for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

15 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I have to wait on more month to get my 2nd shingles shot.  Beware - my pharmacist told me it's the 2nd shot that makes people sick and to just be prepared. 

The chicken chili is sooo easy to make, don't even have a recipe.   A box of chicken broth, 2 cans white beans (I use cannellini ),  a can of sweet corn, a can of diced green chiles (mild or medium, your choice), a chopped up onion and the amount of shredded chicken you want and whatever spices you usually put in your chili or soups (I use ground cumin and coriander, some oregano, pepper).  sautè up the onion, add the chiles and spices,  then dump in the beans & corn and then the broth.  No set time to cook it all, but usually I do about 30 minutes.  When I put it in my bowl, I add some sour cream.   Great for a gray, snowy day!!

Sherri - have fun in JAX.  The beach in Satellite Beach is getting pounded.  The unlucky combination of the moon, high tides, tropical storm and that SB voted against beach restoration last year made it nasty.  My friend in Cocoa Beach told me about the beach vote - I guess CB voted for their beach restoration,  

The beaches in Brevard County were pretty torn up after hurricane Irma.  The Satellite Beach area received a million dollar grant from the federal government for restoration.  It took almost 8 months and within a few months of completion, the ocean had reclaimed quite a bit.  I don’t know of any voting that was done in SB?

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

The beaches in Brevard County were pretty torn up after hurricane Irma.  The Satellite Beach area received a million dollar grant from the federal government for restoration.  It took almost 8 months and within a few months of completion, the ocean had reclaimed quite a bit.  I don’t know of any voting that was done in SB?

Sherri🙂

I heard that from my CB friend.  So, can't verify.

Got photos from the 4th Street Filling Station in CB - a big piece of their front "gas station" canopy collapsed.  And, at least one window at Gregory's restaurant was blown out.  Oh, and the sign at the local "gentlemen's club" was torn apart.  Lori Wilson Park beach up at Canaveral was beaten up badly.  

We got a few inches of new snow overnight.  Ugh.  I do have to go out and shovel the driveway this time as it's only going to be in the mid 20s today and down to single digits overnight.  At least it's sunny.

Fun fashion:  I had some credits at Just Fab so I decided to go winter boot shopping.  There was a pair of light pink knee-high "fur" boots.  I figured, what the heck, I can wear them to get coffee.  They came today, They are so fun!!!  I wouldn't wear them out on the town 'cause I'd look like a West Coast Tourist, but with my hippie fur kimono and a pair of black leggings, they will bring a smile to my face!  What can I say??  I  look like a hippie with pink Sasquatch legs!!!  It could be a prime Sundance outfit, though 😸

I went to the TJ's website last night to see what new things were around.  Oh my.  I made a shopping list and IF everything was available and I bought, it could very well be a "holy cr@p" receipt.  

OOTD:  Woolx leggings and a long-sleeve T.  Will put on my Sweaty Beatty pink camo fleece jacket (oh, wait - it would be PERFECT with the new pink boots) and a pair of "shoveling snow" boots, 

• Like 2

Got home today about 2pm, no apparent damage to our condo but some damage here and there , more than when Ian came through.  The condos next to us appear to have lost most of thier beach and damage to their sea wall but our beach looks untouched.  Will have to see what it looks like when the tide goes out.

Kat, your boots sound like a fun addition!

Sherri 🙂

• Like 3

Photo of the boots below,.  NOTE:  I'd NEVER go out in public with this combo of leggings & boots!  The leggings are one of my "hanging around the house" pair.  Well, maybe one day for Sundance 😹

Good to hear you escaped relatively unscathed Sherri!  Saw some bad photos of places up in Daytona Beach where the beach and barrier was destroyed and places were hanging off the edge of the erosion.  It's amazing what damage even a "little" Cat 1 or Tropical Storm can do.

I'll call it cold this morning.  Got down to 1 overnight and it's now 14 at 10am.  At least it's sunny.

