P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Thanks for that interesting to read .Gone the hybrid automatic yaris range so will see what happens in 3 years time .We only did 5k in 3 years yaris is running at 70 miles per gallon so won't break the bank on petrol but maybe servicing costs highern

3 hours ago, Bin man said:

Thanks for that interesting to read .Gone the hybrid automatic yaris range so will see what happens in 3 years time .We only did 5k in 3 years yaris is running at 70 miles per gallon so won't break the bank on petrol but maybe servicing costs highern

I have a Yaris Cross Hybrid, does 60mpg on average my wife’s Yaris does 70mpg, I have a service plan which costs £27 per month and covers annual service, had the car since January just done over 3,000 miles, my old ICE Captur averaged around 38mpg, the hybrid is a significant improvement on that. 

We might have full electric on my wife’s car except that the costs to run power to our detached garage were extortionate. 

Edited by Snow Hill

8 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

I have a Yaris Cross Hybrid, does 60mpg on average my wife’s Yaris does 70mpg, I have a service plan which costs £27 per month and covers annual service, had the car since January just done over 3,000 miles, my old ICE Captur averaged around 38mpg, the hybrid is a significant improvement on that. 

We might have full electric on my wife’s car except that the costs to run power to our detached garage were extortionate. 

How does the Yaris cross compare with the Captur in general? My last 5 cars have been 2 Capturs, 2 Nissan Jukes and the current C3 Aircross. Albeit I am unlikely to be having a new motor anytime soon I like to keep my finger on the pulse so to speak. 

34 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

How does the Yaris cross compare with the Captur in general? My last 5 cars have been 2 Capturs, 2 Nissan Jukes and the current C3 Aircross. Albeit I am unlikely to be having a new motor anytime soon I like to keep my finger on the pulse so to speak. 

We bought our car 3 years ago when it was 1 year old with only 5000 miles on the clock, now it’s still only done 16000 miles and is worth £2000 more than we paid for it. It was out of warranty last year so I took out 2 years extended warranty and will probably do the same next year. It’s got all the kit that we need and we are happy with it. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have had 3 Capturs, prior to that 2 Meganes so moving manufacturers was a big step, but is one I am glad I took. The Yaris Cross is about the same size as the new Captur, which I also test drove, but I found the handling of the Yaris much better. Personally I found the Yaris a much better car to drive than the Captur, plus the customer service I have had from Toyota is far better than the Renault Dealership which has gone downhill since it was taken over by Budgen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

We have our new Yaris on order, with estimated delivery date of late August / early September.  We have a Mazda 2 that will be 2 years old in September and has done 7350 miles at the moment.  We will never buy another Mazda after the problems that we have had with the main dealer locally. The Mazda dealer called us earlier this week to invite us to an open day but I declined and asked him to remove us from their mailing/phone call list because even if we wanted a new Mazda we would not be buying from them.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

We have our new Yaris on order, with estimated delivery date of late August / early September.  We have a Mazda 2 that will be 2 years old in September and has done 7350 miles at the moment.  We will never buy another Mazda after the problems that we have had with the main dealer locally. The Mazda dealer called us earlier this week to invite us to an open day but I declined and asked him to remove us from their mailing/phone call list because even if we wanted a new Mazda we would not be buying from them.

Holdcroft by any chance?

45 minutes ago, Rupert2251 said:

Holdcroft by any chance?

Got it in one.

It is not just the Mazda franchise, we have friends who have had problems with the Hyundai and the Renault franchises held by Holdcroft. Avoiding Holdcroft was our main reason for looking at Toyota.

Edited by Josy1953

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Got it in one.

It is not just the Mazda franchise, we have friends who have had problems with the Hyundai and the Renault franchises held by Holdcroft. Avoiding Holdcroft was our main reason for looking at Toyota.

Yes we have a Renault Clio from them, turns out we knew more about the car than the sales person did, love Renault though 🙂

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

My partner has Toyota HRC. Too clever. Texts him to give him info like where it is, doors not locked, window open,  etc. Would annoy me to be honest! Prefer a dumb old car like mine. 

My Yaris Cross does that too, useful if you do forget to lock it, which I have done a couple of times, allows me to lock car remotely via the App. The location finder is useful in a very large car park as we found out a month or so back when we couldn’t remember which row we had parked in!

