P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

16 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

That’s horrible, Avril - sorry to hear that, and particularly your dad’s rose. I hope you manage to save it, and as many of the other plants as you can.

We had a thunderstorm yesterday morning but last night we got two for the price of one .

I was watching them pass on a storm radar . The fist one headed off more towards 

Doncaster /Barnsley ,heading for Leeds . The second one  took a similar track but the rain 

was really heavy .it was battering our windows and front door, making a right racket .

Watching the strikes around Cudworth and Penistone ,I said to the Mrs "I bet Avril  and 

Phil will be getting a right show . 

If I did not know better I would have thought someone had put a jet wash to our doors and windows .

One person not to far away from us had their car struck with lightening , causing it to burst into flames ,

I bet the emergency services were kept busy last night . 

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, kalos said:

One person not to far away from us had their car struck with lightening , causing it to burst into flames ,

Wow!! and I thought I had problems. At least the garden will grow again next year, not sure about dad's rose though😒, I'm no gardening expert but I'll try my best🤞

Some of the lightening last night came one after the other with no break in between, and the thunder so loud it set off car alarms, so I'm not surprised there were strikes. 

Avril

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, kalos said:

We had a thunderstorm yesterday morning but last night we got two for the price of one .

I was watching them pass on a storm radar . The fist one headed off more towards 

Doncaster /Barnsley ,heading for Leeds . The second one  took a similar track but the rain 

was really heavy .it was battering our windows and front door, making a right racket .

Watching the strikes around Cudworth and Penistone ,I said to the Mrs "I bet Avril  and 

If I did not know better I would have thought someone had put a jet wash to our doors and windows .

We missed out on all that, but back in the 80s we had quite a storm, which woke us up, and our 3 year old daughter. We didn’t want her to be frightened of storms and lightning, so we took her to the window to watch the ‘pretty lights’. 

She was fine with that. So were we. But the house wasn’t, because lightning hit the TV aerial, with the inevitable consequences and a huge bang. No structural damage, fortunately, and relatively minor electrical damage, but the huge electrical charge did jump across from the aerial wiring to the main wiring. The thing that sticks in my mind most though was the phrase used by a secondhand shop I took the damaged VCR to:

”Is it ‘ookey?”

Nice piece of Essex slang, imported from the East End! Meaningless to me at the time. Initially.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, kalos said:

We did, we can see the Emley moor masts from our front window and it was getting hit regularly

img?regionKey=IiePvzOp0l3npb1M2aVv1A%3d%3d

• Like 9

We had heavy rain last night and a few rumbles of distant thunder but nothing that did any damage.

I have only just managed to get out of bed and showered, I was awake off and on all night because I developed an horrendous cold yesterday so not going today.

• Like 4

Again we had rain overnight, but no thunderstorms. Although we have had some rain the ground is still dry and OH commented this morning, when he went out, that the plants need watering. 

A few years back we were struck by lightening, and although there was no stuctural damage we did have minor electrical losses, TV, etc.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

We didn’t want her to be frightened of storms and lightning, so we took her to the window to watch the ‘pretty lights’. 

She was fine with that. So were we. But the house wasn’t, because lightning hit the TV aerial, with the inevitable consequences and a huge bang. No structural damage, fortunately, and relatively minor electrical damage, but the huge electrical charge did jump across from the aerial wiring to the main wiring.

That reminds me of a few years ago when Mrs K and me also decided to watch the pretty light show from our back door , just stood inside sheltering us from the rain .We stood in awe at the lightening show , that was until  a bolt of lightening hit the grass up the top of our garden . 

We both went "Wow " and then made our way back in the house as we could hardly catch our breath. It was like all the oxygen had been taken out of the air .

After a a minute we were both fine and thought no more about it. 

That was until we tried going online, only to discover the storm had taken out our modem ,which we had just installed  earlier that day. Everything else was working fine .

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5

Sorry to hear of everyone’s storm woes. We had thunder and heavy rain but avoided the worst of it. 
I have amazed myself (and is something I never thought I would do) aand have booked a 7 day cruise to Norway on Iona for early June next year. I’m an huge Aurora fan, but she just isn’t offering what I wanted for 2024 or 2025. So, I thought I’d give Iona a go. The price for a balcony was reasonable in comparison to other cruise lines. I am sure I will enjoy the new experience - and if I don’t, it’s only for 7/days.

