P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

29 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

It's a pity how all markets are dying Andy, or going into purpose built buildings. The entire market atmosphere has totally disappeared. 

Avril

Perhaps the demise of markets and the high street is something to do with folk buying all their groceries  and  stuff online. 🤔

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Wow, Debenhams was huge... 

Peter the Pleater once paid £100k for a pitch back in the 80s, you could get it for a tenner now... 

Such a shame how the market has died... 

Andy 

Just the ground floor but still quite big.The market is clinging on although half the size it was,Brian.PS a mate of mine had a trouser stall and when Wackaday came on the telly he decided to have a load of Malletts mallets made up from foam.He made a fortune until the new fire regs came in about foam,lol.

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Perhaps the demise of markets and the high street is something to do with folk buying all their groceries  and  stuff online. 🤔

I think pound shops etc were the first nail in the coffin. 

Especially when they started selling broken biscuits where even the custard creams tasted like ginger nuts... 😂

Andy 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Especially when they started selling broken biscuits where even the custard creams tasted like ginger nuts... 😂

Andy 

Which reminds me of a cheap shop on the main street of Stockton on Tees back in the 90s selling cheap meat pies in an open crate, with flies literally crawling over the pies. Etched in my memory.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Andy 

When I was young there was a local Carr's biscuit factory that sold big tins of broken biscuits for pence to its staff. We always had a couple of tins in the larder - yum yum 🤤

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Which reminds me of a cheap shop on the main street of Stockton on Tees back in the 90s selling cheap meat pies in an open crate, with flies literally crawling over the pies. Etched in my memory.

Uurrggghhh... 

In India, we wanted to try 'authentic' Indian 'sweets', which we had seen looking lovely in the refrigerated cabinets in Green Street etc. 

A tour guide took us to the best one in the country!!! 

Flies and all sorts of insects covered them but they said not to worry, they will brush them off... 

Andy 

• Like 4

I think spring has sprung, as long as you’re in a spot sheltered from the chilly wind.  The hedges were alive with birdsong this morning, and every sports pitch had some sort of youthful game or training,

Saw this lovely herald of spring

D45407FE-E09D-46F2-85A4-7D5BBC651BDC.thumb.jpeg.98ef03a4355e6ab666a0211d55d0bebd.jpeg

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

Farmers markets are popular up here with mainly food, drink and some crafts but the ones selling general goods are all but gone in this area.

There is a farmer's market in Stone once a month, our neighbour has a stall there selling wooden bird boxes and gardening trugs etc that her husband makes from old pallets and she decorates.  Whenever we go there we always end up buying foods such as pies and cakes.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 10:54 AM, brian1 said:

If you don't mind could you post the name of the b&b.We're always looking for alternative accommodation from Premier Inns for weekend breaks.Cheers,Brian.

Hello Brian- just back from our night out.  The b and b was terrific,   just read the Trip advisor reports, all describe it perfectly.  It is called Rose Cottage, in Brant Broughton,  near Newark but in Lincs.  Beautifully furnished, and immaculate;  charming owners, and excellent British breakfast.  Our only slight disappointment that the pub just up the road, which has friendly and efficient staff, was not quite as good foodwise as I was expecting -  fairly good but not 'gastro'.  Still a nice place though.

My daughter said that if she was staying round here when I don't  have room, they would definitely choose it over the Newark Premier Inn.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Josy1953 said:

There is a farmer's market in Stone once a month, our neighbour has a stall there selling wooden bird boxes and gardening trugs etc that her husband makes from old pallets and she decorates.  Whenever we go there we always end up buying foods such as pies and cakes.

I like the vegetables straight from the fields (including the dirt), fresh butter, cheese etc. You can also pick up some good game meat.

Like your friends husband the crafts are usually sold by the person making them.

In summer farmers put punnets off raspberries, strawberries, eggs, potatoes etc on a stall/ crate at the side of the road with an honesty box. You can drive by and get the freshest berries for half the price the supermarkets charge and the profit goes straight to the farmer.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

Uurrggghhh... 

In India, we wanted to try 'authentic' Indian 'sweets', which we had seen looking lovely in the refrigerated cabinets in Green Street etc. 

Flies and all sorts of insects covered them but they said not to worry, they will brush them off... 

