P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

48 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

We are now into our third week here in Fuerteventura and still loving it. Albeit we don't do a lot the weather and walks are lovely, I even went for a paddle earlier in the week. We have a lovely long z shaped swimming pool at the complex which is heated. We went out for a ruby earlier and really enjoyed at the Masala Indian restaurant, another one we are likely to go back to.

DSCF0082.JPG

DSCF0076.JPG

DSCF0071.JPG

DSCF0070.JPG

DSCF0062.JPG

DSCF0056.JPG

DSCF0083.JPG

Nice photos Phil.

How is your hip?.

5 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Just popped in to say hello folks. I have not had time to read everything so hope all is well (especially with those who were poorly).

Still basking in the sunshine which makes a lovely change from home. Walking many miles a day, enjoying good food and magnificent views. This is the life.

Stay well all.

You are certainly escaping some horrendous weather here.   Sounds like you could be in Madeira?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grapau27 said:

Nice photos Phil.

How is your hip?.

Thank's Graham, the hip is great, we are walking several miles a day and no ill effects. Are you thinking of getting yours sorted yet?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Thank's Graham, the hip is great, we are walking several miles a day and no ill effects. Are you thinking of getting yours sorted yet?

That is great news Phil.

I hope to get through to the end of summer first 🤞

• Like 3

Good Morning everyone.

I am looking for some information about travel insurance this morning. 

We have been insured with Staysure for many years but yesterday when I tried to print our insurance certificate I got a message that our account was locked.  I rang them and they said that it was because DH is currently waiting for results of a biopsy. When I renewed a few weeks ago I told them about the biopsy and they said that they would insure both of us but DH would not be covered for his skin lesion (the reason for his biopsy) now they are saying that he is not covered until he gets an all clear result from his biopsy.

I was wondering if any if you have managed to get insurance while waiting for results of biopsies and if so who with ?

If I can't get him covered I will need to cancel our Easter cruise.

Thanks in advance for any help.

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Good Morning everyone.

We have been insured with Staysure for many years but yesterday when I tried to print our insurance certificate I got a message that our account was locked.  I rang them and they said that it was because DH is currently waiting for results of a biopsy. When I renewed a few weeks ago I told them about the biopsy and they said that they would insure both of us but DH would not be covered for his skin lesion (the reason for his biopsy) now they are saying that he is not covered until he gets an all clear result from his biopsy.

I was wondering if any if you have managed to get insurance while waiting for results of biopsies and if so who with ?

I used to use Free Spirit via P J Hayman and they were quite good, and covered a couple of cruises when Staysure wouldn't, but in that situation they would only offer single trip cover.

Quite a lot of us now use Nationwide which is very competitive, but I have no experience of how they would react in your situation.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Good Morning everyone.

The insurance conversations should be recorded so if you only renewed a few weeks ago and you were given wrong information to book you should be able to dispute your insurance cover and even get all of your money back if it is less than 28 days ago I believe.

I would chase up your husband's biopsy because travel insurance companies don't like uncertainty.

You should be covered for everything else except the lesion until he gets the all clear.

I had a similar experience with my Basal cell skin cancer but was covered for everything else with All Clear.

I would question why your account is locked.

Good luck.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, Ilovemygarden said:

You are certainly escaping some horrendous weather here.   Sounds like you could be in Madeira?  

Yes sunny Madeira.

Love it at this time of the year as it is quieter and the Levadas are great with virtually no one there. The flowers are all out this year which is early even for Madeira.

Lots of ships in each day except today when there are one at all!

unfortunately back to the cold and wet again next week.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

Yes sunny Madeira.

Love it at this time of the year as it is quieter and the Levadas are great with virtually no one there. The flowers are all out this year which is early even for Madeira.

Lots of ships in each day except today when there are one at all!

unfortunately back to the cold and wet again next week.

Yes Madeira is lovely isn’t it?   I’ll have a couple of days in Funchal a later this month when I  join Azura again in two weeks time.   My favourite port.  

• Like 7

Afternoon all, I’m very excited to say I’ve gone for it and booked a week’s cruise on Britannia! I was talking to people at work about how ridiculous it was that our manager won’t authorise any holiday until April and they said they just checked with each other!

So I’ve asked everyone in my team , no clashes so I’ve booked it! Our first 1 week cruise since 2019!! Due to you know what then my parents health.

We would have booked a 2 week one this year but still a bit nervous of leaving my mum even though I know she’s ‘safe’

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 12

Just now, Ilovemygarden said:

Yes Madeira is lovely isn’t it?   I’ll have a couple of days in Funchal a later this month when I  join Azura again in two weeks time.   My favourite port.  

What are you planning to do while here?

We did an excellent food and culture tour with a local company. Great value for what we did - the company is “Madeira exquisite food on foot”. Got to try local fish, fruits, cheese, pastries, Christmas Day breakfast,  drinks etc etc over 4 hours walking round Funchal along with history and information about local culture. 

We also found a really nicewine bar just off the main drag down from the Catherdral called  Barca Vehla on Rui Dos Murcas. There are no wine lists or prices. You tell mine host what you like and he selects an appropriate wine for you. We have never been more than 5 euros a glass and had some really nice wine to try.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Afternoon all, I’m very excited to say I’ve gone for it and booked a week’s cruise on Britannia! I was talking to people at work about how ridiculous it was that our manager won’t authorise any holiday until April and they said they just checked with each other!

So I’ve asked everyone in my team , no clashes so I’ve booked it! Our first 1 week cruise since 2019!! Due to you know what then my parents health.

