P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

3 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We would usually have to pay more around here too but this particular restaurant has what it calls " Fish Friday " and you get 2 fish and chip meals and 2 glasses of wine or J2O for £25 which is still a bargain.  It was £20 until last week  and was very popular but this week it was very quiet.  We are waiting to see what it is like next week because we can't  decide whether it was quiet because people are away as it is a Bank Holiday week or if they have decided that they don't want to pay the extra £5.

We will continue to go there as it such good value and only 2.5 miles from our house.

We went to a Beefeater yesterday for lunch. Two haddock, chips and peas, two lime and sodas, just less than £20 plus tip. I meet a friend at this venue regularly and I couldn’t believe how much quieter it was than on my last visit a few months ago. Same with the Italian we visited for lunch last week.  Doesn’t bode well.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Also been very interested in this topic.  Like you there are only two of us and I have been wondering how it's possible to cook different items at the same time - but a friend tells me that you can get fryers with two compartments which I think may suit me better.  She swears by air fryers too. (It's a Ninja)

I'll be interested to hear comments on any advantages of separate trays/compartments from those who have experience of using fryers with or without this feature.  

We love our Ninja duo. It air fries a chicken beautifully. So succulent. Not greasy at all.  There's only 2 of us so we just get a 1.5 to 1.7kg one. You couldnt fit a bigger one in the ninja duo. It's perfect for just 2 of you but I dont think its big enough for a family. We do Sunday roasts with chicken in one drawer, roast potatoes in another, veg on hob. I do the stuffing balls before the roast potatoes in the ninja.  Our favourite is fajitas and it cooks frozen chips beautifully too. DH does Sunday morning sausages in it. Cooks fish lovely too. You have to play around with it and learn as you go but we wouldn't be without it. Our oven is barely used, probably just for pizzas. The ninja is so easy to clean. Literally drop the drawers in hot soapy water. None of that grease spitting all over the oven door.  Hope this is helpful

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

28 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Since when did restaurants start to serve lemon with a steak?

Is it  even steak ? 

Doesn't look like my £4 medium rare steak from Lidl, plus triple cooked chips from Aldi that I had tonight !

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Neecy1 said:

We love our Ninja duo. It air fries a chicken beautifully. So succulent. Not greasy at all.  There's only 2 of us so we just get a 1.5 to 1.7kg one. You couldnt fit a bigger one in the ninja duo. It's perfect for just 2 of you but I dont think its big enough for a family. We do Sunday roasts with chicken in one drawer, roast potatoes in another, veg on hob. I do the stuffing balls before the roast potatoes in the ninja.  Our favourite is fajitas and it cooks frozen chips beautifully too. DH does Sunday morning sausages in it. Cooks fish lovely too. You have to play around with it and learn as you go but we wouldn't be without it. Our oven is barely used, probably just for pizzas. The ninja is so easy to clean. Literally drop the drawers in hot soapy water. None of that grease spitting all over the oven door.  Hope this is helpful

Thank you very much - yes it has been helpful.  We went to JL today to do a bit of research and they had that model on display (though not in stock - I think there has been quite a run on them!) so I can visualise what you are describing.  One lady was ordering one and her friend already had one and was waxing lyrical about it.  I think that's the one I'm most interested in getting after hearing such positive comments but i think it may be a waiting game until new stock arrives!  Thanks again for your reply.  

17 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Our favourite Friday lunch has been hit by a 25% price increase but still excellent value20220902_122734.thumb.jpg.6a5f27c01938821283ab9eff985f331a.jpg20220902_124414.thumb.jpg.e74579d6cf4668c732c35b8e56789ef8.jpg

2 fish, one portion of chips and a small curry sauce cost £14.25 from our local chippy last night. I think £25 for what’s included is a very fair price and the former price £20 was a bargain.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

We went to a Beefeater yesterday for lunch. Two haddock, chips and peas, two lime and sodas, just less than £20 plus tip. I meet a friend at this venue regularly and I couldn’t believe how much quieter it was than on my last visit a few months ago. Same with the Italian we visited for lunch last week.  Doesn’t bode well.