• Like 17

Yesterday here in Lincs. I had very loud thunder and obviously lightning, but hardly any rain.  However, the power did go off so I rang the emergency no. which normally is very useful, says your  postcode and what is happening there.  Automatic message, number changed, mumbling new one  so impossible to hear.  Looked them up online when power came back on, still saying old number.  Luckily it was only off for a short time.  

• Like 7

Quite stormy at Silverstone yesterday but P3 and quali were not badly affected.I was sitting at the front on my camping chair with waterproof clobber on, bone dry,lol.We parked a 25 min walk away and experienced not one traffic jam.Couldn't believe our luck.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, brian1 said:

Quite stormy at Silverstone yesterday but P3 and quali were not badly affected.I was sitting at the front on my camping chair with waterproof clobber on, bone dry,lol.We parked a 25 min walk away and experienced not one traffic jam.Couldn't believe our luck.

OH watching live right now.

We visited Silverstone last year, he made me walk the entire track! The museum bit was good. I did well with the tyre change thingy, small nimble fingers. The last bit with the VR was like the worst kind of vomit inducing roller coaster!

He enjoyed it which was the main thing.

• Like 5

A pretty good race; it would have been even better if we could have had 3 Brits on the podium!  Lando, Lewis and George.  Many years ago I was taken round the circuit at pretty high speed in an old Lotus Cortina.  It was a touch neve racking, as we had no seat belts of course, and it was a bench seat, so I had to hold on tight so as not to slide over into  the driver.

• Like 8

34 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Started pouring down here, no thunder or lightning yet, at least the garden is getting another dousing as it had dried out during the hot sunny morning and afternoon.

We had pouring rain and thunder around 4 pm but no lightening, our driver looked like a small river but it cleared quickly and we now have blue sky and sun again. Strange weather.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Angel57 said:

Sorry to hear of everyone’s storm woes. We had thunder and heavy rain but avoided the worst of it. 
I have amazed myself (and is something I never thought I would do) aand have booked a 7 day cruise to Norway on Iona for early June next year. I’m an huge Aurora fan, but she just isn’t offering what I wanted for 2024 or 2025. So, I thought I’d give Iona a go. The price for a balcony was reasonable in comparison to other cruise lines. I am sure I will enjoy the new experience - and if I don’t, it’s only for 7/days.

We are on Iona to the Fjords next Saturday. We went there on Britannia in 2019 and had a lovely cruise. We were on Iona in Feb/March to Spain and the Canaries and she was great so very excited about this combination. 

• Like 7

Just now, Jennizor said:

We are on Iona to the Fjords next Saturday. We went there on Britannia in 2019 and had a lovely cruise. We were on Iona in Feb/March to Spain and the Canaries and she was great so very excited about this combination. 

Hope you have a great time and the weather is kind to you. Have yet to try IONA, but am sure you will love Norway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Hope you have a great time and the weather is kind to you. Have yet to try IONA, but am sure you will love Norway.

Thanks Presto, we went to the Fjords in 2019 and really enjoyed it and promised ourselves that we would do it again. Roll on next Saturday.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jennizor said:

Hope you have a lovely relaxing time and that the weather is kind to you

Michelle

• Like 1

Goodnight.  Just off to see if I can get some sleep.  I feel really wide awake, in fact better than when I wake up after sleep.  I did notice a couple of others on here in the middle of the night, having the same trouble.

Even on a bad night I usually manage a few hours, but last night... absolutely nothing!!!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Goodnight.  Just off to see if I can get some sleep.  I feel really wide awake, in fact better than when I wake up after sleep.  I did notice a couple of others on here in the middle of the night, having the same trouble.

Even on a bad night I usually manage a few hours, but last night... absolutely nothing!!!

Night night, sorry you are struggling with your sleep, on the upside only 12 sleeps to crimbo.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 hours ago, lincslady said:

A pretty good race; it would have been even better if we could have had 3 Brits on the podium!  Lando, Lewis and George.  Many years ago I was taken round the circuit at pretty high speed in an old Lotus Cortina.  It was a touch neve racking, as we had no seat belts of course, and it was a bench seat, so I had to hold on tight so as not to slide over into  the driver.

Bit like the Barking bypass back in the day.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@indiana123Sorry that you are stiil not sleeping well.  This warm weather doesn't help.

i managed over 5 hours last night, probably as a result of having a Lemsip before going to bed in the vain hope of getting rid of this horrible summer cold.

Edited by Josy1953
Bad typing
  • Like 1