P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

29 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

You just brought back a lovely memory.

My dad had a big beetroot boiling pot which was purple even after it had been cleaned (it lived in the basement when not in use). He grew beetroot along with lots of other fruit and veg. The pot fitted over 3 of the gas rings. 

We ate beetroot for weeks (and weeks and weeks) along with mackerel, which we caught.

People grew (and caught or shot) a lot more food back in the day. I still grow herbs, rhubarb, soft fruits, apples etc but nothing like to the extent our family and neighbours did. People used to leave any surplus on each others door steps. One of our neighbours grew exotic things like purple broccoli, purple carrots and purple potatoes, you don’t even see purple veg now.

Can be a bit worrying at first when certain body products come out red.Sorry for TMI.Brian.

• Haha 5

23 hours ago, Palaceman said:

Why do eateries insist on putting raw onion in their salads? After all, it is a vegetable! 

I don’t mind as I like raw onion, especially red. Also isn’t the phrase ‘salad vegetables’?

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, brian1 said:

Can be a bit worrying at first when certain body products come out red.Sorry for TMI.Brian.

Not sure its the beetroot that did that Brian.

Pretty fair day here, Barnsley for breakfast a bit of pottering in the garden then sat out and read. 

Have a good weekend peeps, supposed to be a sunny warm day tomorrow.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

I don’t mind as I like raw onion, especially red. Also isn’t the phrase ‘salad vegetables’?

I quite like onion in salads. They take away the taste of the salad.🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Afternoon all. Pretty warm here but a nice breeze too. Just got back from visiting Mum. I’m a bit miffed with the Home as my mum has a Parkinson’s appointment at Maidstone hospital Tuesday. John and I happen to be both off so we said we’d take her. The home can arrange hospital transport but last time she waited for hours for her ride back and it’s about half hour journey. Anyway no problem.

Mum has bent her finger on one of her falls so the GP has organised a form for an X-ray at the local hospital. I got a call Thursday afternoon from the home saying could we take her as we’re going to the hospital. It’s a different hospital! 

Anyway I said we’d go later that Tuesday as it’s a walk in clinic. Yesterday I get a call saying am I not taking her for her X-ray! Erm no you said Tuesday and I was at work as was John. Then I phoned my sister and they’d phoned her and asked if she was taking her - she lives two hours away! I’m not being funny but they are paid literally thousands a month to look after her! Grrr. They are lucky we don’t work 9-5.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, brian1 said:

Been there at 3 am Glasgow airport. Thought I was I’ll then remembered - beetroot salad!

• Haha 3

Two beetroot pulled for boiling also have green beans with our evening meal, a mix of 2 varieties, one just green, the other green with purple flecks, a new variety I have tried for first time.

IMG_1941.jpeg

• Like 10

33 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

Two beetroot pulled for boiling also have green beans with our evening meal, a mix of 2 varieties, one just green, the other green with purple flecks, a new variety I have tried for first time.

IMG_1941.jpeg

You should send PandO the recipe.

• Haha 1

It has been a lovely sunny afternoon for bowling this afternoon.  We were away at a really nice club a little out of the city.  I won my game 21 14. The team won the match 179  81. Our B team also won 166 136.  We have kept our position  at the top of the league and our other team are in 3rd position so a great situation for the club to be in.

The only sour note of the afternoon was a player on the other team being nasty to one of our players, her family are from Eastern Europe and her opponent said that foreigners shouldn't be allowed to play.  His captain overheard and stopped the game and awarded the win to our player.  Our captain has said that he is reporting incident the league.

• Like 10

The beetroot story is quite right - one of my family actually went to the GP to report a worrying  problem, and was asked if he had been eating beetroot - and the answer was yes.  Problem solved.

• Like 6

We have been friends for a while now, right?  We have been through bad times together.  So I feel I can share my secrets!

Well, since he was a mere   lad I have championed the career of Joey Essex (except for Love Island .. horrible).  He found a niche and went for it.   He is   well over being a millionaire now.  No way  is he stupid.

Anyway my family found out he was doing a meet and greet in a Bier Keller/Night Club in  Maidstone,  and thought they would embarrass me  and we would all go.  Well what an afternoon that was.

I loved the noise, the dj, being with the young people and most of all Joey Essex.  He was fun, polite and a joy to chat with.  We talked about his early career, nothing was too much trouble,

I had as blast, but don't tell anyone.😍

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

Now is the time of night to tell secrets,  indiana,   Only me to read about them - and although I have heard of Joey Essex I don't know anything about him, so no judging here.  Just looked him up, and he must be fairly bright to be able to make a living by being famous!  Guess he has a nice personality, and that is why you like him.  Why not?

My little secret is that having had quite a few good sleeps I am not tonight, so have just made myself a hot toddy - supermarket whisky, demerara sugar and boiling water, and after a little read in bed hope to go back to sleep.