3rmm+w5UQU+Vv7gup6nhrA.jpg

• Like 3

@slidergirl You rock that look!!  Oh and by the way, did you hear the flap about Stanley Tucci's how to make a Negroni instagram post?  Apparently there are rumors going around that he is very sexy in it. Dunno; for me I just like his food panache....

My sister and BIL are sailing out of Fort Lauderdale today, they were a bit anxious waiting around to be sure the port would be open and the ship would be there, but I think their timing was very lucky.

I am finishing up some stuff in the fridge and pantry in preparation for going to Trader Joes' this weekend, lol.  I defrosted some tomato soup made earlier and then made myself a sort of panini with various odds and ends of cheese and salami. Pretty tasty and was satisfying on a cool, rainy day.

• Like 2

How cute those boots are! Have fun with them, Kat.  

Sherri, good to hear that your condo is ok. Fingers crossed that your kitchen is finished on time.

Lois, hope your condo is ok. I know you are not on the beach  but hope the wind didn’t cause you any damage.

I have watched waaaay too much election reporting. Cynthia, I get your point. Just hope the final results are worth waiting for. AZ and NV also pending and could be for several days. There is one assembly race in the county where my sister lives that is also a cliffhanger. So I’m watching that too.  Oh wait, maybe I need to just stop watching ALL of it🙀 

Our rain is over for now. Lots of snow in the mountains. One ski resort opening this weekend. Really early for them. We decided to take a drive and stopped in Mariposa which is not far from Yosemite Saw a few patches of snow on the side of the highway but that’s it. Found a really nice shop as we entered Mariposa.Did a bit of damage there-Christmas that is.Other than that, we just wandered around. Weather was sunny and in the 50’s.

I looked at TJ’s latest flyer and saw so many yummy things. So, if as you mentioned, Kat, all are available, it will be a OMG moment at the register. Although it might not be so bad if, after I check the nutrition labels, I pass on some things. 
Sharon

• Like 2

Cynthia - was that the one where Stanley "broke the Internet" with his negroni video?  I saw that one.  Seemed that he and the wifey had already partaken of some adult beverages.  I will say the black polo fit him perfectly...

Melody - you were looking for new tableware right?  Just to let you know, Our Place has already started their "Black Friday" sale.

My TJ's list is extensive, but decently low in carbs.  If you didn't know, if you go to the "Products" tab on the website instead of at the Frequent Flyer, at the bottom of the item description there is usually the nutritional label.  This is also my getting panty items stocked since I'm starting work on Dec 2 and need to have some stuff to be able to put together a quick meal in the 2.5 hours I'll have between getting home and going to bed.  The things I'm really interested in are the Syrah Tocano Cheese dip and the Unexpected Cheddar dip, the cranberry chèvre cheese, and the organic Maple Vinegarette dressing.  

• Like 1

Glad the gals in FL are ok. Im refusing to watch any news. 

just found out today that I have to have my foot fused after the new year. Doc wanted to do it next week!  I said I have a cruise in 28 days & a grandson coming home for Christmas. Fit someone in that needs to have surgery before the end of the year. I’ll be non-weightbearing for at least 8 weeks. Stupid scooter time again 😢. Glad we don’t have a cruise scheduled for early 2023. Not looking forward to this at all, thought I was done, but have been having some major issues. 

at least I’ll have a nice walk-in shower Melody

F2171B8E-61D5-43B4-B17C-2953F89AC3EA.jpeg

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Glad the gals in FL are ok. Im refusing to watch any news. 

just found out today that I have to have my foot fused after the new year. Doc wanted to do it next week!  I said I have a cruise in 28 days & a grandson coming home for Christmas. Fit someone in that needs to have surgery before the end of the year. I’ll be non-weightbearing for at least 8 weeks. Stupid scooter time again 😢. Glad we don’t have a cruise scheduled for early 2023. Not looking forward to this at all, thought I was done, but have been having some major issues. 

at least I’ll have a nice walk-in shower Melody

F2171B8E-61D5-43B4-B17C-2953F89AC3EA.jpeg

Oh no, Melody. So sorry to hear this!!!  😢  At least you were able to defer it until after the holidays and your upcoming cruise...

