P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I remember when a few friends got married in the mid to late 80s and had a dinner service wedding list in a local shop. You could then buy say 6 dinner plates or some serving dishes etc. One friend called off her wedding on the Monday before the Saturday. Luckily, I was able to sell off the 8 dessert bowls at a discount to another friend who was also collecting the same pattern! 

• Like 1

Just finished watching "Life After Life" on BBC  - an adaptation of Kate Atkinsons' novel.

Admittedly Atkinson uses a certain trope in her novels,  but I thought this adaptation was extremely well done,  and made you, as a viewer,  concentrate,  and realise how one single action has multiple consequences.  

Anyone else watched it ?

Edited by wowzz
  • Like 1

Morning 

My mum fell over while crossing the road yesterday afternoon and has broken her foot, 3 weeks before our cruise. She’s in a non weight bearing boot until Wednesday but then may  have to go in a cast.
I’ve been awake half the night thinking of all the consequences for the cruise plans. The hospital have given her crutches but she’ll be a liability on those so dads going to try to borrow a lightweight folding wheelchair.
I’m going to call the Holiday Inn Express and as if my parents can have a ground floor room.

They are booked on the Pulpit Rock boat trip so we need to try to find out if that is suitable for someone using crutches or a wheelchair, and then they were supposed to be going on the troll cars at Birksdall Glacier from Olden but I realised in the night that there’s an uneven storey walk once you get off the troll cars so they might have to cancel that. 🥴

At least they are traveling with me and my husband and my sister and my brother-in-law so we can all help her.

Best laid plans and all that ….

7 hours ago, wowzz said:

Just finished watching "Life After Life" on BBC  - an adaptation of Kate Atkinsons' novel.

Admittedly Atkinson uses a certain trope in her novels,  but I thought this adaptation was extremely well done,  and made you, as a viewer,  concentrate,  and realise how one single action has multiple consequences.  

Anyone else watched it ?

No I haven’t seen it but will look out for it, I like Kate Atkinsons books. Thanks

12 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Morning 

My mum fell over while crossing the road yesterday afternoon and has broken her foot, 3 weeks before our cruise. She’s in a non weight bearing boot until Wednesday but then may  have to go in a cast.
I’ve been awake half the night thinking of all the consequences for the cruise plans. The hospital have given her crutches but she’ll be a liability on those so dads going to try to borrow a lightweight folding wheelchair.
I’m going to call the Holiday Inn Express and as if my parents can have a ground floor room.

They are booked on the Pulpit Rock boat trip so we need to try to find out if that is suitable for someone using crutches or a wheelchair, and then they were supposed to be going on the troll cars at Birksdall Glacier from Olden but I realised in the night that there’s an uneven storey walk once you get off the troll cars so they might have to cancel that. 🥴

At least they are traveling with me and my husband and my sister and my brother-in-law so we can all help her.

Sorry to hear this this Sarah but I’ve just replied to your post on the other thread ( Norway trips) about a wheelchair, I hope it’s not a bad break for her .

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Purdey16 said:

Sorry to hear this this Sarah but I’ve just replied to your post on the other thread ( Norway trips) about a wheelchair, I hope it’s not a bad break for her .

Thank you, yes I’ve just seen your other post. 
Apparently it’s a clean but displaced break so not straightforward. She’s got a fracture clinic appointment mid week and they may decide to put it in a cast.

She can, and frequently does, fall over nothing so at least she’ll have to slow down now and hopefully there’s less chance of her having a fall in Norway if she’s safely in a wheelchair!

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Morning 

So so sorry to hear about your Mum’s fall as I know how much you have all been looking forward to this cruise….. hopefully you can all still thoroughly enjoy your cruise with just minor adjustments.

Make sure you inform travel insurance company of what has happened just so it remains valid.

Sending hugs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Morning 

So sorry to hear that, Sarah.  It's such a shame for everyone.  There are plenty of people here who can give good advice after similar situations, I'm sure, and I hope you can be reassured about things.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Anyone else watched it ?

Half way through it - and yes, it's excellent.  Very well put together, and very good performances. Haven't watched the later episodes on iPlayer yet - tend to record stuff onto the Humax and watch it after it's been transmitted.  Not a great binge viewer - I get bored too easily with the same thing for too long.

Morning 

Sorry to hear your mam has broken her foot Sarah.

A lightweight wheelchair will help her a lot to get around.

Pauline's mam had one on the 6 cruises she shared with us.

Maybe get your sister or her husband to push the chair at the terminal and this should help them check in early with you.

9°C and cloudy here after overnight rain .

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Make sure you inform travel insurance company of what has happened just so it remains valid.

