P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

11 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

That is correct the 1931 Census for England and Wales was destroyed by fire, the 1931 Scottish Census survived as stored elsewhere.

The next Census will be the 1951 Census due for release in January 2052. 

Looking forward to that!

• Like 2

I really enjoy family history.

I started in 2008, and did it for several years.  I used Ancestry at the time, and found it easy to use, and they had a good selection of information available. 

At the end of 2019, my husband decided that he wanted to trace his family history, and he signed up to Find My Past. I gave him quite a lot of help, as he's not a natural detective, and it got me back into the swing of research. I started looking at my family history again, and with the additional information that is now available online, I was able to solve some puzzles that had previously eluded me. 

During the lockdown this time last year, I found out why my Scottish great grandmother first came south, I found a marriage for my dad's cousin, and as a result of this traced a second cousin now living in Finland. Even more amazing for me, I was finally able to confirm the existence of my dad's sister, and as a result have traced a first cousin.

We also both signed up for the DNA testing. I find that I'm 40% Cornish, which still puzzles me, as I have traced no ancestors with Cornish roots. However, I was able to make contact with a second cousin on my mum's side of the family, who is related to a great Uncle that I knew well. Also, I've made contact with a distant cousin in Scotland, who has given me some help on the Scottish side of things. My husband was contacted by a third cousin in Australia.

I'd recommend Ancestry  and Find My Past equally, both are similar to use. As a Find My  Past subscriber, I was disappointed to find that I had to pay extra to see entries on the 1921 Census. However, I expect it will eventually be made available to subscribers, so I will just have to wait a bit longer, as it'd cost too much to view all the entries that I want.  

The 1939 Register, taken on the outbreak of WW2 is useful,  as it gives some information, such as address,  occupation and date of birth, especially as we won't have a 1931 and 1941 Census.

I will be nearly 92 when the 1951 Census comes out.... I wonder if I'll still be doing family history then! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mercury7289 said:

Michelle, I thought you could only view the 1921 census by signing up for a yearly subscription. then if you find something, they want as you say £2.50-3.50 a time. Not playing with them at this time.

Ancestry gave me everything I needed in terms of leads, then as a Canadian lady said, it's down to trawling the dead! Spent many hours in cemetery's and have been able to get many previously unknown family memorials, cleaned and repaired, Fascinating past time, touching on the Battle of Balaclava, one of the 600! The restructuring of Windsor Castle in the 1800s The Architect having been a partner in the family building business, also many family members being clergy in various parishes.

I could only see her name was on the census, it only told you her name was there then you had to pay more to see the transcript. I signed up for a yearly subscription but cancelled it 

Michelle 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, LynnForestgate said:

Disappointing to say the very least. 

I signed to Ansestary.com a few years ago and found family all over the world. Russia, Poland, Germany.

So many more people to avoid 🙂

Maybe they are thinking the same thing😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Glad to see the thread is still here. I did intend to post more over the weekend but we received tragic news on Saturday that Patrick’s 24 year old niece died. Think we’re still in shock, it happened so fast. Makes you put things into perspective. I’d resigned from my job on Friday too as I’m leaving the travel trade, but the excitement of that has been put in the background at the moment. 

I have a question for you P&O experts. Anyone who has had complimentary coach transfers included in the fare, have you just taken a one-way transfer?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

Glad to see the thread is still here. I did intend to post more over the weekend but we received tragic news on Saturday that Patrick’s 24 year old niece died. Think we’re still in shock, it happened so fast. Makes you put things into perspective. I’d resigned from my job on Friday too as I’m leaving the travel trade, but the excitement of that has been put in the background at the moment. 

I have a question for you P&O experts. Anyone who has had complimentary coach transfers included in the fare, have you just taken a one-way transfer?

Sorry to hear about Patricks loss . 24 year old is no age ,my condolences to the both of you .

Life can be so cruel at times ,just be there for each other at this sad time .

Also best wishes in your new career  what ever you decide all the best for the future .

Take care and keep safe .

• Like 7

15 minutes ago, peteukmcr said:

I'm sorry to hear your sad news about Patrick's niece.

Sending you both and her family and friends our sincere condolences.

Graham and Pauline.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

Sorry to hear your bad news.We just took a one way included coach transfer home from Southampton because we wanted to spend the night before the cruise in Southampton

• Like 2

1 hour ago, peteukmcr said:

Any life lost is bad news, a young person of 24 is tragic. Best wishes to all the family.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

So very sorry to read about Patrick’s niece. News like that puts everything into perspective.

Sending you my condolences.

Gill 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

So sorry to hear your sad news Pete, no age at all.

• Like 4

Talking of the childrens tv shows, John has spoken of the battery boy! I don’t remember it though.

Our grandson likes ‘In the Night Garden’ and just before it is the Clangers - he’s transfixed by it! 😄

Unfortunately I haven’t got our grandson today as his mum is still off work. Very disappointed as John is off today so I was looking forward to picking him up in the car and not struggling with the bus! 

In better news, we’ve booked a few days to Guernsey in June.

