P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

6 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I don’t go to the hygienist anymore, I always hated that more than the dentist.

What I have now is a power water flosser to keep plaque at bay. Between that and interdental brushes I don’t feel the need to pay £47 a go for someone else to do it.

It took a while to get used to the water flosser and at first I had to use it in the shower as the water was all over the place (ever tried a flossed nose - not good). Now I’ve got the hang of it, it works really well.

I’m sure all will be fine today but if not perhaps worth a though as an alternative.

Same here. No visits to the hygienist in 20 years, but I claim absolutely no credit for that - all credit to a decent electric toothbrush, flossing, a water flosser and interdental brushes. My teeth are typical boomer teeth (pre-fluoride) but recommendations of various dentists do seem to have worked, at least in that respect.

Just out of curiosity, who’s still got an NHS dentist? We still have, but I suspect not for much longer.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

I don’t go to the hygienist anymore, I always hated that more than the dentist.

What I have now is a power water flosser to keep plaque at bay. Between that and interdental brushes I don’t feel the need to pay £47 a go for someone else to do it.

It took a while to get used to the water flosser and at first I had to use it in the shower as the water was all over the place (ever tried a flossed nose - not good). Now I’ve got the hang of it, it works really well.

I’m sure all will be fine today but if not perhaps worth a though as an alternative.

My wife is still at the water flossing in the shower stage after a month !

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Same here. No visits to the hygienist in 20 years, but I claim absolutely no credit for that - all credit to a decent electric toothbrush, flossing, a water flosser and interdental brushes. My teeth are typical boomer teeth (pre-fluoride) but recommendations of various dentists do seem to have worked, at least in that respect.

Just out of curiosity, who’s still got an NHS dentist? We still have, but I suspect not for much longer.

We do, but he also has private patients too.

Avril

• Like 2

@Harry Peterson most up here are now a mix of private and NHS.

The reality is that while check ups are “free” most treatment needs to be paid for. The NHS will extract a tooth but if you need for example root treatment and a crown then you pay for it. Standard fillings are done but white ones need to be paid for.

Same for opticians. The eye test is “free” and some get basic glasses but I just paid £700 for new glasses and most of the cost was the lenses, not for a particularly fancy frame.

So most of us end up paying huge amounts of tax for NHS that is supposed to be free at the point of access but in reality we pay twice for teeth, eyes, podiatry, physiotherapy etc. (Ps tax up  by yet another penny in the £ up here “for the NHS” from April).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

We do, but he also has private patients too.

Avril

Same here . My dentist once asked me do I floss between meals ?

I said "No just between my teeth "

Those water pick gadgets look very handy for anyone who owns dirty corn cobs or for 

tormenting the cat with .😉

Must try this flossing in the shower . Do I set the showerhead to monsoon or invigorating 🤣

• Haha 6

42 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

The eye test is “free” and some get basic glasses but I just paid £700 for new glasses and most of the cost was the lenses, not for a particularly fancy frame.

I assume you must have a very specific prescription.  My complete glasses,  with varifocal and reactolite lenses, cost less than £100.

Interesting reports on the water flosser. I have been looking at them. As I still forget to turn my electric toothbrush off before I take it out of my mouth, and regularly spray the mirror and tiles. I think I would need to install a wet room!!

• Haha 4

I’ve been with Denplan for nearly 20 years and apart from the 6 monthly check up I see the hygienist every 4 months. Well worth the premium just for that. I love going to the hygienist and consider it to be like a spa/beauty treatment. It’s a very pleasant and relaxing half hour and I feel quite refreshed afterwards. 

Just back from the hygienist and didn’t gag once, although she didn’t do the 4 back molars, I’m feeling more confident after that. I was actually relaxed, maybe the can of CBD (cannabis extract) drink that I drank an hour before hand does actually take the edge off reflexes, anxiety etc like is claimed? It’s the first time I’ve used it, had another can last night as well and it did make me feel more relaxed and sleepy or it could have just been in my mind (psychosomatic)?