That sounds like a real bargain.  I am a bit concerned that some of my favourite eateries could go out of business, I was out last week with a group of friends and it was very quiet in that restaurant too.  We try to support places that are not part of a large chain but I fear that these are the p!aces that will be forced out of business in the current crisis, a pizzeria that we liked has closed recently so no pizza for us now.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DamianG said:

2 fish, one portion of chips and a small curry sauce cost £14.25 from our local chippy last night. I think £25 for what’s included is a very fair price and the former price £20 was a bargain.

Set to rise even further over coming months as price of potatoes expected to rise by around 30% due to the drought and lack moisture in the soil for potato crops meaning yields are going to be down. Apparently price of cod has already risen by 75% in the last 6 months. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DamianG said:

I agree that it is a bargain at  £25 and we will continue to eat there because the food is always excellent regardless of what we choose.  The only time that I ever have fish and chips is there so I have to keep going.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kruzseeka said:

Thank you very much - yes it has been helpful.  We went to JL today to do a bit of research and they had that model on display (though not in stock - I think there has been quite a run on them!) so I can visualise what you are describing.  One lady was ordering one and her friend already had one and was waxing lyrical about it.  I think that's the one I'm most interested in getting after hearing such positive comments but i think it may be a waiting game until new stock arrives!  Thanks again for your reply.  

I've just looked at Argos. Ours is a 7.6L but there's a bigger one at 9.5L and it says you can fit a 2kg chicken in the drawer. We didn't have the worktop space for that. The 7.6L is fine for just the 2 of us. Both out of stock though I'm afraid. Hope you get sorted

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DamianG said:

I think you have very reasonable chippy our what used to be regular now is charging £9-20 for cod/haddock and chips. So if you added a other fish and curry sauce would be about £18.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Neecy1 said:

I've just looked at Argos. Ours is a 7.6L but there's a bigger one at 9.5L and it says you can fit a 2kg chicken in the drawer. We didn't have the worktop space for that. The 7.6L is fine for just the 2 of us. Both out of stock though I'm afraid. Hope you get sorted

Yes I would have to settle for the smaller one too and would be adequate for us. When catering for more there's always the backstop of the oven!   I'll just have to wait until stocks become available which I think may be a while!  Thanks.

18 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for your constructive comments @terrierjohn.

I would love to see some of your food pictures which I'm sure would look absolutely amazing.

Regards.

G&P.

Here's one from me Graham.  Our favourite Italian in Venice.

IMG_4738.JPG

Edited by zap99
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Set to rise even further over coming months as price of potatoes expected to rise by around 30% due to the drought and lack moisture in the soil for potato crops meaning yields are going to be down. Apparently price of cod has already risen by 75% in the last 6 months. 

I just hope that instead of increasing the price of a portion of chips, they reduce the mountain of chips you get in a portion to a large hill. We don’t have them often, but a standard portion provides enough for us both, with some left over. 

• Like 7

42 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you for your constructive comments @terrierjohn.

I would love to see some of your food pictures which I'm sure would look absolutely amazing.

Regards.

G&P.

Sorry if I upset you Graham that was not my intention, I was simply surprised to see a lemon wedge with a cooked steak.

The only time I have seen that was many years ago when a friend ordered steak tartare, not realising it was uncooked, and that was served with a wedge of lemon.

You would not want to see photos of my food, which is mainly home cooked by me, and I have no sense of presentation whatsoever.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I find the portions of fish and chips in pubs etc. really too large - for me - not for someone younger, I am sure.  A pub here used to do small or large portions, obvs. at two prices, and the smaller one was still pretty big!  Understandably they have stopped, they need all the revenue they can get nowadays.

I still manage about two-thirds of a plateful, however!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

Sorry if I upset you Graham that was not my intention, I was simply surprised to see a lemon wedge with a cooked steak.

The only time I have seen that was many years ago when a friend ordered steak tartare, not realising it was uncooked, and that was served with a wedge of lemon.

You would not want to see photos of my food, which is mainly home cooked by me, and I have no sense of presentation whatsoever.

Thank you John.

It was a minute steak in an Italian restaurant.

The rocket salad and lemon was an unusual mix.

G.

10 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Thank you John.

It was a minute steak in an Italian restaurant.

The rocket salad and lemon was an unusual mix.

G.

I don't like lemons but you seem to get them on a variety of dishes .

Remembering the fist time I had lemon ..

I didn't really like it. But I kept on eating it. Until the bitter end.:classic_unsure:

• Haha 9