P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

So sorry to hear your news Sue, sending all the best to you and your family.

I can really relate to your situation, my dad died just at the point that he had become my mum's carer, so not only did I have to sort everything out in relation to my dad's funeral and estate etc, I also had to sort out my mum's care situation too, and get power of attorney for her affairs. 

All I can say is that it was a long and winding road,, but I got there in the end. I listed everything that I needed to do, and as long as I could tick one thing off my list each day I knew I was progressing

All I can say is, don't try to do everything all at once, and allow time for yourself too.

Best wishes x 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Advice on Uber use would be much appreciated. I've downloaded the App and added credit card details.

I'm currently at a Southampton city centre Premier Inn after having travelled down from the NW on an Eavesway coach to City terminal (excellent by the way). I should have been sailing to Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity Silhouette today but due to the storms and the closure of Lisbon port, she is still sailing and the latest ETA is 5.30 pm today, Sunday.

Celebrity offered boarding at 11.00-1 am initially (now moved to 9.30-1.00 am) or 7.00-10.30 in the morning, and that was our choice; hence the PI booking.  They have also laid on a shuttle service to the shopping area, which coincidentally is 150 yards from the PI, so getting here was unexpectedly easy.

Tomorrow morning we will go to the port early-ish - about 7.30 I expect. On check in I mentioned this and the assistant recommended we pre- book a taxi (direct line in foyer) rather than using Uber, saying it could be difficult in the morning.

I've no experience of Uber but thought this would give us flexibility if we are even earlier. Anyone think Uber might be a problem for us early on a Monday morning in Southampton?

Thanks 

4 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

Just a thought Sue.  It might be worth looking at taxis, just to get things done and to take a little off John’s shoulders?  Or maybe Rotary or similar can organise lifts from volunteers?

As everyone has said, look after yourself.  Know when it’s time to ensure a little “me time”

This, like all things, will pass x

I have nothing against getting a taxi and know the local phone number off by heart, but it’s a bit more difficult with my Mum, she has a trolley which she is very wobbly with and a very heavy wheelchair that is not really suitable although we used it in the hospital when we were visiting I couldn’t have managed it without John. 

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 3

43 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Advice on Uber use would be much appreciated. I've downloaded the App and added credit card details.

I'm currently at a Southampton city centre Premier Inn after having travelled down from the NW on an Eavesway coach to City terminal (excellent by the way). I should have been sailing to Fort Lauderdale on Celebrity Silhouette today but due to the storms and the closure of Lisbon port, she is still sailing and the latest ETA is 5.30 pm today, Sunday.

Celebrity offered boarding at 11.00-1 am initially (now moved to 9.30-1.00 am) or 7.00-10.30 in the morning, and that was our choice; hence the PI booking.  They have also laid on a shuttle service to the shopping area, which coincidentally is 150 yards from the PI, so getting here was unexpectedly easy.

Tomorrow morning we will go to the port early-ish - about 7.30 I expect. On check in I mentioned this and the assistant recommended we pre- book a taxi (direct line in foyer) rather than using Uber, saying it could be difficult in the morning.

I've no experience of Uber but thought this would give us flexibility if we are even earlier. Anyone think Uber might be a problem for us early on a Monday morning in Southampton?

Thanks 

Sorry no experience of Uber.

We stayed at the West Quay Premier Inn in September and pre-booked two taxis from the foyer. They arrived at the time we booked and I received text notifications with the registration numbers and the type of cars just before they arrived. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, purplesea said:

Sorry no experience of Uber.

We stayed at the West Quay Premier Inn in September and pre-booked two taxis from the foyer. They arrived at the time we booked and I received text notifications with the registration numbers and the type of cars just before they arrived. 

Thank you. That was very useful information and that’s what I’m going to do now you’ve given me that information 👍

I’m both a planner and a worrier - and taxis and Ubers take me out of my comfort zone!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I have nothing against getting a taxi and know the local phone number off by heart, but it’s a bit more difficult with my Mum, she has a trolley which she is very wobbly with and a very heavy wheelchair that is not really suitable although we used it in the hospital when we were visiting I couldn’t have managed it without John. 

Forgive me if I am mentioning something you have already done but maybe a local authority assessment could help with suggestions and more aids around the house that might assist your mum?  The LA were very good with a gentleman for whom I hold Power of Attorney and provided many aids. The falling is obviously a big concern.  We did buy a lightweight aluminium wheelchair for short car journeys for him, which I could manage, although I appreciate that as a non-driver this would not help you.

Really feel for you right now. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Thank you. That was very useful information and that’s what I’m going to do now you’ve given me that information 👍

I’m both a planner and a worrier - and taxis and Ubers take me out of my comfort zone!