Sorry to hear about your Mum :classic_sad: What was that you posted the other day about tripping over fresh air ?:classic_unsure: 

I hope all goes well but please make sure you follow Gills advice :classic_love:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Morning 

Oh how awful for this to happen so close to your cruise.  I hope that your mum doesn't have to cancel.  Hopefully your dad will be able source a temporary wheelchair.  There is a company that hires out lightweight wheelchairs to be delivered to your ship for when you arrive at the docks, I can't remember the name of the company but you should be able to Google it.

I hope that you have positive news when she goes to the fracture clinic.

• Thanks 1

Thank you everyone.

Yes, calling insurance is top of the to-do list.

Good idea about getting my sister to push the wheelchair Graham 😊

Kalos, yes it was me that posted that, she falls over frequently, this is the second fall in as many weeks. She usually bounces though.

I’ve just spoken to mum and she’s very unsteady on the crutches so we’ll try and get a wheelchair as soon as possible and take one with us.

Edited by SarahHben
  • Like 5

Morning 

Glad She's able to make the best of it and carry on. It's a generational thing. Plenty of you to give her a piggyback. There is a nice boat trip that goes to the bottom of pulpit rock. She can look up.🤣. As you say....best laid plans 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Morning 

Sorry to hear your mum has fallen, we got a lightweight wheelchair for MiL several years ago, we were going to hire one from motability but it was cheaper to buy one on Amazon as we knew she would need it going forward. If you are planning on trundling her around Norway I would get one that doesn't have the really small wheels at the front, they are OK for short journeys.

image.jpeg.0ca19305b466aec931ff5072d786e2aa.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

Morning 

Sorry to hear about your Mum's fall Sarah. As a 'tripper upper' over fresh air myself, I can sympathise. It would be shame for her to miss out on seeing some of Norway. Try looking through the tours again, there may be some suitable for her in a wheelchair that one of the family can accompany her on. I've not been to Norway, so I'm only guessing, but there have been in other countries we've visited so it's worth a look.

Hope all goes well for your Mum on Wednesday Sarah.

Avril

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Guest ccpm

Sarah Hoping that your Mum is able to join you on the cruise.

Josy well done. Everyone looked frozen here at Wednesdays bowls match so I hope it was warmer than here for you.

Glimmer of sun only here. Yesterday I decided that I needed get more interest in cooking again so I popped into town and bought Indian style cookery books. Now I have to cook my way through them. Today Lamb Rogan Josh. The house smells amazing and win/win I actually had all the ingredients including Ghee. The dogs are now my devoted slaves as they watched and sniffed every movement sure that their diets were looking up but sighing with disappointment when it went into the oven for hours.

They have announced their displeasure in their usual way and 3 sets of dark brown accusing eyes are focused on me from under the sofa. Hmnn little do they know their days under there are numbered as that nice Mr John Lewis has assured me that after parting with what seemed like enough to buy half his store my new sofa will be with my by September. Rush order then!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about your mums fall @SarahHben, hope she’s not in too much pain. All being well she’ll be sorted with a wheelchair to you can get her comfortably off the ship. The pulpit rock boat trip is wonderful if she’s able to take it,  could she try using a walker maybe instead of crutches? I don’t know if that’s possible or no better than crutches. 🤔Love Norway & the views from the ship along the fjords are worth the cruise in it’s self. 

• Thanks 1

Settling down to watch the snooker final. Takes me back to my late teens and early twenties when went to snooker clubs. My best snooker was after 1 to 2 pints, before thought too much about the shot and after didn't think enough !!

Repost as earlier post seems to have disappeared after site problem.

My post went awol too

I said it felt strange that Sarah was a cruise virgin despite having been on the board for ever.

Best wishes to your Mum and even if she doesn’t manage to get off (hope not 🤞) she will have a good holiday and will be able to view the spectacular fiord scenery from onboard

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Several of my posts have gone missing.

Thank you very much to all for your best wishes and advice on wheelchairs etc, I really appreciate it!

It won't ruin our holiday, it will just be more memorable.

Eddie, it does feel like I have been here forever, I feel like an imposter in cruise-land sometimes  🤣

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Thank you very much to all for your best wishes and advice on wheelchairs etc, I really appreciate it!

Eddie, it does feel like I have been here forever, I feel like an imposter in cruise-land sometimes  🤣

You’ll be very well prepared for the Big Day, Sarah. Your posts have always been pleasant, friendly, rational, helpful and very much appreciated by everyone. I’m very confident of that.

You’ll have a wonderful time, and without the baggage from the past some of us are stuck with.  Just tell everyone at the dinner table that this is your 50th cruise with P&O (quite apart from all the others), that you paid £500 for it at the last minute, with a drinks package included, and you’ll be accepted as a regular, and also the talk of the table. But not in a good way.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

The site looked like it crashed twice around lunchtime as quite a few posts disappeared……..I imagine they just took it back to just before the problem and posts that were made around that time fell overboard…..

A holiday is what you make it and I just know you will enjoy every moment.

Gill x

• Like 8