P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

4 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Me too Graham. 2.5 bisoprolol daily forever with the same heart rate as you. I've been on them since 2007 when I was diagnosed with SVT and cardioverted - not pleasant. I've been ok on them though. Jane xx

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis Jane but happy to hear the Bisoprolol is working well in regulating your heart rate.

Graham xx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Beckett said:

Me too Graham. 2.5 bisoprolol daily forever with the same heart rate as you. I've been on them since 2007 when I was diagnosed with SVT and cardioverted - not pleasant. I've been ok on them though. Jane xx

That’s the dose my mum has been taking, maybe they will change it now or maybe the pacemaker is the answer

Michelle

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Beckett said:

You got me checking now with my finger oxymeter Jane 🙂 58/96 at the moment .

The other year they juggled my meds around  bisoprolol now 1.2  and the ramiipril 5mg.

Best I have felt for ages with that dosage.

We sound like the walking wounded out of the Monty Python sketch ..

"It's just a flesh  wound "  Onwards and upwards 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

5 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

That’s the dose my mum has been taking, maybe they will change it now or maybe the pacemaker is the answer

Michelle

Not sure Michelle. When my own mum had a pacemaker fitted, she didn't have to take any medication alongside but this may depend on each patient's individual diagnosis. As long as your mum is being well looked after is all that matters. Hugs. Jane xx

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Peanut006 said:

Mum update - she is having a pacemaker fitted either Monday or Tuesday, she has to stay in hospital until then 

Michelle

Sorry to hear this Michelle, hope it all goes well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

You got me checking now with my finger oxymeter Jane 🙂 58/96 at the moment .

The other year they juggled my meds around  bisoprolol now 1.2  and the ramiipril 5mg.

Best I have felt for ages with that dosage.

We sound like the walking wounded out of the Monty Python sketch ..

"It's just a flesh  wound "  Onwards and upwards 🙃

Don't we just Kalos!  Poor old gits that we are. 58/96 is brilliant by the way. Jane xx

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Had a good meal out last night with my lovely friends I met in the early 90’s while working Saturdays in Sainsbury’s when our children with small! Now 3 of us are 60 this year and all but one have grandchildren!

We were the loudest group in the restaurant and the only ones there at 10.30pm! 🤭

• Like 12

On 2/9/2024 at 7:08 AM, Josy1953 said:

You probably fell into the school years where they thought that children needed milk because following the war years a lot of children had various deficiencies due to rationing.  I was born unable to tolerate milk or any other dairy products and 70 years later I still have really bad Indigestion if I have anything milky.

It wasn’t that  soon after the war about 1970! 😏

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, lincslady said:

The worst thing about the school milk was that  it was tepid.  I love cold milk, but warmish is  horrible.  Most of us felt the same.

I couldn’t drink it because yes it was tepid. Put me off milk for a long time. Little thirds of a bottle.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, lincslady said:

The worst thing about the school milk was that  it was tepid.  I love cold milk, but warmish is  horrible.  Most of us felt the same.

Not if you lived in the part of Scotland where I was brought up and went to school! I was once unable to reach school for two weeks... 20' snowdrifts. My sports day in June was abandoned one year... we couldn't see the finishing line through the blizzard. Ahhh... those were the days! 🥶 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

17 minutes ago, twotravellersLondon said:

Not if you lived in the part of Scotland where I was brought up and went to school! I was once unable to reach school for two weeks... 20' snowdrifts. My sports day in June was abandoned one year... we couldn't see the finishing line through the blizzard. Ahhh... those were the days! 🥶 

It was fine if they left it outside but for some unknown reason they used to bring it into the classrooms!

I passed my driving test in the snow, the three point turn was fun with snow piled up on both sides of the road.

It has definitely got warmer and wetter here, less snow and frost and more drizzle. It does still have its moments with minus something most of last week.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, twotravellersLondon said:

No guesses as to why you defected to lovely London then. 😰

Re the milk ...I loved my daily milk ...came in little bottles then a certain Margaret Thatcher got rid of it. Thatcher the Snatcher I think she was nick named then. Am not being political... it makes me smile that it took me so long to work out when they called her that!!!

• Like 2

Still free school milk for all Foundation Phase pupils in Wales (4-7 year olds) and the Tory opposition are actually pressing for it to be provided for older primary pupils too. Local primary schools have milk fridges to keep it cold. 

Edited by Ardennais
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Ardennais said:

Still free school milk for all Foundation Phase pupils in Wales (4-7 year olds) and the Tory opposition are actually pressing for it to be provided for older primary pupils too. Local primary schools have milk fridges to keep it cold. 

Ugh, my poor mum would have been writing notes until I was 7 then 😆

My sister doesn’t like milk now because they would put the school milk near the radiators !