I don’t find the features annoying at all. 

Edited by Snow Hill

1 minute ago, DamianG said:

This picture has been posted on social media today (I believe from a MSC Virtuosa). How ridiculous. 

Well, I have never seen that one before!!!!  They'll be taking them into the theatre soon☺️

Ridiculous indeed.

• Like 2

We recently booked a P&O cruise for the first time for a number of years because we decided to do a winter cruise and Princess don't do them out of Southampton.  We had a drinks package included on Princess as part of the deal, we don't drink much alcohol but we did enjoy a number of Costa coffees and speciality teas most days, so we are looking at the P&O drinks package and were wondering if anyone on this site has taken the package what they thought of it.

4 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

On a slow day... if it's got wells and if there are yellow lines...

I  hated my boss at work and one day I heard he had fell  fell down a wishing well😮

I was amazed, I didn't think they worked. 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 10

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

We recently booked a P&O cruise for the first time for a number of years because we decided to do a winter cruise and Princess don't do them out of Southampton.  We had a drinks package included on Princess as part of the deal, we don't drink much alcohol but we did enjoy a number of Costa coffees and speciality teas most days, so we are looking at the P&O drinks package and were wondering if anyone on this site has taken the package what they thought of it.

I’ve never taken a drinks package but P&O’s drink prices are reasonable so I don’t think it’s worth it. We have something like a glass of wine with dinner and a couple of cocktails or shorts and it doesn’t pay to get a package!

I’m not sure about a non alcohol package, that might work, perhaps someone else can comment?

• Like 1

Evening all, just catching up. 
Went to see 42nd Street at the theatre in Canterbury last night, very good evening! Amazing tap dancing. We had a meal beforehand and the prices are really high now! We both agreed it was lovely but the prices were noticeabley dearer.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Evening all, just catching up. 
Went to see 42nd Street at the theatre in Canterbury last night, very good evening! Amazing tap dancing. We had a meal beforehand and the prices are really high now! We both agreed it was lovely but the prices were noticeabley dearer.

Glad that you enjoyed it, as we did! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

I’ve never taken a drinks package but P&O’s drink prices are reasonable so I don’t think it’s worth it. We have something like a glass of wine with dinner and a couple of cocktails or shorts and it doesn’t pay to get a package!

I’m not sure about a non alcohol package, that might work, perhaps someone else can comment?

Thanks.  DH downloaded the P&O drinks menu last night and we then calculated how much we would spend on a typical day on drinks when we are on holiday and have decided that the drinks package is not for us.

• Like 7

Thanks.  DH downloaded the P&O drinks menu last night and we then calculated how much we would spend on a typical day on drinks when we are on holiday and have decided that the drinks package is not for us.

Wise call I think Josy. 

We drank a fair bit (for us) with many Mojitos, the odd bottle of wine, plenty of Morettis and bottles of Corona, coffee, nightcaps etc and although we probably exceeded the DP cost on odd days, we were nowhere near the cheapest option overall. 

Actually, our overall onboard spend including Epicurean and a couple of Glass House visits, was about what the DP would have cost. 

I don't think we could physically get value out of it, but I am aware others do. 

Andy 

• Like 7

It might be an option if it was per cabin not per person.

Why do P&O and other cruise lines make it per person only and not have a per cabin option? 

Edited by Snow Hill
  • Like 3

45 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Wise call I think Josy. 

We drank a fair bit (for us) with many Mojitos, the odd bottle of wine, plenty of Morettis and bottles of Corona, coffee, nightcaps etc and although we probably exceeded the DP cost on odd days, we were nowhere near the cheapest option overall. 

Actually, our overall onboard spend including Epicurean and a couple of Glass House visits, was about what the DP would have cost. 

I don't think we could physically get value out of it, but I am aware others do. 

Andy 

This is why DH decided to do a quick calculation of what the approximate PAYG cost would be based on what we would normally spend on drinks.

We always have a couple of Glass House visits, usually for lunch.  DH likes to go to the Beach House at least once because he likes the Lava Rock thing.  I prefer Sindhu so we usually go there once and we both like Epicurian.

Did you book the restaurants before boarding or was it easy to get in if you decided on the day ?