• Like 1

@awhfy   Looking at your shower pic more closely, I love how you treated the window trim.  In the house I recently sold, I had a similar window in the tub/bath (old 1930s cottage) and had to replace the wood trim twice due to rotting. It looks like you have a tile or stone (?) trim -- what a great idea. Wish I'd thought of that!  (Too late now...)

• Like 1

A beautiful day here in Satellite Beach!  I was able to get down on the beach yesterday, most of the crossovers have been damaged and cannot be used but there is one at a beach just to our south that has been opened.  Totally different picture from down on the beach.  Most of the dunes have been eroded and will need repair.  Our beach access looks undamaged when you are looking from our balcony but when down on the beach, it is apparent the  stairs going down are missing.  The condos and homes that have damage were all built on top of the dunes which was prohibited back in the early 90’s.  One house,where the owners have been spending thousands of dollars since 2011 trying  to stabilize their dunes to no avail, looks like it is about ready to fall onto the beach.  It will take years to fix things.

Melody, the shower looks great!  Sorry to read you have to have another foot surgery, at least you are able to put it off until after Christmas.  You can enjoy your cruise and your grandson!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Woke up to snow & 10 degrees!!  

Yep, it's that time of year for both of us.   7 degrees overnight and 14 degrees at 10:30.   At least there should be no snow for either of us for a few more days, just partly/mostly cloudy.

Sucks about your foot.  May I ask what the issue is?  I'm having more and more issues with my ankle that was damaged when I shattered my leg in 2007.   At least you are able to wait until all the holiday activities and cruises to get it fixed.   

I like the shower, especially the lighting in the shower.  Was the light fixture always on the side or did you move from the ceiling (where all mine have been).  I do like the tiling, too.  I like the big slabs you have - always looks so much cleaner than tiles with the caulking in between them.

Sherri - apparently beaches got hit pretty bad with erosion.  Cocoa Beach folks are singing the praises of their dunes with the sea oats plantings as it kept most of any damage away.  I saw some photos one person posted of a property at Flagler Beach - the street is totally covered in sand and the mailbox stand is covered up to the box.  

I'm still watching the Below Deck marathon because I don't want to see any news.  I hear all I care to hear on BBC overnight before I go to sleep.

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

@awhfy   Looking at your shower pic more closely, I love how you treated the window trim.  In the house I recently sold, I had a similar window in the tub/bath (old 1930s cottage) and had to replace the wood trim twice due to rotting. It looks like you have a tile or stone (?) trim -- what a great idea. Wish I'd thought of that!  (Too late now...)

They suggested it & we agreed, it’s my favorite part of the bathroom. I’m wishing I’d done rain shower door  instead of clear but I like this

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, 10 degrees? YIKES😮

Melody, so sorry about your foot! I hope it will all be ok........

Is that photo a new bathroom? REALLY NICE😀

Yes, finally got it done after ordering in July. Worth the wait!!

9 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

This is a 1960s house. When they pulled the tub & tile the plumber looked at me & said you have zero water damage. I’ve been doing this 15 years & I’ve never seen zero water damage. 

• Like 2

Well I didn't get to Trader Joe's yesterday. I got caught up in a bout of housecleaning, lol.  You know how sometimes you get started doing something and it just escalates? (Yeah, I know -- it rarely happens with cleaning....). Maybe today. 

I keep getting teasers about Black Friday travel deals. I hope some of them turn out to be worthwhile -- I'm looking to book travel into 2024.  I have this feeling that prices for cruises are still relatively low (despite grumbles for some, I'm seeing low demand for some of the more itinerary-intensive ex-US types of cruises) and I want to book some things while prices look good as a hedge in case they go up.  It's tricky as a solo -- often "getting a good deal" depends less on a low base fare and more on a lowered solo supplement....and most lines don't tend to advertise those widely.

Anyone else thinking of future travels??

I could also use a new and larger TV in my condo living space. It's a bigger room than I had in my old house's "den".  Maybe another Black Friday look-for item.

