P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

Good morning all the early risers.

I have been up for hours. It’s heaving with rain again here and battering off the windows as there is wind behind it. Sick of the sight of rain and it must be a worry for those north of us as they have flood warnings yet again.

Small things make me happy and I found an interesting recipe yesterday for Soul cakes so I’ll make some for Haloween. I have some chocolates and sweets in, not that we ever get any children here as they are all grown and moved on but just in case (and OH scoops them up the following day if not used).

Have a good day all.

• Like 11

Up early (for me) this morning because our son is driving back to Southampton after spending a week up with us, he ‘worked from home’ yesterday. He should be back in time to go to the Southampton v Birmingham game at 12.30🤞. He certainly got me active, we walked about 15 miles in 4 walks this week Monday to Thursday, I must now keep it up as I used to walk a lot but have become lazy.

9c, calm and no rain here but looks like some rain overnight because the roads are wet. 

Thank you for all the birthday congratulations yesterday, in the end had fish and chips from the local chippy for tea with OH and son washed down with a bottle of cava🍾 I know how to celebrate😂

• Like 14

Good morning from sunny Athens where it is currently a balmy 23 degrees set to rise to 26😎. Last day today though so home tomorrow to a very wet Scotland!   It’s a big holiday here with lots of parades etc taking place. Safe journey to all of you travelling to Southampton. 

• Like 15

Well it’s sunny and blue skies here but wet and due to rain again later , I have my grandson staying again this weekend and also last weekend, I’m off to see my son and his partner dog today her name is dolly and is 1 1/2 and has just had her toe amputated due to pulling her claw out when she was a puppy and it’s now caused problems, she’s looking very sorry for herself so taking her a few treats.

IMG_4514.png

• Like 12

I was out by 7 am this morning because I am trying unsuccessfully to lose weight on preparation for our next cruise so I thought that the Slimming World group which meets in the church hall seemed like a good idea.  They don't want me because I am 1 lb believe what they consider to be a healthy weight for my height and age, so I suppose that is a good thing.

• Like 12

16 minutes ago, Purdey16 said:

Well it’s sunny and blue skies here but wet and due to rain again later , I have my grandson staying again this weekend and also last weekend, I’m off to see my son and his partner dog today her name is dolly and is 1 1/2 and has just had her toe amputated due to pulling her claw out when she was a puppy and it’s now caused problems, she’s looking very sorry for herself so taking her a few treats.

IMG_4514.png

I always feel sorry when I see animals with bandages.  When our dog had to have a minor operation on his foot he would keep lifting it up to show it off.  He was naughty and tried to chew the bandage so he had to have a buster collar round his neck to stop him getting to it.

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

I was out by 7 am this morning because I am trying unsuccessfully to lose weight on preparation for our next cruise so I thought that the Slimming World group which meets in the church hall seemed like a good idea.  They don't want me because I am 1 lb believe what they consider to be a healthy weight for my height and age, so I suppose that is a good thing.

I tend to think that actual weight and BMI don't mean a lot.  It is more what you look like, to both yourself and others,  If you feel a bit 'bulgy' anywhere (as I usually do) you know that it would be good to lose a few pounds, but if you look in the mirror and think 'I am a lot taller than I am wide' you are OK, in my book anyway.

• Like 11

Happy birthday to everyone who’s celebrated recently. A bit of positive feedback on P&O, as I mentioned on another thread we’ve had to cancel our upcoming cruise on Iona as I’m not recovered enough to travel ☹️. We cancelled the back end of last week and had our cancellation invoice and refund due on Monday! Really impressed with how quickly it was handled.

Just need to make a decision on our March cruise now as final payment is due early December.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Josy1953 said:

Really!!! 

I have just been nominated as 'Mr Sleek' for our Slimming World group and have never heard of anyone being turned away. We have some very slim people in our group, although they do like you to set a target of at least half a stone, so maybe that is the reason. 

It's not rocket science really, for me it is really cutting out pastry, white bread and reducing sugar (only a couple of biscuits, not the pack)... 

I have to lose wait to be able to put it all back on again on our next cruise... 

Take their advice as a positive though Josy, you are perfect as you are. 

Andy 

• Like 15

2 hours ago, Purdey16 said:

IMG_4514.png

Poor Dolly, hopefully it will heal quickly and she will be running around in no time

Michelle

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

I lost 10 pounds about three months ago but unfortunately I have put about 7 back on. I need to cut out the wine, bread and cakes but unfortunately they are the things on my “favourite” list. My clothes are beginning to feel a bit snug so I am going to have to do something about it

Michelle 

• Like 7

My wife is type 2 diabetic, almost certainly caused by her love for chocolate and sugar based food. She decided five months ago to cut them out, I was sceptical but to her credit she has totally changed her eating habits. She has lost 10 kgs and her insulin has dropped from 38 units twice a day to 8 units twice a day. Diabetic clinic are astounded and the hope is she will not need insulin in the near future.