Have a good day all.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

So sorry to hear this Pete , my condolences to you and Patrick 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Talking of the childrens tv shows, John has spoken of the battery boy! I don’t remember it though.

Our grandson likes ‘In the Night Garden’ and just before it is the Clangers - he’s transfixed by it! 😄

Unfortunately I haven’t got our grandson today as his mum is still off work. Very disappointed as John is off today so I was looking forward to picking him up in the car and not struggling with the bus! 

In better news, we’ve booked a few days to Guernsey in June.

Have a good day all.

That will be nice for you both Sue.

2°C with frost on the car windscreen here.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, peteukmcr said:

So sorry to hear of the loss of Patrick's niece. Such a young life, very sad. My conolences to you and her family.

Avril

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

A few weeks ago when the 1921 census was released I signed up to Findmypast and didn't take out a subscription. I can only access basic census information and as others have said to see more detail you have to pay if you want more details.

I have read that this will be the last census release for 30 years due to the 1931 census being destroyed in a fire during the 2nd World War and the 1941 not taking place because of the war.

There is however a 1939 'census' on Ancestry, compiled on the outbreak of war. I accessed it recently.  I used Ancestry a great deal throughout lockdown as we had free access at home to the library edition. Used it to help me write a book on Georgian Weston.

23 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

So here is a question, what comes next? What innovation will become a commercial

Good morning everyone :classic_smile: I thought you may have had a better response to your question 

you posed last night @Eglesbrech.There is so many new innovations about ,driverless cars ,

planes that fly themselves . In fact I heard they are working on a passenger plane that is 

made of rubber and impossible to crash ! :classic_ohmy: The well known manufactures have decided 

to call it Boeing -Boeing - Boeing ...:classic_unsure::classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin: 

Have a good day and stay safe everyone :classic_love::classic_smile:

• Haha 10

43 minutes ago, Host Sharon said:

There is however a 1939 'census' on Ancestry, compiled on the outbreak of war. I accessed it recently.  I used Ancestry a great deal throughout lockdown as we had free access at home to the library edition. Used it to help me write a book on Georgian Weston.

I presume thar the 100 year rule doesn't apply to to the 1939 'census' then.

I had an email from Ancestry today with a 4 months for £20 offer, not sure if open to all.

I have no history of my mother or father. How good is the DNA research that is available on a few sites ? I assume Ancestry would be the best, being the biggest. I wouldn't want to stir up a hornets nest, especially as I know my father was an American officer, whose family wouldn't have a clue I exist because I was the result of celebrating the end of World War 11 , a one night stand you could say ! 

I had wonderful parents, who adopted me when I was eight months old and told me when I was very young, I can't remember being told, and all the family have  always treated me the same as anyone else, very fortunate.

I know I am asking people I don't know, but I wonder what the consensus is amongst you.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, bobstheboy said:

I have no history of my mother or father. How good is the DNA research that is available on a few sites ? I assume Ancestry would be the best, being the biggest. I wouldn't want to stir up a hornets nest, especially as I know my father was an American officer, whose family wouldn't have a clue I exist because I was the result of celebrating the end of World War 11 , a one night stand you could say ! 

I had wonderful parents, who adopted me when I was eight months old and told me when I was very young, I can't remember being told, and all the family have  always treated me the same as anyone else, very fortunate.

I know I am asking people I don't know, but I wonder what the consensus is amongst you.

You just pipped me with your post Bob.I was adopted at a few months old.My Mum was a 16 year old Irish catholic in Londons East end.The same area as call the midwife,s current storyline.I went thru the motions of tracing when I was in my 40s but stopped at the requirement of being counselled b4 full info is released.I haven't bothered since but have seen heart renching programmes of Mothers who had to give up their babies and no way of them contacting,especially in my case of the stigma attached in 1952.I'm always in tears when I see Davina Mccall reuniting families.As you said could be a hornets nest as she is probably dead now but I could still have half siblings.Cheers,Brian.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

I had an email from Ancestry today with a 4 months for £20 offer, not sure if open to all.

Me too.  Maybe their customers are defecting to Find My Past for the 1921 census.

2 hours ago, Splice the mainbrace said:

The 1939 Register isn’t a census and therefore not covered by the 1920 Census Act, which prevents personal census information being released until 100 years have passed. The 1939 register was released following a ruling by the Information Commissioner the only restriction is that individuals can only b viewed once a 100 years of passed from their date of birth or evidence of death has been provided. 

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

You just pipped me with your post Bob.I was adopted at a few months old.My Mum was a 16 year old Irish catholic in Londons East end.The same area as call the midwife,s current storyline.I went thru the motions of tracing when I was in my 40s but stopped at the requirement of being counselled b4 full info is released.I haven't bothered since but have seen heart renching programmes of Mothers who had to give up their babies and no way of them contacting,especially in my case of the stigma attached in 1952.I'm always in tears when I see Davina Mccall reuniting families.As you said could be a hornets nest as she is probably dead now but I could still have half siblings.Cheers,Brian.

Thanks Brian

• Like 1