• Like 8

6 hours ago, indiana123 said:

We have been friends for a while now, right?  We have been through bad times together.  So I feel I can share my secrets!

Well, since he was a mere   lad I have championed the career of Joey Essex (except for Love Island .. horrible).  He found a niche and went for it.   He is   well over being a millionaire now.  No way  is he stupid.

Anyway my family found out he was doing a meet and greet in a Bier Keller/Night Club in  Maidstone,  and thought they would embarrass me  and we would all go.  Well what an afternoon that was.

I loved the noise, the dj, being with the young people and most of all Joey Essex.  He was fun, polite and a joy to chat with.  We talked about his early career, nothing was too much trouble,

Wasn’t he on SAS- Celebrity Who Dares Wins? I seem to remember he was quite tough and did well.

I don’t think he is quite as stupid as he acts sometimes 

Michelle

• Like 6

6 hours ago, indiana123 said:

It is good to hear when well known people are genuine down to earth nice people.

It is 15°C and partly sunny here.

I hope everyone is feeling well and looking forward to today.

• Like 6

Looks to be a dry sunny day today but looking at the weather maps could get a bit

damp tomorrow for some of us , so best make the most of it and enjoy whilst it lasts..

Whatever your up to ,have a good day  ! 

Edited by kalos
  • Like 5

It is beautiful sunny morning here so I decided to take the dog for a walk up to the top of the hill, through the woods and back along the lanes to get home this morning. We met our neighbour with their 2 dogs who were going absolutely loopy chasing each other.  My fitbit is already showing 23586 steps and the dog is collapsed on the kitchen floor.  I think he will be glad when he goes home on Wednesday so that he doesn't have to go for 2 or 3 long walks a day 😂

• Like 6

17 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

You just brought back a lovely memory.

My dad had a big beetroot boiling pot which was purple even after it had been cleaned (it lived in the basement when not in use). He grew beetroot along with lots of other fruit and veg. The pot fitted over 3 of the gas rings. 

We ate beetroot for weeks (and weeks and weeks) along with mackerel, which we caught.

People grew (and caught or shot) a lot more food back in the day. I still grow herbs, rhubarb, soft fruits, apples etc but nothing like to the extent our family and neighbours did. People used to leave any surplus on each others door steps. One of our neighbours grew exotic things like purple broccoli, purple carrots and purple potatoes, you don’t even see purple veg now.

My husband has an allotment. He has grown most things in purple. However when cooked they either revert to their original colour, or turn grey. Believe me grey cabbage is not an appetising sight

• Like 8

Morning all, phew it’s a hot one for sure! I’ve had about 45 minutes in my garden but I’ve come in now as it’s so hot! And my garden faces North! Might go back out later when there’s more shade.

Unlike Kalos our weather is supposed to be even hotter tomorrow- 31! 🥵 I’ve got to walk home in the heat of the day-eek! Stay cool everyone…

• Like 6

9 hours ago, indiana123 said:

Glad you had a good time and Joey didn’t disappoint. I must admit most of the shows he’s on I don’t watch but I did see him on the Jungle I think? He absolutely isn’t as dumb as he used to make out - in the early days I think he did put it on. He’s grown up now and your experience shows he is a good guy. Always great when stars give time for their fans.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, lincslady said:

Now is the time of night to tell secrets,  indiana,   Only me to read about them - and although I have heard of Joey Essex I don't know anything about him, so no judging here.  Just looked him up, and he must be fairly bright to be able to make a living by being famous!  Guess he has a nice personality, and that is why you like him.  Why not?

My little secret is that having had quite a few good sleeps I am not tonight, so have just made myself a hot toddy - supermarket whisky, demerara sugar and boiling water, and after a little read in bed hope to go back to sleep.

My secret is I have never watched Love island,towi etc and don't watch strictly..I did watch strictly ballroom though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

My secret is I have never watched Love island,towi etc and don't watch strictly..I did watch strictly ballroom though.

My two rules about secrets are

1.. never give all your secrets away 😉 

A bit too hot to cook lunch today so had a turkey and beef with a nice cool drink

20240811_125413.thumb.jpg.830cb6521b8f4feac4f20ca2d02b5a0e.jpg

• Like 7

Spent yesterday morning in the eye clinic with various tests pre op.When I asked the optometrist  is it all drops and lasers nowdays.She said only a little scalpel cut at the bottom of the eyeball,you wont see or feel a thing.I'm booked in for next friday morning already,AAAAAAGH.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, kalos said:

My two rules about secrets are

1.. never give all your secrets away 😉 

A bit too hot to cook lunch today so had a turkey and beef with a nice cool drink

20240811_125413.thumb.jpg.830cb6521b8f4feac4f20ca2d02b5a0e.jpg

OK. We had Dinner at a secret restaurant.  I can't tell you which one as it's a secret. Prince Andrew wasn't there...again.

• Haha 4