• Like 1

Hi Cynthia, I am booked on a Caribbean cruise in January for 11 nights out of Ft. Lauderdale and am trying to decide what to do in the spring.  I want to do another river cruise but just haven't found "the one" (yet).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cynthia, I am booked on a Caribbean cruise in January for 11 nights out of Ft. Lauderdale and am trying to decide what to do in the spring.  I want to do another river cruise but just haven't found "the one" (yet).

I have a circumnavigation of Japan cruise (the "cherry blossom" one that's been rescheduled twice) next April, and an October cruise on Azamara in the Med that visits two places that have been on my list for a long time:  Pula (Croatia) with some lovely Roman remains, and Gythion (Greece) which is a gateway to get to Sparta.

I am flirting with booking something on Oceania, as I have discovered they now offer a (very) few solo rooms that have better pricing than their usual 200%.  They have one itinerary to Greenland and Iceland that appeals to me.  Hoping for some kind of additiona incentive over the Black Friday event....

• Like 1

Cynthia - I didn't get to TJ's either - my couchsurfing got in the way!!

You and Lois - travel wizards!  I was looking at cruises and, other than the 2 on Celebrity, nothing rang the bell for me.  After having as much time as I wanted in places this summer, only having maybe 6 hours in one place that takes extra travel time to/from just isn't making me salivate.  I think I have a case of severe Post Travel Syndrome.  Really interesting though - a single "sailor" rate on Virgin is actually not that bad.  But, it's definitely not my kind of ship.  Too bad. I'll keep an eye out for Black Friday, too.  

It might be a land vacation for 2023.  But, it's hard to decide.  Back to Italy and see more of what I haven't seen.  Up to Canada and maybe visit Atlantic Canada.  Over to Iceland and play total tourist.  If it's Italy, I have to decide really fast to lock down flights and some idea of where to go.  NOTE - if you are planning to be in Rome in September, be aware that the Ryder Cup (HUGE golf event) is being contested at one of the golf courses around Rome.  Accomodations are already getting scarce.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Well I didn't get to Trader Joe's yesterday. I got caught up in a bout of housecleaning, lol.  You know how sometimes you get started doing something and it just escalates? (Yeah, I know -- it rarely happens with cleaning....). Maybe today. 

I keep getting teasers about Black Friday travel deals. I hope some of them turn out to be worthwhile -- I'm looking to book travel into 2024.  I have this feeling that prices for cruises are still relatively low (despite grumbles for some, I'm seeing low demand for some of the more itinerary-intensive ex-US types of cruises) and I want to book some things while prices look good as a hedge in case they go up.  It's tricky as a solo -- often "getting a good deal" depends less on a low base fare and more on a lowered solo supplement....and most lines don't tend to advertise those widely.

Anyone else thinking of future travels??

I could also use a new and larger TV in my condo living space. It's a bigger room than I had in my old house's "den".  Maybe another Black Friday look-for item.

Costco already has a huge sale on TVs going on right now. We’re already booked for a b2b in 2024

Well, after my visit to my NP to see how my new diabetes med is working (A1C going down and lost 3 lbs after 3 weeks), I decided to head down to the Valley to have breakfast at one of my favorite spots and hit TJ's while I was there.  I can say that it was indeed a "HOLY CR@P" moment at the register.  They got in a bunch of their Christmas candy/cookies, so I stocked up on them (I give them to my co-workers, hair stylist) instead of waiting until next month.  Picked up the brined half turkey breast and I'll have it for Thanksgiving and make more chili and burritos afterwards.  I got the Maple salad dressing and all 3 of he cheeses/spreads that I wanted.  There were some things that weren't on the Flyer, but I had to get:  in the frozen section, eggplant sfogliatelle and Italian creme puffs, in the good bread section, olive fougasse.  So, now I have some memories of Italy and Provence.  I went to Whole Foods after that (!!!) to get my sparkling waters and to my delight, they had the peppermint candy whipped cream!  I put it in my coffee to make it festive.

OOTD:  my Pact cotton leggings, my big white heavy longsleeve Tshirt, my Patagonia down sweater.  It is only up to about 26 today...  

• Like 1