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Still have an NHS dentist, the same one since 2003, he was an intern then, now one of the senior dentists. He is the dentist that ended my fear of going to the dentist.

As for Hygienist only been to see her once in 7 years, dentist does basic scale and polish and has not sent me to see her recently as there is no need. Two of our friends are Hygienists, one still working the other retired, both very nice people, and they are well aware that most patients dislike a visit to their surgery.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Yes, we still have an NHS dentist. Although we went for a period without having one, as our dental surgery closed as we were coming out of the pandemic as the dentist left.  Luckily it has reopened with a different dentist, which reminds me that I need to book an appointment!

4 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I was awoken this morning by flashing lights outside, not the usual blue or orange ones, wasn’t traffic as no noise, got out of bed fully expecting to an Alien spaceship outside, instead I saw 4 police officers with very bright torches searching the churchyard opposite & a helicopter flying over the woods beyond, I don’t think anyone had risen from the dead! 

Is that what they call the graveyard shift.

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, wowzz said:

Have any of you with gag problems tried any form of sedation ? eg Gas & air, or intravenous drips. One day I know a dental visit  will be required, but I am dreading the thought of it. 

I can give you a tap on the head.Trust me I'm a plumber.

• Haha 6

I have done my bit of plumbing this morning, as Mrs YP broke the washing machine recently we bought a new one which was delivered this morning. This made us late for breakfast, so did the Barnsley run, it was heaving, hardly a table to be had at Costa and the other cafes we passed were the same, so much for there being no money about. At least we had a nice start to the day followed by what seems to be the traditional rain, who would have thunk we had a hosepipe ban till recently.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

@Harry Peterson most up here are now a mix of private and NHS.

The reality is that while check ups are “free” most treatment needs to be paid for. The NHS will extract a tooth but if you need for example root treatment and a crown then you pay for it. Standard fillings are done but white ones need to be paid for.

Same for opticians. The eye test is “free” and some get basic glasses but I just paid £700 for new glasses and most of the cost was the lenses, not for a particularly fancy frame.

So most of us end up paying huge amounts of tax for NHS that is supposed to be free at the point of access but in reality we pay twice for teeth, eyes, podiatry, physiotherapy etc. (Ps tax up  by yet another penny in the £ up here “for the NHS” from April).

My NHS check up isn’t free, it costs £23.80 as a Band 1, crowns etc come under Band 3, which is the most expensive band, but cheaper than private.

My dentist only uses white/cream fillings, amalgam seems to have gone, no extra charge. 

https://www.nhs.uk/nhs-services/dentists/dental-costs/what-is-included-in-each-nhs-dental-band-charge/

5 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

We have a NHS dentist, was 12 months on the waiting list when we moved over here 

Michelle 

44 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have done my bit of plumbing this morning, as Mrs YP broke the washing machine recently we bought a new one which was delivered this morning. This made us late for breakfast, so did the Barnsley run, it was heaving, hardly a table to be had at Costa and the other cafes we passed were the same, so much for there being no money about. At least we had a nice start to the day followed by what seems to be the traditional rain, who would have thunk we had a hosepipe ban till recently.

I think we still have one🤔

Just checked and it was lifted Dec 6th.

Shows what I know.😏

Avril

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I do. 

I went to the dentist this morning with my daughter and grandson so that I could keep him occupied after his check up while my daughter had hers. Grandson had other ideas as 2 years old often do. We'd prepared him, told him what would happen, but he went in the room with his mum, took one look at the dentist and came running out screaming. He wouldn't let me comfort him or pick him up so I just apologised profusely to everyone else in the waiting room, manhandled him outside where he continued to cry for his mum 😏He was very unwell before Christmas and needed several medical appointments and I think that's terrified him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, yorkshirephil said:

Didn't she take the nails out of her overall pockets after repairing the roof?

• Haha 3