P&O Cruisers - What are things like where YOU are?

Host Sharon

18 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I know we are meant to obey the rules,  but things have now got to the stage that all this bubble nonsense has got out of hand. Go to a pub, sit at one table, and all your family members, friends etc, can sit at tables either side of you. 

My Mum is now happy as Larry  - she's off to the M&S cafe  everyday to meet up with her friends.  Is it right,  I dont know,  but I'm not going to argue with a bunch of 90 year olds! 

I gave myself away then, didn't I? We started off meeting in the garden. However this is the family home so youngest was in for all the toys she hadn't seen for months, everyone went to the bathroom, drinks were in the fridge, and then they were making tea. After four garden events the weather turned so we made an executive decision and we are now a bubble. We are also having a family holiday. Only one of us is going in to work so we feel as safe together as apart.

Also our home is between two councils and between them there has only been two cases in the last two weeks and no deaths for longer.

My Mum lives in retirement flats. She had her hairdresser back weeks before everyone else and her cleaners been back a while also. Another 92 year old anarchist!

• Like 3

Popped into Lincoln with Lady W. Whilst not exactly empty,  the city centre really quiet. Probably no more than 30 people in M&S. Slightly more in Primark, but nothing compared to normal. 

Unless things perk up, the High Street will be decimated.  Come on peeps - get out there and shop!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Popped into Lincoln with Lady W. Whilst not exactly empty,  the city centre really quiet. Probably no more than 30 people in M&S. Slightly more in Primark, but nothing compared to normal. 

Unless things perk up, the High Street will be decimated.  Come on peeps - get out there and shop!

People need to have a reason to buy things wowzz, and as more people have been buying on line they also need to be buying things that are best checked out by touch and feel. I think the High streets will struggle to win back all the lost customers, and the high street was finding it hard to manage before the covid crisis, so there will be more failures.

1 hour ago, wowzz said:

In Chesterfield I think the main reason (apart from expensive car parking!)for fewer people in the town is that on a week day it is mainly retired people in town a lot of who travel into town by bus. I know very few over 65's who will travel by bus at the moment unless its important.People will still shop in Primark as they have no online shopping  service and I buy food in M and S which  doesn t offer an online service for its own food products.I purchased a dress from Debenhams last week in case we ever cruise again!! so am doing my bit(thats what I told my hubby anyway!)

• Like 4

I'm doing my best. I've been to the shopping centre four times since it opened. I'm also going to take my Granddaughter and let her spend money in Primark since I heard they were not going to take the funds offered for taking back their staff. I think a list should be published of all firms doing this so we could give them extra support.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ann141 said:

M and S which  doesn t offer an online service for its own food products.

Good news!!!" M & S start home delivery in September.  It may not be the complete range.  They are teaming up with Ocado.

Can't wait!!!!!!😊

• Like 1

On 7/13/2020 at 11:44 AM, ann141 said:

Is that the castle with the beautiful beach below? We toured the area a few years ago and I get some of the castles muddled up!

This is a better photo of Bamburgh Castle and the village we visited on Monday.

Graham.

IMG-20200715-WA0006.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 5

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

This is a better photo of Bamburgh Castle and the village we visited on Monday.

Graham.

IMG-20200715-WA0006.jpg

Beautiful 🙂 We had a lovely weeks holiday a few years ago exploring the Northumbrian coast including Lindisfarne and seeing puffins on the Farne Islands.(from Seahouses?)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, indiana123 said:

Good news!!!" M & S start home delivery in September.  It may not be the complete range.  They are teaming up with Ocado.

Can't wait!!!!!!😊

A great shame M&S chose Ocado as their partner in this enterprise. 

The worst performing of all the food suppliers recently,  unable even to keep its own website open, let alone provide delivery slots.  Awful company to deal with in every possible way,  quite apart from the high prices and the £6.99 delivery charge. 

35 minutes ago, ann141 said:

Beautiful 🙂 We had a lovely weeks holiday a few years ago exploring the Northumbrian coast including Lindisfarne and seeing puffins on the Farne Islands.(from Seahouses?)

Yes there are regular ferries from Seahouses across to the Farne Islands.

A couple of miles further north is Holy Island where you can drive across the causeway to reach the Island but you need to watch the tide times as the sea covers the causeway and cuts the Island off from the mainland for several hours.

Graham.

• Like 1

That's a real shame. Sorry you didn't have the experience we did.

I don't shop there all the time, but pay £1.49 a month for free deliveries on Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday.

Because of this they let me have fortnightly then weekly deliveries all through lockdown.  I was extremely lucky, I was never let down.  

Hope it continues 

Edited by indiana123
Beginning to doubt myself.. it may be £2.49
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

A great shame M&S chose Ocado as their partner in this enterprise. 

The worst performing of all the food suppliers recently,  unable even to keep its own website open, let alone provide delivery slots.  Awful company to deal with in every possible way,  quite apart from the high prices and the £6.99 delivery charge. 