Andy 

Added protein, insects will be the next major source!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, zap99 said:

I don't think online shopping was the cause zap.The 'classic' type of market began it's decline years ago when towns decided to 'modernise' their centres. The original Barnsley Market was very popular, with coaches arriving from all areas on market days. My aunt would come from Hounslow each year for a visit and bring an empty suitcase to take home things she would buy at the market. The sounds, sights and smells I can still remember. All sadly now firmly in the past.

Avril

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

The last real market we went to was Bury market. It was maybe 15 years ago now, so that's probably gone now or 'updated'. We went into Weatherspoons for lunch as I remember, which was close by.

Avril

5 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

I don't think online shopping was the cause zap.The 'classic' type of market began it's decline years ago when towns decided to 'modernise' their centres. The original Barnsley Market was very popular, with coaches arriving from all areas on market days. My aunt would come from Hounslow each year for a visit and bring an empty suitcase to take home things she would buy at the market. The sounds, sights and smells I can still remember. All sadly now firmly in the past.

Avril

We have just lost our popular weekly market as the land is going to be developed.

Parking is often an issue too (either full or complicated payment methods).

Gill

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I don't know how good these are, compared with those you buy locally (which sound amazing) but they're the nearest we'll get, and they're very good.  I wish they were more widely available!

https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/north-staffordshire-oatcakes-x6?productId=80674

Awful just like eating cardboard nothing like a fresh proper oatcakes. The best use for them as stepping stones in the garden.

50 minutes ago, Josy1953 said:

Even though born in Stoke and lived there until 1991 havent returned much since parent passed away so miss out on "proper" oatcakes and Wrights Pies form their shops. We visit Stone market every month just for Foleys Oatcakes and then the rest of the month we manage with Povey's which we can get locally. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

The last real market we went to was Bury market. It was maybe 15 years ago now, so that's probably gone now or 'updated'. We went into Weatherspoons for lunch as I remember, which was close by.

Avril

Bury market is still going Avril but it is nothing like it used to be, Covid has certainly taken its toll as there was a noticeable decline from when we went just before covid to last Nov when we last went. I remember Barnsley market from my childhood and what an exiting place it was for us to visit, what I remember most was that the wind used to blow through and it always seemed to feel cold. We had so many local market towns that were good for an afternoon out, most sadly gone or in decline.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Bury market is still going Avril but it is nothing like it used to be, Covid has certainly taken its toll as there was a noticeable decline from when we went just before covid to last Nov when we last went. I remember Barnsley market from my childhood and what an exiting place it was for us to visit, what I remember most was that the wind used to blow through and it always seemed to feel cold. We had so many local market towns that were good for an afternoon out, most sadly gone or in decline.

It’s a shame, though some places, mainly rural, still keep reasonable markets. Funnily enough, some central London markets like Leather Lane and Lower Marsh seem to be surviving by switching to street food. Wouldn’t work as well outside major cities though.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

'Lady Michelle' and I visited Highclere Castle today, it was fantastic. 

The history was fascinating and the Egyptian exhibition mind blowing... 

It was a great day. 

Hope you all had a good day. 

Andy

IMG_20220226_145604.jpg

Loved it here, went with my Mum about 3 years ago, we’re big Downton Abbey fans. The big surprise for me was the Egyptian Exhibition which was really interesting 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, yorkshirephil said:

Barnsley market was a fun place when I was younger. All the traders shouting out their goods and prices, the kiddies roundabout with the ringing bells and horns, the smell of fish & chips, Pie & peas and hotdogs with onions and I suppose I should mention the fish market😬.

Do you remember Joe Edwards pot stall Phil? Now there was a character, juggling pots and throwing around baskets of crockery auctioning them off, and I never saw him break one. Sailor Sid's sweet stall is the last of the original traders left, now run by his grandson and still wearing his grandad's sailors hat. It's sad to see the end of an era, but mustn't stand in the way progress I suppose.😒

Avril

• Like 1

Not a good day with the weather in Lanzarote, unusually chilly and cloudy. Still a great cruise and we love Iona, but heard some moans about its size. Don't people do any research before booking ?  Two good dinner shows in the Limelight Club and the highlight for us is Neil Lockwood of ELO part 11, in the theatre. Another 5 days, just hope the weather improves.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Harry.

I have had sales calls on Stockton high Street since 1977 and never seen this.

Graham.

2 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

Uurrggghhh... 

Andy 

I have seen this in the back streets of Naples Italy.

Graham

• Like 1