P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

13 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We kept some back from the fish and chips.

We used the Daily Sport which had scary stories about sprouts that attacked folk

walking up their own garden path .

Thinking back I would sit there crapping ..Oh wait a minute 🙃

Unlike Avril, we were far too poor to afford a hook we just had a tack 😉

• Haha 8

Michelle - I just think that your mindset does seem to change a bit once you are over, say, 85.  Especially if you don't walk too well; everything seems to take a bit longer than it used to.  It does not mean your brain isn't still pretty active, but you don't do quite so many things in one day, and actually enjoy a few days a week where you are just quiet at home.  Certainly that applies to me, and probably your Mum too.  We still enjoy days out etc., but then need a bit of time to recover!  I am generalising, but my oldest friend, still mentally very bright, feels exactly as I do, so I think it is quite common - and we do not talk about it to our children!  Just try to keep cheerful and carry on.

I hope that whatever care she needs will be forthcoming soon, and  small meals from M and S will almost certainly tempt her, particularly as compared to hospital food.

• Like 11

43 minutes ago, lincslady said:

Michelle - I just think that your mindset does seem to change a bit once you are over, say, 85.  Especially if you don't walk too well; everything seems to take a bit longer than it used to.  It does not mean your brain isn't still pretty active, but you don't do quite so many things in one day, and actually enjoy a few days a week where you are just quiet at home.  Certainly that applies to me, and probably your Mum too.  We still enjoy days out etc., but then need a bit of time to recover!  I am generalising, but my oldest friend, still mentally very bright, feels exactly as I do, so I think it is quite common - and we do not talk about it to our children!  Just try to keep cheerful and carry on.

I hope that whatever care she needs will be forthcoming soon, and  small meals from M and S will almost certainly tempt her, particularly as compared to hospital food.

I think you are absolutely spot on there lincslady. She likes to go out and she also just enjoys staying in relaxing too. We are taking her on holiday to Devon first week in July along with my daughter, son in law and her grandchildren so four generations going. We have made sure she has her own bedroom, bathroom and tv for quiet time for her. She has already told us she won’t be going out every day as Wimbledon is on

Michelle

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, davecttr said:

Just booked a surgical referral appointment for my hands problem. The 13th March is OK but the average wait for surgery is currently about 26 weeks from that date. Some may wait less time, some more. That works out at mid September 😧. My Arcadia cruise is in July with the final payment date in March. I must check to see if Travel Insurance is concerned about Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Trigger Finger 🤞

My Mrs had steroid jabs recently for CTS and has improved it greatly,luckily surgery was only a last resort.With the trigger finger,if it gets itchy just tell everyone to run.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

As with any car short runs are drain on the battery especially if you have the heating/air conditioning on, radio etc. in my service report it indicated I had a period where my battery went below the recommended levels, checking back on the app I noticed it was a week or 2 where I only did a couple of 4 mile round trip journeys, the next week we went on a 190 mile trip which fully charged the 12v battery. I do at least one or 2 20+ round trips a week which keeps battery charged up. 

One thing I would like to see added is a battery level indicator for the 12v battery, you can see the level for the hybrid battery, but it’s the 12v that often gives the red light.

My Golf gives me a warning message when the 12v battery has a low charge, however since my car has a stop start feature, I already know if the battery is low, because the stop start ceases to operate.

8 hours ago, Peanut006 said:

Kind of you to think about my mum Graham. You won’t believe it but when I visited last night she was like a different person. She walked around the ward with my hubby using her Walker. Her mind and speech was a sharp as it’s ever been. She walked around during the day too with the physio and occ health lady. They say she can come home as soon as care is in place at home. Unbelievable, but I am very happy

Michelle

Great news Michelle. So pleased for you and of course your mum who must be worried about not being at home. Give her a special hug today 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Presto2 said:

Great news Michelle. So pleased for you and of course your mum who must be worried about not being at home. Give her a special hug today 🙂

I am going to set off to see her soon, I will definitely give her a big hug tonight 

Michelle

• Like 7

Hello all, as you can see I’m catching up while not sleeping! Luckily it’s Saturday so I can go back to sleep hopefully or have an afternoon nap later!

@Megabear2 what an horrendous experience you had! Appalling service as well trying to get the plumber. Everything seems to be a trial nowadays.

@Peanut006 so pleased to hear your mum has turned a corner. I loved her saying she won’t go out every day on holiday as Wimbledon is on 😁

We had a bit of a drama Wednesday. I was at home in the afternoon after being in the office earlier and luckily John was home. I got a call from Mum’s home saying she’d had a fall and she seemed ok but had bumped her head so had called the paramedics to check her out. They, of course, decided to take her to hospital  ‘ just in case’ which meant we had to rush to A&E because no one from the Home had gone with her .

The traffic was horrendous as it was raining hard and was school picking up time! Anyway we were’only’ there for about 2 hrs and she was declared fit to go. Phew! If they’d decided to do a scan it would have been hours more so we got lucky there. I thought things were going to be easier with Mum in the home! 

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Like 12

39 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Hello all, as you can see I’m catching up while not sleeping! Luckily it’s Saturday so I can go back to sleep hopefully or have an afternoon nap later!

@Megabear2 what an horrendous experience you had! Appalling service as well trying to get the plumber. Everything seems to be a trial nowadays.

@Peanut006 so pleased to hear your mum has turned a corner. I loved her saying she won’t go out every day on holiday as Wimbledon is on 😁

We had a bit of a drama Wednesday. I was at home in the afternoon after being in the office earlier and luckily John was home. I got a call from Mum’s home saying she’d had a fall and she seemed ok but had bumped her head so had called the paramedics to check her out. They, of course, decided to take her to hospital  ‘ just in case’ which meant we had to rush to A&E because no one from the Home had gone with her .

