Department will help those that traveled before the crisis and a stuck in places like Peru and Morocco where there are no commercial flights.

I heard in the news this morning that our military transport may be used to help the folks in Peru.  Don't know more than that.   

Here's what the Department of State advisory says:

"

The Department of State advises U.S. citizens to avoid all international travel due to the global impact of COVID-19.  In countries where commercial departure options remain available, U.S. citizens who live in the United States should arrange for immediate return to the United States, unless they are prepared to remain abroad for an indefinite period.  U.S. citizens who live abroad should avoid all international travel.  Many countries are experiencing COVID-19 outbreaks and implementing travel restrictions and mandatory quarantines, closing borders, and prohibiting non-citizens from entry with little advance notice.  Airlines have cancelled many international flights and several cruise operators have suspended operations or cancelled trips.  If you choose to travel internationally, your travel plans may be severely disrupted, and you may be forced to remain outside of the United States for an indefinite timeframe.

On March 14, the Department of State authorized the departure of U.S. personnel and family members from any diplomatic or consular post in the world who have determined they are at higher risk of a poor outcome if exposed to COVID-19 or who have requested departure based on a commensurate justification.  These departures may limit the ability of U.S. Embassies and consulates to provide services to U.S. citizens."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/travel-advisory-alert-global-level-4-health-advisory-issue.html

• Thanks 1

I read that a plane is coming into Morocco tomorrow to bring people back to the US. They must contact the embassy in advance, obtain an email authorizing them to board, and sign a promissory note for about $1,500. No one without the authorizing email will be allowed to board.