P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

1 hour ago, DamianG said:

In our house I'm the fusspot always correcting bad grammar as I really dislike hearing poorly phrased sentences such as "I don't have no clue!🤓

Pet hate, double negatives, I have had over 50 years of trying teach OH to not use them.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I just mentioned to OH that I don't need to go out for a walk this afternoon because I have already done on over 11k steps, his reply " You cheat because your legs are shorter than mine so do more steps in a shorter distance"  😂 

haha my husband says the same to me!

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

This made me laugh. I have the same comments re my steps. I have my revenge though as I have a fitbit active so when I wave my arms around it thinks I am swimming and ups my steps !!!!! 😉

Nothing stopping you proving it correct by going for a regular swim in the Irish Sea whenever you are in Wales.

20 hours ago, lincslady said:

Purdey 16 and indiana - another sometime insomniac here.  I have had quite a few essentially medical issues over the past 5 years; not as bad as some on here but worse than average certainly.

Over that time I have mostly had an average of 3 to 4 hours sleep a night; think I need 6 or 7.  If I wake up beyond about 2.30 I am usually too awake to go back to sleep, and either start worrying about everything, or as I have learned to do, read some of my current novel, followed if necessary by a look on the laptop - new emails, BBC news, and CC in that order.  Sometimes after that I can go back to sleep, or usually it is around 5 a.m., and I make myself a mug of tea.  Then my marvellous paper man comes around 6, so I read the paper in bed until time to get up.  As things have improved in my life in general this past 6 months I have had better nights.  I think the problem for all of us insomniacs is usually stress related, and not coping with it as well as others can.

It always amazes me that what is appalling at 2 a.m. becomes a solvable problem by 8.  I don't know if you agree.

Hello Lincslady 

I've just been catching up on posts and read yours with great empathy. I'd like to join the club!  

I do just the same as you - get up, read a little, look at the news, catch up on CC, then put the radio on. 

If you are a radio fan, I highly recommend Steve Allen who is on LBC from 4am to 7am every weekday. His shows are very quirky and highly entertaining - largely consisting of taking the mickey out of so called 'celebrities'. If nothing else he'll make you smile at some ungodly hour.

Next time I'm up at silly o clock I'll post "Is anyone awake" then if you or Purdey or Indiana are awake we can have an insomniacs chat. I think Avril is a sometime early early girl too.

It is very very windy down in the South this morning (empty bins flying around etc) and having seen the forecast for the North of England and Scotland, which is much worse, I want to wish you all a safe day. Take great care everyone.

Best wishes. Jane. Xxx

• Like 13

Morning all, hope your all good today 🙂

It's a bit windy around where we live as well and it's dustbin day for the one that weighs 

next to nowt as it only has paper and cardboard in it .

We have given this bin a name rather than a door number .We call it Rhett Butler cos 

no sooner will it be emptied and it will be Gone With The Wind 😉

Some people go chasing rainbows , us it's dustbins .

Today I think I will practise my impersonations I do of people.

Last night I did one for  my mate Barry ,which went a bit like this ........

me .. I will do an impression of Batman . . "Up , UP and away ! "

Barry said "That's Superman "

I thanked him as I thought it was ok as well .:classic_unsure:

Take care and have a good day .🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

13 hours ago, Presto2 said:

This made me laugh. I have the same comments re my steps. I have my revenge though as I have a fitbit active so when I wave my arms around it thinks I am swimming and ups my steps !!!!! 😉

I will have to try that 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beckett said:

Hello Lincslady 

I've just been catching up on posts and read yours with great empathy. I'd like to join the club!  

I do just the same as you - get up, read a little, look at the news, catch up on CC, then put the radio on. 

If you are a radio fan, I highly recommend Steve Allen who is on LBC from 4am to 7am every weekday. His shows are very quirky and highly entertaining - largely consisting of taking the mickey out of so called 'celebrities'. If nothing else he'll make you smile at some ungodly hour.

Next time I'm up at silly o clock I'll post "Is anyone awake" then if you or Purdey or Indiana are awake we can have an insomniacs chat. I think Avril is a sometime early early girl too.

It is very very windy down in the South this morning (empty bins flying around etc) and having seen the forecast for the North of England and Scotland, which is much worse, I want to wish you all a safe day. Take great care everyone.

Best wishes. Jane. Xxx

I find that getting up at silly o'clock means that I can get the housework done before OH gets up and in my way.  It doesn't matter how much clattering about I do it never seems  to wake him, I  think that years of shift work made him used to sleeping when there is some noise.