The traffic was horrendous as it was raining hard and was school picking up time! Anyway we were’only’ there for about 2 hrs and she was declared fit to go. Phew! If they’d decided to do a scan it would have been hours more so we got lucky there. I thought things were going to be easier with Mum in the home! 

I hope your Mum feels better soon. It's good to know that her home and medics erred on the side of caution as bumps to the head are always tricky to decide on whether to seek medical help or not.  They sound so trivial but we should be less blasé really.  

• Like 6

Good morning all. Pouring with rain here this morning after a thick frost last night.

I’m sorry to hear about your Mum @P&O SUE but pleased to hear she was soon back home.

Went to the theatre last night and saw Giovanni from Strictly in his “Let me entertain you” show. It was amazing and one of the best shows I’ve ever been to. The live music and the dancing was just wonderful.  A long standing ovation was given at the end when Giovanni and the cast (including Lauren from Strictly) did a very fast jive to Proud Mary. Fab-u-lous !

I hope everyone has a good weekend.

Gill x

• Like 15

3 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Glad your mum is ok, they are a worry as I am finding out. The home did the right thing getting her checked out.

Michelle

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, Angel57 said:

Good morning all. Pouring with rain here this morning after a thick frost last night.

Yes just got your rain now , poured down so had cup of tea in bed 😁 lazy day here today watching rugby this evening and the Bournemouth footy 🥱 apparently I must dish up dinner before it all starts so he can settle down in peace 😂 .

Have a good day today everyone 

• Like 10

Good morning , 1.c frosty and sunny start to our day .

Funny how things go full circle ,how we had our mums worrying about us when we were younger and before you know it the tables are turned as they are older ?

Hope @Peanut006 was doing ok when you went to see her last night 

and glad to read @P&O SUE mum was ok and sent home by the Hozzie  🙂

Hope everyone has a good day  .Take care !

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, P&O SUE said:

Sorry to hear your mam bumped her head Sue.

Thankfully she sounds okay.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, brian1 said:

My Mrs had steroid jabs recently for CTS and has improved it greatly,luckily surgery was only a last resort.With the trigger finger,if it gets itchy just tell everyone to run.

I don't mind if they try Steroid injections first as long as I have a chance of going on the Arcadia cruise. I have cancelled 3 cruises this year leaving the Arcadia one and Iona to the Canaries in January.

• Like 9

Good morning.

Clear skies and sunny here.

It is 1°C and frost on the car windscreen.

Pauline is cooking breakfast which will be a nice change from my porridge.

We plan to watch a DVD this morning.

I hope everyone is safe and well especially Michelle's @Peanut006 mam and Sue's @P&O SUE mam and we all have a great day.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

Funny how things go full circle ,how we had our mums worrying about us when we were younger and before you know it the tables are turned as they are older

On Wednesday  I had an appointment at the Hospital where my daughter works.   OH  and myself always accompany each other on appointments, It somehow makes sure we remember everything between us!  

My daughter asked if she could accompany us.   Well,  talk about role reversal.  When she started asking the Consultant questions I felt like a two year old.  I shouldn't have felt a bit cross and put out but I did😀

Edited by indiana123
  • Like 5
  • Haha 5

A cold but sunny morning, currently 3C, most of early morning frost has gone.

Have been watching the Test Match this morning with 20 year old England spinner Shoab Bashir confusing the Indian batters, he has 4 wickets so far and considering he only made his debut for Somerset last June he has come a long way in such a short time. 

Will be booking a 4 day break in Yorkshire this morning, have found a place just outside York, ideal location for visiting the city, Castle Howard and few other places. 

• Like 6

Thanks all, I know the Home did the right thing but I was a bit grumpy they didn’t send anyone with her. She was sitting there all alone in a hospital wheelchair.

I hope I didn’t sound blasé but honestly she has done this sooooo many times! She’s tougher than she looks! One of my friends thinks she shouldn’t be falling if she is in a home, but she is very ‘naughty’ and won’t wait for anyone to help her! I’m proud she never fell once when staying with me because I followed her everywhere!

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Snow Hill said:

A cold but sunny morning, currently 3C, most of early morning frost has gone.

Have been watching the Test Match this morning with 20 year old England spinner Shoab Bashir confusing the Indian batters, he has 4 wickets so far and considering he only made his debut for Somerset last June he has come a long way in such a short time. 

Will be booking a 4 day break in Yorkshire this morning, have found a place just outside York, ideal location for visiting the city, Castle Howard and few other places. 

Ooh lovely, I’ve been looking at York but it’s quite expensive. I’ve been to Castle Howard once but it was raining hard so we didn’t see much of the gardens so would happily go again.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Ooh lovely, I’ve been looking at York but it’s quite expensive. I’ve been to Castle Howard once but it was raining hard so we didn’t see much of the gardens so would happily go again.

Have you tried Premier Inn Sue?We use them all the time and the £10 buffet breakfast will last you all day,lol.Read today they are 2nd in a poll of best hotel chains.Hope they're reading this I want a cheque in the post.😉

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Have you tried Premier Inn Sue?We use them all the time and the £10 buffet breakfast will last you all day,lol.Read today they are 2nd in a poll of best hotel chains.Hope they're reading this I want a cheque in the post.😉

I much prefer the Savoy in London. Voucher via pm please.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

16 minutes ago, brian1 said:

l’ve used Premier Inn many times. I’ve had an issue last couple of times we’ve used them, the air conditioning has been so fierce it put me off! I was in one in Poole in 2022 in June shivering! It was really annoying me blowing over my face while I was trying to sleep.

• Like 1