P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

I haven't seen the postings for the last couple of days so have been catching up.  As far as bins are concerned we only have two bins, blue for recycling and green for the normal waste.  We also have bags for garden rubbish which are collected on the same day as the blue, recycling bin.  We can't dispose of bottles in either bin so they have to be taken to a bottle bank.  Our bins are collected alternately, green one week, blue the next.  There are no separate facilities for food waste.  Generally our collections are good, on a Friday morning about 7am.

We have friends in Dorset and they have an amazing number of bins, boxes and goodness knows what.  We are in Hampshire and relatives who only live about 8 miles away but in a different borough council have a bottle collection so even in the same area things can be different.

I also read about food deliveries, particularly Ocado.  I have shopped with Ocado for the last nearly 10 years since breaking my ankle.  I have always found them to be good and since lockdown they have given me an exceptional service.  My husband was on the Shielding List and I've been able to get a delivery all the way through, though not always on the days I would like but that's no problem.  The variety of things that Ocado sell, outside food is amazing.  I have on occasions, pre-lockdown, used Waitrose but the trouble there was I could only have items that were in stock in my local branch whereas Ocado comes from a general warehouse so doesn't have that problem.  During lockdown I've had a few omissions but not many and usually the substitutes if they gave them were ok.  I like the fact that the delivery window is only an hour which, even during lockdown they have kept to.  I am pleased that they are now joining with M&S from September and look forward to see what they are stocking from them.  I've read that the normal, everyday items that are usually available from Waitrose will be available from M&S and if there are items that in the past were not stocked by M&S they have been developing them.  I have always found the reviews on Ocado to be generally reliable and what I do like is people often give ideas as to how they have used different items.  So for me I will certainly carry on with Ocado.

2 hours ago, SarahHben said:

The same for us, our blue box disappeared ages ago and we’ve painted our door number on our brown wheelie bin. I’m so grateful that we have weekly collections even through the last 3 or 4 months

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hubby did wonder if the council took it as we noticed there’s not many about! Mind you we’ve had it about 20 years!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

Hubby did wonder if the council took it as we noticed there’s not many about! Mind you we’ve had it about 20 years!

A couple of our neighbours still use theirs, several others use the weighted blue and white bags, but our ones of those went missing too 🙄 so we just buy big recycling bags now.

• Like 1

Did anyone see Boris' press conference this morning? I heard him answer a question about Grandparents and childcare and it sounded like we don't have to stay a metre away from our Grandchildren now. Did anyone else get the same impression?

I didn’t see it, so don’t know.  I’m not sure how confident I am with any of his/the cabinet’s pronouncements anyway.  Wear a mask (from next Friday) for shopping in Tesco but not for queuing at Greggs.  What’s that about? 🙄

I didn’t hear it because I’ve had a nearly normal morning - Waitrose delivery, everything there & free apricots because they’re at their sell-by date, 14 year old cats given a clean bill of health at their annual vet appointment, and their immunisations in case we ever kennel them again, then a lovely half-hour riverside walk to the pub, table outside, fish & chips and glass of cider and walk home.  Nice and sunny.  We’re even doing OK in the cricket

I forgot to take a “before” pic - here’s a “during” 😀

All in all, today feels good.  Hope everyone is ok too

FB5E5AFD-BE1F-4BC5-8F31-60558FCDDD6C.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, SarahHben said:

Did anyone see Boris' press conference this morning? I heard him answer a question about Grandparents and childcare and it sounded like we don't have to stay a metre away from our Grandchildren now. Did anyone else get the same impression?

I saw it and got the same impression although he seemed to be unsure about whether he was right or not. I am completely unsure about who can see who and how many, is it indoors or outside, 1 metre, 2 metres or none and what happens when the bubble pops 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, pete14 said:

I saw it and got the same impression although he seemed to be unsure about whether he was right or not. I am completely unsure about who can see who and how many, is it indoors or outside, 1 metre, 2 metres or none and what happens when the bubble pops 😇

Interesting , my grandson’s mum says I can’t look after him until social distancing is over 🤔 She’s started to go back one day a week when my son has him.

As clear as mud then [emoji23]
My daughter would like me to be able to look after the baby every now and then, she’s exhausted, but all of his life, minus the first 2 weeks have been in lockdown and he panics if he can’t see his mummy

Interesting , my grandson’s mum says I can’t look after him until social distancing is over [emoji848] She’s started to go back one day a week when my son has him.

Will your son bring him round to you on his days? It must be very difficult for you, you have my sympathies!

13 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

Will your son bring him round to you on his days? It must be very difficult for you, you have my sympathies!