• Like 2

A sunny, but breezy morning temperature at 12C, some gardening to be done today including trimming back natures own barbed wire shrub, Pyracantha, will have my gauntlets on for this operation. 

Gardener starts work hopefully next Wednesday replacing our back lawn, putting in new stepping stone path, plus rebuilding crumbling steps between the upper and lower levels. 

These warmer temperatures are cutting back on heating costs, amount used is two thirds of what it was a couple of weeks ago, indoor temperature not dropping below 18C during day and 17C overnight. 

• Like 4

Re Us insomniacs ..   I have been one for 25 years.  They said sleep apnoea at first but even for the short time I had the mask I hardly slept and I think I was worse. Then Guys Hospital said I didn't have it.

I very rarely (until very recently) slept for more than two hours at a time then of course off to the bathroom.   I   was recently diagnosed with low vitamin D and take supplements which has improved things,  surprisingly.  Of course now I'm a bit disabled I'm not getting the exercise so don't get physically tired.

It has always baffled me that when the clocks change people say they have tiredness for a few days, when I used to get only a few hours a night, but then it is probably all to do with what you are used to.

Insomnia is a horrible thing.  I had a light anaesthetic a while ago and all  i wanted afterwards was for them to leave me alone to enjoy the sleep for an hour or two.   Thy agreed  but then my daughter came barging in!🤣

Edited by indiana123
spelling
  • Like 6

Rotten luck, indiana.  I am not that bad - however, I send a quick email around 6 a.m. each morning to my kids, so they know I have survived the night (a good free idea for anyone on their own), and if I have been awake for hours tend to forget very occasionally, as I did this morning.  Got one from daughter about 7.30 to see if I was OK.

I have taken vitamin D3, 1000 units per day, for about two years as I don't get out into the sun as often as I would like.  No idea if it helps, but maybe.

Just been for a hearing aid check-up, and was treated to a girl whose first words were 'I am a high functioning autistic', who then proceeded to tell me all about her own problems and her family!  Not really ideally suited to the job.  Worked out all right in the end.

• Like 5

About 25 here. Bad news is that the coach to the airport goes in about 30mins. Bye bye Tenerife. Bye bye Azura. Thanks for a great week. Back on again in April. Still prefer Britannia,  but Azura will do nicely, very nicely indeed.😁

• Like 19

2 hours ago, grapau27 said:

Good morning.

11°C and sunny here but very windy.

Paulines friend sent this photo of the Northern Lights yesterday from Iceland.

IMG-20230216-WA0001.jpg

DD returned from Iceland on Tuesday and wasn't so lucky during her trip😭Luck of the draw.... she'll just have to go again 👍

• Like 2

As usual we havd been out for Friday lunch but today we went to restaurant that has been closed for a while but is now under new management so we thought we would try it.  I used to go there with my sisters and occasionally with one of my friends but will definitely not be going there again.  The food was barely warm and they are seem to be trying to deter vegetarians, my vegetable lasagne was mainlytomato sauce with very few vegetables.

• Like 1

We all like money back, well I do. Just had an email from Nationwide, from now until 30 April they are giving 5% cashback on purchases in several stores, including,Tesco, Iceland and Aldi. Some exceptions, namely petrol and limited to £10 per month on each debit card. Joint account holders can get £10 each by using their individual cards. Money into your account no claiming required.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alpha whiskey said:

DD returned from Iceland on Tuesday and wasn't so lucky during her trip😭Luck of the draw.... she'll just have to go again 👍

Only seen them once.Coming in to land 1am out of the plane window in Fairbanks Alaska.Just fading as we got off the plane.Another bonus on that trip was Denali free of clouds.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Only seen them once.Coming in to land 1am out of the plane window in Fairbanks Alaska.Just fading as we got off the plane.Another bonus on that trip was Denali free of clouds.

Been to Lapland 7 times in February ... and seen the once for about a second !!!!!!! 😞

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Perhaps you need to do 8 laps.

On one visit to the far North we were told a quaint story that  the Sámi believed you shouldn’t talk about the Northern Lights and it was  dangerous to tease them by waving, whistling or singing.

Well-fortified... we tested the idea out in the middle of one very cold night in Alta Fjord... and this really, really is what appeared in the sky!

Can you see a bearded chin, pointed nose, deep dark eyes and troll like ears with a cap blowing in the wind? 

image.thumb.jpeg.e1cd39f046862dba14bd60d19786f2b6.jpeg

• Like 14