For us, as regular customers, Ocado have been excellent throughout the last few months. Obviously, they and others, have limited capacity so many non regular shoppers have not been able to make use of their service. Seems fair to me. 

20 minutes ago, pete14 said:

For us, as regular customers, Ocado have been excellent throughout the last few months. Obviously, they and others, have limited capacity so many non regular shoppers have not been able to make use of their service. Seems fair to me. 

I'm afraid my experiences with them, even as an existing customer, have been awful.  Sainsbury and Tesco, however have really stepped up to the mark. Iceland too, but a much more limited range.

Ocado had to be warned recently by Trustpilot about what appeared to be fake reviews (Trustpilot warns Ocado after influx of five-star reviews) and I'm afraid that left me with even less trust in them.

Glad you've had positive experiences.

13 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

People need to have a reason to buy things wowzz, and as more people have been buying on line they also need to be buying things that are best checked out by touch and feel. I think the High streets will struggle to win back all the lost customers, and the high street was finding it hard to manage before the covid crisis, so there will be more failures.

We have been shopping online over the last 4 months, we always did our grocery shop online before all this kicked off, so far have purchased clothes, light bulbs, hinges for outside utility cupboard (old ones had rusted), Solar lights, new duvet, books, birthday cards, wine, seeds, compost, other garden bits & pieces. Only one item had to be return as faulty and Hermes picked that up yesterday. Downside is that we had a garage full of cardboard boxes and packing, smaller boxes went in recycling bag and yesterday went to recycling centre to dump the larger boxes and packing. 

At the moment no need to go out shopping, it comes to us. 

• Like 1

Snow Hill, most local authorities will take additional recycling as part of the normal collection service. May be worth checking with yours.

Strange times - never for a moment did I think my expertise in bin collections would ever be needed on a cruising forum😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Snow Hill, most local authorities will take additional recycling as part of the normal collection service. May be worth checking with yours.

Strange times - never for a moment did I think my expertise in bin collections would ever be needed on a cruising forum😄

Just to add my twopenny worth, our local authority have just charged me £20 to take a kingsize mattress away. It took them 15 days. At least it's finally gone 😊

Avril 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Just to add my twopenny worth, our local authority have just charged me £20 to take a kingsize mattress away. It took them 15 days. At least it's finally gone 😊

Avril 

At least it was quicker than a P&O refund.😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Snow Hill said:

We have been shopping online over the last 4 months, we always did our grocery shop online before all this kicked off, so far have purchased clothes, light bulbs, hinges for outside utility cupboard (old ones had rusted), Solar lights, new duvet, books, birthday cards, wine, seeds, compost, other garden bits & pieces. Only one item had to be return as faulty and Hermes picked that up yesterday. Downside is that we had a garage full of cardboard boxes and packing, smaller boxes went in recycling bag and yesterday went to recycling centre to dump the larger boxes and packing. 

At the moment no need to go out shopping, it comes to us. 

Our cardboard can go in our green recycling bin, which is big enough to take the biggest boxes once they are flattened.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Our cardboard can go in our green recycling bin, which is big enough to take the biggest boxes once they are flattened.

We have a large blue bin specifically for paper and cardboard. Our green bin is for garden waste only. My husband has been proved right (for once) I can talk a load of rubbish sometimes. 😆

Avril 

It is daft. Here we use the green bin for waste, grey bin for recycling. Adjoining areas do the exact opposite.

We rented a holiday cottage in North Yorkshire a couple of years ago. It had 4 open plastic boxes (revealing the embarrassingly large number of wine bottles) for the various types of recycling plus a plastic laundry bag type thing for paper - sorting it out was a pain, particularly as it was winter and they were all outside.

What a riveting conversation😃

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Crazy, isn’t it, that we don’t have one national system of refuse collection, with standardised bins, colours, types of refuse etc instead of a piecemeal series of different local systems.

It is Harry, but what is even worse is that some local authorities, ours is one, will not accept all items that are marked as recyclable, foil trays being one of them, surely all metals should be top of the recycling list. 

PS I much prefer your new Avatar, so no surprise there then?

Edited by terrierjohn

8 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

It is Harry, but what is even worse is that some local authorities, ours is one, will not accept all items that are marked as recyclable, foil trays being one of them, surely all metals should be top of the recycling list. 

To carry on with this absorbing chat, ours will accept foil trays, but not yoghurt containers which are also marked as recyclable. I think it depends on the type of recycle station that is beind used. Apparently they're not all the same, or so our local authority tells me.

Avril 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnnieC said:

Mine does as well, I have been putting out each fortnight, except when I put it out a fortnight ago,most of it was blown away down the street after some kind soul moved the wheely bin with the can, bottles etc in which was holding it down. Decided to to take rest to RC yesterday as much easier to get rid of in one go, plus I had some other items to get rid off, our old kettle which packed up a few weeks ago and my 20 year old garden shredder which gave up about 2 months ago. 

Edited by Snow Hill