Thankyou. I was going to suggest that last week but I found he’d arranged to pop in on my mum and dad, which was nice for them! Trouble is I’m working til 1pm myself  and he goes and picks her up at 230! They both agree they’ll have to bring him over a few times before I can have him again as he’s got a bit clingy now 😥

Must be hard for you and your daughter too. This darn virus!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I didn’t see it, so don’t know.  I’m not sure how confident I am with any of his/the cabinet’s pronouncements anyway.  Wear a mask (from next Friday) for shopping in Tesco but not for queuing at Greggs.  What’s that about? 🙄

I didn’t hear it because I’ve had a nearly normal morning - Waitrose delivery, everything there & free apricots because they’re at their sell-by date, 14 year old cats given a clean bill of health at their annual vet appointment, and their immunisations in case we ever kennel them again, then a lovely half-hour riverside walk to the pub, table outside, fish & chips and glass of cider and walk home.  Nice and sunny.  We’re even doing OK in the cricket

I forgot to take a “before” pic - here’s a “during” 😀

All in all, today feels good.  Hope everyone is ok too

FB5E5AFD-BE1F-4BC5-8F31-60558FCDDD6C.jpeg

The Avacado mousse looks a bit lumpy😁

2 hours ago, Eddie99 said:

I’m not sure how confident I am with any of his/the cabinet’s pronouncements anyway.  Wear a mask (from next Friday) for shopping in Tesco but not for queuing at Greggs.  What’s that about? 🙄

109675534_10156899394541627_6550077163333647892_n.thumb.jpg.13a74570628ab82fa95339c6c802c5be.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SarahHben said:

I watched it and what he said is that it’s OK if you are in the same ‘bubble’ as your grandchildren’s family. That has been the case for some time, so no change. The difficulty comes if you have grandchildren from more than one family, as you can only form a bubble with one family and not keep changing them. Unfortunately, he also said that full relaxation of restrictions regarding families is not going to be until “November at the earliest” which was a surprise to me and isn’t being widely reported. 

I watched it and what he said is that it’s OK if you are in the same ‘bubble’ as your grandchildren’s family. That has been the case for some time, so no change. The difficulty comes if you have grandchildren from more than one family, as you can only form a bubble with one family and not keep changing them. Unfortunately, he also said that full relaxation of restrictions regarding families is not going to be until “November at the earliest” which was a surprise to me and isn’t being widely reported. 

I heard him say about bubbles, but bubbles have only been for one adult households to join with another household. My daughter has a partner so can’t form a bubble with my husband and me. I thought the lady who asked the question in the press conference was also in a two adult household which is why I surprised when Boris said it should be ok.

6 minutes ago, SarahHben said:

I heard him say about bubbles, but bubbles have only been for one adult households to join with another household. My daughter has a partner so can’t form a bubble with my husband and me. I thought the lady who asked the question in the press conference was also in a two adult household which is why I surprised when Boris said it should be ok.

Apologies, I thought the lady was a single grandmother and, yes, you are quite right that the current rules for bubbles are that it must be a lone grandparent, not a couple. Seems to defy logic to me. The trouble with restrictions that are either difficult to understand or don’t make sense (or both) is that people will ignore them. It would be the grandparents who are taking the risk and I suspect that, at this stage, it’s a risk that many are prepared to take. That certainly seems to be the case with some of my neighbours. 

On a different matter, we went to a local pub for lunch today for the second Friday in a row. Last week there was just one other couple. This week there were at least 20 people, so people are gradually gaining confidence. Have to say that the controls that the pub had in place were excellent and made for a pleasant experience. 

• Like 1

Apologies, I thought the lady was a single grandmother and, yes, you are quite right that the current rules for bubbles are that it must be a lone grandparent, not a couple. Seems to defy logic to me. The trouble with restrictions that are either difficult to understand or don’t make sense (or both) is that people will ignore them. It would be the grandparents who are taking the risk and I suspect that, at this stage, it’s a risk that many are prepared to take. That certainly seems to be the case with some of my neighbours. 

On a different matter, we went to a local pub for lunch today for the second Friday in a row. Last week there was just one other couple. This week there were at least 20 people, so people are gradually gaining confidence. Have to say that the controls that the pub had in place were excellent and made for a pleasant experience. 

I may have misheard or misunderstood, I’ll rewatch it later.
We’re young grandparents, although my kids would laugh at that! I’m 52 & my husband is 53. We don’t feel particularly high risk, but saying that, a former neighbour, who is our age, was very unwell with the virus and sadly died after 7 weeks of being in hospital so maybe we aren’t as low risk as we would like to think [emoji15]

Thankyou. I was going to suggest that last week but I found he’d arranged to pop in on my mum and dad, which was nice for them! Trouble is I’m working til 1pm myself  and he goes and picks her up at 230! They both agree they’ll have to bring him over a few times before I can have him again as he’s got a bit clingy now [emoji26]

Must be hard for you and your daughter too. This darn virus!

We’re more fortunate than many, our daughter has no garden so she’s been coming to our garden to introduce the baby to extended family,so I get to see them even if it’s not me she’s coming over for. I think he recognises us now, but he only has eyes for his mum.
I hope you get to see your grandson more very soon.

When single parent bubbles were announced. (It was done to stop the adults feeling isolated.) My daughter phoned us and said we could now take GD out as she didn't see why single parent children could see their grandparents and not ours. That translates as "we are knackered, please take her for a while!" The first time granddaughter was in the house I was making lunch and she came to get me, "look" she said. I couldn't see anything unusual then she said "I can sit on his knee now." Priceless. So we have a family bubble. Larger than it's meant to be, but life has to move on.

• Like 1