Just shows what can be done with willpower.

• Like 20

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Really!!! 

I have just been nominated as 'Mr Sleek' for our Slimming World group and have never heard of anyone being turned away. We have some very slim people in our group, although they do like you to set a target of at least half a stone, so maybe that is the reason. 

It's not rocket science really, for me it is really cutting out pastry, white bread and reducing sugar (only a couple of biscuits, not the pack)... 

I have to lose wait to be able to put it all back on again on our next cruise... 

Take their advice as a positive though Josy, you are perfect as you are. 

Andy 

Congratulations on being Mr Sleek. 

You are right that they like people to have a target of at least half a stone, the group leader explained that to me but also said that they do not like to enrol new members who are already below what they consider to be a healthy weight as there is a slight chance that they could have body image issues that could lead to health problems.

I will just use the money that I would have spent on Slimming world to buy some more shoes :classic_smile:

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Nothing to do with cruising but do any of you good people know of a nice resort within reasonable distance of Palma in Majorca- looking to spend a week next May with my daughter.  Hotel recommendations also welcome. 

What do you class as a "Nice" resort?

After yesterday’s busy and emotional day at my FiL funeral, today has been one of doing very little, given it was a showery day, we probably wouldn’t have ventured far anyway.

Tomorrow looks a little better, so hopefully I can finish of the bulb planting, cutback some shrubs and generally tidy up the garden and put away the loose pots in case Storm Ciaran makes am appearance next week. 

• Like 4

Had a busy day booking our (my first) ever trip to Scotland.  Three days in Edinburgh next July with the main event being a concert of Paul Weller at the Castle on the Saturday evening.  Flying up from Southampton on the Friday morning and back late Monday afternoon.  Hotels were difficult to source but I've found a Premier Inn on Princes Street at nearly £200 a night which seems about half the price of anything else so hopefully that will be okay.  My husband has been before but only on business so never as a proper visitor.

I'd be very grateful if any of our Scottish friends have any suggestions for things to see, places to eat and nice drinking establishments.  Needless to say I'm very excited even this far out.

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Megabear2 said:

Had a busy day booking our (my first) ever trip to Scotland.  Three days in Edinburgh next July with the main event being a concert of Paul Weller at the Castle on the Saturday evening.  Flying up from Southampton on the Friday morning and back late Monday afternoon.  Hotels were difficult to source but I've found a Premier Inn on Princes Street at nearly £200 a night which seems about half the price of anything else so hopefully that will be okay.  My husband has been before but only on business so never as a proper visitor.

I'd be very grateful if any of our Scottish friends have any suggestions for things to see, places to eat and nice drinking establishments.  Needless to say I'm very excited even this far out.

So jealous!!!

Got straight onto accommodation after seeing that Weller was playing.  Decided that we weren't prepared to pay the money that even AirbNB's were asking.  That's Edinburgh in July for you.

Have a great time.

Plenty to do during the day.  Take a bus to Leith to visit Britannia, not the P&O one!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

So jealous!!!

Got straight onto accommodation after seeing that Weller was playing.  Decided that we weren't prepared to pay the money that even AirbNB's were asking.  That's Edinburgh in July for you.

Have a great time.

Plenty to do during the day.  Take a bus to Leith to visit Britannia, not the P&O one!

Was quite a shock.  At least the tickets were only £57.50 each so a bargain there and the flights were only £80 each as well.  Been an expensive concert/hotel week for me.  Elbow in May at the O2 bought on Thursday in the fan presale and now this one, the hotel in London was cheaper than Edinburgh and that's a Marriot!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

We have stayed at the Premier Inn on Princes Street.  Had a room overlooking inside road. Will look into room number and where we ate tomorrow. 

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Congratulations on being Mr Sleek. 

You are right that they like people to have a target of at least half a stone, the group leader explained that to me but also said that they do not like to enrol new members who are already below what they consider to be a healthy weight as there is a slight chance that they could have body image issues that could lead to health problems.

I will just use the money that I would have spent on Slimming world to buy some more shoes :classic_smile:

We've never joined SW but bought shedloads of their recipe books.No matter how many herbs and spices in them they always taste a bit bland.The secret,IMO,is just to cut down on bread and carbs.

• Like 4