12 hours ago, Presto2 said:

Re the milk ...I loved my daily milk ...came in little bottles then a certain Margaret Thatcher got rid of it. Thatcher the Snatcher I think she was nick named then. Am not being political... it makes me smile that it took me so long to work out when they called her that!!!

Sorry Presto but 🤢!

I was given a white coffee at my mum’s Home the other day when I clearly asked for black! It went down  the sink!

Good morning everyone.  Another early morning I was awake just before 4 am again.  I woke up thinking about the problems that I am experiencing with Staysure, almost 2 hours on the phone yesterday trying to sort out our travel insurance and it looks like a repeat today when they open at 10 am. When we renewed 3 weeks ago they said that they wouldn't cover DH's problem area on his shoulder because he was waiting for a hospital appointment but to call back when he had finished his treatment and that in the mean time he would be covered for everything else.  He received his biopsy result letter from the hospital saying that it was a benign seborrhoeic keratosis and does not need further investigation of treatment so he was now discharged from the hospital.  I called Staysure, paid an additional amount so that he would now be fully covered.  The young lady I spoke to said that she would send me a link that would unlock our account so that I could create a new password and download our documents.  I have still not received the link so I have no proof that we are insured so can't book a short cruise which we were looking at because feel that we need a rest.  Even worse is that I am concerned that we may not get the documentation before we are supposed to go on a cruise next month and so will have to cancel and lose over £4000.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Good morning everyone.  Another early morning I was awake just before 4 am again.  I woke up thinking about the problems that I am experiencing with Staysure, almost 2 hours on the phone yesterday trying to sort out our travel insurance and it looks like a repeat today when they open at 10 am. When we renewed 3 weeks ago they said that they wouldn't cover DH's problem area on his shoulder because he was waiting for a hospital appointment but to call back when he had finished his treatment and that in the mean time he would be covered for everything else.  He received his biopsy result letter from the hospital saying that it was a benign seborrhoeic keratosis and does not need further investigation of treatment so he was now discharged from the hospital.  I called Staysure, paid an additional amount so that he would now be fully covered.  The young lady I spoke to said that she would send me a link that would unlock our account so that I could create a new password and download our documents.  I have still not received the link so I have no proof that we are insured so can't book a short cruise which we were looking at because feel that we need a rest.  Even worse is that I am concerned that we may not get the documentation before we are supposed to go on a cruise next month and so will have to cancel and lose over £4000.

Did you have to pay extra even though the hospital confirmed no further treatment was needed - I think that's shocking.  I phoned my insurers the other day to report a smashed up foot that now has 13 screws and two plates to hold it together - no extra charge.  I was delighted.

Some insurances are getting silly - I have landlords insurance on a little property that increased from £70 something to £270 something a couple of weeks ago and last week my husbands car renewal had risen by £150 - no changes or claims - how does this happen?

I hope you get sorted quickly so you can have your cruise.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Waju said:

Did you have to pay extra even though the hospital confirmed no further treatment was needed - I think that's shocking.  I phoned my insurers the other day to report a smashed up foot that now has 13 screws and two plates to hold it together - no extra charge.  I was delighted.

Some insurances are getting silly - I have landlords insurance on a little property that increased from £70 something to £270 something a couple of weeks ago and last week my husbands car renewal had risen by £150 - no changes or claims - how does this happen?

I hope you get sorted quickly so you can have your cruise.

Yes I did have to pay and extra £198, needless to say we will not be renewing with Staysure next year.  We have been with them for several years but like everything else you don't know how good they are until something goes wrong.  We were insured with Insure and Go before that but when we hit 65 they really whacked the premium up so we looked around and Staysure seemed to be the most reasonable and I didn't find any bad reviews.  You live and learn as my mum used to say.

• Like 4

Staysure have just had some very bad press where it is alleged they caused the death of a man in Cape Verde as they wouldn’t authorise a medical ambulance to Gran Canaria for a week. At that point, it was too late.

• Like 3

Selbourne has been kindly providing copies of menus on his live blog. There is a very high proportion of vegetarian and vegan food across the menus, particularly the at lunch time. I didn’t want to hijack his blog so am adding these thoughts here.

While I personally enjoy this type of food and eat mostly veggie with the odd bit of meat and fish when I fancy it, the choice is becoming less for those who prefer meat with most meals. For committed carnivores like some of my travelling companions the choice seems more limited than in the past.

Out of curiosity I looked up the statistics for the U.K. on vegetarian and vegan numbers

According to the vegetarian society it is 4.5% of the population (veggie and vegan). According to UKGov it is 3% vegetarian and 1% vegan.

So under 5% of the population yet P&O lunch menus have a massive percentage, particularly for lunch. Many of the desserts are vegan.

Why do you think P&O have headed so prominently in this direction: Attracting the young? Green credentials? Costs? Something else?

• Like 10