There is a phone next to the lifts which gets you straight through to a reliable taxi company most guests use.

Last time there was a fixed £10 price so we didn't have to worry about being stuck in traffic and the meter running.

I hope you have a fantastic cruise.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, mrsgoggins said:

Forgive me if I am mentioning something you have already done but maybe a local authority assessment could help with suggestions and more aids around the house that might assist your mum?  The LA were very good with a gentleman for whom I hold Power of Attorney and provided many aids. The falling is obviously a big concern.  We did buy a lightweight aluminium wheelchair for short car journeys for him, which I could manage, although I appreciate that as a non-driver this would not help you.

Really feel for you right now. 

Thank you.The assessment has already been done and aids provided at their flat. We’ve bought over the rail thing to be used on our toilet, luckily we have a downstairs toilet as it’s not easy to get mum up our stairs, once a day I can just about manage. 

To be honest, she doesn’t fall (fingers crossed) here because we don’t let her! My Dad would let her go about her merry way - for over 60 years he was used to her being busy. I can understand why he didn’t follow her about. She is very ‘naughty’ though and doesn’t use certain things properly- John calls it ‘going rogue’!

• Like 13

12 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

So for the next week we were just constantly at the hospital for most of the day. Very very draining and hard on my mum in her wheelchair. We didn’t have time to do anything else as we were up there 8 or 9 most days.

My uncle rushed up from Dover the first night and Dad was very chatty that evening but after that he was mostly asleep and he didn’t have anything to eat and drink for about 3 or 4 days, it was unbelievable he lasted so long. They told us that first day he had about 24 hours!!

Trouble is you don’t get a death certificate for about 5 days now so we’re just in limbo. John has had to go back to work today. We’ll need him to take us to all the various places. It’s going to be another difficult week.

Words are never enough. You and your family are  in our thoughts and prayers. xx

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I’m just catching up on this and Sue I am so sorry to hear about your dad my thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time , I can only express what others have said about “Tell me once “ and asking for about 6 copies of death certificate, it cuts the stress down a little being prepared as some established departments request them and I think we went through 3 , again take time about everything and only have one goal each day and ask for help when you need it . Virtual hug from us all .

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mrsgoggins said:

A lot of cab firms now have a computerised service.After you have booked with a human it keeps you informed of when dispatched and the type of car when it arrives.Even after a few months the system in Basingstoke answers my mrs with "hello Marilyn",lol.

Edited by brian1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, indiana123 said:

Usual place, usual time

Anyone else up?   The coffee and bread and marmite are out again!!!!😀🤣

Yes, me too - but did sleep for 6 hours so can't complain, except I had covid jab on Saturday and still have a painful left arm, and felt seedy yesterday.  However, a bit better so far today.

Sometimes just to have a day when nothing goes wrong is a pleasure, isn't it!  And one where everything goes right is to be treasured.  I hope we all have a day more like that today!

• Like 11

2 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Usual place, usual time

Anyone else up?   The coffee and bread and marmite are out again!!!!😀🤣

I was up at 5:40. The plus side is that all of the housework is done other than the ironing which I will do when I get back from the school run.

.DH keeps telling me that it is fortunate that our house is detached so I'm not disturbing any neighbours.

• Like 9

Good morning everyone, hope you are all ok today. I feel for you early risers, my best sleeping is usually 4-7ish. We are all different in our quirks and ways I suspect.

Some of you may remember we lost our lovely golden retriever dog to cancer in August. I can’t remember if I told you but we have got another dog, here she is, Minnie a poodle x shitzu, 2 years old 

IMG_9807.png

• Like 23

27 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Good morning everyone, hope you are all ok today. I feel for you early risers, my best sleeping is usually 4-7ish. We are all different in our quirks and ways I suspect.

Some of you may remember we lost our lovely golden retriever dog to cancer in August. I can’t remember if I told you but we have got another dog, here she is, Minnie a poodle x shitzu, 2 years old 

IMG_9807.png

Minnie the Moocher! She's gorgeous Michelle. I wish you many happy years together. Jane xxx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

52 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

IMG_9807.png

She's lovely. I'm sure you'll have some great times with her.

• Like 2

Thank you again @grapau27 and @purplesea. In the end I decided to try Uber for the first time and it worked like a dream! Lovely driver who arrived within the 1 minute the App showed! I did end up tipping double the £2 I had intended due to inexperience, but still less than £10. 

I'm now on the ship with a window table in Tuscan Grill, looking out at rain and Norwegian Star docked. I just need the storm gods to stay away for the next 10 days 🤞.

Wishing you all a good week but especially those of you who have challenges to face.

• Like 12