Wonderful news. Something to look forward to.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

What are you planning to do while here?

We did an excellent food and culture tour with a local company. Great value for what we did - the company is “Madeira exquisite food on foot”. Got to try local fish, fruits, cheese, pastries, Christmas Day breakfast,  drinks etc etc over 4 hours walking round Funchal along with history and information about local culture. 

We also found a really nicewine bar just off the main drag down from the Catherdral called  Barca Vehla on Rui Dos Murcas. There are no wine lists or prices. You tell mine host what you like and he selects an appropriate wine for you. We have never been more than 5 euros a glass and had some really nice wine to try.

Thanks - I like the sound of that wine bar (I’ve made a note of it).  I’m always a bit wary about booking tours in advance in Funchal because of the weather - if it rains, it rains 💦.   I had thought about a bus out to Camara de Lobos this time.  I know i visited there many years ago so maybe a trip down memory lane - or quite possibly won’t remember a thing about it! 🤔

• Like 2

1 hour ago, P&O SUE said:

We would have booked a 2 week one this year but still a bit nervous of leaving my mum even though I know she’s ‘safe’

So pleased for you Sue!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ilovemygarden said:

Thanks - I like the sound of that wine bar (I’ve made a note of it).  I’m always a bit wary about booking tours in advance in Funchal because of the weather - if it rains, it rains 💦.   I had thought about a bus out to Camara de Lobos this time.  I know i visited there many years ago so maybe a trip down memory lane - or quite possibly won’t remember a thing about it! 🤔

We have been using the local buses t travel around. Got a Giro card so a whole big 1.25 euros per journey. Walked along to Camera de Lobos from Funchal, nice village but not much to see (bus back).

We have been very lucky with perfect sunshine but apparently the week before we arrived was more patchy weather wise with rain. Currently cowering in the shade drinking fresh Poncha.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, lincslady said:

I hadn't heard of Poncha, so just looked it up.  Sounds really delicious - and I wonder if the name comes from the same origin as our Punch, as it seems to be slightly similar.

I’m not sure about the origins but it’s one of my favourite Madeira drinks. I like the regional one with freshly squeezed orange and lemon (honey and rum) rather than the Fisherman’s which is just lemon and much more of the local sugar cane rum - too strong for me.

Next time in Madeira give it a try but only from a bar that squeezes fresh fruit (some use bottled juice). I can recommend bar number 2 near the cable car or Rei de Poncha in the town centre near the Catherdral.

Nikita is also interesting, wine, beer and pineapple ice cream mixed!

Madeira grow tea and that’s really refreshing with a pastel de nata, a corsage cheese cake or beignet and cane sugar syrup.

I love the unusual foods here. We had black scabbard fish for dinner last night with banana and passion fruit sauce. Picture attached, ugly fish but nice to eat.

IMG_3385.jpeg

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Have to say that we didn't see anything like this in the Caribbean. What a beautiful sky this evening. 

20240201_172458.jpg

20240201_172623.jpg

Gorgeous! I saw the other day a weatherman said sand from the Sahara has been blowing up and that’s why we’ve had vivid sunsets and sunrises lately!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 4

Just now, P&O SUE said:

Gorgeous! I saw the other day a weatherman said sand from the Sahara has been blowing up and that’s why we’ve had vivid sunsets and sunrises lately!

One thing we noticed in the Caribbean is that the sun goes down so much quicker .. the sunsets didn't seem.as pretty but that may be the weather. Stunning tonight

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eglesbrech said:

Walked along to Camera de Lobos from Funchal, nice village but not much to see (bus back).

Last time we were in Camera de Lobos we got a 'tuna sandwich' from the cafe at the market. It wasn't like any tuna sandwich I have ever had before in my life - the tuna had obviously been swimming rather recently and had never seen the inside of a can, and instead it was a thick whole piece of tuna that had been marinated before being placed in a freshly baked crispy bun - absolutely fabulous and ridiculously inexpensive.

Anyway, here in Santa Cruz it was a fabulously sunny day for Iona's passengers who were filling the main street when we headed down for lunch.

Everywhere in the centre is being set up for the upcoming carnival celebrations, including the La Charca 'puddle' on Plaza Espana being drained to create a big open space.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Josy1953 said:

Good Morning everyone.

Insurancewith insures people with serious conditions very reasonably. I'm sure they would cover your husband if he is only waiting results 

I think I should be feeling sad, but I'm not.

After last months spinal injections which didn't have a lot of effect I met with the lovely  Surgeon and we had a long chat.   He said that serious consideration was given to surgery but because of the state of my spine now, and the various points of severe pain, surgery would not help the problem so we must think outside the box and  go down the road of pain management .   He is suggesting that after weaning off present medication we go down the patches route, and if that doesn't help there are other Clinics that can help.

I feel somehow that  I  can  now come to terms  that I wont be running, or walking,  🤣round the block.  I needed to hear things from someone else outside the family and he was very good. I can get around indoors, although I have bought myself a posh rollator called "a swedish butler" (I wish) for when I need it (ie carrying food) and can use two sticks or my little efoldi outdoors.

And all because of that ^+^"^+ lift door!

Some may not agree but I am enjoying a  smashing bottle of Gary Barlow's Organic "Blush", have had  pasta tuna bake for dinner, and a new jigsaw to start in a minute, so all is good!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Just the same lovely sunset here in Lincs. as well this evening, and yes, a lovely sunrise sky too.  If it takes sand from the Sahara, so be it.  Although I hope we don't end up with a desert here as a result.

• Like 5